[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /asp/ I'm new to aikido (just graded from 8th to 7th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: o.jpg (16 KB, 268x400) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
16 KB, 268x400
hey /asp/

I'm new to aikido (just graded from 8th to 7th kyu) and I'm enjoying it a lot but my sensei keeps telling me my muscles are hard

I spent the greater part of my adolescence sitting in front of a computer and have started to become more active within the last six months.

What would you guys recommend to "soften" my muscles? I've been stretching a lot and my flexibility is going up but my teachers still say my muscles are too hard despite.

Any advice?
>>
Should note that I'm in Japan so the Japanese word for hard (he said "katai") probably means differently to the English bodybuilding-type hard muscles
>>
>>1374904
your teacher will be saying stuff like that for a long time. Consider yoga or some internal training and keep stretching.
>>
File: 1463515950496.jpg (32 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
1463515950496.jpg
32 KB, 385x385
>>1374904
s-senpai your big muscle is getting hard again please soften it before we grab each other more
maybe you should wrestle with someone less sexy
>>
>>1374936
judo is wrestling
aikido isn't wrestling nerd
>>
>>1374927
This basically. Relax.
>>
>>1374904
Start by practicing irimi-nage... A lot. You have to have a good waist and body movement to do aikido effectively. Doing basic stretching exercises and loosing the waist will aid in your aikido practice.

Aikido takes a while to get it. You have to practice irimi, tenshin a lot since the movement serves as the fulcrum for how aikido uses "intrinsic energy" to make the opponent defeat themselves. You must learn how to relax and use whole body power instead of just force to use aikido.

I recommend training a lot with a black belt that can correct your form and you can feel what kind of body you need to develop.
>>
>>1374904
He wants you to be a noodly faggot that can't defend himself just like every aikidoka. Consider Judo and wrestling.
>>
He wants you to stop resisting when your opponent tries to throw you without actually saying it because you might realise you're learning to dance.
>>
>>1375057
They say the same thing to you when your practicing judo throws and falls. even in randori if you resist past a certain point you will get hurt.

your not suppose to be stiff when you throw someone either.
>>
>>1375043
There's a lot of misunderstanding with aikido and many things aikido can add to your Arsenal if taught correctly. Aikido is a great way of breaking up conflicts without excessive injury.
>>
>>1375097
You can do that with Judo and BJJ though, and those have the benefit of actually working. Or, you know, typically just basic people and situation skills. Learn a martial art that isn't shit, please.
>>
>>1375105
aikido isn't in the right hands. Notice I never said just aikido; having a full range of workable technique is important. But you're knocking aikido without a basic understanding of what aikido is.
>>
>>1375193
>discourages aliveness in training
>teaches unrealistic defenses towards the shittiest possible attacks only
>full of pseudo-religious mumbo jumbo
>refuses to update itself
>you yourself admit it "isn't in the right hands"

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bud. Judo, BJJ and wrestling will still be there if you ever want to completely move away from nonsense.
>>
>>1375211
To be honest, I get quite a lot out aikido for Judo and BJJ

>excellent footwork for guard passes
>also excellent for evading throws
>sneaky wrist lock nobody sees coming
>wrist control - I even use my own trapped wrists to unbalance people
>balance
>far more thorough understanding of body mechanics
>modified irimi nage/kokyu nage/shiho nage

And probably more stuff I'm forgetting. There's a standing arm bar set up - close to Judo waki gatame - I stopped using because it was too dangerous.
>>
>>1375251
Whatever helps you sleep at night, bud. I'm sure pretending to be Steven Seagal has totally helped you in the Judo and BJJ you most certainly also practice. Totally.
>>
>>1375211
Maybe you should watch this first, and then stfu. You decide in which order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMl-ROmWfwA
>>
>>1375258
>>1375258
I've won matches in BJJ and grappling competitions on wrist locks, I'm okay.

Also, brown belt in Judo and blue belt in BJJ. Overdue shodan and purple next year.
>>
>>1375851
Please, tell me more about your outstanding career as a martial artist. We should set up a meeting with Goju Guy.
>>
>>1375851
Hello fellow wrist locker.

What's your favorite setup? Mine's the omoplata. Every time, they just give me the S-Lock from there.
>>
File: 1465693848969.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1465693848969.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>1375887
Well then. Here's the result of the last two Judo shiai tournaments I did. Win a match, immediately face new opponent until loss or win with less than waza-ari difference. Won 2 more matches by yuko. On a local level, I do well enough.

>>1375913
I'm not really working on them now, but generally
>sankyo/kote hineri from closed guard, half guard or as back take escape
>nikyo through guard
>random standing kote gaeshi
>gokyo from anywhere I can isolate an arm
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.