[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning to Fight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Obviously, You can't effectively learn to fight without partners to spar, or without a teacher to show you the techniques and correct questionable form, but is it possible for someone to teach themselves, even just the rudiments, alone? Pretty soon, I'll be leaving for a year to a pretty isolated place, and all I'll have is a gym with free weights, and a fuck huge forest to run in.
>>
Let nature be your master and it will reveal its secrets to you. Learn flexibility from the grass. Learn strength from the stones. Learn patience from the trees. Learn agility from the animals. Learn to adapt like the river.

Most importantly, learn that if you think any of the above is serious, you are an idiot.
>>
>>1370779
>Obviously, You can't effectively learn to fight without partners to spar
You can learn to fight effectively without sparring.
You just can't apply what you learn effectively without a partner.

>or without a teacher to show you techniques
It's the fucking 21st century, you fucking pleb. We have written language, we have pictures, we have auditory language, we have fucking videos. Exactly what happens in class can be put in videos.
But it's more efficient with a teacher present with individual private tutoring.
>>
>>1370898
Not only do we have videos, we fucking have people building up on knowledge.

We have people learning about what people did, figuring out why it's stupid, and then trying to make something that isn't stupid.

We don't only have video, we have mother fucking HD video.
>>
>>1370901
Except there's so much information to be had and people are just so stupid, they end up not learning, and coming up with the same stupid shit they could've learned from if they just studied.
>>
>you can't learn without a teacher

Humanity had found out why that's stupid, ignorant, and delusional bullshit a long time ago.

People just don't bother learning why, people don't even know the knowledge exists.
>>
Alright, OP here. Where do you all recommend I begin. I'm interested striking arts, really interested in something like wing chun, or a martial art based on striking and being offensive.
What could I use to practice striking?
>>
>>1371036
Learning from the internet is a huge part of Parkour culture. Since Parkour gyms are still young and the art itself is under developed and non-regulated, if you look hard enough on the internet, you can find YouTube tutorials a lot better than instruction you can find at gyms.
Since you're going to have a forest, you should learn climbing and Parkour on the internet.

Martial arts is no different but /asp/ is just a combination of stupid, ignorant, misinformed, and autistic.

There's a lot of low quality martial arts gym, there's a lot of average quality martial arts gyms, there's a lot of good quality martial arts gyms.

/asp/ makes it seem like a lot of gyms are high quality where instructors know perfect form, where their training methods are top notch with current science, but they really aren't.

For most places, the tiny details in technique are for Karte Kata.
In a Kickboxing gym, they just tell you to use your legs, use your hips, use your shoulders, turn your wrist, and then the 20+ people in the class do it.
YouTube videos can give you that, plus slow motion, add notes to images, create diagrams, explain kinetic linking to you, and give you some math to work with.

Learning theory, doing bag work, doing drills, sparring, these all contribute to your skill with applying martial arts.
But since humans are just so stupid, sparring really is a key part in being able to apply martial arts.

There's some /asp/ delusion that tells people that sparring is the only way to develop skill, but it's just that, a delusion.

There are literally MMA gyms that don't spar. There are MMA gyms that will have you exercising a whole lot, exercising more, having you learn combinations in the air or hitting a bag a lot, doing more exercise, doing a few drills, doing some pad work, and then have you spar sometimes a little bit if you decide you want to compete and you have a fight coming up.
Those people end up competing, and some of them end up winning.
>>
File: 1420756844457.jpg (582 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
1420756844457.jpg
582 KB, 1600x1131
>>1371036
>>1371104
It doesn't mean they would've have done better if they sparred more.
Some of their opponents trained just like them. Some of their opponents sparred less than them. Some of their opponents sparred more but didn't train as much as them. Some of their opponents sparred more but didn't have good temperament. Some of their opponents only trained for a few months and spared and did drills moderately but learned so fast that they beat everybody else.
A lot of things contribute to the outcome of fights.

Just because learning in a good gym (not that many gyms are actually good gyms) is better than learning by yourself with bad self learning methodology with bad martial arts knowledge and bad martial arts instruction, doesn't mean you don't get anything out of it, and it doesn't mean it would be better to just do nothing at all.

If you use good self learning methods, it's not actually self teaching because the knowledge is out there, if you apply the good self learning methods well, you can learn theory and technique better than if you were to learn at a average gym.

You can even drill applying the technique by yourself by doing shadowboxing that's a lot like drills but alone, and get something out of it, but it really doesn't come close to the skill of applying theory and technique if you were to do drills with partners and spar.

If anyone tells you otherwise, and you believe them, that's honestly stupid.

If it wasn't a misinterpretation of data, it's a failure to comprehend data.
If it's not that, it's a fault in logic.

If you dedicate yourself, you can spend your time studying logical reasoning, applied mathematics, applied logical reasoning, science, but in the end, you'll just find out I was right.

If you're smart enough, won't need all that study in the first place.

If you're not smart enough, but smart enough to realize truth with just a little knowledge, good for you.

Maybe this logical fallacy chart is enough for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 634x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 634x480
What fighting style would you recommend that's excellent for self defense, I don't care about competition, and has no bullshit about history, or flows fancy show kata. Something that will give me the tools to fight as effectively as possible, in most or any situations?
Pic possibly related.
>>
>>1371416
Kickboxing
>>
>>1371036
Well, you could go full on crazy and punch trees and do other crazy shit like that to train your body, but other than that, reliable striking training will be a little difficult. Dummies will only get you so far.

Someone set up a shooting target with pads on it once so that the target spun to the other side, which was also padded whenever it was struck.

It was a cool concept, but of dubious use, as it only trained you to hit two different places.
>>
>>1370901
A person without an appreciable level of understanding won't be able to tell the difference between Jake Mace, Master Wong, and a truly informative video. They might even think Ameridote is real.
>>
>>1371104
>>1371119
Quit trying to convince anyone that you learning on your own is working. It's fucking delusion m8. The great thing about the martial arts is that it's easy to sniff out a bullshitter. Just post a video of you fighting/drilling and we can figure it out for ourselves if you're good or just another fake.
>>
Ameridote is real. All other martial arts are bullshit!
>>
>>1371416
Muay Thai and a grappling art that isn't aikido
>>
>>1370779
Fight the animals.
>>
>>1371677
>tell the difference between Jake Mace, Master Wong, and a truly informative video
>a truly informative video
care to provide an example for comparison comprade?
>>
>>1371416
Krav Maga.
>>
>>1375869
Do I need to? In fact, if I cannot it only reinforces my point that it's dumb to try to learn without a teacher.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.