[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody Chinese martial arts in here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (37 KB, 341x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37 KB, 341x400
Anybody Chinese martial arts in here?
>>
Let's be honest, isn't Karate just Kung Fu for Japanese people?
>>
I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator Trent...to the blood bank.
>>
>>1357828
Karate is pretty different from traditional Kung fu, but there are some similarities.
>>
>>1357828
karate isn't even japanese, its okinawan. They were their own country with their own culture until they got assimilated
>>
>>1357905

Jesus fuck, get over it. It was 400 years ago.

I have a friend from Shuri who no shit still complains about the filthy Natcha or however you spell it as if she even knows how many greats she'd have to put in front of the grandfather who was there when it happened.
>>
So I've been working on xingyiquan for a little while. I hear Wang shujin used his belly as a substitute for one of his fists and koed people. Anyone else practice internal stuff?
>>
>>1357821
I study Chuan Fa and Taiji Chuan Jian. My school uses components from different styles to assist in training different concepts (chisao, push hands, six harmonies) but we are primarily a Five Animal style with a little Hung Gar.

>>1358091
Internal practice is a useful tool for any martial artists. The main benefit being the ability to stay calm during confrontation, and to be reactionary in your actions.
>>
>>1357821
TMA? It's 2016!
>>
>>1357821
No because I don't like dancing.
>>
>>1358161
>what is Sanda/Sanshou

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvTQIMLPfEg
>>
>>1358079

>>1357905 was stating facts and wasn't even butthurt. Telling him to get over it's not even necessary. At worst it might have been a little autistic, but at least he knows what he's talking about.
>>1357835
Karate and Kung fu have similarities because Kung fu influenced the style, with Fujian white crane and Northern Shaolin being two of the biggest.
>>
>>1358464
Ah that's cool didn't know that. Are we actually having a decent cma thread?

>>1358128
I love internals, especially baguazhang. So stylish and fluid. Learning swimming body palm now.
>>
why the fuck is this board 90% wresting threads everyday?
>>
>>1358128
The main benefit of internal practice is dynamic stability and power generation, which is achieved through controlled relaxation, special strengthening, and full body integration.
>>
File: 33Zy8na.gif (1 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
33Zy8na.gif
1 MB, 260x260
>>1358559
Chink Moot just fucked things up, nigga.
>>
>>1358559
This board is a fucking cesspit that the fucking retarded ass chink who took this place over ruined. He's got to be legitimately retarded or something to have let it sink to this level. Fuck this dumb board and all of its autistic posters. FUCK ALL OF THEM AND FUCK YOU CHINK MOOT YOU FUCKING DIPSHIT. FIX THIS FUCKING BOARD. NOT EVEN WRESTLING FANS LIKE IT YOU FUCKING MONGOLOID.
>>
File: you seem upset.jpg (141 KB, 586x614) Image search: [Google]
you seem upset.jpg
141 KB, 586x614
>>1358683
>>1358559
>>
>>1358684
>tripcuck posts a smug dog as if that's a response
THANKS CHINK MOOT FOR DROPPING THE FAT MAN ON US YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKER
>>
File: 1463391945337.gif (97 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1463391945337.gif
97 KB, 500x400
>>1358683
>>
>>1358559
We really need our own board. There is clearly enough for both.
>>
>>1358704
Pretty much but we don't have mods so that's never happening. They even post CP on here and it's up for days without any interference.
>>
>>1358079
It was less than 150 years ago.
>>
Wing Chun practitioner here
>>
>>1358877
What's it like not being able to fight?
>>
>>1358869

Karate is Satsuma-era stuff for the most part though. The whole story is that karate was invented to fight off Japanese invaders who oppressed the local population.

If karate wants to change its origin myth to claim it was invented to fight off post-Meiji Japanese invaders with firearms, that's cool and all, but it's going to be even less believable than the story of impoverished farmers with sticks beating down samurai.
>>
>>1359371
karate is a modernized adaption of older systems of te, and in many cases is quite different from them.

Even then I believe most of the marital arts were brought over from china much later than 400 years ago
>>
>>1359138
It's funny. Every other week we have some jackass come to our school to challenge us and we always hold our own.

We're in Houston if you're interested.
>>
>>1359955
Not that Anon, but I'm interested in how you guys train, and if you mix in stuff from other arts.

Some stories about you fighting would also be nice.

You get all my internets if you have videos of yourself or someone from your school sparring.
>>
>>1360298
Wing Chun is very very hard to explain with words. Even my instructors are pretty good at explaining, but one does not get it until someone does the technique on you.

Wing Chun is based on structure. We train by practicing the first set "Little Ideas" or Siu Lim Tao. I don't know how to put it other than "It's really weird" it's like you only fight with your bones. The closest example I can give is rockclimbing. The first sessions, I climbed using muscles and didn't get too far, then you learn how to do the moves hang and climb using your bones and hang on your tendons and ligaments. Even though I have a really strong back, I would see these woman climb these boulders effortlessly.

I see a lot of Wing Chun out there that uses power and muscles which doesn't make sense to me. "Power" Wing Chun is inherently inferior to other true power based martial arts like Karate and Muay Thai.

The real Wing Chun to me has been passed down through Ip Man's closed door students. Ip Man's name is thrown around a lot, but the legit people are Chu Shong Tin's people, and Leung Seung's people, in particular Kenneth Chung and Sifu Ben Der
>>
Use to do some Wushu (Southern style to be more specific.)
>>
>>1360298
I'll try to record a video if possible next time. I don't train other stuff. I came from a primarily boxing background with some muay thai thrown in the mix but minimal. I'm not cross-training yet because I believe one should focus on one thing and become a master at that one thing and then branch out and become a generalist. With boxing it took me 10 years to become really good, but I'm doing Wing Chun because with age, it's becoming exponentially difficult.

imo, it takes 10 years to become good or reach a high level at any art. Someone tells me they achieved black belt in 6 years, I don't buy it.

Hope that helps.
>>
>>1358559
/aco/ but not a wrestling board, this place was good before the wrestling.
>>
>>1360499
>imo, it takes 10 years to become good or reach a high level at any art. Someone tells me they achieved black belt in 6 years, I don't buy it.
It just depends on the person.

Some people are less intelligent than most people, most people are average, some people are more intelligent than most people.

Here's an example.

It takes average people 30min to learn a technique.
It takes below average people 50min to learn a technique.
It takes above average people 10min to learn a technique.

Some highly below average people take 70min to learn a technique.
Some highly above average people take 5min to learn a technique.

It's a fact, there is no doubt, some people learn and develop skill faster than other people.
>>
>>1360499
People just learn and develop skill more efficiently than other people.
This is a generally speaking, and it applies to any knowledge and skill.

The most common examples are in academia because of the importance societies place on education.
It's also easy to find information because of how common it is.

The statistics and information is just there. There is no debate to be had.
The scientific research is there.
It is just a fact that some people obtain knowledge and develop skill more quickly than other people.

some people are highly below average, some people are below average, some people are average, some people are above average, some people are highly above average.

Some people graduate high school in 4 years. Some people graduate high school in 2 years.

Some people graduate high school in more than 4 years or don't graduate at all.

Some people get done with collage by the age of 15.

Some people get done with collage by the age of 25.

Some people learn and develop skill more than twice as efficiently as average people.
Some people learn and develop skill with twice the difficulty as average people.
>>
>>1360499
Something tells me this could be bait.
>>
>>1360544
No shit. The fucking liars who pollute this place don't train. The rare few that did don't post anymore.
>>
>>1360524
Some people can be less intelligent overall than other people, but still learn and develop skills more quickly than those intelligent people.

Memory is just a small part of intelligence, even though it's very useful.

Memory is very useful because where intelligence is lacking, knowledge can compensate.
The more knowledge you can get, the better.
>>
>>1360560
>muh everybody doesn't train meme

Yeah, WWE changed the board but I think martial arts still has a chance here.
>>
>>1359955
lol, ok buddy. Post a video of you fighting
>>
>>1360574
Nobody who trained posted here beg I re either. Remember all those fights that were planned but never happened?
>>
>>1360524
No doubt some people can pick up skills faster than others, but to hone those techniques razor sharp takes yeaaars of just sitting there and just drilling. The guys who would double leg takedown me for free, I asked them how they did it. They sat there and did 100-200 takedowns every single fucking day. Nothing to do with intelligence. I've defended plenty of motherfuckers' takedown but the ones that get me are the ones who just sit there and hone their techniques for years.
>>1360615
Bitch I ain't doing shit for you son.
>>
File: 1465074372002.jpg (230 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1465074372002.jpg
230 KB, 640x960
>>1360626
>bitch I ain't doing shit

Thats ok man. We already know wing chun has such a great track record of effectiveness.

https://youtu.be/qAN-ZKQlucg
>>
>>1360634
Don't ask then little shit
>>
>>1360626
>but to hone those techniques razor sharp takes yeaaars of just sitting there and just drilling.

Some people get more out of drills than other people, some people get less out of drills than other people.

It can take some people 2 years to get a certain razor edge on technique while it takes some people 5 years to get that same edge.

It has everything to do with intelligence.

If the ratio of intelligence is the same throughout these people, this is how it is.

The dumbass gets less out of sitting there doing 500 take downs than the average guy.

The average guy gets less out of sitting there doing 500 takedowns than the smart guy.

The smart guy gets more out of sitting there doing 500 takedowns than the dumbass and the average guy.

The dumbass would need to practice the takedown hundreds of more times to get as good as the average guy.
The average guy would need to practice the takedown hundreds of more times to get as good as the smart guy.

I'm not saying it doesn't take dedication to get good, I'm not saying it doesn't take training to get good.

The higher ends of intelligence aside, like the kids can gain the knowledge and the skill to graduate collage before they're 15, so like I said, these people aside, it does take years to get good, how many years depends on the person.
>>
>>1360646
Careful. Your sifu will be very disapointed in your lack of self restraint and crass language.
>>
>>1360659
I get what you mean. Personally, I've seen guys that pick up quickly
then there are the guys that pick it up and drill it.
Then there are the guys that pick it up and train intelligently for years.

But yeah, everyone has a different journey so that's why it's not good to compare yourself to other people. It's best to drop the ego and focus on getting better. Fuck all that other noise.
>>
>>1360682
I'm very new to Chinese martial arts and you're actually very correct. It's something I've got to pick up on.
>>
>>1360683

>everyone has a different journey so that's why it's not good to compare yourself to other people
>Fuck all that other noise
Yeah, I never really cared too much about being better than other people or beating other people in sparring.
How fast people can learn aside, we all don't train for the same amount of time, so it doesn't really mean anything when someone beats another person.
Some guy could beat another guy in training, but if that guy that got beat trained as much as the guy that beat him, he could've beat that guy.
Unless you know every detail about a person's brain, life, and training habits, there's not much worth thinking about who's better.
People train for different reasons but I do it to better myself and because it's rewarding.
>>
Anyone train weapons in here? Bagua sword is so sick and effective.
>>
>>1361889
Chen style taiji jian, as well as kempo staff, a very little Wudang jian and free form with anything else. What kind of sword do you use?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 736x501) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 736x501
>>1362206
>>1362206
Something like these twin dao swords. I never knew how heavy swords can be when you're practicing with them. In Chen style you're using a lot of rollback and push? How does that translate in the sword? How goes free sparring with weapons?
>>
>>1360659
Learning new moves aside, getting better at doing the same thing has everything to do with developing the right parts of the body/muscle memory and nothing to do with intelligence
Sure a smart guy could understand better what works best, but when talking about doing the exact same thing, the one with more practice/better physique will always do better
>>
>>1363018
>getting better at doing the same thing has everything to do with developing the right parts of the body/muscle memory
The ability to develop muscle memory is a part of intelligence.
More intelligent people develop muscle memory more easily and quickly than less intelligent people.
People who are more intelligent than other people may develop muscle memory more slowly than less intelligent people even if they train the same amount of time, but that's relating to a less general term of intelligence.

Certain parts of the brain are responsible for certain things.

Someone could have better logical reasoning ability while some other person may have better memory.

>the one with more practice/better physique will always do better
No.
See the previous, people develop muscle memory more quickly and efficiently than others.

A stupid person who practiced a double leg takedown 500 will be worse at doing double leg takedowns than a highly intelligent person who practiced a double leg takedown 300 times.

Most people are slightly-below average, average, or slightly above-average, so most of the time, for most people, the person who trains the most will do better, since their growth rates are so similar.
>>
>>1363195
Are you defining intelligent someone with a high IQ or even someone like muhammad Ali?
>>
>>1363214

IQ, generally speaking, is not a good indicator of intelligence.
There are a lot of things wrong with IQ, too much for one post, and you can easily look that stuff up on the internet.
Someone with an IQ of 110 could be more intelligent that someone with an IQ of 115.

However, generally speaking, in developed areas like America and the UK, IQ allows us to determine relative intelligence of masses of people.

Most people with an IQ between 70 (I don't remember, does it even go that low?) and 80 are less intelligent than people with an IQ between 90 and 110. Most people with an IQ between 90 and 110 are less intelligent than people with an IQ between 120 and 150.
People with an IQ of 190+ are probably more intelligent than everybody else.

I don't know too much about Muhammad Ali.

To my knowledge, intelligence is too complex for humans to currently measure with accuracy.
However, our understanding of intelligence is enough to differentiate between extremely stupid people, average people, and extremely intelligent people, most of the time.
>>
Any Ba Ji practioners here?
>>
>>1362811
I don't practice Chen taiji, just the jian. I've been to one, two day seminar under Scott Rodell and was taught as a competent beginner. Scott likes to call his sword style "skipping stone" because the sword should always rebound into a direct attack. Free sparring was great at the seminar, and it's how I want to lead sparring once I get a jianfa group together at my kwoon. The training jian are about 1.7lb, and free sparring requires eye protection and hand/forearm protection.

A picture of the handle doesn't really help, but I'm assuming oxtail?
>>
>>1359371
How about rather then myths you try and learn actual history. This is a double level of stupid because:

1) The Satsuma never occupied Okinawa, they just coerced it into Vassalage.

2) They did so using firearms.
>>
>>1363377
Karate came from White Crane Kung Fu (Hok Quan). Original Karate has the except same moveset from White Crane. Karate lost a lot of the original techniques though.
>>
I don't do /cma/ but do you anons know where you can buy authentic Dit Da Jow? I need it to help with my hand and shin conditioning.
>>
>>1364491
Only Naha's Te, which is goju-ryu / kyokushin, and even today the forms are rather similar.
All their main teachers actually went to fujian to train

Shuri's and Tomari's Te are unknown, and probably combined okinawa's own fighting (which I read someone speculate was influenced around the 1000s by old muay-thai)/wrestling, with ch'uan fa, white crane and I can't remember who, but there was a wushu practitioner who taught in the island
>>
>>1364491
>>1365008
So if I practiced Goju-Ryu or Kyokushin, would I be a White Crane practitioner?
>>
>>1365019
No, there's a reason they have different names
>>
What's the opinion on Jeet Kune Do here?

The place I train at is opening up a program and I was curious about how they train and how it compares to other martial arts
>>
>>1365700
It's basically wing chun with tkd kicks and some bad grappling. You'd be better off finding a legit wing chun lineage, create a strong base, then do some kanda.
>>
>>1365019
I would say no from a cultural perspective. From a fighting perspective, the world is round and we all have two hands and two feet so does it matter what it's called? The cultural aspect of it to me is important, but if we're talking about a real fight, fuck it, go beat the other dude's face in.

I do Wing Chun because I'm getting older and thus slower, weaker, and etc...

If you can find a good Hok Quan (White Crane) teacher then learn from him. If you can find a good Kyokushin teacher, go learn from him.

The most important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing and give yourself to your art.

That being said, it's really hard to find a teacher who is legit and will teach you the real art. Someone told me 90% of Chinese kung-fu schools out there only teach you "martial arts" that, at the end of the day, are only pretty acrobatics.

I was really lucky to have found my Wing Chun instructors.
>>
>>1365008

Do you know a lot about Naha Te and Okinawa martial arts? Can you tell me more?
>>
>>1360634
Kek nice one anon
>>
>>1357828
The biggest differences in martial arts are rule sets and training methods. Mostly rule sets. There are only so many ways to use and train a human body, unless we get some wuxia novel or even some crazy Lovecraft shit going on.
>not learning Azathoth brand martial arts and dreaming your enemies away
Even in karate, differences from just from styles who focus on either point sparring, full contact, or more kickboxing-esque competition.
>>1365700
Two main camps, straight up mma with a bit of asian flavor, be it wing chun or escrima or some such, or the guys that literally just teach what Bruce's fighting style was like before he died, despite the fact that he probably would have changed some shit. The quality is gonna depend on the instructor/place, so basically this is a cop out answer and you have to figure it on your own.
>>1368621
Seconding this. Information on Okinawan arts would be cool.
>>
>>1368621
I just looked around on the internet, I'm not really an expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUQsCwMY1lc might interest you
>>
File: 1441638168271.png (85 KB, 995x873) Image search: [Google]
1441638168271.png
85 KB, 995x873
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.