[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skydiving General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Flipped.jpg (403 KB, 2048x1782) Image search: [Google]
Flipped.jpg
403 KB, 2048x1782
Who else is psyched for the start of the season?

Safety day a week behind us (I was the guy pin checking in Parachutist ads) and it's starting to warm up!!!

I'm headed to Carolinafest again this year, anyone else excited for boogies?
>>
File: 1437347380340.png (63 KB, 404x331) Image search: [Google]
1437347380340.png
63 KB, 404x331
>jumping out of planes for fun
how much of a moron do you have to be?
>>
>>1090225
It actually very safe. You're just a pussy with slow response times
>>
>>1090225

How many threads to discuss childrens television programming do you fucking people need before you "wrestling" losers stop shitting up the other topics on this board? Maybe if you turned off the WWE Network and left the house for more than five fucking seconds you wouldn't feel so compelled to post in every goddamn topic you can find you autistic manchild. Go watch your sweaty men holding each other some more and continue wasting your life.
>>
>>1090765
kek
>>
>>1090732
not him, but is it? explain further.
>>
>>1091001
Not either of them. But for the most part yeah. Ya got two parachutes. So if the first one fucks up you have the second reserve one. The chances of your reserve fucking up are so incredibly low that its pretty much you're own fault or someone you're jumping with's fault if you die...

Basically people on die in the sport of skydiving because of their own (or someone elses) stupidity.

And do you really think the FAA or government would even let people jump out of planes if they died as much as the general public think they do?
>>
>>1091001
Yeah as mentioned below it's very safe. No one dies anymore from parachutes not opening - it's just doesn't happen anymore.

Rate of failure on opening (Line over, spin up, blown cells, baglock) of main parachute is like 1 in 1,000-15,000 depending on the size, and model of the main parachute. The more jumps you have, the smaller you chute, the more it tends to spin up as it's heavily loaded = more experience more danger.

After cutting away that, your reserve (generally, unless you opt for no RSL) automatically opens up, and is a MUCH more regulated and tested chute that flies very boringly and opens quickly and with no errors. Even loaded up like your main, it's still a more reliable and resilent chute.

The majority of deaths now (excluding base) are canopy collisions and swooping accidents. Swooping is done by idiots who are extremely experienced, aiming at the ground and pulling up at the last second. Canopy collisions are two accidents.

With all this - 10-30 people a year die in the sport, with less risk skydiving than driving 80 miles on a motorcycle
>>
I really want to try skydiving. I jumped off a cliff into a river once and it felt amazing. I can only imagine how it would feel jumping from a plane with nothing around you but the sky and the earth below you. But I heard you have to do the first many jumps strapped to someone else who is certified or something. That's real lame and would ruin the experience. What's so hard about pulling a cord anyway
>>
>>1096210
I would imagine the danger is in the landing.
>>
>>1096210
No - first jump can be with your own parachute - it's called 'AFF', it's a 6-8 hour training class followed by a jump with two instructors accompanying you.

The hard part is staying stable in free fall with good body position, not tumbling, being aware of your altitude, recognizing and dealing with malfunctions, and learning what a flight path is and how turns affect your parachute.

You jump with a 240/280 square foot parachute, so even if you black out your landing only gives you bumps and bruises
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.