[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /asp/ what martial art is the best, and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: martial art.jpg (30 KB, 630x544) Image search: [Google]
martial art.jpg
30 KB, 630x544
hello /asp/

what martial art is the best, and why?
>>
>>1108951

The best martial art for what?

If you are fighting in the jungle with machetes you want to do something differnt than if you are preparing for the UFC.

If you have 5 weeks to show civilists the basics of fighting you would theach them different stuff then if you teach an olympic contender.

If you teach soldiers, bodyguards, doormen.. they all have differnt "rules" under which they apply their martial art. A soldier will have no use for "how to grab a guy with two people fro two sides, so he can't move and you can carry him out". A doorman probably won't use to chops/punches to the throat or neck cranks.

So there's no real answer. But the best "martial art" is an aknowledged standup style in combinations with a grappling style. But no standup style is "invincible" and no grappling style is "invincible". That's why cross training is so important.
>>
>>1108951

Islam
>>
>>1109002
/thread
>>
>>1109002
well, just a normal guy, who might get in a fight when partying in the city.

so basically the opponents won't have very much knowledge in fighting.

the best martial art, that makes me win against any non-skilled opponent

i also have a friend that i might fight one day, and he is bigger than me with bigger muscles, and went to boxing practice for like a year.

so i'd also like to win against a guy like him, and i would like to learn how to throw a really good kick to the face
>>
>>1108951

A threepiece of modern Muay Thai(MT+Kickboxing+Boxing)/Sanda/Combat Sambo + Judo/Wrestling/BJJ + FMA
>>
File: 1407055000975.jpg (119 KB, 1300x1000) Image search: [Google]
1407055000975.jpg
119 KB, 1300x1000
>>1109041

Quite a lot of differnt thing..

>so basically the opponents won't have very much knowledge in fighting

On the street 90 % attack with a (bad timed) haymaker, so boxing.

>the best martial art, that makes me win against any non-skilled opponent

Probably Judo or Wrestling.

>bigger than me with bigger muscles, and went to boxing practice for like a year

Wrestling or if he's that much bigger, BJJ.

>i'd also like to win against a guy like him, and i would like to learn how to throw a really good kick to the face

Muay Thai then.

Honestly, I already gave you the answer. Pick either a standup good standup fighting style (Boxing, Muay Thai, Kickboxing and so on) or a good grapplign style (Wrestling, Judo, BJJ). And after a year you add the missing part (either grappling or standup fighting).

But the most important part is that you have fun with your martial art, because you don't get from zero to hero in 4 weeks. It takes time and dedication, and if you don't like what you are doing, forget it.
You need a martial art that suits YOU. For example boxing is good, but yould you punch some guy in the face until he blacks out? If you you might rather train BJJ. But maybe you freak out because of the body contact in grapplign? Than maybe rather Mauy Thai..
You see, just visit different places and look for yourself what YOUR fighting style shoudl be like..

But to break it down:
Boxing will show the fastest results and is never a bad idea, because it's basics are very simple, you'll get a hell of condition and not getting a fist in the face is good.

Muay Thai has also kicks, ellbows, clinching and so on, it's a very good martial art but takes longer to get good at.

Wrestling if you are rather small and have a lot of muscles. Overpowering the other guy, throwing him and pinning him to the ground.

BJJ if you are rather a lanklet or older. It's slower, more strategic nad mroe defensive, but very powerful grappling style.

Judo is somewhere in between.
>>
>>1109147

Is modern Muay Thai and Judo a good combo?will probably pick up FMA next year and i also lift and do yoga
>>
>>1109160

Whoa whoa, take it slow..
Yes, Judo and Muay Thai would be a vyer strong combination, but please don't start both at the same time, it will just mess with your head (and body).

Anyway, you already lift and do Yoga? That's a great asset in terms of strength and flexibility.

Then I'd suggest a grappling style, because you need both, "raw power" and flexibility for it..

There's a lof of overlap between different grappling martial arts, but maybe you already get a pro/con feeling if watch these?

Wrestling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihWL592wQ5I

Judo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWW2pr04JUY

BJJ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_kqu9I_rgc

Filipino Martial Art is not bad, but my piece of advice is to do it after you learned grappling / striking..
>>
Martial Art is the art of killing. To kill is best to use weapons. If you cant get a weapon then learn how to run. Empty hand fighting is for sport and movies and fairy tales
>>
>>1109147
one thing i left out is that i have already boxed for 3 months, and have lifted for like 2 months
>>
>>1109213

been doing modern Muay Thai/Kickboxing(however you wanna call it)for 2 years now, and supplementing it with lifting and yoga.Want to pick up either Wrestling or Judo(Takedowns are more appealing than submissions) and i m drawn to the belt system in judo a bit more than wrestling.Plan was to pick up FMA a year after doing Judo/Wrestling.Can you tell me more about the differences in judo and wrestling?
>>
>>1108951
the art of fighting without fighting
>>
>>1109147
just found out the options in my town are karate, taekwondo, boxing and krav maga, so im thinking krav maga since i've already been boxing
>>
So you are two different guys?

>>1109239

I'm a Judoka and have done FMA for 4 years, so I can't say it's a bad combination.. hehehe.

Right now I don't train in FMA, but I'll plan on training it in the future..
Oh well, FMA is something of a mixed back, and defiantely a string martial art. But it's also a nasty martial art. A martial art made for killing. I enjoy Judo much more because it's effective AND nice.

I haven't done wrestling though, so take it with a grain of salt.. but a lot of throws are similar. Biggest differnce is, Judo works a lot with the Gi (or clothes, of course). You do a lot of stuff like pulling and lifting someone. You also do a lot of leg trips, and stuff like choking, armbars and so on..
Wrestling is No-Gi, it's more about getting control of the other guys Hip, lifting uo, pinning him down. Getting on top. It's very direct and applieable, but maybe not as versatile as Judo?
>>
>>1109283

Krav Maga is something like a mixture of FMA, boxing and other stuff.

If you want to, take Krav, but I'D rather stay with boxing and add some kicking style (Karate or TKD)..
>>
>>1109147
>On the street 90 % attack with a (bad timed) haymaker, so boxing.
Naw,, Kickboxing.
In Kickboxing, you learn how to defend against punches, you learn how to stay in punching range, and you learn how to stay in Kicking range.
No use in risking getting yourself punched when you can deliver leg kicks all day, er day.
It's also said all the time by UFC commentators.
>Blue guy likes to Box, so Red guy would really benefit in standup by throwing a lot of kicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQlcKlE15bg

>untrained vs kickboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiyphq39ghM

>professional boxer vs kickboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
>>
you "fighter" would stand no chance against a pipebomb.
Why even go to the gym?
>>
>>1109147
>>1109352

Even see this. It's American Kickboxing vs Muay Thai.

American Kickboxing is a lot like Boxing + kicks. American Kickboxers know their Boxing.

Boxing already has a hard time dealing with the extra element of Kicking. American Kickboxing had a hard time dealing with the extra element of Kickboxing that allows leg kicks.

Just imagine your average untrained street thugs having to deal with Traditional Muay Thai, leg alone Modern Muay Thai.
>>
>>1109352

Nice ring fights. But on the streets kicking is another story.

Also: that dank video at the end..
One of the best living kickboxers against some mediocre boxer..
>into the trash it goes

If you take your time and sear for "street fight" compilations, boxing is what counts.

Here is a Thaiboxer. What does he do? Knees, ellbows? Lowkicks? No, plain old boxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHrSpm0SSGA

Here you see a real "boxer vs. muay thai" fight. The thai guy wins in the end, but it's a close call and not like the boxer didn't have any chances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZQD7OvpBj0

A boxer putting a kickboxer under severy pressure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPWy-6jV9Q

Last but not least: agaisnt multiple opponent, Boxing is prime because it's speed and mobility:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EB-VQhkrTs

So is boxing "better" or "worse" than kickboxing? NO! Every serisou martial art can be "the best". If he mangages to close the distance, a boxer can KO kickboxer with one hit. And of course a kickboxer can (literally) kick a boxers ass.

So a little bit more mutual respect would be beneficial!

>>1109379

Ever thrown a pipebomb from clinching distance?
>>
>>1108951
For hand to hand Brazilian Jiu Jitsu focused on Vale Tudo fighting and not sport. Would think Team Sylvio Behring USA would be the best style. Example most places are sport and can't do knee bars until brown belt which takes 3/4 of a decade to get to were Behring style BJJ you have to learn how to take someone down to a knee bar as a white belt, you have to know it to be a blue belt. Look up there belt test on youtube, they teach you how to submit people instantly.
>>
>>1109543

They don't teach it because whitebelts are usually overly competitive (in every martial art) and higher belts don't want a torn acl. Just like nobody teaches eye gouges, even though they would probably work sometimes.

Anyway, why not getting the "basics" first? There's so much to learn, why do we need even more locks? A guy with solid ground game can eventually inculde other stuff and get gud. A guy that would do footlocks from day 1 would tap out a lot of beginners, but in the end he wouldn't devellop and after some years he would still be shit.
>>
>>1109471
>Even see this. It's American Kickboxing vs Muay Thai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpl_7w8-jTE

>>1109503
Boxing is nice for ring fights, sure. But on the streets, Punching is another story.

You don't have had wraps, you don't have bag gloves, you don't have sparring gloves, you don't have competition gloves, and you don't have all that nice fluffy competition gauze over your knuckles.

>if you take your time to search for "street fight" compelations, boxing is what counts
It really doesn't count at all. The only reason there are so many videos of Boxing in street fights is because of how popular it is.
It's like going into the middle of Cambodia, and then thinking "There's a lot of Cambodian people, Cambodian people must have lots and lots of reproductive sex."

>all the videos
Cherry picking based on a flawed logical argument.
>>
>>1109503
>Ever thrown a pipebomb from clinching distance?
Pipebombs come in all shapes and sizes.
From clinching distance, it's best to instead of throw it, place it. And instead of your typical large pipebomb, you use a smaller pipebomb.
Nothing beats a well placed pipebomb.
>>
>>1109301
>A martial art made for killing.
Escrima: Where every counter either knocks you out, breaks one of your joints or destroys your eyes.
Standard tactic at large distance? Aim for the hand.
Standard tactic at short distance? Smash their temple, then get an opportunity to grab their arm.
Most basic grapple attack? Breaks the elbow.
Only type of kicks? Breaks the knee or smashes enemy's balls.

I love how hilariously crippling most techniques are. That's why the art focuses on teaching defense and reaction speed first.
And knives are even worse.

But should you really call judo nice? In a street fight, most throws will fuck your opponent up.
Smash onto concrete and have no falling technique and enjoy your broken bones.
>>
>>1114837
Your hands aren't made of glass. people overexagerate how easy it is to break your hands punching someone without gloves. Yeah there is a chance it could happen but most likely you won't.
>>
>>1115210
It's also not like you can't condition your hands and spar bareknuckle
>>
>>1115210
>Yeah there is a chance it could happen but most likely you won't.
[citation needed]
>>
>>1115292
>It's also not like you can't condition your hands and spar bareknuckle
Except people these days are using heavy bag gloves, and won't spar with anyone with less than 16oz gloves.
>>
>>1108951

stsandup with hands ( boxing, MT, kickboxing, etc) + grapping ( wrestling, bjj, sambo, judo, etc)

stay away from fagrate and fag kwon do
>>
>>1109379
if serious:

because you on the beach you can knock out some guy and just walk away if the dude doesn't have anyone with him

your solution gets you profiled and arrested at best, and at worst, shot by the police
>>
>>1109471

this is wrong

American kickboxing gets its kicks from karate, so its not just "boxing+kicks"

also kickboxers almost always have noticeably shittier hands than traditional boxers
>>
>>1114837

>Boxing is nice for ring fights, sure. But on the streets, Punching is another story.

You see, I have some friends with Muay Thai experience who often got into street fights. It's ALWAYS about punching. Of course it's not bad to surprise the other guy with a powerful lowkick. Untrained people often collaps from one good lowkick. But untrained people also collaps from a good punch to the belly.

More important: wether you are a kicker or puncher, people will almost always attack you with a punch. In the few street fights I've been in it's always either "pushing arround" with some "retard grappling" afterwards (this are nice fights) or someone punching in your face out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, Muay Thai is an amazing art, but that chances that you meet someone who attacks you with a highkick are very small.

On the other hand, when you kick you sacrifice mobility (you can't kick and move at the same time) and also are prone to getting sweeped/tackled. Losing your balance in a street fight can be very bad. People can throw things at you or attack you from differnt sides, so mobility is crucial.

>you don't have all that nice fluffy competition gauze over your knuckles

No problem. You just don't punch with 100% or you punch to "softer" targets. It's just a little adaption, not a changig factor. Look up "boxer street fight" on YouTube, there's literally hundreds of videos of people punching the other guy goodnight.

And even if you pull a Mike Tyson and break your hand by going 200% power, you can bet that the other guy's jaw looks even worse..

>Cherry picking based on a flawed logical argument.

It's nto cherry picking. It's also my experience.

People often think street fights go down like ringfights: "every body in his corner, take a fightig stance.. aaand GO!"

But in reality you often start from close distance (that "evil eye baboon stare contest") where punching is already much more effective than kicking just as a matter of range.
>>
>>1114913

Yes, this is a good depiction..

In FMA you always assume the other guy is armed, so you try to be as devastating as possible, because if you don't end it quick you might not get a second chance..

When you advance you also learn to be nicer, but in it's core it's a brutal martial art. But that also means you don't have that much options or that much in depth knowledge of stuff like grappling or kicking. Take a bunch of high percentage techniques and pray that it works..

>But should you really call judo nice? In a street fight, most throws will fuck your opponent up.

You can kill with every martial art. In FMA it's more obvious because of the weapons, but of course Judo can be just as deadly.

But Judo also gives you a bunch of tools to be "nice". I experienced this first hand:
someone was freaking out (let's ignore the cicumstances for now), and I instictively brought him down with an Osoto Gari and landed on top of him, talked to the guy to calm the fuck down and it worked.
But if this had escalated I still had a lot of pins in thsi situation. And if he kept on freaking out I still had my locks. And if this "pain compliance" would have made him more angry I could still use chokes..

You see what I mean? You can nicely "adjust" the level of violence you want to use. And it's the same for throws: Judo gives you nice throws when the other guy just lands on his ass. Then there are "middle scale" throws which are more forcefull but where you still wouldn't hurt the other guy. And then there are throws to fuck up the other guy.

Fighting isn't always "total war" or "struggle for survival". Moreoften you meet some dude and you are arguing about nonsense and than somehow it gets physical. Now if you fight "nice", both of you can save face and stay respectfully afterwards. If you decide to destroy him things might backfire in the end in various ways..

FMA in it's core is hitting people with sticks, knifes or even machetes. Difficult to stay "nice" then.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.