[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>retired legends get 5x bigger pops than any of the current
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 8
File: foley hbk auston.jpg (45 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
foley hbk auston.jpg
45 KB, 700x394
>retired legends get 5x bigger pops than any of the current top guys

What is wrong with current WWE? Why are all the main guys so dull compared to the 90s superstars?
>>
>Implying your biggest pops won't be for BMJ in 20 years
>>
>>1152257
because all the main guys look like fucking losers because they bring the old guys out to beat them up all the time
>>
This feels so weird.

Kids don't even know who these guys are. Most of them watching today were born in 2003-2004.

Imagine if in the attitude era, Hogan and Savage came in and started humiliating Kurt Angle, or Chris Jericho. Shit is awkward as fuck.
>>
>>1152281
The kids know one thing though - these are the real stars, they turn up at the big events and beat up the regular losers who are on TV.

That's part of the reason why no-one can get over in the current era.
>>
>Young guys look read for a push
>HEY VINCE FOLEY IS HERE HE WANTS TO DO SOMETHING
>HAVE HIM BEAT UP THAR RUSEF FUCK YOUREEE FIRED ACHOO
>Someone young guy doesn't get over
>>
u r give me a nostalg
>>
>>1152272
This.

>>1152281
The kids are constantly told by WWE itself that the Attitude guys were the coolest and the toughest and no one can compare, so they just take their word for it, I guess. The reason that didn't happen in the 90's it's because they had stars that were more over than any legend they could bring out.
>>
>>1152257
why is hbk wearing his pro wrestling pants?
>>
Is it me or did Shawn look in better shape last night than he did for the majority of his 2000s run?

He looked closer to his 90s self in size than when we last saw him wrestle
>>
>>1152298
It's just you
>>
>>1152257
What happened I didn't give enough of a shit to watch mania live
>>
>>1152297
They probably wanted to create the illusion an actual match would take place.
>>
Lack of charisma and cool gimmicks.

The reality era is the worst thing to ever happen to WWE.
>>
>>1152310
I mean back in the day Stone Cold would get on a truck and blast Vince with beer why don't they do ridiculous stuff like this anymore?
>>
Stone Cold should have put on his wrestling panties
>>
>>1152297
>why is hbk wearing his pro wrestling pants?

nigga is making a comeback, he watched Shinsuke vs Zayn match. He wants Nakumura so bad
>>
>>1152294

Plus the legends worked for the competition in the attitude era so they had no choice but to push the new guys to the moon, they brought Bob Backlund back at 43 and made him champion in 93/94 so it's lack of competition breeding complacency. They need to keep all the grey haired has beens off tv, they'll probably still be appearing at wrestlemania 40 with the current formula.
>>
>>1152321
Don't even joke about impossible dream matches.
>>
Holy shit I marked out so hard when I saw HBK in his wrestling attire
>>
This segment made 0 sense and was booked to make Barrett look like trash

Send him out with dignity, Vince

What are the chances he jobs to Stephen Amell again?
>>
>>1152337
it's possible mang, think about as a replacement for Dbry.

Micheals vs Nakamura would be one hell of a rivalry. If Haitch could pull this off then he's truly next CEO of WWE.
>>
Stone Cold got a big belly or was it just me? Was disappointed he didnt come out with the braces and trunks on but it wouldnt have made sense for a 5 min segment.
>>
>>1152390

That's what happens when you're retired and drink beer all the time
>>
More like

>retired legends get 5x bigger payments for a five minute appearance than any of the current top guys
>>
>>1152390
Yeah, but to be fair he is 50 odd now and hasn't wrestled in over a decade. Was quite funny to see HBK come out in his ring gear, and Austin waddle out like he'd just come straight from the buffet. I knew we wasn't getting a proper match as soon as I saw Austin in those shit white trainers he was wearing.
>>
>>1152414

HBK is the same age and he looked great. He actually looked better last night than when he retired 6 years ago.
>>
>>1152257
Well it's hard to see any wrestler getting to Austins level of overness again.
>>
Another problem i have is fucking Michael Cole and JBL. They suck so hard. JR and Heel Lawler were perfect and could make even a shitty match entertaining with their commentary.
>>
they need to go back to the retirement home.
>>
Because wrestling is no longer cool so guys with talent choose another career. Wouldn't surprise me if Stone Cold had chosen something else had he been born 20 years later, ya dig?
>>
>>1152257
wrestlers in the 90s werent straight edge vidya playing SJW's
>>
>>1152460
>almost every middle aged legend says they'd have gone into MMA instead of pro wrestling
Must suck knowing all your accomplishments were achieved in a fake sport, especially if you were never a big star
>>
>>1152257
Because writers suck nowadays.
>>
>>1152466
Amen. Last night was the biggest collection of shitty numale beards since the Berni Sanders "welcome the refugees rally" in San Francisco.

>>1152349
Dude, we all did. Guy shows up every once in a while, SCM's a dude while he's in his street clothes, and rolls out. Then all of a sudden, THE FUCKING CHAPS.
>>
>>1152281
i never watched wwf since third world, I only knew these guys from playing the ps2 wrestling games

by the time i could watch raw, it was during the edge/lita shitfest days
>>
>>1152272
This is 100% the biggest problem with the current WWE
>>
>>1152438
>I hate JBL
JBL is hilarious. If you don't like JBL then you take wrestling too seriously.
>>
WAIT
I just watched after stopping a few years ago

why is there no blood anymore? Why would they stop that shit

Wouldn't it be a reminder for kids, they will think they are invincible since there is no blood (i.e. damage)
>>
>>1152257

People we don't see every week make a surprise return and get a big reaction.

This is nothing fucking new.
>>
File: 1322438000962.gif (759 KB, 285x171) Image search: [Google]
1322438000962.gif
759 KB, 285x171
>>1152281
>Imagine if in the attitude era, Hogan and Savage came in and started humiliating Kurt Angle, or Chris Jericho.

What, basically imagine the Invasion angle done properly? Okay.
>>
>have the old guard constantly showing up to put down anyone young
>the few young people that are massively over get shit on by WWE themselves and are lucky to fight for midcard belts
>the only person they are actually pushing, they're doing so obnoxiously hard despite the fact that nobody really likes him to the point where he was booed out of the building by almost a hundred thousand people in the main event of wrestlemania TWICE

>WHY AREN'T THEY GETTING OVER?
>>
>>1152471
Fuck off Cuck Man Punk
>>
>>1152257

because in that era so many guys were over, and they got over organically. today, vince will only push one guy at the expsense of the entire roster.

the problem is scripted promos and booking. scripted promos handcuff the talent from letting their personality and character come through. the creative staff doesn't take the time to think about how the actions of one guy affect the rest of the show and think we have a one week long attention span. until they fire the entire creative team and hire one or two people at the max who know Wrestling, this product is going to be shit.
>>
>>1152257
Before 2001, wreslters actually had to work to keep their position in the company because there were a ton of promotions open with guys that could replace you before the next Superstars/RAW/Nitro etc.
>>
Is it the new tradition to bring out Austin and other legends at WM for a cheap pop now?
>>
John Cena got a bigger pop than stone cold
>>
>>1152710
Kek this
>>
>>1152818

since literally no one on the current roster gets any pop at all, probably yes.
>>
>>1152328
Plus, if you reach for that brass ring like Vince allegedly wants, if you actually grab it you get Zacked.
>>
>>1152827
That's not true
>>
>>1152257
>old legends that only show up afew times a year get bigger pops than guys that are around all time
you dont say?
>>
>>1152438
Yes Cole sucks but come on, JBL is the fucking man.
>>
File: 1407409882125106418.gif (2 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1407409882125106418.gif
2 MB, 256x192
>mfw hearing JBL try to scream STONE COLD STONE COLD STONE COLD like JR
>>
>>1152961
You mean Cesaro has a change of going over at Wretlemania by WM41? I'll take it
>>
>>1152827
lol
>>
>>1152257
Well yeah. Gimmicks were better back then. Guys were also allowed to run with their character. Too much hand holding in the wwe these days.
>>
>>1152281

>if Hogan and savage came in and started beating up younger guys

Someone was clearly too young to watch wcw.
>>
>All these people complaining about le old guys are probably underage who dont know that this has always happened
>People were unironically complaining about Shaq showing up last night
>Muh mandrama is serious business all the time
>Rusev was probably internally marking out hard for getting stunned by Austin
>Probably dont know that Mike Tyson interfered in a WM main event
>Blames these current group of wrestlers lack of charisma on top guys who got over by themselves in a time where competition was stiff
>Underage smarks who think they know the business.
>>
The WWE just needs another WCW to kick its ass and get back in shape, or die trying.
>>
>>1153102
Did you get teeth removed to fit more of Vince's cock in your mouth?
>>
>>1153042
Those guys got those same pops when they were around all the time
>>
>>1153118

Nothing to say underage smarky? Why so obsessed with gay colloquialisms?
>>
>>1153122
yup the pop last night for Stone cold would not make his top 50 and it was the biggest of WM
>>
>>1153142
Why so obsessed with age coloquiallism? Y'all people are just memeing at each other all day long.
>>
>>1152281
Who is brett hart?
>>
>>1152257
>What is wrong with current WWE? Why are all the main guys so dull compared to the 90s superstars?
This is what happens when you create a roster full of jobbers.

No one wants to root for losers.

It's not the talent's fault though. It's the idiots in the back who created this mess.
>>
>>1153158

What are you even talking about you chump? You literally had nothing of value to say to my post which didn't even mention Vince anywhere.

You're pissed off about "old timers" showing up probably cause you weren't watching when they were active. I know I'd be upset too if everyone around me was having fun while I was there confused.
>>
>>1152257
it's just nostalgia
>>
>>1152310
I don't understand this reality era thing
>they're no longer divas
>now instead for the first time ever because we've never had a women's championship
>they'll be...
>i bet she'll say female wrestlers
>reality stars!
>>
>>1153209
>because we've never had a women's championship
A WWE one.

Also, watched Reigns and Charlotte on Today and she says they're also just referred to as "Superstars."
>>
I was way more annoyed with The Rock and his 20 minutes of bullshit.

Also, Stone Cold should have gotten in shape for this. Seeing him in a t-shirt, jeans and tennis shoes was embarrassing.
>>
>>1153245
I was really hyped to see if he'd also come out in-ring attire since when HBK came out with his and Mick Foley can wrestle in pajamas (Although we all know if this actually became a match, they'd all be on full warning to not touch Foley).

Kinda wish he would be a special guest in the Battle Royale or Royal Rumble.
>>
>>1153245

>Also, Stone Cold should have gotten in shape for this

Round is a shape.
>>
>>1153271
Well considering the fact that he just runs a farm and probably eats steaks all day I'm not surprised he got a little bit more chubby than usual.

Besides he can still do a stunner and that's all he does when he comes back anyway, so don't care
>>
>>1153262
I'm legit suprised that HBK appears to be in ring shape still.
I wish he could work another match.
>>
>>1153284
>Besides he can still do a stunner and that's all he does when he comes back anyway
He could barely pull those stunners off last night.
>>
File: 1401762977724.png (658 KB, 698x527) Image search: [Google]
1401762977724.png
658 KB, 698x527
>>1153287
Well they were pestering him to do another match. Maybe we'll get some smarks wet dream of HBK vs. Nakamura even though there's a better chance of RAWs becoming watchable again.
>>
>>1153299
I don't think he'll wrestle again.
Shawn ended his career on the perfect note - I don't think any other retirement can compare really
>>
>>1152676
They don't have a problem with bloodshed, but they stopped knifing their foreheads to force it to happen. So it just doesn't happen as often unless someone actually gets cut by random chance.
>>
>>1153314
>I don't think any other retirement can compare really

Stone Cold
>>
>>1153318
>they stopped knifing their foreheads

Brock literally bladed last year
>>
>>1153319
Yeah that's a valid point.
Austin went out on a really high note, but I still don't think his match with Rock can compare to HBK's work with Taker.
Flair had a decent retirement if not for the fact he went straight to TNA
>>
>>1153324
Hey if the Beast wants to cut himself, I'm not gonna stop him.
>>
>>1152426
>>1152414

Does Shawn even work out? Or is he just constantly hiking and doing outdoorsy shit that he stays in such great shape.
>>
>>1152257
>1152257
best for bussiness
>>
>>1153326
> i-i love you
Cringe
>>
>>1153318
Watch NXT Takeover Dallas, they practically ruined the main event by having a medical team throw towels at Joe every 2 minutes
>>1153333
I don't think he can work out as such because of his back, but he looks to be in shape
>>
>>1153336
Fair enough, but I don't think many other people had enough star power, and still have the ability to carry Flair through a match at that point. You had Taker but he was actually carrying titles still, and Cena would probably have eternal heat for retiring Flair.
>>
>>1152257
>Why are all the main guys so dull compared to the 90s superstars?

Fluoride and oestrogen in the water supply has meant the average American testicle is up to 73% less massive than it was just 17 years ago.

Today's wrestlers just don't have the gonads required to be tough guys.
>>
>>1152272
>tfw 2016 wwe is starting to look like 2008 tna
>>
File: Texas Rattlesnake.webm (3 MB, 896x526) Image search: [Google]
Texas Rattlesnake.webm
3 MB, 896x526
You've got to mark for Austin desu
>>
>>1153102
i agree that people read way too hard into segments like this. the sole purpose of the hbk/austin/foley/rock segments was to get a cheap pop out of the crowd, and it worked. they're just supposed to be a fun treat, not a serious wrestling segment. people shit on the league of nations and the wyatts all the time, but throw an asperger tantrum when the rock makes fun of them?
>>
>>1152827
John how is your recovery going? Sex with the bella still good? Cool to see you here
>>
>>1152257
In part because of segments like this.

They've refused to book anyone but Cena and now Roman as being top level stars for over a decade now.

Also those are three of the ALL TIME greats.
>>
>>1152281
So you didn't watch WCW then?
>>
>>1152257
Fat Steve Austin made me sad.
>>
>>1152827
18+
>>
>>1153785
I'm really glad he stunned him otherwise my image of austin might have been ruined
>>
>>1153299
>X-pac in blackface
>things that would never happen today.
>>
>>1154833
Nothing funny or good will ever happen again, WWE is fucking garbage now
>>
>>1152257
The writing is dull due to WWE being PG. The 90's superstars are bad asses who would beat each other bloody, crush beers, curse and use any weapons at their disposal.
>>
>>1155315

Took to long for a "this" answer tbqh.
>>
File: 1459103609386.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459103609386.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
Why the fuck are Triple H and Shawn Michaels consistently the only two guys who can remain in such good shape despite how fucking old they are? It's absolutely insane, and kinda creepy.

Seriously what kind of training shit do these fucking guys even do?
>>
>>1155355
>what kind of training shit do these fucking guys even do?

Top shelf roids
>>
>>1155355
I have no idea, but Triple H looked in incredible shape last night. I can't help but think there's no way hes back for "just one match" (Yes i know he wrestled on prior shows too)
>>
>>1155357
Have you seen what Roids does to your body by the time you hit 40? Nah, I don't think these guys are on Roids. Triple H maybe, but definitely not Michaels.
>>
>>1155378

Michaels has got a quality skinny fatass body, the fat spreads evenly and not just on his belly leaving a flat chest, so he only has to stay in shape, train a very little bit and that's it.
>>
>>1155355
>>1155371
HHH has always been a bodybuilder first and foremost, also it is way, way easier to keep that shape up when you are not wrestling several nights a week all year long, plus he doesn't have to worry about the wellness policy.

It pisses me off actually, there is no way for main roster guys to get in shape like that without risking getting caught juicing and getting a suspension.
>>
>>1155378

HHH trains a lot and is on gear. Austin and Foley have life long injuries.
>>
>>1155452
Hunter still gets tested. Stop trusting Bryan Alvarez
>>
>>1155495

Yeah, like when Steiner asked him to and was let off the hook for roiding since they would never test Hunner.
>>
>>1153102
Man, how hard do you think Xavier marked out when he got stunner'd
>>
>>1155378
trips was gassed 10 min. into the match. he's roiding.
>>
>>1155452
Whilst this is all true, I still think its impressive as fuck, at his age. He didn't need to. He's the fucking boss. He was pretty flabby at WM last year iirc
>>
>>1152257
You know, in other news, does anyone have an HQ shot of this pic? I need a new wallpaper and three retirees saying "herd u talkin shit like i wouldnt find out" and this seems to fit the bill.
>>
>Tfw HBK still looks like he's in good in-ring shape

ONE MORE MATCH ONE MORE MATCH
>>
>>1155562
He looks better than he did when he was at the end of his career. He had actual definition in his abs and his chest again. Dude was looking like he could come out of retirement for another couple years as a part timer. Probably wont, but seeing him in ring gear again made my heart skip a beat.
>>
>>1152298
Huge HBK mark here. I thought the same thing. He looks much better than recent pictures (where he had a gut) and last year's wrestlemania.

I dont necessarily think he is making a comeback or anything but he is definitely getting into better shape.

My wife pretty much said the same thing - he looked the best of them by far. Though she secretly thinks Austin is hot and refuses to acknowledge his gut because of that Broken Skull Ranch show.
>>
>>1155606
He matches up well with Nakamura.
>>
This is what happens when you bury talent as soon as they get over. Or when you wheel out 50 year olds and bury your talent at every mania. Or when you cut off their momentum because they're getting too over. Or when you book everyone like dog shit unless your name is Cena, Reigns or HHH.
>>
Has it really been 6 years since Shawn retired?

Christ, i gotta sort my life out. The years are just flying by.
>>
>>1153785
Best WM moment
>>
>>1155637
Don't you fucking do this to me anon.
>>
>>1155637
> HBK working against The King of Strong Style

He couldn't even handle Vader almost 2 decades ago, he'd fucking break down against Shinsuke
>>
>>1152438
Fuck you, JBL is GOAT

Nobody can troll rednecks and Mexicans simultaneously like he can.
>>
dude muh rub lmao
>>
>nostalgia culture
>>
>>1153785
>Woods barely bends down while taking the stunner

Rusev fucked that part up, too
>>
>>1155662
>Or when you wheel out 50 year olds and bury your talent at every mania.

Stop misusing the word bury you underage twink. You don't even know what it means.
>>
>>1152272
>implying thats not mostly the fault of shit booking

retard
>>
>>1155662
League of Nations was a non over stable yhat nobody wanted to see anyways. What happened to the Wyatts made if laugh out loud. That was a pure bulldozer over them. What is left to salvage?

>get beat by beeg kane and ryback last ppv
>get made a fool of by the rock and Cena

Its fucking hilarious at this point

>>1167129
>b-but they were in a segment with LEGENDS! THEY WERENT BURIED.

Spare me. Go buy a bag of Takis and a Snickers and wash it down with some Kickstart you fucking shill WWE apologist
>>
>>1167468
>implying shit booking isn't a HUGE fucking problem
>>
Remember that time Jericho was like "Fuck legends I'm gonna beat them all up"

And then he did?
>>
>WWE hypes that Attitude Era guys are the greatest and no one comes close
>surprised that the built up AE legends outshine the cookiecutter, characterless guys they have now
>>
>>1167481
Orton did that too, then jobbed to Ric Flair a bunch.
>>
>>1167480
Yeah. It is. I have a theory that creative are literally just braindead autists.

Vince Russo would book better shit at this point
>>
>>1167488
That, or they've been told not to take risks with writing.
>>
>>1154690

Nah, WCW was for losers.

DDP was a cool bro.
Goldberg was well executed.
And I'd like to believe that Vince hired Hall and Nash to actually infiltrate WCW irl and take it down.
>>
>>1167487
>then jobbed to Ric Flair a bunch.
Rick "I had my internal organs removed by a hook through my nose because I'm a god damn Mummy" Flair? Like how often? Was he being super sleazy because that's the only way I could see it going down.
>>
>>1167498
I think he lost four or so ppv's in a row to him, most clean. I really didn't count or pay too much attention because it seemed kind of stale. Think it was shortly after they broke up the evolution stable
>>
>>1167468
Wow anon, you're right. It is shit booking to have old guys come out and beat the guys you have performing all year round.

Just like I said.
>>
>>1153102

You can tell Ruru was hype by how he sold the stunner, I love a good stunner sell.
>>
>>1167122

They were probably told not to put any weight on Austins shoulders at all on account of it potentially killing him ...
>>
>>1155511
Woods should have a gimmick where he just tried to take as many legends finishers as possible
>>
File: Vince-Russo.png (208 KB, 424x318) Image search: [Google]
Vince-Russo.png
208 KB, 424x318
Because they don't have this man anymore to help build new talent
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.