[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /asp/ What striking/grappling martial arts are the most practical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: 1375656825218.gif (2 MB, 374x276) Image search: [Google]
1375656825218.gif
2 MB, 374x276
Hi /asp/
What striking/grappling martial arts are the most practical in terms of helping me not get beat up by larger, stronger minorities?
>>
>>1294279
A firearm.
>>
>>1294279

A pipebomb
>>
>>1294279
>What striking/grappling martial arts are the most practical in terms of helping me not get beat up by larger, stronger minorities?
Striking with swords, and striking with projectiles from projectile weapons using the projectile weapons (like bows-&arrows, high-powered BB guns, pepper spray, electrical shock guns, and firearms) are often very practical ways to deal with aggression from your opponents. Also, pipebombs and grenades aren't so bad once you're experienced with them, they're great for dealing with multiple opponents, including non-lethals and tacticals, like flash-bangs.
>>
>>1294279
Parkour
>>
>>1294279
MMA is the best hand to hand combat training for MMA sport fighting, and hand-to-hand - one-vs-one self defense fighting.

Training a grappling art and striking art separately doesn't give you training with combining both striking and grappling.

Supplement a decent MMA gym with some time training at a decent Krav Maga gym, and you'll be far more prepared for self-defense in general than a majority of people who train one sport grappling art and one sport striking art.
>>
>>1294279
Brass knuckles.
>>
File: 722779106_49f3df7248.jpg (118 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
722779106_49f3df7248.jpg
118 KB, 500x375
Smoke Bomb + Parkour
>>
>>1294279
MMA + a good pair of running shoes.
>>
>>1294290
>>1294862
>wants to learn how to fight someone bigger and stronger
>suggests a non-martial art with strictly regulated weight classes
>>
>>1295090
>strictly regulated weight classes
What are loose unregulated weight classes?
>>
>>1295118
one example being karate which generally only has an 80kg+ and 80kg- class so people can easily have 70 pound differences, as well as an open weight class which is usually present
In mma you are basically talking about never fighting anyone more than 10 pounds bigger than you unless you are a supreme gigga nigga in heavyweight
>>
>>1295090
>>1295143
>every single one of your training partners are going to be in your weight class in every single MMA gym
>>
>>1295278
if your training partners are bigger than you they are holding back significantly on you to give you a chance

also stop calling MMA a martial art to begin with. MMA is a sport
>>
Any martial arts that teaches in a full contact setting.
>>
>>1295371

basically Boxing,Kickboxing/Muay Thai,Kyokushin Karate,Wrestling,Sambo,Judo,BJJ and Taekwondo.Or just do MMA if you dont want to specialize.
>>
>>1295371
>>1295397
Don't forget about Sanda/Sanshou
>>
>>1295143
>retard who doesn't train in any martial art gives his opinion on training in martial arts
>>
>>1299144
if you are going to an MMA class you are never preparing to fight someone who is larger or smaller than you by any significant measure. Training along side these people is different than training to fight them
ya bitch
>>
>>1299635
Are you done shitposting about things you know nothing about already?
>>
>>1299994
nigga u dumb, or are a liar if you say you are taking an MMA class and prepping to fight people much larger than you
MMA is a sport, you aren't going to spend time learning skills that don't apply to your sport. It would be like a football player working on a golf stroke at practice
>>
>>1300056
I wrestling with Guys 20 kg +
Because there is no weight classes in training.
>>
>>1300056
How does one train to fight people bigger than them then, loudmouth?

>inb4 krab magoo/hurr durr lick their nuts
>>
>>1300273
The art of fellatio can be quite persuasive.

>that one female BJJ image
>>
Boxing/Dutch kickboxing/Muay thai and Judo
>>
MMA is a martial art. If you can practice something, if you can express yourself with it, if you can cause even small, but tangible changes in yourself and that thing by extension while practicing it, then theres art involved.
For self defense ASAP, i'd say begin a exercise regiment that is half cardio and half strength building. Pick up Bruce's the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. It has aged well, is a good starting point if even just for the footwork, boxing, and conditioning exercises. Pick up two or three solid boxing combo's and interject 1 type of low kick at different parts in the combo (the Tao makes use of low sidekick. Youtubing Ramon Dekkers and low kicks from dutch/ thai boxing and kyokushin is more complicated but 100000% worth the investment).Youtube rear naked choke, guillotine choke, headlock escapes, triangle choke, Be prepared to take damage if/when you have to fight, but be resolute that the better prepared fighter wins 98% of the time. Stay calm, save your fear and hate for the last 1/4 inch of strikes. When your opponent is hurt, stay on them until you know they are in a condition where they won't be fighting you again that day.
>>
>>1300056
And here you go again, you dumb cripple. You've never trained in martial arts yet you're still shitposting. I box and spar with people bigger than me on a regular basis, as weight classes don't fucking exist in training you dumb bitch. Most people train like that and you would know it if only you could overcome your fear to go to the gym due to your obesity.
>>
File: 2016-05-18 13.12.44.jpg (1 MB, 1885x1060) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-18 13.12.44.jpg
1 MB, 1885x1060
>>1301699
>You've never trained in martial arts
Okay.jpg
>>
File: cm punk really.gif (1 MB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
cm punk really.gif
1 MB, 191x200
>>1294282
>>
>>1301594
>the Tao makes use of low sidekick. Youtubing Ramon Dekkers and low kicks from dutch/ thai boxing and kyokushin is more complicated but 100000% worth the investment
There's nothing like a good knee.
>>
>>1302036
kek
>>
>>1294279
boxing and/or muay thai is all you need to know
>>
>>1295284

>if your training partners are bigger than you they are holding back significantly on you to give you a chance

That's true for any martial art. Except faggy shit that don't have full contact training, but I don't even consider those martial art.
>>
File: ayylmao.jpg (24 KB, 492x195) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.jpg
24 KB, 492x195
>>1303302
no. You are either only learning how to fight people your size, or you aren't. If you are in competitive MMA you aren't ever going to learn how to tech on someone much bigger or smaller than you because you will never encounter that situation in a match.
>>
>>1303302
>>1303953
You guys are forgetting the part where saying "all big people are holding back against all of their smaller training partners" is completely stupid.
>>
>>1304026
it doesn't matter how much skill you have, if someone has 70 pounds on you, you are getting smashed on the mat.
I train with this one guy who is 6'4" 280, it doesn't fucking matter what moves you know, first of all he's too massive to close a guard around, his neck is too thick to lock any chokes in, his shoulder are too broad to get any kind of meaningful over under on, and when he decides to bulldoze you over and get on top of you, you aren't creating space to move him. If he doesn't give up position, you aren't changing position, end of fucking story.
I have personally watched a similarly sized guy hold royce gracie in a kesa gatame completely dead to rights during a seminar, when the fucking move he was demonstrating was a kesa escape, and he couldn't do it because the other guy had him smashed.
>>
>>1304079
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywXWaZv5I0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VcEf-gugpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUmIrToZvW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuzImQo7cdg
>Kyokushin
>>
>>1304103
fat guy =/= big guy
no kidding you could out strike a lethargic obese man
>>
>>1304107
I like how you completely ignored the very first video. It's not like he was The Giant Killer or anything.
>>
>>1304154
I saw it was 2005 AMV tier so I decided to skip it
>>
>>1294279
Boxing plus BJJ

Or do the smart move and have a weapon on you. There is no martial art that can match even a knife, statistically. You are not likely to be fighting minorities hand-to-hand, they will have a weapon.
>>
>>1305170
>There is no martial art that can match even a knife, statistically.
You mean there is no hand to hand combat martial art that can match even a knife, statistically.
>>
>>1294279
Aikido or any of the sort such as Shorinji Kempo are imo by far the best choices. You avoid your own harm, hurting others, and they're feelgood technical martial arts. Imo Kempo is better than Aikido as it compements techs with small explosive strikes known as atemi before executing the tech to stun the opponent and make the execution easier. Furthermore, they don't teach you attack techniques (at most, you learn preemptive moves) so you don't start shit yourself.
>>
>>1305802
>Kempo
Isn't that just an umbrella term for a bunch of different Japanese martial arts?
>>
>>1308426

No, Shorinji Kempo is a specific martial art with a founder, headquarters, and everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorinji_Kempo
>>
>>1294279
do boxing or kickboxing for striking
BJJ for grappling
and Krav Maga i guess just as a supplementary thing, but take that shit with a pinch of salt
>>
>>1305802
Aikido is fucking trashcan weeabo shit that doesnt work against anyone with the slightest knowledge of how to fight, OP dont even pay attention to these autists
>>
>>1308949
>and Krav Maga i guess just as a supplementary thing, but take that shit with a pinch of salt
The dirty techniques training helps remind people that you can use dirty techniques.

Being a sport fighter, I decided to take a free trial of Krav Maga.
We were doing drills and then we were adding onto the drills with our own movements. I added a knee to the gut, and one of the instructors was watching. The instructor came up and told me I could've kicked my partner in the nuts.

And where else are you going to learn knife disarms?
>>
>>1294279
Western boxing will teach you how to punch properly, and that's half the battle.
>>
>>1304079
>it doesn't matter how much skill you have, if someone has 70 pounds on you

Height and weight contribute to an advantage, but they don't guarantee it, anon.

In my experience, skill, then cardio, are more important than any height and weight advantage.
>>
>>1309217
>In my experience, skill, then cardio, are more important than any height and weight advantage.
>cardio
This.
>>
>>1294279
Fried chicken fu
>>
File: 33Zy8na.gif (1 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
33Zy8na.gif
1 MB, 260x260
>>1309258
>Fried chicken fu
That only works with black people.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.