[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /asp/ I decided to come here after no luck on /adv/ I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1452654199877.jpg (171 KB, 1180x787) Image search: [Google]
1452654199877.jpg
171 KB, 1180x787
Hello /asp/
I decided to come here after no luck on /adv/
I want to learn a martial art for self defense because Im an unarmed security guard. However I want to minimize the damage to my body while I train so Ive narrowed it down to Judo and Boxing. I decided not go with BJJ because classes are too expensive, and not Kickboxing because injuries are much too common and its not necessary when defending against the average joe. What do you think?
>>
>>1372687
What about guns?
>>
>>1372696
I see reading comp isn't your forte'...
But Its probably my fault since I should have clarified I want to learn a martial art for dealing with people on the job since im an unarmed security guard. We aren't allowed to carry any guns, but we can restrain and detain visitors on property that are combative. Ive seen one of my coworkers punch some guy trying to choke a nurse and I just stood there unable to do anything because I don't know how to fight.
>>
>>1372698
Then why not ask your coworkers?
>>
>>1372699
But isn't this the board for these kinds of questions??
wtf
>>
>>1372700
It is, it's just that people that actually care about martial arts don't seem be here right now.
Anyway, I would not pass on a chance to bond with my coworkers but each to his own.
>>
Don't you have any basic courses for that kind of thing in your profession? Those are good and cheap options but I imagine that there could be a liability to slamming someone or knocking them out. What do your more experienced coworkers recommend?
>>
>>1372717
You overestimate the training of security guards...
We aren't soldiers. We don't get that kind of training. We just sit through a 2 day class of powerpoints and go to work.
>>
Learn Krav Maga for street fighting
>>
>>1372700
you'd think so, but look around for a bit you'll notice there isn't a single person here performig martial arts
>>
But security guards don't do shit just walking or sitting on their ass all day
>>
>>1372698
>>>1372696
>I see reading comp isn't your forte'...
>But Its probably my fault since I should have clarified I want to learn a martial art for dealing with people on the job since im an unarmed security guard. We aren't allowed to carry any guns, but we can restrain and detain visitors on property that are combative. Ive seen one of my coworkers punch some guy trying to choke a nurse and I just stood there unable to do anything because I don't know how to fight.
If you have narrowed it down to boxing and judo, and you are allowed to restrain people, I guess you answered your own question. Judo teaches submissions and boxing doesn't.
>>
>>1372687

Judo is going to be your best bet since you have to restrain patients and if you ever get sued you can point out that Judo translates as "the gentle way."

However, and this is speaking as a knockdown karate player, if you're looking to minimize damage to your body I have never seen anybody get fucked up as hard as in judo competitions. The force involved in being picked up and thrown down is so much greater than for punches that shit can go wrong catastrophically. You're also pretty much guaranteed knee injuries in the long run from squatting, picking up twice your body weight asymmetrically, and twisting.

Anybody who points out that in theory you can throw with perfect form and avoid this needs to practice more and stop lying because when you and your opponent are both tired and trying to win, shit happens. Imagine doing squats but instead of having 45s on each end of the bar you have a toddler hanging from each end of the bar and if you fail to complete a rep they get ice cream. Yeah, you're going to eventually get hurt.
>>
>>1372687
>I want to learn because I'm an unarmed security guard
Krav Maga.
The average joe sucks at fighting, anything other than Krav Maga is over kill.
>I want to minimize the damage to my body while I train so I've narrowed it down to Judo and Boxing.
That's honestly some pretty stupid shit. Judo will wreck your body because you're hitting people with fucking planets.
When you're not exercising in Boxing, you're getting punched in the head, a lot. Have fun with your brain damage. Seriously, You get hit in the head a lot more in Boxing than anything else.

>not Kickboxing because of injuries
You are guaranteed not to get hit in the head as much as Boxing.
Honestly, how many times you get hit depends on the gym, both Boxing and Kickboxing.
But brises heal, while brain damage is forever.
The brain also controls the body, so if you lose your brain, you lose your body.

>it's not necessary when defending against the average joe
Boxing is not necessary, either.
The very best thing to do against the average joe is to stay on the outside and land leg kicks until he can't walk, he can't punch you, and he doesn't know how to kick.
When you can stay on the outside and land leg kicks, you'd have to be a humongous fucking mentally retarded piece of shit idiot to get into the guy's punching range at all, and it's also stupid when you make punching your only weapon. Boxing is like using a picket knife when you could use a machete.

But in reality, you're one security guard, and any number of average kinds of people could attack you.
One guy could be a guy who has never fought, but remembers what a Boxing guard looks like and someone telling him to rotate his hips when punching.
Some other guy could've wrestled in middle school.
Some other guy could be a street fighter who likes to grab onto people's clothes and then punch them.

In reality, you don't know what you're going to face.
MMA is the only real option.
>>
>>1372687
>>1376200

Trusting Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing, any individual art, is just fucking stupid.

It's you're well being, don't settle for something that might work some of the time (Boxing, Judo, Kickboxing, BJJ), do MMA. No matter what you face, you'll be prepared for it, be it punches, kicks, knees, elbows, throws, takedowns, submissions.

You should also supplement with Krav Maga anyway. You have to be unarmed, other people don't. Where else are you going to lean how to deal with weapons while unarmed outside of Krav Maga? Aikido?
>>
>>1373988
>If you have narrowed it down to boxing and judo, and you are allowed to restrain people, I guess you answered your own question. Judo teaches submissions and boxing doesn't.
He's still a civilian. He can punch someone in the face and then break his own hand doing that and get away with it in the name of self defense or defending others.
>>
>>1372687

>>1376216
>Where else are you going to lean how to deal with weapons while unarmed outside of Krav Maga? Aikido?
YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCAcFAVzF-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Rf7Lx-33I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvmczzIN7RY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVGj96ARiYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXfpyd7nn1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTk2C0vVMLs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDaq6Fu1vGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StxEQfp3gYk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au_0oNbTYSU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjJoeSZx3aY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv6eLRle-ug
>>
>>1372687
>security guard
Judo and boxing are good choices. And since you mentioned price, you can usually find decently cheap ones. Particularly judo since punching someone can get you in more shit, but you still need to defend against other people's punches. Since what's available to you will affect what you do, something like judo and a kickboxing style could be good too. I say judo because muh takedowns, bjj is expensive, you probably won't find catch wrestling, and outside of going to school, you probably won't find some good old amateur wrasstlin. As far as brain damage, you probably won't get any from boxing unless you're unlucky, have abusive sparring partners, try to go pro, or fight like a retard. Judo could fuck you up, but as long as you don't fuck up falling and don't go into a serious high level competition, you'll probably be fine. Straight up MMA is an option too, but the prices can vary a lot. Since you'd probably just be dealing with drunkards, even just Krav might suffice, but it'll depend on if there's a decent Krav place near you. Also depends on if this'll just be for your job, or you'd also like to make it a hobby you like and compete in.
>>
>>1372687

I'd guess judo, I think most of the situations you'd end up in as a security guard would be grappling-appropriate situations rather than striking-appropriate.
>>
>>1376613
>As far as brain damage, you probably won't get any from boxing unless you're unlucky, have abusive sparring partners, try to go pro, or fight like a retard.
You don't just Box for 10 years and then get brain damage, it's an accumulation of brain damage. If you get punched in the face, get end up with a bruise. You get a bruise because your face was damaged, stuff got torn inside of there. It's easy to see. But when you get punched in the head, it's not just the surface that gets damaged, it's also the inside that gets damaged. This should be obvious, it's not good for your brain to rapidly crash around and hit the walls of the inside of your skull, your brain is already damaged. Getting knocked out actually damages our brain.
We're pretty advanced bipedal mammalian creatures, our body heals itself pretty well, but it's never quite the same.
Each time you get punched in the head is a small percentage of brain damaged added to you.
It's just easier to notice brain damage when there's a lot of it.
>>
>>1376918
Eh, a bit of brain damage here and there, a few cases of joint damage there and here, just don't let it pile up too much before you hit your natural lifespan.
>>
>>1376956
pretty much this
>>
Are you fit enough to train in a discipline? Why are you primarily concerned about injury in training? Even very basic defensive tactic training and subject detention training can get you hurt. To be proficient, you need to practice repetition which may lead to injury.

Look into pressure point control techniques if you want an easy way to shut someone down, but if you are in a medical setting (nurses being attacked?) And you're dealing with abnormal subjects shit might not work anyway.
>>
go boxing, get jaw protection, after 5 months of training (2x a week) you should be able to beat up 90% of average joes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_OiVqJ3kmM
this is an example of a street fighter vs a guy who goes to boxing classes
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.