[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into MMA? There's a couple good gyms near
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 2vccd2d.gif (2 MB, 250x191) Image search: [Google]
2vccd2d.gif
2 MB, 250x191
How do I get into MMA?

There's a couple good gyms near me. I think one of 'em is a Gracie gym and the other's fucking Kings MMA so there's not exactly a shortage of resources.

I guess my question is should I get in better shape first (I'm 5'11 180, but a little chubby, so my "natural weight" would probably be 160/170) so they have something to work with or should I just sign up somewhere and hopefully get in shape over the course of training?
>>
>>1104379
see >>66398971
>>
>>1104379
You will get in shape over the course of training so don't worry about that. As for picking a gym, I'll let other anons help you with that.
>>
>>1104379
Both, start training but don't set any fitness goals like "I need to be able to run x amount of miles before I join"

Do as much cardio work as you can right now and sign up. And focus on cardio for now, strength will come naturally but you need all the cardio you can get
>>
do poorly in everything but sports in high school, be both verbally and physically abusive to any woman you're in a relationship with, and get as many tattoos as possible (sleeves are recommended)
>>
>>1104453
/thread
>>
>Buy clothing from Monster Energy drink
>Brag to little kids about how UFC is real unlike WWE
>wear caps backwards
>be gay
>>
File: karate .jpg (920 KB, 1920x2300) Image search: [Google]
karate .jpg
920 KB, 1920x2300
Develop a base in Karate first, and then transition into MMA.
Maybe throw in a little Taekwondo and Aikido, as well.
>>
File: 1442205115105.jpg (463 KB, 3000x1986) Image search: [Google]
1442205115105.jpg
463 KB, 3000x1986
>>1104379
I would suggest that you focus your training in no gi grappling, with plenty of stand-up wrestling.

All the while spend a small amount of time on striking. I would avoid intense striking class, and focus more on learning fundamentals and light sparring. That way you save your energy for grappling, while making consistent improvements in striking.

Grappling has the largest skill curve and takes the longest to learn. There is no reason to not do any striking. You just don't want to spend too much energy on it until you have a solid foundation in grappling. At that point you would have all your fundamentals in striking down as well.

Some schools offer MMA classes as well. If you can do that, you should. It is important to know how to fight off a cage, mix striking with takedowns, and ground and pound.
>>
>>1106895
>>
>>1104379
Walk your ass through the door op. It is that simple. Don't wait to get into shape. You'll start doing it and 1. Want to get into better shape 2. Get into better shape.
>walk through the door get on the floor everyone do the dinosaur
>>
Dude, I know a skinny fucking cuck who does MMA every week to try and "man up", if he can go so can you
>>
>>1106988
Is it working for him?
>>
>>1106999
I bet it is.

That's why he calls him "skinny fucking cuck".
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.