[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: top tier talent that was 100% wasted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 21
File: steve_blackman_promo.jpg (577 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
steve_blackman_promo.jpg
577 KB, 600x800
>mfw he looks exactly the same today

Vince fucked up.
>>
>le martial arts man
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>
So far it's ryback and kalisto

also the shockmaster
>>
London and Kendrick. They had a decent start, but...
>>
>>1235051
he was boring
>>
Blackman was boring in ring and on mic
>>
>>1235068
>Was completely indifferent to Divas being sexy to him like a fucking VN protagonist
>Had a diverse movepool and a great technician
>incredible physical performer who literally seems immortal, has barely aged in 15 years from his TV drama pitch last year
>His serious nature made for great deadpan moments and interactions with goof jobbers
>Had potential hype after a year undefeated and being a fucking hitman for Vince that never got utilized other than bullshiting on heat

Literally just needed to learn how to handle a mic and he was set for greatness.
>>
>>1235060

This was during his teaming up with Al Snow wasn't it?

I always liked Blackman. His blandness was actually used as part of his gimmick and the stuff with Snow was pretty funny.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (71 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
71 KB, 1280x720
>>1235078

>"I think we are a match made in heaven. My last partner Mick Foley had three personalities, you don't have any personality."
>>
>>1235088
>>1235078
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSqFGgQkch0

kek i googled this before you guys posted
>>
>>1235068
What's wrong with deadpan characters?

Blackman was gold in the ring, and then just being his boring warrior self he played well off of the big personalities of other wrestlers
>>
Why is Freddie Prinze Jr being wasted on some shitter show with Dana Carvey when he could be the GM of RAW
>>
Boooooooring
>>
File: Al Snow.jpg (101 KB, 642x722) Image search: [Google]
Al Snow.jpg
101 KB, 642x722
Dunno why, but i feel like if they pushed him properly, he could've been something
>>
>>1235140
if he was in the shape he is now he would have been face of the company
>>
>>1235141
Absolutely, he's fuckin jacked now
>>
File: Capture.png (797 KB, 856x530) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
797 KB, 856x530
>So, this way this things got to end one way OR ANOTHER!

If only he wasn't garbage disposal on the mic he might have even gotten the belt.
>>
>>1235148
Yeah it's pretty insane. I always picked him in the original smackdown game for reasons I can't remember but he was one of my favourites
>>
>>1235160
I also remember Al Snow being OP as fuck in WWF No Mercy. In that game though, you pretty much had to pick anybody with the piledriver as one of their default moves or you were fucked. I think Al also had a few moves where you could hit their balls and raise the attitude meter very easily
>>
>>1235166
I had PS1 I never actually played No Mercy I think I'm missing out on something since everybody says its one of the best wrasslin games
>>
File: ScottSteiner_crop_north.jpg (16 KB, 400x311) Image search: [Google]
ScottSteiner_crop_north.jpg
16 KB, 400x311
>>1235051
>dean malenko
>Tazz
>Mean Street Posse with Shane
>Shelton Benjamin

And most importantly, for their WWE runs

>Scott Steiner
>DDP
>>
>>1235160
i was always a fan of his, at first just bc i was a kid who went along with the whole good guy bad guy thing, but looking back, i think he was legitimately a good performer, & he & mick foley always cracked me up
>>
>>1235051
>top tier talent that was 100% wasted
90% of the current WWE roster
>>
>>1235170
You know, you could just download a shit-tier N64 emulator and WWF No Mercy and play it within minutes
>>
>>1235173
Steiner was injured for his wwe run, there was nothing they could do with his fucked up feet. Except maybe not booking him in 20 minute matches with HHH.

Feel bad for Malenko though he deserved better
>>
File: 01951654765.png (210 KB, 562x408) Image search: [Google]
01951654765.png
210 KB, 562x408
Hopefully it's over now...
>>
>>1235173
GIMME A FUCKIN' MIC!
>>
File: test-wrestler-death.jpg (12 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
test-wrestler-death.jpg
12 KB, 300x200
>prospected to be the next Kevin Nash
>gonna marry into the McMahon but burried by HHH
>get lower mid-carded infinitely and used at a plot muscle and nothing else for 5 years
>Get cucked by steiner

Seriously, test had so much potential for the "big guy with personality" but HHH curbed any chance of that to spite him be Kayfabe ex of his money-wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJZp6awlL58
>>
>>1235214
>edge got pushed instead of him
>>
>>1235173
It's a shame Malenko retired just a couple of years before Heyman booked Smackdown.

Just think of all the great matches we missed out on.
>>
>>1235214
>cucked
Steiner didn't fuck Stacey you autist
>>
>>1235051
Big Show. He has been booked awfully since his debut. He could have been an end boss Brock Lesnar type if they kept him strong and didn't put him on tv every single week.
>>
>>1235492
Big shoe had some moves and mobility back when he was younger in wcw, but after 2000 he was literally just a damage sponge made of chokeslams and yelling.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 192x263) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 192x263
Basically anyone from WCW got the shaft poorly aside from Booker and Jericho
>>
>>1235180
>the real Americans were 3 years ago

How could so much go so wrong so quickly?
>>
>>1235173
DDP is my go to for this question

absolute disgrace how he was used in WWE
>>
File: tumblr_n5i5ahWqJ91qheak7o4_250.gif (998 KB, 245x171) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n5i5ahWqJ91qheak7o4_250.gif
998 KB, 245x171
>epic on the mic

>Can overhead press heavyweights

>hype from every direction

>Booked to only be HHH beating dog and Test of all tag team partners

Seriously, thats an insult to the legacy of the Steiner brothers. He invented the frankensteiner for gods sake.
>>
>>1235937
Off the top of my head: Beniot, Eddie, Booker, Goldberg
>>
>>1235078
>His blandness was actually used as part of his gimmick

I've always thought that the pure lack of a gimmick could be worked well into a humorously deadpan one.
Like Lance Storm.
>>
>>1235446
>implying steiner hasn't fucked everyone from stacey to your father

they don't call him big poppa pump for nothin'
>>
File: bayleyfrankentiener.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bayleyfrankentiener.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>1236011
>He invented the frankensteiner for gods sake.
based bayley does it still, i bet he loves it.
>>
>>1236111
Basically everyone with any level of flippy offense does it.
>>
>>1236131
Yes but she has a butt.
>>
>>1236151
Steiner hates fat asses
>>
>>1236162
Can't imagine why you like him so much then
>>
>>1236165
What
>>
>>1236185
I'm calling you fat
>>
>>1236192
Weak execution desu
>>
>good at mic work
>ripped
>bad ass beard
>The fans like him

damn shame Vince has such a hate boner for anyone not willing to sit on their ass with their thumb up their rectum and wait for him to go "okay now it's your turn"
>>
>>1236218
>good mic work

he's awful on the mic what are you talking about, do you not remember when he was US champ?
>>
>>1236234
sadly wasn't around for that but I've seen him wrestle some good matches.
>>
File: image.jpg (870 KB, 1728x905) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
870 KB, 1728x905
I know I'll get shit but whatever
>>
File: Leon_White_9323.jpg (21 KB, 269x362) Image search: [Google]
Leon_White_9323.jpg
21 KB, 269x362
His run during the attitude era was a joke.
>>
>>1235214
bullshit, test was getting pushed long after the stephanie storyline. he fucked it up because he had zero charisma and was a mediocre wrestler

not to mention perpetual bacne
>>
>>1236237
He should be a popular midcarder who gets PPV preshow matches, he is underutilized but not to the degree that his online fanbase seems to think he is.

The hometown shit was disgusting and so was his involvement in the Kane-Cena shit but people seem to think he's good enough to go top of the card for some reason.
>>
>>1236258
he deserves to show up on Raw Regularly. I'm still salty that he won at mania 32 only to have to job to the Miz because Maryse wanted to come back. and then of all the places to cash in his rematch clause it was fucking Smackdown which may as well be named "Status quo: The Wrestling Show"

would it kill the bookers to just let him keep that belt for a month?
>>
>>1236021
what about buff bagwell, kronik, sean stasiak, and kanyon?
>>
File: A+.gif (2 MB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
A+.gif
2 MB, 400x294
>>1235051
>>
>>1236250
if he hadn't left, wrestlemania 32 would've been bastista vs orton yet again

>search your feeling you know it's true
>>
>>1236265
i'd also throw in chuck palumbo
>>
>>1236262
Smackdown isn't even canon half the time
>>
>>1236111
my gf
>>
>>1236276
which pisses me off more. the fact that we haven't seen Ryder since that smackdown makes me think someone forgot to run the booked result of the ladder match past Vince and the following Raw and Smackdown was him "correcting a typo"
>>1236271
You aren't wrong, we probably wouldn't have gotten that feel good moment for Daniel Bryan if Punk hadn't taken his ball home.

However Punks points about the part timers in wwe thing feels especially poignant when you consider how much of this past wrestlemania was part timers or retirees pulling over wins and beat downs on the current full time performers.
>>
>>1236267
This
>>
>>1235933
He cant even do his big chokeslam properly anymore, thats why they gave him that fuckin KO punch.. Then they had mayweather 'knock him out' which made him look like a little bitch,

WWE love to put celebs over their own talent tho, despite paying the celebs to be there.. never understood the masochism element they always have with celebrities
>>
I like Blackman but he's midcard at best, like people said he's boring. He also can't sell for shit.

He was a GOAT hardcore champion though.
>>
>>1236324
>.. never understood the masochism element they always have with celebrities
publicity for the sake of the celebrity.
Trump won the battle of the billionaires because can you imagine Trump ever being bald and that not ruining his image?
Mayweather is a seasoned boxer and losing to a wrestler which to most of the world "is fake" would more or less ruin his credibility

yeah it's fucking terrible that people like Big Show and John Cena have o lay down for people who aren't even trained to work as wrestlers but consider how fucking destructive a loss in wrestling would be to any celebrities image.
>>
>>1236402
They should keep celebrities away from the fucking ring then
>>
>>1236407
You aren't wrong
>>
>>1236347
He was literally RVD without the charming chill-dude personality.

He at least deserved a proper tag team run or shot at non-garbage titles.

If his mic skills could improve, he could have been top tier but not main eventer like RVD.
>>
Blackman was a legit badass in the back, nobody messed with him. He once knocked out the Big Show.

Shame he had concussions, I always loved watching him wave his kendo sticks around. He was a good example of someone that wasn't anything special on the mic, but somebody that could put on a good, different type of match.
>>
>>1236718
>charming chill-dude personality

>dude weed lmao
>>
>>1236907
>RVD
>dude weed

Just because someone is laid back doesn't mean they were stoners.

Where was there ever even an implication of that?
>>
File: 1430006177595.jpg (6 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1430006177595.jpg
6 KB, 256x192
>>1235140
Listen to his shoots on Youtube, he really knows the business and destroys smarks left and right.
>>
Sean O'haire
>>
>>1236978

>On July 3, 2006, The Ironton Tribune reported that Szatkowski (RVD) and Terry Brunk (Sabu) had been arrested on the previous evening on U.S. Route 52 in Hanging Rock, Ohio. Szatkowski had been stopped for speeding by an Ohio State Highway Patrol trooper, who discovered that he was in possession of 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin pills, while Brunk was in possession of drug paraphernalia and nine tablets of Testolactone.[253] Both Szatkowski and Brunk were released after posting bail, and were scheduled to appear in Ironton Municipal Court on July 6, 2006.[254] On July 6, The Ironton Tribune reported that the court date for Szatkowski and Brunk was in limbo, as their attorneys had asked for and were granted continuances.[255] On August 31, Szatkowski pleaded guilty to speeding and possession of marijuana but the charge of Vicodin possession was dropped when he produced a prescription. He was fined $140 and additional court costs.[256]

Dude.

Weed.

LMAO.
>>
>>1237082
Yes and everyone in WCW and pre attitude WWF were on roids. That doesn't change that RVD was a fucking GOAT performer from every angle.
>>
>>1235051
I don't know about 100% wasted. He had some decent exposure.
>>
File: ddp_crop_north.jpg (14 KB, 276x184) Image search: [Google]
ddp_crop_north.jpg
14 KB, 276x184
IT"S ME IT"S ME
THE UNDERTAKERS STALKER
>>
>>1237565
Oh hey, its the guy who beta tested the RKO.
>>
File: NobodyGetsHigherThanRobVanDam.jpg (513 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
NobodyGetsHigherThanRobVanDam.jpg
513 KB, 1000x750
>>1237539
NOBODY GETS HIGHER THAN ROB VAN DAM!
>>
>>1235051
Jesus, this guy is immortal. He came back for a cameo 3 years ago and he looked exactly the same from 1999.

He even called the company shit for prissying up Bradshaw sho used to actually be cool.

https://youtu.be/vOQ5aiDb2MY

Blackman was too based for the company.
>>
>>1237548
He was King of the jobbers. He jobbed hard to main eventer but destroyed all midcarders like paper
>>
>>1235051
He was not top tier talent. One of the worst ever on the mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKSiChEuTng
>>
I always thought Sabu had more to give. He was talented as fuck, and showed that side in ECW. He was just as athletic as RVD, and just as brutally hardcore as Foley or Funk.
>>
I honestly thought Chavo was underplayed. With Eddie's death, his fathers legacy, and his good mix of technical moves and high flying, he deserved at least an intercontinental shot.

Hell Jacqueline beat him for the cruiserweight title AFTER intergender was already all but gone. But no, lets turn him into a white guy and push Rey Mysterio.
>>
>Wasted
Dean Malenko
Billy Kidman
Kane (dat 1999 physical peak)
Goldust
Val Venis
Bull Buchanan
Hardcore Holly

>Undeservedly pushed
Rey Mysterio jr (yes he was good but stale as fuck pretty quickly)
RVD
Cena
Batista
Edge
>>
>>1238855
Goddamn you have poor taste.
>>
File: saturn3.jpg (53 KB, 311x400) Image search: [Google]
saturn3.jpg
53 KB, 311x400
Upper midcard at best, probably, but considering how talented and how over he was around 1998, the fact that he amounted to nothing really sucks.
>>
>>1236258
You're right, he shouldn't be on the top card, but he should be on the midcard at least. I think he'll get what he deserves later on in his career if he stays around WWE. He'll probably have a lengthy or at the very least ONE WWE title run later on. (Which would give him a Grand Slam if that happens.) Miz was in the lower to midcard for most of his career until Vince noticed his workrate and gave him the top prize. It'll probably happen to him very later on. If Vince won't give him his dues then Haitch will. I'm mean Ryder does have a pretty good run in NXT, so Haitch does see something good in him.
>>
File: di-biase-sr-1787460.jpg (58 KB, 445x333) Image search: [Google]
di-biase-sr-1787460.jpg
58 KB, 445x333
Should have had a legit run or two with the WWF Title in the 1980's.

Still my favorite heel of all time.
>>
File: 1448744208558.png (3 MB, 824x10000) Image search: [Google]
1448744208558.png
3 MB, 824x10000
>>1238855
>Undeservedly pushed
>RVD
>>
>>1239680
RVD was like Mysterio. Great in the right circumstances, but not in others. Moves got tired and predictable very quickly. Flippy shit doesn't work in every circumstance. Add to that the high susceptibility to botching. You can't tell me RVD made a better WWE champion than Val Venis would have. Val was fucking solid in the ring. I didn't realise it at the time, but as I've been watching older events on WWE network, he impressed me more and more.

And Kane's 1 day is an insult. Would have been better to not give him the belt at all. He was 7 foot tall doing perfect standing dropkicks ffs. And it really undermined his gimmick. When he arrived in 97, and through 98, his whole thing was "zomg he's so scary and powerful!, can beat Undertaker to a pulp, zomg!". He was a real threat. But when he never had a run with the belt, never was at the top as a heel (even a face for that mater), it showed the threat to be an empty one. By 2000 Kane was basically debunked, finished. Quite sad.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.