[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can Judo be effective in street fights? Is it a good art for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: gold.jpg (43 KB, 474x504) Image search: [Google]
gold.jpg
43 KB, 474x504
Can Judo be effective in street fights?

Is it a good art for beginners?

Would it help me grow as a person?
>>
>>1235564
no negro, slamming a guy onto the sidewalk wont be effective at all.
>>
>>1235564

kinda maybe. I saw a fight between this drunk guy and someone not as drunk a few weeks ago, and the guy just threw the drunk guy down over his shoulders and that was it. He just kind of slowly moved around on the ground like a turtle on its back and that was it.
>>
>>1235564
The answer is yes even if you replaced it with just about any other martial art.
>>
>>1235594
>BREAKING NEWS!
Beating up drunk people is easy and in other news water is wet.
>>
Judo can be very effective in a real fight. It's also the only grappling style I would want to use in a multi-man fight. Going to the ground is a sure way to get your head stomped in, but with Judo you can grab a guy, throw him, and turn to the next guy.
That being said, in a multi man fight I would want to avoid grappling as MUCH as possible, since you're still likely to go to the ground anyway, and stick with striking. And in one v one, BJJ is objectively the best grappling.

That being said, Judo is fun as fuck. I prefer it over BJJ, but train both.
>>
>>1237029
Just about this. Multiple dudes are REALLY bad odds, but knowing something that CAN improve your odds is better than nothing in my opinion. There's a reason people like saying that you're hitting people with the earth. Especially on concrete, just try not to kill the guy.
>>
>>1237537
>Multiple dudes are REALLY bad odds

This.

Protip: try not to get into fights where you're outnumbered.

Nike fu > Judo > BJJ
>>
>>1235564
The only thing that's truly effective is to kick em in the dick & run.
>>
>>1237029
>multiman fight
Judotard confirmed for never having been in a fight. Good luck using your judo when you're alone surrounded by black gentlemen.
>>
>>1238409
M8, if its a multiman fight you're probably fucked, judo just has ever so slightly better chances than something like bjj in terms of grappling. Of course the best option would be defensive/agile boxing, and even then you'd want devilish luck to make it out unscathed. It's just that OP asked about judo, the other guy just decided to bring up multiple attackers as a subject, to compare judo with other stuff, in.
>>
>>1235564
You know what's effective? Me.
>>
>>1238409
My uncle once was attacked by two guys, and threw them both in seconds. Then again, at the time my uncle was an active 2nd dan with a national title under his belt in the youth divisions.
>>
>>1237029
Have you ever actually thrown someone? This isn't a movie where you execute a perfect standing throw without moving. Throwing is the hardest aspect of any grappling art. It's nearly impossible to launch someone without following them to the mat. Ever notice how elite judoka flip or cartwheel over the person that they throw? It's to emphasize the power of their throw. Thinking that you're Jason Statham and that you're going to effortlessly throw six people without ending up on the ground is dumb.
>>
>>1236546
>water is wet
Stop forcing this meme.
>>
>>1235564
No, do any form of boxing instead.
Helps you maintain distance and hopefully break a nose, a jaw, or even knock someone out if they get too close, you hit the ones who get too close then you run.
>>
>>1241159
Did you not see the part I said to avoid grappling and stick to striking as much as possible in a multiman fight, for literally that reason? I know you almost always go to the ground with throws, but it's possible to stay standing.
>>
>>1242094
Idk man it just seems like something stupid to plan for imhowymgf
>>
>>1236546
Water is in fact not wet.
>>
>>1241220
What are you going to do when someone grabs you in the street from behind with just boxing experience? I mean seriously, Judo is perfect for self-defense. A punch won't knock you out but a perfectly timed throw on concrete will.
>>
>>1243023
punching is simple anyone can punch
you look at any throw or grapple and there are all these overly complicated moving parts

in the streets no one is going to remember those moves.
>>
Judo is effective in a street fight. But in Judo you don't learn how to apply it in a street fight.

When you do Muay Thai or Krav Maga you truly start seeing how to incorporate your Judo into a street fight situation. How to close in and get into a clinch and then do your thing.
>>
>>1243023
Can you even throw somebody grabbing you from behind perfectly every time? I can imagine you failing most of the time.
>>
>>1243023
>Judo is perfect for self-defense
Why must you do this.
>>
>>1235564
> Can Judo be effective in street fights?

Not many martial arts are good at street fighting since there's a lot of passion/emotion involved. They're often wreckless. So unless you're the cool calm one and can set the guy you're fighting up, he's most likely to try some kind of stancing in the beginning, but will eventually break down and hurl himself at you if he's getting his ass kicked or doesn't think he's going to win and look good. Any kind of martial art that allows you to trap or lock someone would do good, but to pull some Bruce Lee shit, no. One you're not Bruce Lee and two, only idiots want to street fight. Those kind of people are heated and as I said, get wreckless.

>Is it a good art for beginners?

It depends on what you want out of martial arts in general. It will teach you anatomy and how the body works, but there are different arts for different reasons.

>Will it help me grow as a person?

Yes. Any kind of routine that involves discipline during the duration is good. It teaches you how to control yourself, not just in your temper, but your thinking and how to carry yourself. Not many of the great martial artists are slouchers or grungy.
>>
>>1243037
This... simple answer but full of true, if you get closer enough THEN you can use judo.
>>
>>1243101
>only idiots want to street fight.
Some people believe in cleaning up the streets.
Some people believe in a better tomorrow for their home.
Some people will fight for what's right.
>>
>>1243023
>perfect for self defense
>a perfectly timed move works
Good luck doing your "perfectly timed move" in a multimen street fight.
>>
>>1235564
It's extremely useful in urban areas with a lot of pavement. If you slam someone's head into concrete or asphalt, they're going to take a little nap.
>>
>>1235564
You won't get any real answers from this board. Atleast not anymore. Go out and train OP.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.