[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does boxing give you brain damage? Should I just quit? I work in IT.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6
File: kickboxing.jpg (412 KB, 2860x2396) Image search: [Google]
kickboxing.jpg
412 KB, 2860x2396
Does boxing give you brain damage? Should I just quit? I work in IT.
>>
>>1215515

Does smoking give you lung disease?
>>
Most Brain Damage: Boxing
Medium Brain Damage: Kickboxing
Low to No Brain Damage: Kyokushin Karate
>>
>>1215515
Anything with a ten count is bad

Or just don't get hit
>>
Same response as in the /k/ thread:
You'll probably be fine, but obviously everything has risks.
>>
>>1219735

I went today and explicitly asked people I was sparring with to go easy on me. Everything was a lot better and I didn't get hard hits to the head. I also wore headgear this time. I got grazed a few times but it was fine. I think my mistake was that last time I didn't wear headgear (no one else did either though, so how could I know, it was my first time) and I got 3 or so hits on my head, I think two of them were kicks to the jaw, one a punch to the nose. This was during sparring which was supposed to be "light". More like medium intensity but still. Of course when I got hit it pissed me off and I tried to retaliate.
>>
>>1215515
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica
>>
As long as you don't go pro, barring any accidents you'll be fine

It's the careers that kill people, not the hobbies.
>>
>>1215515
Any sport where your head is hit repeatedly will give you brain damage. CTE is real.
>>
>>1219827

If you ask people to go easy on you then try to retaliate because you get pissed they don't go easy enough, expect to get your shit pushed in.

If you can't handle the normal intensity of the gym, quit. You're wasting your time and theirs.

Also, IT? Who gives a fuck? You're not curing cancer. You can spare a few brain cells, keyboard jockey.
>>
>>1219827
>Of course when I got hit it pissed me off and I tried to retaliate.

Unless someone is purposefully ramping up the contact there is absolutely no reason to do this. Especially considering you're ramping up the contact against people who can already fight better than you.

It's like those shitty self defense classes that teach people to escalate the level of violence in a fight when they can't even fight.

>I think my mistake was that last time I didn't wear headgear

A headgear isn't going to protect you from getting hit in the head nor will it prevent you from getting concussed.

The headgear is meant to prevent cuts so that amateur fighters/boxers who may be fighting in multiple matches in a tourney in one day lower their risk of getting put out because of a cut.

It does pretty much nothing to prevent you from getting rocked, because it's not the impact of the fist or foot that fucks you up, it's the jarring movement of your brain inside of your skull.
>>
>>1220333
>it's the jarring movement of your brain inside of your skull.
Just like those puffy gloves, the headgear absorbs the energy as it flows through the body, gloves, headgear, and eventually the head. It's less energy causing the jarring movement of the brain inside the skull, so the brain moves with less intensity.
>>
>>1220443
This. The people who spew the stuff that "helmets and gloves don't do anything" have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

While the force is the same, the impulse drops significantly and your brain essentially has more time to catch up with the velocity of your head.
>>
>>1220095
>You're not curing cancer.

Actually, funny thing I was working on a project to do that in grad school... I'd like to preserve my brain if I can since it's my livelihood. Is there any martial art with less hand to head contact and more about drills and a militaristic culture, while still giving you the opportunity to punch stuff?
>>
>>1220972

And get physical conditioning.
>>
>>1220972
So you basically want a martial art with nothing actually martial?

Mate, if you're doing a decent martial art you're going to spar with people.

But that said, if you're only worried about head injuries and don't care about other injuries then there are other martial arts. Maybe kyokushin - they ban head punches.
>>
>>1221048
>So you basically want a martial art with nothing actually martial?

Well I like the martial stuff, the being in formation, listening to an instructor, punching the air while shouting and stuff. I don't like getting hit in the head. Since martial arts are so popular there must be something out there.
>>
>>1221057
Oh, right. What you want is a McDojo.

Basically just go to any krotty or TKD class.
Have fun, but be aware that you aren't going to learn anything whatsoever.
>>
>>1216984
lol tell that to my buddy who was hit with a powerful mawashi geri in the head in kumite, permanent brain damage.
>>
>>1216984
>Most Brain Damage: Boxing
>Medium Brain Damage: Kickboxing

Why do you put kickboxing below? Shouldn't kicks to the head be even worse?
>>
>>1221075
They don't target the head as often. What causes brain damage isn't a couple of hits, it's getting hit dozens of times every day for a decade.

That's why it happens to professionals but not amateurs.
>>
>>1221080
>That's why it happens to professionals but not amateurs.

I've read studies on amateur boxers and kickboxers that still show brain damage. They were looking into the effectiveness of headguards, I think that's what led to the ban on headguards at the amateur level in kickboxing.
>>
>>1221063
Still better than taking 20 stiff jabs to the head.
>>
>>1220972
>Actually, funny thing I was working on a project to do that in grad school.

Well, you obviously failed, because there's still cancer. What kind of IT guy works on cancer projects? Couldn't pick a major?

I spent years doing knockdown karate, and THEN got an engineering degree after I returned to the US. I was not hampered by having taken a few to the dome.

Ask Dolph Lundgren if being a bad motherfucker gives you brain damage. He's smarter than both of us and could kick the shit out of both of us without breaking a sweat in his prime. Probably now, too.

You want to play krotty but you don't want to be a fighter. Just take up wushu or some kind of interpretive dance. You just want to LARP, so fucking LARP and own up to it.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 640x391) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 640x391
>>1215515
Don't spar above playfulness.
Learn superior defence technical skill.

Don't compete or go pro.

Boxing is still bar none, the best martial art in existence for knocking someone out.
>>
>>1221063
>any kind of clean hit to the head
There's obviously going to be some form of a brain damage.
>>
>>1221080
You really think your brain will only begin to become damaged when you become a pro? Get yourself checked.
>>
>>1223046
>What kind of IT guy works on cancer projects?

Ever heard of bioinformatics? Computational biology? Even in population genetics all the analysis and clustering is done by computer, obviously. But I wouldn't expect some yob who's taken so many hits to the head to understand that.
>>
>>1223046

There's a gym near me that specializes in shotokan karate. Should I give that a try?
>>
>>1223675
One tip before you go.
Drop the arrogance and ego.
Else no one will want to train with you.
>>
>>1220972
you're a pussy and you will fail at boxing. give up. just accept that you would be raped if you went to prison
>>
>>1221057
lol you are wasting your boxing instructors time. go take a fucking cardio kickboxing class you gigantic fucking pussy
>>
>>1223750

You do any martial arts?

>in b4 I have seven black belts in hokuto no ken and can perform the deadly Naruto ching chang chong technique
>>
>>1223684
>starts attacking me for no reason
>gets wrecked
>tells me to drop the ego

Good advice but you're a fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>1223753
i did taekwondo from ages 5-12 and ive been boxing for 3 years. im 23.
>>
>>1223757

How often do you spar and how many hits to the head do you take per sparring session?
>>
>>1220972
Why don't you just take up jiu jitsu?
>>
>>1223770
generally 2-3 times per week and it really just depends who I'm sparring. i would say anywhere from 30-100 times.....usually these arent hits that are strong enough to be jarring to the brain, but hard enough that ive had a lot of busted lips and bloody noses. never been knocked out yet in sparring though, and thats the important thing. ko's should be a rarity in sparring.
>>
>>1223786

Jesus, you spar a lot harder than I do then. Even a tap to the head seems to affect my thinking and make me dizzy for the rest of the day, is something wrong with me?

>>1223782

I've been thinking about it but I'll have to find a school that does it, the one closest to me does judo and aikido. If I had to choose between these what would you suggest for me?

Karate
Judo
Kickboxing
Tai Chi
Kung Fu
Jeet Kune Do
Wing Tzun
Aikido
MMA

The school's specialty is Karate (Shotokan style), and I hear their Judo instructor is also very good.
>>
>>1219849
People have gotten CTE well before hitting the NFL level - even high school can be enough. I'd assuming the same is true of amateur vs pro boxing. Getting hit in the head is getting hit in the head, regardless of whether you're getting paid or paying.
>>
>>1223807
Judo and karate, then eventually aikido
>>
>>1223807
I agree with >>1223827

I personally want to take up judo once I feel competent with bjj.
>>
>>1215515

>Does boxing give you brain damage?

Yes.

>Should I just quit?

If you want to.

>I work in IT.

?
>>
>>1223845
>?
IT people like to think they're horribly clever folks

Source: I work in IT
>>
>>1223847

kek I don't think I'm terribly clever but I want to keep what little intellect I have so I can maintain my livelihood. Especially sinfce other jobs are becoming more and more rare and competitive.
>>
>>1223807
Judo, for sure.

It's far more statistically dangerous than boxing, but you only seem to care about head injuries so go for it.

But if they do judo *and* aikido then that's a pretty big red flag. Make sure they compete regularly and that every training session has at least 2-3 rounds of randori.

>>1223830
Just do both. They're basically the same shit, and that's speaking as a judoka. Just do BJJ if you want micropoints and judo if you want ippon rules.
>>
>>1223865
>But if they do judo *and* aikido then that's a pretty big red flag.

Why?
>>
>>1223880
Because aikido is a complete joke, and a judo school which also teaches aikido may mean that they aren't really teaching judo at all.

Make sure they're affiliated with a proper body and that the coach has either a good competition background or good competition results from their students (or preferably both).
>>
>>1223884

Roger that, thanks for the tip.
>>
If you get knocked out, take a break for a month to allow your brain to heal.
>>
>>1223888
By the way, just warning you in advance...
Getting thrown hurts. It hurts a lot more at the start, but it'll always hurt.
Getting choked is not comfortable. Getting armbarred is not comfortable.
You may feel that people are going "too hard" on you if they don't just flat-out let you win.

It's basically the same as boxing in that regard. Just remember that you can't learn how to fight without fighting.
>>
>>1223890

What if I just get a hit on me that makes me feel a bit "weird" after the session is over? Should I skip the week's next sparring session?
>>
>>1223898
Probably. If it happens a lot, maybe you need a new hobby.

You should also lie down in a dark quiet room for a while (like the rest of the day). Brains need rest after an injury just like any other part of your body.
>>
>>1223754
I wasn't that guy.
You just seem like a cunt from your posts.
>>
If you want actual martial arts and far less threat to the head, do jiu-jitsu. It's grappling, so there's no strikes to the head and except for some chokes, it's not killing many brain cells.
>>
>>1224235
>it's not killing many brain cells.
Getting chocked out and depriving your brain of oxygen causes brain damage.
>>
>>1215515
nope, been boxing for like 3 years, also working in IT, no brain function loss noticed.
>>
>>1224510

Contact boxing or "boxing" for fitness?

>>1224246

B-but Mark Rippetoe said losing consciousness (when you black out or are choked out by a bar e.g. during front squats) is "harmless"!
>>
>>1223675

That's you doing statistics and has nothing to do with the subject. If you worked at AutoDesk you wouldn't get credit for collaborating with me on the next water treatment plant I designed because you're not the engineer.

Ha. Curing cancer as an IT weenie. And the guy at the spark plug factory is competing in NASCAR too.
>>
>>1224870

You're a dipshit who doesn't understand what he's talking about. You create models and then populate them with data (e.g. gene expression data) from patients. It's called in silico modeling. You then run the simulations, and if they look promising you validate in vitro and then in vivo. Kill yourself.
>>
>>1224870
>IT weenie

enjoy pushing bricks with mexicans
>>
>>1220972
Forget these idiots man. You can still do striking but keep sparring to a minimum, spar once every two months to asses your skills.

After all youre not trying to go fucking pro right? Also do grappling. That nigger Neil DeGrease Mike Tyson or whatever is supposed to be a meme scientist and did wrestling.

So join Judo, Bjj, Sambo, Wrestling, etc
>>
>>1224870

P.S. Looks like those hits to the head took their toll or engineers truly are retards compared to scientists because you can't even look up what bioinformatics or computational biology is.
>>
>>1224886

Thanks bro. They have MMA classes so I might try that, involves more grappling. desu I just like punching the bag as a way to relieve stress and aggression. Getting hit just gets my cortisol up.
>>
>>1215515
Hey OP, so I grew up playing contact sports and being involved in martial arts and I was fine up until last year. I was prepping for an amateur boxing match and got KTFO during a relatively light sparring bout. We had headgear, mouthguards, proper gloves, belts, etc. and I still got put down by a pretty average left hook.

It was a pretty big surprise to me, my coach and the people that were there, and we delayed my match for a month. Meanwhile I started getting chronic headaches and having some pretty serious vision issues. As someone who spends a lot of time coding it pretty much ruined my ability to get work done for the next six months. I'm in my mid-twenties now and it was pretty scary to have trouble reading or working for extended periods of time. I saw a neurologist and he basically said with my history of concussions that combat sports probably should always be off the table for me.

Anyways, my case is kind of unusual, and having many previous concussions obviously contributed to it, but I just wanted to let you know that there's always a risk involved, and it is something you should consider. There are a lot of people who participate in recreational contact sports their whole lives and are fine, and then there are some not so lucky people like myself.

If you're getting rocked a lot at the gym and you're not looking to compete, you should take a good hard look at what you want to get out of training, and whether even the remote risk of getting hurt is worth it to you in the long run.
>>
>>1224896

Hey thanks a lot for your story and perspective. What did your neurologist say about recovery?
>>
File: emlady.jpg (12 KB, 252x317) Image search: [Google]
emlady.jpg
12 KB, 252x317
>>1224933
>>
>>1224933
Glad I could help. Basically his advice was to take a break from any physical activity and any behaviors that would aggravate symptoms (which was work).

His outlook on recovery was pretty good, but he said that there was a chance I'd never be 100% on some of the cognitive stuff I'd been having problems with.

I was able to take a break last May and I feel that it actually did help a lot.Over a year later I'm still dealing with some of the symptoms (issues with screen time, reading, memory, headaches), but its not nearly as bad as the first six months and for the most part life is back to normal. Probably won't ever do contact sports again, but that's fine I guess.
>>
>>1224892
>I'm worried about getting punched in the face with 16oz gloves
>So I'd rather someone just kneed me in the face instead
>>
>>1225153
>>So I'd rather someone just kneed me in the face instead
The chances are you'll just a few kicks to the legs, a few knees to the body, maybe a few punches to the head, then get taken down and hugged on the ground into submission.
>>
>>1225153

My gym uses 10oz gloves. Would it make any difference?
>>
>>1225872
No.
For fuck's sake, stop being such a pussy.
>>
>>1225879
>caring about your well-being
>caring for the most important organ in your body
>being a pussy

Yeah just go ahead and squat 400 without any spotters or safeties bro, stop being a pussy.
>>
>>1225884
There reaches a point where you can't wrap yourself with any more bubble wrap.
Life has inherent risks.
>>
>>1225890

There are some things that are calculated risks but the reward is worth it, like riding a bike on the road in order to get somewhere you need to go, and there are other things like smoking that are inherently harmful and not worth it. I expose myself to all kinds of shit and challenges, today I ran and hiked 28 km on a mountain, but I try to mitigate things that might damage me irreversibly and with little reward (in this case learning how to fight I guess). If that's "being a pussy" I don't care.
>>
>>1225899

Also, unlike say doing a max-set of pullups and trying to improve on your maximum, getting hit in the head doesn't help you at all or improve you at all. It's not a test of your own abilities, you're just being dumbed down.
>>
How do I know if I get easily concussed?
I once passed out from getting out of bed too fast
>>
>>1220467
>>1220443

Repetitive sub-concussive damage is as bad or worse as single event traumatic brain injuries in the long term. Sparring with headgear and protective gloves will keep you looking pretty; it's not going to protect your brain.
>>
>>1225899
Do BJJ or judo then. You're not going to suffer brain injuries and you'll still be doing combat training.
>>
>>1224246
I study neuroscience and researched this pretty deeply before I picked up judo, strangulation's fine as long as it's released immediately after unconsciousness and you're not getting choked either to or close to the point of passing out repeatedly
>>
>>1226178
Do you have a single source to back that up?

>Pro tip: if you reduce the impulse then you'll reduce concussions

>>1226183
I saw a girl get knocked out in a judo comp once.
>>
>>1224879

And you do all of that? All the non-sitting-at-a-computer part? You studied genetics and everything but still introduce yourself by saying you're "in IT?"
>>
File: 1460265952224 (1).jpg (135 KB, 1077x800) Image search: [Google]
1460265952224 (1).jpg
135 KB, 1077x800
If you're an Olympic/amateur style (3 rounds) you'll probably be fine. If you go long enough to turn pro, then you can worry about it.
>>
>>1226995
not OP but i do like the shitposting about someone choosing to work in IT

newsflash, if he is above the 18 year old customer support bullshit in IT, he is smarter than you
>>
>>1225872
10 oz. For sparring? That is retarded. 16s for sparring, 12 for amateur fights, 10 for pros.
>>
>>1226995

I know how to do all of it but I don't do the lab monkey stuff anymore. The real hard part is obviously the mathematical and computer science part.
>>
>>1227014
In karate the sparring gloves are 1/2 inch thick.
>>
>>1227366
To be fair, krotty fags (with the exception of kyo) can't hit for shit.
>>
>>1227014
>tfw using 8oz for sparring
Sue me, bitch.
>>
>>1227011

Because he chose a different job?
>>
>does repetitive head trauma give you brain damage?

???
>>
File: 1460772270082.png (12 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
1460772270082.png
12 KB, 246x200
>tfw want to go pro but there's a chance I could end up like >>1224970 and have my dreams crushed

Why is life hard famalam
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.