[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Training in Multiple Arts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 406x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 406x900
How do you train in multiple arts? What is the most efficient way?

One at a time?
All together at the same time?
>>
Kind of a cop-out to say, but it depends. Some arts don't mesh together very well, which would mean learning both could actually hinder progress in either. On the other hand, more experience in anything helps to build a rounded sense of what works and what doesn't.

As long as you're working hard every day and actually thinking about the application of what you're learning it doesn't really matter.
>>
Bruce Lee here is very relevant.
Take from each art what works, and forget the rest.
>>
>>1222934
Agreed. I say train one at a time, though. Learn the techniques of one. Throw out what's useless. Then move on to the next martial art.

Taking several at once might be too much information or harmful to your body.
(i.e. you could end up sparring 4-5 times a week and getting your ass kicked to learn nothing.)
>>
>>1223000
How are you to know which technique are useless? And I don't mean 'you' in the general sense. I mean you surgically l specifically because you give off the vibe of a self-fellating idiot.
>>
>>1223000

>you could end up sparring 4-5 times a week
That may be a problem, if one were to train at multiple places.
Say, for example, an MMA gym. It's a relatively common practice for the training to be structured in a way that is meant for things like you mentioned to not happen.

Also, I personally believe that no technique is useless.
However, I do not find every technique to be equal.
>>
>>1222934
Bruce Lee is a fucking movie star who never fought anyone, he's never relevant to anything unless the discussion is around action choreography or cult psychology
>>
>>1223507
Watch a documentary on him.
He fought a lot.
>>
>>1223507
>this is what fags believe who just watch his movies
>>
bruce lees style jeet kune do is a mix up of all different techniques so by learning JKD you learn parts of boxing , wing chun and Chinese kung fu .
>>
>>1224203
Also fencing, judo/jiu-jitsu, karate, and wrestling. Idk if he mixed anything else
>>
>>1224545
>judo/jiu-jitsu, karate
Why isn't Judo called Karate?
>>
>>1223000
>(i.e. you could end up sparring 4-5 times a week and getting your ass kicked to learn nothing.)
From personal experience, as far as grappling goes, sparring 4-5 times a week is quite feasible, and neither is getting your ass kicked - provided you walk away without injury - as it will teach you lots.
>>
>>1225329
Because I've yet to see a Karateka consistently and over and over again beat other professional fighters with throws and grappling.

And I've yet to see a Judoka beat someone with well timed simultaneous counters and distance control.
>>
>>1223677
>Watch a documentary on him.
>He fought a lot.

Kek.

Oh did he? Surely you can find that one CHAMPEEN golden gloves boxer who he completely shit on when he was in High School right?

Or you could get an interview of Wong Jack Man that corroborates his estate's version of that story, right?

Let me help you out here with a pro tip amigo: You can't.
>>
>>1222807
You should never start two arts at the same time, give it a year or two then pick up another.

If you only ever train in one art or one gym/dojo your will getting a limited picture of what the martial arts have to offer.

In context seminars are good too. You might not pick up a new art, but you might get a chance to work with someone from a different art who really knows what they are doing
>>
>>1223507
fighting doesn't make you a good fighter, training does

you think the 15 minutes I spend in a cage twice a year really matters at all compared to the THOUSANDS of hours I spend in the gym training?

get over yourself. Fighting is a test of skills, it doesn't do anything to develop them.
>>
>>1227127
There are stories of him being challenged by random faggots on the street.
You know nothing, just stop posting.
>>
Train one martial art for at least 2 years. Then add the rest.
>>
>>1227249
>There are stories of him being challenged by random faggots on the street.

From people who have a vested interest in the mythology built up around him by his estate (his wife Linda).

No one has ever been able to provide proof that he ever fought anyone other than Wong Jack Man. And pretty much everyone but Lee's estate (his wife Linda) that was there have a completely different story about how it actually went down and why.

>You know nothing, just stop posting.

This coming from a Lee dick rider who can't even be bothered to read anything about him beyond his estate. Why don't you use your Google fu and go read the N+1 discussions that have occurred involving Bruce Lee and his mythology, and maybe pick up and read the Tao of JKD.

>>1227160
>you think the 15 minutes I spend in a cage twice a year really matters at all compared to the THOUSANDS of hours I spend in the gym training?

Not that anon, but it does matter. If you don't step into the ring/cage to find out if what you're training actually works against a resisting opponent who isn't going to take it easy on you because you're gym buddies, then how do you know you can perform under pressure?

It's an entirely different thing to go hard in the gym when you're sparring than stepping into the ring in front of a crowd against a guy you've only ever seen video of, if that.
>>
>>1227294
>If you don't step into the ring/cage to find out if what you're training actually works against a resisting opponent who isn't going to take it easy on you because you're gym buddies, then how do you know you can perform under pressure?
right, its a test

but having that fight didn't even marginally increase my ability to fight. Man especially at the amateur level, and honestly even at the low professional level being able to win those fights is no different from knocking out a drunk guy at the bar. Bunch of skinny fats, tubbos, and strong spaz bros that stomp around with their chin out, can't even throw a kick at eye level because their hips are too tight, and blow their whole wad in the first 2 minutes.
the skill ceiling is very high but entry level shit you have people who never did a martial art in their life going pro after a year of training. Unless you are a pretty high level pro you will never get a reasonable test of your abilities.

And not having performance anxiety doesn't have anything to do with your ability to fight either, that's a completely unrelated problem.
I can tell you this, if you are even aware of a crowd during a fight you probably shouldn't be fighting yet. laser focus, that man is trying to kill you, who cares if people are watching?
>>
>>1227313
>I can tell you this, if you are even aware of a crowd during a fight you probably shouldn't be fighting yet.

I've won multiple fights in the ring and cage. In just wrestling I probably did something like 125+ matches in front of crowds.

I'm comfortable performing in front of a crowd. But it really can make someone nervous, and thus effect their ability to perform, especially if they never have before. And I'm not the only fighter I know that thinks this.

>And not having performance anxiety doesn't have anything to do with your ability to fight either

It really does, because it doesn't matter what you do in the gym if you freeze up when the real thing happens. That's why actually stepping into the ring or onto the mat to compete in whatever you are training is important, because you teaches you to deal with the adrenaline dump that comes with fighting someone unknown to you in front of a crowd.
>>
>>1223169
Think about how each technique works in a fight. Too many movements? Cut it.
Too Showy? Cut it.
Literally doesn't even work? Cut it.

God knows gyms and dojos love teaching stuff that doesn't even make sense for the sake of teaching the "whole" art.
>>
>>1227435
>adrenaline dump
fictional. There isn't any "dump" the hormone response builds over the course of minutes and then lasts for hours and tapers, it doesn't dump. And adrenaline isn't something that needs to be overcome, it will not ever in any way hinder your ability unless you think increased focus and muscular stamina is a hindrance.
The so called adrenaline dump people talk about where people freeze up and spaz is just regular old anxiety from being unprepared and nervous, nothing to do with your hormones.

that anxiety should be handled during training as well though, and actually now that I think about it there was an emphasis on getting rid of fight anxiety right when I first started, like literally getting that bullshit taken care of as close to day 1 as possible.
>be new
>ok you go spar now against this experienced guy
>he pulls out a knife and starts slashing at me (not a real knife obviously)
and when you go through what you perceived as a real knife attack, suddenly a regular old fist fight doesn't bother you anymore
>>
>>1227294
>No one has ever been able to provide proof that he ever fought anyone other than Wong Jack Man.
Are there are interview videos on YouTube where these people make claims?

Someone could watch the videos, read body language and microexpressions, and then possibly draw conclusions.
>>
>>1227890
>that anxiety should be handled during training as well though, and actually now that I think about it there was an emphasis on getting rid of fight anxiety right when I first started, like literally getting that bullshit taken care of as close to day 1 as possible.
>>be new
>>ok you go spar now against this experienced guy
>>he pulls out a knife and starts slashing at me (not a real knife obviously)
>and when you go through what you perceived as a real knife attack, suddenly a regular old fist fight doesn't bother you anymore

>Things that didn't happen, the post.
>>
>>1227992
>Are there are interview videos on YouTube where these people make claims?

Yes. It's mostly people who are only marginally known because they are associated with his mythology and "legacy", or directly associated with his estate due to their affiliation with Jeet Kune Do. Like Jim Kelly.

The people who trained with him and who can remain a bit more objective because their "legacies" aren't tied to the mythology of Lee aren't so quick to ride his nuts. These people include Joe Lewis and Gene LeBell.

>Someone could watch the videos, read body language and microexpressions, and then possibly draw conclusions.

Or you could just Occam's Razor that shit up and look at the overwhelming lack of actual proof coming from people whose livelihoods depend on the Lee mythos.
>>
>>1228476
>just Occam's Razor that shit up and look at the overwhelming lack of actual proof
The lack of evidence proving he did things is also the lack of evidence proving he didn't do things.
>>
>>1228468
not sure what makes that so unbelievable. that's the difference between going to an MMA gym and actually learning martial arts.
in other words, the difference between a guy trained to fight and a fighter
The idea of being a trained fighter that gets nervous in a fight is frankly ridiculous
>>
>>1228946
>that's the difference between going to an MMA gym and actually learning martial arts.
Are you saying all non-weapons martial arts are fake martial arts?
>>
>>1228675
>is also the lack of evidence proving he didn't do things.

It's also the onus of the person making claims that he did or could do something to prove it. So far none have been able to.

>>1228946
>The idea of being a trained fighter that gets nervous in a fight is frankly ridiculous

>More role playing!
>>
>>1228946
Wow. Dude no matter what strength, dexterity, experience with taking and throwing a punch, and large amounts of sparring will always win over some half assed knife training. Donnie yen admits he couldn't take on an MMA fighter. Those guys fight for a living. Do you realize how utterly good you have to be to fight for a living? Could you beat a guy who's livelihood is based off of throwing a thousand combinations a day, sparring practice for hours, strength training and endurance training, with the best in the world? Seriously, what kind of fantasy world do you live in?

Bruce lee wasn't the worlds best fighter but he could fight. Who knows if he could stand up to Muay Thai professionals or kick boxers, but he at
Least had some training and strength training.
>>
>>1229056
>>1230731
>>1230806
you guys seem to have missed the point

lets talk for a moment about when I play jiujitsu, and the most frustrating thing in the world for people is keeping me held in what would be effective submissions on lesser people

I'm not going to tap to a choke, you need to put my unconscious, and I'm not going to give in to discomfort and pain compliance. You get an armbar, I'm not giving you a tap until I feel you have a full intention of breaking my arm, and most people don't have that in them to do it even in a competition, they will threaten it but they wont crank it for the win, they will give it up and grab for something else because they don't have the guts to finish it.

I have no fear of bodily harm in there, I walk in fully knowing my life may be ended and I'm at peace with that.
You wrap a triangle on me and unless you have put me out I will sit there and wear whatever pressure you are cranking down on me. No fear, never panic. And the fact it is IMPOSSIBLE to make me panic even when I'm getting fucked up is the edge I have to beat people who may be more technically skilled than I am.
>>
>>1222807
HI OP, let me help you out. I received my foundation training in boxing while in grade school (i was an insufferable nerd and my dad wanted me to be able to protect myself). in high school i started in aikido and continued in college where i picked up judo. I am currently back in aikido and here is my report.
Randori (sparring) doesn't happen every session. you train a technique, switch between giver and receiver and build on the previous session. there are usually dedicated days for randori and those can be fun!
I have a reputation in my current dojo as a goofy foot (backwards footing) aikidoka because my primary training is different.
judo is very compatible with aikido and as long are you are not too sore, should work out for you. big plus if you learn simple Japanese phrases.
we had a girl mma fighter who trained with us in judo twice a week while also training in something else (can't remember what) and she did great.
>>
>>1231012
are you ok? is there anything i can do for you?

you are eventually going to hurt someone.
>>
>>1231631
Aikido is basically judo toned way the hell down.

>>1231012
Yeah, okay there superman.

Your gonna get killed one day. Tapping is a way to learn quick to avoid precarious situations. Playing tough guy will get you fucked up. A good schools going to reinforce this. You get rear naked by a guy twice your size and try that shit. Better to learn not to expose your back than use "guts" which by the way will fail you if you don't have enough mass and power to deal with whoever is choking you.

I mean, have you actually sparred before with someone bigger than you? Weight classes are made for a reason..
>>
>>1231830
the differences in judo vs aikido are significant and not just in technique. its a different crowd, different philosophy, just different.

i do agree that superman is looking for harm, i hope he gets the help he needs, because i be he knows the dark side of arm bars and chokes.
>>
>>1231830
getting caught is an inevitability, the measure of a martial artist isn't based on how they react when things are going their way. I'm not one of those motherfuckers who tap out to a knee on belly because its hard to breathe and its uncomfortable. Can't stand that shit.

if a guy gets me in a rear naked choke he better make damn sure I go unconscious because it doesn't matter how much pressure he clamps on me, if I can still fight I'm still fighting. His grips will fail before my will power does.
>>
>>1232015
you never been choked out before
way to show you never trained
>>
>>1232020
>you never been choked out before
I never said that. I'm saying I'm not going to tap because you grabbed a choke, you actually have to execute the choke. Locking it in on me doesn't mean shit until I start to fade and lose consciousness. If I can slip a finger in there, it doesn't matter how much my head feels like it will pop, I'm going to let it ride until I find a way out
>>
>>1232047
kek you're not gonna find a way out
your dead to rights when and if the choke is slapped on your pencil neck
>>
>>1232047
Have fun dying m8
>>
>>1231996
Yeah, you are right about that. They are very different. But wouldn't you agree that tai sabaki is a common thread between them, and they both have throws that use the opponents body weight against them? I know aikido is more wrist lock heavy and has the idea of intrinsic energy and Judo is about minimum effort with maximum efficiency, but they both share the idea of breaking and displacing a stronger opponents strength.
>>
>>1232020
i bet he has trained, he's just That Guy
every club has him. Seanbaby from cracked does a funny send up of That Guy in one of his articles.

for the record superman, not tapping out doesn't mean you are a bad ass, it means you are a bad training partner.
still, after you deal with whatever you need to deal with, i would love to learn your perspective on chokes.
>>
>>1232094
well yes, but you are way over thinking this.

aikido has old people. lots of old retired folks, having a blast. its a social as well as martial hang out. they talk spirituality, what its like to be retired, that sort of stuff.

now, i have only done judo in college and later at the sioux city judo club, but not a lot of older people there other than one of the sensei. mostly a sporting feel, just as social in a very different way. also, more competition oriented. both were awesome.
>>
>>1231012
Lol are you the BJJ version of the Goju fag character?

This is some quality shit posting!
>>
>>1232047
It just gets better! High quality shit anon!
>>
>>1232047
What do you do during heel hooks, tough guy?
>>
>>1232199
Shots fired.
>>
>>1232199
not sure how I can make it more clear. Unless I am in imminent danger of being killed or maimed I'm not giving you shit
>>
>>1233238
why? why are you so selfish in your training? why are you That Guy? you know you can change at any time you wish, right?
>>
>>1222807
anyway OP, which ones were you interested in?
>>
>>1222807
All together, like high school.

1st period: science
2nd period: history
3rd period: elective
4th period: math
5th period: language
6th period: elective
All in the same day.
>>
>>1233238
You're making it very, very clear you've never trained at all. Try again, get this trolling act down better before you take it to Sherdog or something.

What do you do during Heel Hooks?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.