[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://youtu.be/wR2mXIK3G0k?t=8m45 s What's that? Oh,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: photo-1.jpg (189 KB, 515x634) Image search: [Google]
photo-1.jpg
189 KB, 515x634
https://youtu.be/wR2mXIK3G0k?t=8m45s

What's that? Oh, just Rickson Gracie admitting that MMA rules were created to make it less bloody than a realistic fight would be.

...but carry on believing that MMA is reality, guys.
>>
>>1052762
you know how i can tell you don't train?
stop shit posting and actually hit the mats you faggot.
>>
>>1052762
No shit its supposed to be a sport not a death match. its not good for business to have your fighters maimed.
>>
>>1052762
>...but carry on believing that MMA is reality, guys.
who in the fuck ever believed that?
also rickson flaps his mouth in any direction to still seem relevant
>>
>>1052801
>>1052780
>>1052771
>>1052764
OK cool so you all agree that MMA is not reality
...now if I make a post about how Kung Fu is a good style in reality, are you all gonna be like "that's been disproven in MMA" again?
>>
>>1052810
>>OK cool so you all agree that MMA is not reality

No, they agree that the rules were created to make competitions less bloody than a realistic fight. There is a large difference between "less bloody in a realistic fight" and "not reality." Stop making false equivocations.

If you DO want to go that specific and argue "If one element of reality is removed, then it's not reality," it's even EASIER to argue Kung Fu is bullshit because it's even FURTHER removed from reality because of it being primarily forms drills and compliant partners with a far lesser threat of harm than MMA.
>>
>>1052832
>far lesser threat of harm than MMA
that's funny, because there's never been an MMA tournament shut down midway through because of how many competitors were killed. there has in kung fu.
>>
So all those ufc bouts last night with bloody fighters wasn't reality?

Diaz leaking all over McGregor, his cutman and corner, mat was fake?

Lol you kung fu kids are autism and grasping for straws
>>
>>1052762
>just
That was 2 years ago you retard
>>
>>1052856
>not knowing "just" has several meanings and the grammatical structure of the sentence makes it clear that "just" in that case is not referring to time
the retard is you
>>
>>1052836
Even if that is true it doesn't matter because whatever mcdojo your going to is not gonna have their students going to death matches.
>>
>>1052916
>is not gonna have their students going to death matches.
well obviously not, nobody wants to die and it wouldn't be legal anyway. even ufc is only legal in a couple of states and they dont even kill each other
>>
>>1052836

Firstly, that tournament took place in 1929, long before the Chineseason government neutered and severely watered down the martial arts scene and turned it into the crapfestop we know of today. That was in an era where novel ideas like weight training and open sparring still existed and helped the arts thrive, as opposed to the closed off and narrow view most kung fu masters and practitioners take today to "preserve" the art.

Secondly, the rules meant that it basically turned into a series of glorified bum fights (no protection or gloves) that eventually were made safer and safer until it was basically karate rules (no eye, throat, or groin attacks, no hitting the head). The main reason it remained almost purely Chinese is that no foreign (Japanese or otherwise) martial artist was dumb enough to have fights with those kind of rules.

Finally, the only place I can find any indication that such a death count happened is an unsourced section of wikipedia. Translated text from the event indicates that while rules for such events existed, there's no mention of mass deaths occurring.

In modern competition, Kung Fu regularly fails without heavily modifying curriculum and being taught in a method similar to most "MMA" approved styles.
>>
>>1052974
>without heavily modifying curriculum and being taught in a method similar to most "MMA" approved styles.
you mean like... with sparring? so are you saying... that if you teach kung fu in a proper way and not in a shitty mcdojo way, then it's good?
>>
>>1053039
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. "Heavily modified" is obviously able to be boiled down to a SINGLE change in curriculum.

Tell me what kung-fu-specific attacks that Roy Nelson or Cung Le use that either wasn't heavily modified to be basic boxing/kickboxing, given that they're the only two successful "Kung Fu" practitioners to have made the transition to MMA.
>>
>>1053048
The closest we have is footage like this from 1954.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqn09yaGpOc

To be honest if that's the only footage we have and these are supposed to be masters, it's an embarrassment. At 4:45 an actual bout occurs and, beyond the goofy sound effects, it looks like a school fight between two preteens.

Same with this footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLl-K4mEQ0

The point is that, despite centuries of development and legacies, despite the fact that China is the most populated country in the world, and despite what hearsay you might get, there is no real empirical evidence of "pure" Kung Fu being an effective style when put up against modern "MMA" theory and training.

Perfect example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1KDz1X7iE

"The guy in the yellow shorts is called Jason DeLucia, he started learning Gracie jiu-jitsu after this fight. DeLucia won the first ever UFC fight back in 1993 when he defeated Trent Jenkins with a rear naked choke. During the post-fight interview, he said that Gracie jiu-jitsu greatly influenced the way he fights. Jason DeLucia fought Royce Gracie again in 1994 during UFC 2, Royce defeated him with an armbar."
>>
>>1053066
>implying i would watch mma enough to know specific guys
no way son
>>
>>1053099
>I have no proof, have no clue who these guys are despite both being the most popular Kung Fu practitioners in MMA, and am too stupid and lazy to search, so I'm going to pretend I'm winning

Ok. How's it feel knowing you just admitted defeat to Wu?
>>
Rickson Gracie is a god-tier submission grappler, but he shouldn't talk about stuff he has no clue about. Even Wanderlei was pissed at how much shit Rickson says when he hasn't even fought anyone in pro MMA besides a battered worn-down Funaki that was past his prime. If Rickson had taken up Bas' challenge or defeated Sakuraba, then he can talk.
>>
Shouldn't you be on page 8, WWE cuckyboy?
>>
File: 463435873563236.jpg (21 KB, 520x300) Image search: [Google]
463435873563236.jpg
21 KB, 520x300
>>1052810
You can post about kung fu, just expect to be tested by /asp/. I study Chuan Fa (Kempo) with forms, weapons, lion and dragon dancing but we also spar regularly and have sanshou training.

>>1052836
The point of a tournament fight is the beat the shit out of and/or incapacitate the opponent. There's no reason to be killing each other, safety standards are necessary.

>>1053099
This just shows that if you are a martial arts practitioner, you are just someone that does martial arts. There's a major difference between someone that does martial arts, and a martial artist.
>>
>>1053039
i wouldn't say good but its better. alot of TMA just ends up looking like really shitty kickboxing when you add sparring.
>>
>>1052762
The rules are in place as a way to make the sport mainstream. The common people want the athletes to have some tier of saftey. Most people don't want to watch some guy be murdered on television. The government and the commissions all push this narritive and they get what they want. The ufc is just do8ng what they feel is needed to make the sport grow.
>>
MMA is very close to no holds barred(NHB) and original Vale Tudo.

Not a single legit NHB or vale tudo event has ever been won by Kung-fu or any weak ass Chinese fighting system.

Keep your Ching Chong weak ass arm punches to yourself.
>>
>>1053273
>You can post about kung fu, just expect to be tested by /asp/. I study Chuan Fa (Kempo) with forms, weapons, lion and dragon dancing but we also spar regularly and have sanshou training.

Why though?

Seriously, why?

I respect the hell out of Sanshou, but why put up with lion dancing and forms to get to it? I get weapons hold some interest, but kung fu weapons are just forms no? You could do HEMA and Muay Thai or something similar and get a better set of results. Do you have no options for training where you are, or are you actually drawn to kung fu?
>>
>>1054575
Maybe he just, I don't know, likes the art form of it.

People play video games and post on Filipino Cooking Show forums, there are plenty of ways to get "better results" for their activities, but they do it because they like to.
>>
>>1052810

If MMA isn't reality, what does that say about choreographed skits and dancing around with tin foil "swords?"

People who don't even spar claiming they are more hardcore than people who at least spar is getting really old.
>>
>>1054575
The order in which we learn what I mentioned would go:
-Forms
-Staff (first weapon)
-Sparring
-Specialized weapon (blunt, sharp, hinged)
-Sanshou
-Dragon/Lion dance

Forms teach structure and technique, something that can always be worked on and improved. Lion dancing requires constant non-verbal communication between the front, back and drummer while the Lion dancers are stacking, rolling and jumping in harmony. Dragon dancing requires communication between 9 (10 with a pearl) with waves, barrel rolls and snaking between and over each other.

Also we do spar with wooden variations of our weapons.
>>
>>1052922
MMA is legal in every state except for New York.
>>
>>1052836
You love telling that one story, don't you? What happened in China in the 20s, before MMA as we know it even existed, has no bearing on any argument today.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.