[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /asp/'s opinion on mushin, or other martial
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 11183400715_606b4776a1_b.jpg (172 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
11183400715_606b4776a1_b.jpg
172 KB, 1024x683
What's /asp/'s opinion on mushin, or other martial concepts? Are any of them applicable or relevant?
>>
>>1100909
Yeah, probably. Not necessarily exactly ,but sure. Of course anything is applicable to anything if you're vague enough. A lot of old shit is basically primitive understandings of biomechanics with some mysticism throw in for the fun. I mean, shit like tai chi is basically ancient Chinese sport medicine.
>>
>>1100909

Most of them are things you achieve as spinoffs from the hard work and struggle of training. You won't accomplish shit listening to your pasty weeaboo sensei prattle about them or reading the Book of Five Rings ten times in a row.

Kind of how "kung fu" just means expertise or hard work or whatever and you could have brilliant kung fu at cooking, I think you can experience mushin on the baseball field or driving around a track.
>>
>>1100909
Of course there important, at least in those arts that include them. At one point many of the older traditions not only had "concepts" but specific methods to achieve them. I still know of arts that include high level Shinto and Buddhist meditation techniques at their highest levels, adapted to serve a specific purpose in training, like a desirable mindset.

That these methods were often kept at the upper levels of the arts and not taught to outsiders or beginners shows they were not for dilettantes but for seniors practitioners,the ones who would lead the next generation of the style.
>>
>>1100909
muh shin
>>
I remember reading a book that had many many people talk about the subject.

Basically the consensus was the secret to being a great martial artist is to train so hard that techniques can be used flawlessly without thought.

So rather then thinking of what technique needs to be done and how to take advantage of a opening, one just sees a opening and takes it instantly without having to think about the "details".

It is of coarse also comparable to being in the zone as it is known in other sports.

But over all it is just the point where you skip the thinking parts strait to the doing parts especially during stress.
>>
>>1100909

http://benotdefeatedbytherain.blogspot.com/2010/10/yamaoka-tesshu.html

When he was twenty-eight, Tesshu was defeated by a swordsman named Asari Gimei 浅利義明 of the Ittō-ryū school and became his student, eventually becoming the thirteenth successor of the Nakanishi Ittō-ryū. Although larger and younger, Tesshu could not match his teacher’s mental state. During training sessions, Asari was known to force Tesshu all the way to the back of the dojo, then out into the street, knock him to the ground, and then slam the dojo door in his face. Confronted with this challenge, Tesshu increased his efforts in training and meditation continuously. Even when he was eating or sleeping, Tesshu was constantly thinking about fencing. He would sometimes wake up at night, jump out of bed, and get his wife to hold a sword so he could explore a new insight. Then, one morning in 1880, when he was 45 years old, Tesshu attained enlightenment while sitting in zazen. Later that morning he went to the dojo to practice Kendo with Asari. Upon seeing Tesshu, Asari recognized at once that Tesshu had reached enlightenment. Asari, declined to fence with Tesshu, acknowledging Tesshu’s attainment by saying, “You have arrived.” Shortly after this, Tesshu went on to establish the Mutō-ryū (School of the Sword of No-Sword).
>>
>>1100909

It's just their concept of high level concentration/awareness. You see it in Olympic athletes of pretty much any sport
>>
>>1100909
I do/did fencing both olympic and historic for decades. In all those years I experienced two time lapse episodes during fights. It was like matrix, I had all the time in the world to act and react, I noticed every detail of myself, my opponent and my surroundings and I managed to bring in a complex technique with every detail right. It felt like a minute or so when I did that, but the video showed it was 3 mere seconds.

It was of the strongest mental experiences I ever had, for the first time ever I felt to be in perfect harmony with myself, and was able to release my full potential. No idea how I did end up in that state, I tried a lot to get into it again, but so far I did no succeed. I even took up Buddhist meditation, but to no avail.
>>
>>1100909

>Are any of them applicable or relevant?

Yes and no.

If your boxing coach tells you "ey yo, concentrate, don't force it, go with the flow" isn't that half way mushin?

Names aren't that relevant.
>>
>>1100909
>What's /asp/'s opinion on mushin, or other martial concepts?
>Are any of them applicable or relevant?
Yes.
They're there to help you stop being a puss
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.