[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody here train Jiu Jitsu? How long have you been training?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15
File: Xande-adcc.jpg (100 KB, 1024x550) Image search: [Google]
Xande-adcc.jpg
100 KB, 1024x550
Anybody here train Jiu Jitsu?

How long have you been training? What belt are you? What's your favorite submission?
>>
File: 123.jpg (1 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
1 MB, 1280x800
I've been training about 1 1/2 years now still a white belt. Favorite sub is armbar from mount.
>>
>>1089374
Intermittently for 6 months, White belt 1 stripe, Mounted Americana
>>
A little over a year, white belt no-stripe. Mostly train in a Gi so most of my submissions are with lapel/collar chokes from mount
>>1089375
"Still a white belt after 1 1/2 years"
BJJ isn't a kids karate class, it takes time to reach next belt level
if you're training somewhere serious you're still gonna be a white belt for a while.

It's not a bad thing to be a white belt, just focus on the training instead of belt colour :)
>>
>>1089374
Purple belt
6years (4 days a week)
Gogoplata,Ude Garami and when training in Gi baseball choke is fun.
>>
>>1089427
kek
>>
>>1089427
It's only gay if you make eye contact
>>
>>1089375
How do you go to the next belt, a test?
>>
>>1089494
You have to prove yourself in a live sparring situation.
>>
>>1089374
3.5 years, blue belt.

Favourite submissions vary wildly. Straight ankle lock takes the cake though. Other than that
>chokes through half guard
>kimura/armbar/inverted triangle chain
>during Judo armbar from guard
>>
Three years, purple belt, knee bar.
>>
>>1089374
with all these blues and purples why hasn't /asp/ had better bjj discussion?
>>
>>1089374
5 years, blue belt.

Favorite sub used to be kimura/armbar/wristlock combo. Not sure what it is now. I am trying to work my chokes and leg locks a lot more. I have really been liking tripod ankle lock and inverted heel hook/ankle lock/kneebar combo (I skip the inverted heel if training in a gi).
>>
>>1090382
I spend most of my time on /esg/ and /heem/
>>
>>1089494
generally when your teacher/trainer/instructor thinks you are ready
>>
>>1089374
1 year 9 months, got my Blue in December. Big fan of the straight ankle lock, and omoplata.

Straight ankle from scrambles, I like omoplata entrances from that 10th planet rubber guard nonsense.
>>
File: 2aflqh1.jpg (27 KB, 481x701) Image search: [Google]
2aflqh1.jpg
27 KB, 481x701
5 years-ish, 4-stripe blue, toeholds
>>
>>1090382
Literally my first day looking bjj on this chinese cartoon soundboard.

Reddit bjj is a little deep on pan ams stuff. I just don't like the ruleset, although my teammate got bronze yesterday in his first comp as an adult; so I am happy for him.
>>
>>1091283
Whoops it was juvenile 1

Damn teammates feeding me false info.
>>
>>1090454
5 years bluebelt?
Have you been on and off?
you should have a purple if you have been training daily
>>
About 6 years on and off (mostly off)
Blue
Triangle (though I'm keen to get into leglocks more)
>>
White Belt, about 6 months, but might be promoted to blue belt depending on how I do in my upcoming tournament. Train 6 days/week,

anything in close guard, but my main instinct is the easy triangle
>>
>>1090382
Most people are lying, they are white belts. There are a couple blues and purples but mostly people here are white belt teenagers.
>>
>>1092398
wonder who has the highest rank and or experience on /asp/ seems like with all the shit posting probably no one.
>>
File: mop like a white belt.jpg (54 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
mop like a white belt.jpg
54 KB, 360x450
bb here, 15 years of bjj.
Every roll I learn that my skill are not enough to be what should represent my belt, this, even after 2 years as a bb.
Don't bother yourself with the color of the belt. One can be good a white belt and another bb not even deserve the first stripe he ever got.
Try to beat yourself every session, every roll. Sometimes, it is not getting the upper hand, but just finding a new way of thinking, adapting your body and mind to the pressure to find a new way. It can also be relieving the stress or attain a fraction of a femto second of mindfullness while rolling. It can also just be there to help a partner train and have him/her reaching one or more of the above.
Breath Eat sleep Jiu jitsu, i.e. find yourself and your own balance in life.
>>
>>1092398
We're all whitebelts.
>>
I'm a judo nidan(2nd degree) and wrestling coach. Not really ranked in jiu jitsu but i admire the style.

Every now and then we will have a good stream of bjj players come in to cross train.

My 2 go to submissions are kata gatame/arm triangle and juji gatame/straight armbar.

My guard is pretty meh, but push comes to shove i can survive on bottom with my half guard.

Don't mind discussing any problems people have from a judo or wrestling POV.
>>
>>1092663
i need some tips on defending the single. i can maintain my balance pretty well but im light enough that most people in my gym can just pick me up. how do i prevent this?
>>
File: single to double.gif (2 MB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
single to double.gif
2 MB, 500x313
>>1092668
I'll say a huge root for beginners having a hard time defending takedowns is there stance and foot work.

They always think sprawl, but honestly in the lines of defense the sprawl is the last resort, You need to use your head and hands to control distance and club and push them away, if they penetrate that layer, being able to downblock and then finally being able to sprawl.

But this all steams from being able to have a good stance, hands up in front, feet spread, ass down

For a frame of reference i want you to refer to the link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wji1jm_kEM

Now earlier i referred to layers of defense i want you to look at the following link below as a reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1vlqBRmH_g

I like to help you more defending against the single, but i need a tad more details on what kin of single you're getting hit with, a lowswing? high c? I'll use my next post to break down general principles
>>
A judo guy here trying to switch to bjj. Bjj seems more adult and interesting to me. Not trying to offend other judo guys here but judo is too hard to get in to when you are older. I started judo when i was 16 and already in all competition most of the oponents were as minimum 4 belts higher than me and only people with the same orange belt were too young for me. In bjj competitions it was completely different for me. There were 2 groups - "white belts" and "blue belts and higher". It surprised me that many guys over age of 20 were still white belts but that is what i liked. It just proved that bjj is something that you can start at any age and be decent.
Also i would like to ask a question to fellow bjj guys. How do i train bjj alone? Sounds stupid but this is my situation. I like in a small city with 1 judo club and there is no chance to train bjj, my judo teacher has teached me bjj basics of bjj but i feel that i want to get more into it but there is nobody i can learn from, the closest bjj club is too far to drive to it more than 4 times a month.There is a bjj competition being held in my city and i want to participate and my judo teacher encourages me to participate but there is not so much of technique i know. Any of you ever been in a situation like this where you have to train on your own? Any tips? For now i do judo, watch videos and after judo classes i take a friend and work on bjj techniques that i have seen on youtube. Somehow i also feel that my judo skills are ruining my bjj skills. In judo you want to train your reflex to fall on your stomach instead of back which is really bad position for bjj and judo ground fights are really different from bjj mostly it is the speed and movement, in judo it is rare to see people rolling around during ground fight while in bjj i find it interesting and useful. Any help is welcome anons.
Bjj for life
from a judo guy
In the end a fun video for you about bjj
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7VjFcb3JV8
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 230x209) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 230x209
>>1092553
Hey are you that faggot TKD guy who created a BJJ black belt alter ego and lied about fighting in One FC? Because you seem like that faggot TKD guy who created a BJJ black belt alter ego and lied about fighting in One FC.
>>
>>1092682
thanks for the lines of defense stuff. the problem i have is when they have a single and try to drag me down. i can defend this and push their head and try to escape but they will usually end up just picking me up from the single. i should also mention this is in Gi BJJ
>>
>>1092704
what techniques can you do your judo takedowns should help you a bunch in BJJ
>>
>>1092713
are you talking about that Filipino guy that used to namefag?
>>
>>1092718
Takedowns are one thing but the fight ends on the ground so the outcome is made mostly by the guy who controls the ground fight. And many bjj fighters tend to fight very differently from judokas.
>>
>>1092787
true but wondering what throws you know because different throws have different opening and synergy to lead to newza
>>
Never done any BJJ before, how much should I expect to spend? I ask because my college also has a Jiu Jitsu class taught by the same guy at the 10th Planet I'm looking at, wondering which would be cheaper/better.
>>
>>1093372
10th Planet is the best your money can get. You in LA?
>>
>>1093759
No it fucking isn't. They're a good group of guys but they're far from the best. Best marketed, maybe.
>>
How the fuck does anyone afford the time or energy or money for this anyway?
>>
>>1093927
Gracie nuthugger
>>
>>1093372
Anywhere from $70-100 a month in the US.
>>
>>1094016
Atos, Gracie Barra, checkmat, etc have guys finishing top every year in most major tournies. 10th planet barely has shit for credentials in BJJ comp. or mms for that matter which Eddie supposedly designed his system for.

Shitloads of YouTube videos though..
>>
>>1093994

get a real job?

I pay 140/month for unlimited bjj at my gym. there are classes every day, but I end up going about 2-3 days a week consistently.

I dont really see 140 a month to be that much for how much I get out of it. that's the equivalent of like 2 friday nights out when you are married
>>
>>1094283
I could care less about competitions, I'm in it for self defense which is more viable than learning the berimbolo just to score some points.
Porra
>>
>>1094520
>berimbolo
AtosMIA bro here, I see all the higher ranks doing this in open mats
>>
File: 1445733981202.jpg (30 KB, 640x469) Image search: [Google]
1445733981202.jpg
30 KB, 640x469
>>1091493
I was out for a year with a shoulder injury.

Our school is the oldest in the state, and everyone knows you don't train here if you want to get promoted fast.

It seems like it is primarily based of class attendance + requisite years. Problem is I do a lot of my training outside of classes.

I am at a low purple level. I am as good as or better than a good amount of our purple bets. Everyone kept telling me "I'm surprised they didn't test you...etc" last time they did belt testing.

>>1091283
Gi rules are usually pretty shitty brah.

>>1092668
>>1092682
>>1092716
Those are some great wrestling basics and true fundamentals.

I am lucky in that my coach was a D1 wrester in addition to a BJJ blackbelt and has the more unique background in shooto/catch wrestling.

If they get past all that you have several options from a head inside single: Whizzer +push their head under you stomache. If they don't quite get a strong grip on your leg, you can turn, push on their shoulder and pull out. Also, getting your leg out from the middle of their legs, and on the outside of their near leg is another fundamental defense.

As far as a submission wrestling standpoint goes, you have some great opportunities: For a head inside single:
Kimura Trap
Bulldog choke
Rolling Kneebar (Victor Roll)
Leg scissors to inverse heel hook/kneebar/far ankle lock (I'm not sure if doing this from them having a single still qualifies as Kami Basami which is usually illegal)
A lot of people are doing some roll under type sweeps which I am not as familiar with.

If they go for a high-c, you can sprawl quarter-turn and take the bake. This can be very favorable as you have a good chance of trapping the arm.
>>
File: 1445053916641.jpg (219 KB, 775x734) Image search: [Google]
1445053916641.jpg
219 KB, 775x734
>>1095735
continued

>>1093759
>>1093927
>>1094016
>>1094283
I have several books and DVDs from Eddie and have a decent familiarity with him, although I have never personally trained with him or at a 10th planet school.

That being said, 10th planet is definitely not the best training money can buy. Once you have had a true high level coach, a lot of the little details and how people teach things become apparent. Or even just from watching other people's DVDs. I do not really see that from the stuff 10th planet is producing.

That being said, I've got a lot of great stuff from Eddie. I will say that aside from Rubber guard, most of it isn't really unique to 10th planet. A lot of it has been around for a long as time via Catch Wrestling.

I really like how Eddie puts everything together in a coherent organized system. That is very hard to do and you have to give him props for putting it together so concisely.

10th planet does have a few good competitors right now. Geo Martinez is doing pretty well. I don't know if he's world level yet, but he has amazing potential. He hasn't been training that long. Maybe 6 years now?
>>
File: snap down.gif (2 MB, 500x293) Image search: [Google]
snap down.gif
2 MB, 500x293
>>1092716
I want to piggy back and expand on my explanation

>>1095735
has some good advice,

The whizzer, underhook and or overhooking are great to stifle a single leg. You want to keep in mind that when you're in gi, you have a HUGE advantage over people doing shots on you since there is so much material to grip on, it makes it easier to jam them gripping high on the collar behind the neck , or cross facing them and gripping the opposing .

Because this is gi, i recommend getting a good high grip and snapping them down, for me as a judoka, and to prevent a guard pull, moving them forward and snapping and shoving their posture down forces them to shoot bad shots, and from there its easier to defend the shot, take the back, set up a tilt or go for a rolling submission
>>
>>1096119
The gi is great for preventing shots. Our coach generally tells us to not even bother with doubles in the gi, but to go for singles. That was his experience being a wrestler who also did double at the D1 level. Couldn't pull them off in BJJ and had to switch to singles.

He does have a few Gi set-ups, but they are more indirect.
>>
>>1096136
I'll say this a huge reason for the no leg grab in judo rule was because of people getting jammed and stuck, they would do a shitty morote gari/ shot the guy would grab the gi and stale mate them, made for really boring unexciting judo with people winning by penalty. Now the no leg grab rule is shitty, and people still stall out, but man watch some of the early 00 matches and they were real long boring grinds
>>
File: 1044223[2].jpg (33 KB, 505x376) Image search: [Google]
1044223[2].jpg
33 KB, 505x376
>>1096144
I remember first learning of those rules when Jimmy Pedro came by our school and was talking about it. Was pretty cool. He did a spur of the moment seminar for free. I know he was a big user of the leg grab.
>>
>>1089374
white belt, been training for a year, and 4 months.

Been working on reverse kesa gatame to mount, to cross collar choke.

The submission I seem to get the most, and is probably my favorite is the rolling bow and arrow.
>>
>>1092704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4

Here's an awesome list of solo drills.

Just improving your movement (inb4 movement meme) is actually huge in BJJ. There's a pretty famous 10thplanet guy who's a breakdancer and got his black belt from Eddie Bravo in like 3 years, because he had such amazing proprioception from his breakdancing skills he developed earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTewItI9LGI

Also, balance balls will improve your jiujitsu hugely. Here's an awesome demo from Jeff Glover. It'll help develop your pressure game, and your balance.
>>
>>1096203
>Also, balance balls will improve your jiujitsu hugely.

No they won't

Maybe a little.

The only thing that will improve it hugely is grappling.
>>
>>1097548
He's talking about solo drill, so in the context of doing what you can do solo, balance ball drills are amazing for your top game.
>>
File: 1440628310875.jpg (22 KB, 700x333) Image search: [Google]
1440628310875.jpg
22 KB, 700x333
The progression of a grappler

>I'm not gonna train in a gi. That shit is stupid
>I wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to train. I really don't like all the gi burns though and the gripsy wipsies.
>Haha, I can't believe this sucker let me completely wrap both of his arms up in his own lapel!
>So, I was grappling with Steve the other day, and he actually tried to pass my inverted de la-worm guard. The absolute madman!
>>
>>1097895
I like 50/50 guard nothing to hate on that and i don't even train BJJ or the other guard types but 50/50 is legit.
>>
>>1097898
It's okay. I mean. It's like a neutral position. But you have to know how to work it.

I'd rather be in a position where you can heel hook without fear of being heel hooked.
>>
>>1097914
Heel hook or be heel hooked.

Ride the tiger.
>>
>>1093759
I went to tenth planet recently in LA and I will reserve judgement until I take more classes. I recently took their Combat JJ class and to be fair it was decent but not worth the 140-160 a month they're charging. I get way more bang for my buck in a great Judo gym here in LA that's going for 40 a month
>>
>>1097895
Anyone else here keep shit real when they train a martial art regardless of what the instructor says? Unless it's a literal training exercise, like a drill, I never ever pull guard or do anything that would put me in an unfavorable place. I always go for mount or side control.
>>
>>1098046
I'll pull guard when I want to work on my guard - or when I've just tapped someone multiple times with my usual top game and feel like doing something different.
>>
which of you fags were at the Braulio Estima seminar tonight?
>>
Bunp
>>
>>1098046
Your defense will always be shit and skinny kids will cut through fucking guard when you grow out of being a skinny no stripe white belt yourself.
>>
So near my apt there's a Judo place and a BJJ place.

BJJ place offers 6 1-ish hour classes per week, and comes in a package with Gi, no gi, and wrestling for $90 per month (you can add MMA striking for another $11). It's very well respected and renowned, and the 3 classes 6 days a week is pretty dank at that price point, especially since the teachers are all actively training and fighting locally and on a state level.

Judo place is taught by Texas A&M's Judo coach and offers 3 classes per week at $40 per month.

Wat do? I plan on trying them both out, and want to learn both arts as they seem like two halves of what Judo originally was for the most part. But I plan to transfer up to the university in a couple years or so and then I could get 6 2 hour Judo sessions per week anyway for free (with tuition, of course).

When I get better funds I was gonna go with BJJ to start since I want to learn no-gi as well anyway. I just really love throws but it seems like BJJ has been much less gimped as a result of not being Olympic.
>>
>>1097895
but you guys fail to realize by the time you're successfully pulling off the infamous inverted de la-worm guard you've already reached the point where your grappling could easily beat anyone untrained.
>>
>>1101935
It sounds a lot like you have already made your decision. Try out bjj/wrestling and just commit to that religiously until you transfer to the university. At that point you will have a strong understanding of the basics/intermediate concepts and you will be able to much more effectively evaluate the judo being taught and whether or not it would be a smart addition/substitution for your training routine.
>>
>>1102098
Well I know that the Judo instruction is good as well. I intend to do both, I'm really just asking which would be the better base. Also I might not even be able to handle more than 3 classes per week anyway so the 6 available classes per week might be a moot point.
>>
>>1101935
I'm a little bias'd but I think BJJ offers a better base, while Judo is great on the feet the consistency of the finish leaves something to be desired.

Yeah, getting an "ippon" is great and all, but there's nothing says "i fucking got you" than forcing another man to admit defeat with a submission.
>>
>>1102107
Im not saying either one is or isnt good instruction, I have absolutely no way of realistically knowing that. You have it figured out with
>not handling more than 3 classes a week
Most people can't just wake up and decide to make it to practice 6 days a week as a beginner, particularly if you are trying to do multiple classes back to back. My point is that you should pick one and commit to it fully, and then later evaluate for yourself(who will then have actual experience) if adding the other one into your life is a commitment you want to make. Given that you will get the option of free judo training later by sticking to your career path, as opposed to paid judo training now, I recommended the bjj option since it will be paid whether you try it now or a few years from now.

In my opinion the bjj option you have will be a better base. I am assuming you mean a base in reference to mma(if you want to compete in one specifically, do that one and nothing else and if you want self defense see >/k/) there and there is a reason every single mma fighter who relies on their grappling(sans one with a broken face) has a bjj/wrestling background. I'm not saying judo isn't a 100% viable option, but the learning curve on taking an art that is taught almost exclusively in and to rely on a heavy gi into the octagon is significantly longer than your bjj/nogi/wrestling option.

tl;dr For the best base I would go with your bjj option, but then I'm dispensing advice on an anarctic autism support forum at 2 in the morning. Just pick one thing and commit to it for a few years first.
>>
>>1102162
This is more or less what I was thinking.

I really want to into throws, but the MMA place teaches basic, practical throws anyway and I can get Judo free later. MMA place also offers striking, which oddly can't be found anywhere else in the fucking city outside of Taekwondo and stripmall krotty. Oh, and "fitness kickboxing".

It just seems like the BJJ/no-gi/wrestling combo will be more useful in general than Judo alone. It hurts because I LOVE watching Judo and the history of it, but I want to do this right and actually be good at grappling and fighting, not just good at Judo.
>>
>>1096144
>man watch some of the early 00 matches and they were real long boring grinds
Still, I don't want to learn an art to entertain people, I want to learn to fight.
>>
JJ makes me feel like I'm cheating on my girlfriend whenever I train. I don't blame people for making fun of it and calling it gay.
>>
>>1102166
Judo player here, I cross train in BJJ but my base is judo. I had no problems in converting my judo knowledge to no-gi at BJJ, but then I was BB at Judo when I started BJJ.

The only thing I really struggled with at first was foot/leg locks because we never train them in Judo and I was never sure how to properly defend, but that's come along now anyway.
>>
Is BJJ good for self-esteem?
>>
>>1102410
Hell yeah it is. In the beginning it might feel overwhelming at times, but if you don't give up you'll have a reason to be a bit proud of your self.
>>
>>1102495
Okay. I just recently realized I rely too much on other people for constant reassurance, and that's not fair to me or them, so I'm working on improving my shitty self-esteem. Along with reading the Stoics, meditating daily, eating right, and going for runs, I'd like to learn something that's both athletic and an actual skill. Torn between BJJ and boxing to start (though I'd like to eventually do both). Do you think I should start with BJJ?
>>
>>1089374
Jiu Jitsu is for DYEL manlets who are scared of muscles and lifting weights.

Judo, Sambo, Wrestling and Boxing if you want to be a strong masculine man with morals.

BJJ/Muay Thai if you're insecure cause muscle scares you
>>
>>1102980
TIL Galvao is a DYEL manlet.
>>
>>1102994

Lol I forgot how professional brazilian grapplers never juice /s
>>
>>1102980
>not boxing and BJJ
>>
one year white belt leglock
>>
>>1104789
still a white belt after one year?
tough break
>>
>>1104912
They just hand out belts these days huh?
>>
>>1093759
What's wrong with 10th Planet?
>>
>>1107176
not to much, its legit jiu jitsu but its not the end all to be all. Thanks for Eddie Bravo's annoying marketing it has an allure to beginners or people who don't know anything about BJJ.

Again its a legit system but if you're in a huge area like LA, there's better stuff out there for what you're getting with your money.
>>
>>1107206
I don't think there's a 10th Planet on my continent, so I never really looked into it. The only thing I know it for is the rubber guard, and of course, Eddie Bravo.
>>
>>1107211
Unless you live in Africa, there's a 10th Planet gym on your continent. Probably in a different country though.
>>
9 months white belt, my favourite technique is surviving
>>
Why's it called 10th Planet? Since Pluto isn't a planet anymore, should they change the name to 9th?
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.