[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
opinions on what I'm going to do here there is a UFC gym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: ufc-gym.jpg (119 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
ufc-gym.jpg
119 KB, 1024x682
opinions on what I'm going to do here

there is a UFC gym near by, a lot of guys on my BJJ team have memberships there as well not for learning but because literally everyone who trains there is a fucking scrub, so it's a great way to get rolls in and try out on new shit people.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing except for stand up purposes, I'm already on the national circuit but I train against the same people every day and would like to join up to inject new blood into the mix.

the problem stems from the nature of stand up. Joining up to get rolls in is perfectly reasonable because you aren't going to really hurt someone unless you are being a real cunt. I wonder how I would get people to agree to sparring me?

I know they are going to insist I go through training there but sincerely I am far beyond any training this place can offer me. Their head BJJ instructor only has a purple belt.
>>
fuck, this board is shit now
>>
>>1254352
As long as proper equipment is worn (gloves, mouth guard, cup), you shouldn't be getting hurt while sparring.
>>
>>1258349
even with gear you will take lumps when sparring, no question about it
more importantly people seem to take it more personally when you make them look like a chump standing
>>
>>1255200
Like it wasn't shit when everyone was tkdbrah and saying retarded shit all the time
>>
>>1258518
its much worse now

chinese moot was a mistake
>>
>>1254352
What is your experience with striking? Are you going to go there just for striking, or are you going to do MMA training?

Do you mean you're already on the national circuit as in you compete in striking?
>>
>>1259004
>Do you mean you're already on the national circuit as in you compete in striking?
yes, and I want some fodder to practice against. But I need to do so in a way that doesn't make me look cunty HEY BRO WANNA SPAR?
>>
>>1259650
So you're supposedly "on the national circuit" but want to practice on noobs because you are too socially retarded to ask someone to spar?
>>
>>1259802
no

when all you have at your disposal is high level people to practice against you really need to be on point and use your already sharpened skills. The benefit of practicing against new guys is you can hold back a little and try out new things you are working on.

Sparring isn't good for developing new skills, its good for honing skills you already have. need some scrubs so I can play a little with fancy entries and unorthodox stuff
>>
>>1259962
You sound like the dumbest motherfucker who thinks he is the smartest motherfucker.

> sparring against noobs who know less is better practice than going against experienced partners.
>>
>>1259969
I don't think you're actually listening to what I'm saying
>>
So what i get from this is you've reached a plato not on skill level on your training partners where you're constantly pushing yourself and do not have the lax mind set with your partners that you feel you need to try new things.
Now what i feel is that you should just ask your preexisting sparring partners for technical sparring both of you should be holding back and focusing on technique to allow you to work these new things.
Thats what i do and i train with the current fnf lightweight champion as well as other champions from our sister gym.
But if that's not an option why don't you just ask the same of the scrubs, aye i want to try these new things you seem "decent" in your striking and would like your help.
>>
>>1259969
He's actually completely right. Unless you're extremely lucky and find the one silver bullet to catch someone with, working on new techniques is next to impossible against people who are capable of shutting them down before you can develop them properly.
>>
so that brings me back to what I was originally asking
is this a good idea or is there no way for me to do this without looking like a cocky upstart?

because the scenario I see playing out is
>go in
>ask people to spar
>they are disrespected for some reason
>agree to "Spar"
>try to knock my block off
>a real fight happens
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.