[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Signs of a McDojo >No grappling >Anti-grappling moves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: aikido3.jpg (8 KB, 400x370) Image search: [Google]
aikido3.jpg
8 KB, 400x370
Signs of a McDojo

>No grappling
>Anti-grappling moves like "knee to the face" or "elbow to the spine"
>Palm strikes
>Pressure points
>Neck snapping
>Eye gouging
>Ear slapping
>Standing wrist locks
>Axe kicks
>Spinning back fists
>Moves that "take your opponent's knee out"
>Kata/Forms
>Board breaking
>No sparring
>Point sparring
>We don't compete
>Too dangerous for the ring
>How to fight multiple attackers at once
>>
>>1040992
Guess judo, kendo, knockdown karate, are all out
>>
>>1041006

How is judo out?
>>
>>1041020
>Kata/Forms
>Standing wrist locks
>>
>>1041070
I go to Tenri Judo in los angeles and it's one of the best Judo gyms in the USA taught by Tokuzo Takahashi and I've NEVER once done a kata
>>
>>1041112
Really? you need to do them to grade up passed ikkyo around here.

http://judoinfo.com/katamenu.htm
>>
>>1041127
not all judo dojos grade the same honestly some base on merit of competition, some base on prior experience, if you're a 4 year varsity wrestler, after a week of practice you get a nice "equivalent" brown belt.

It really depends on the discretion of the instructors. Personally for my 1st dan i did a kata, 2nd dan i didnt and was based off experience and merit.

My own coach has told me, get my ref cert and ill probably get my 3rd degree.
>>
>>1040992

>>No grappling
A Western Boxing gym is a McDojo.

>anti-grappling moves like elbow to spine
All self defense classes are McDojos.

>Palm strikes
nigga

>Pressure points
Depends on the context.

>Neck snapping
SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH YOUR STUPID ASS MEMES

>Eye gouging
You don't like Goju Guy, do you?

>Ear Slapping
That's a valid technique.

>standing wrist locks
Aikido is a good supplemental art after you've had 5 or more years of training in some other arts.

>Axe kicks
This is just shitposting now.

>Spinning back kicks
Stop shitposting.

>the rest
I'm not reading this bullshit.

Stop shitposting.
>>
>>1040992

saved
>>
>>1041205
>A Western Boxing gym is a McDojo.
This might be more true than you realize.
>>
I think the problem isn't "McDojo"s as much as it is McStudents who are shit at everything and shift the blame on something else to look cool on the 4 channels
>>
>>1041374

Knockout Fitness
>>
>>1040992
So when I did point stop kickboxing, that was a mcdojo? Even though I was training for point fighting?
>>
>>1040992
Katas are a way of training moves for dummies. Is it autistic to punch a boxing bag, then?

Anything this guy>>1041205 says is /thread/
>>
>>1040992

i guess aikido is a mcdojo then [/sarcasm]
>>
>>1042226
no, but it is shit anyway.
>>
>>1041374
How so? The only way i can think of is those Boxing Fit classes for soccer moms. other than that Boxing gyms are pretty good across the board as far as quality goes. Pretty much all of them spar and have competitive fighters.
>>
>>1042226
Well, yes.
>>
>>1041144
I trained at university of sydney under a batshit crazy polish 6th dan. He ascribed to the theory that if he judges you to be at x belt level you're x belt, up to black belt. For black belt you need the tournament results to qualify. I think that's a judo Australia requirement though.
>>
>No grappling
Kickboxing, Kyokushin, Savate, and Boxing'd be McDojo Arts then right?
Well, I mean, this shit is illegal in many competitive arts because it can fuck people and make them unable to compete. Thinking it beats grappling training is horseshit though.
>Palm strikes
Sumo has them and it's not horseshit. Kung Fu has them and it is, so it could go either way on this one desu senpai.
>Pressure points
Aikido Style? Horseshit. Judo/BJJ Style? Not so much. Liver Kicks? Definitely not. Ninjutsu Style one punch/no touch knockouts? Hahaha, that's not even a McDojo, that's a fucking McCult.
>Neck snapping
Fucking hell. Same as "anti grappling." The same answer applies to all "dirty fighting".
>Eye gouging
See above
>Ear slapping
Can work, but don't fall into the RSBD trap of "I slap his ears so he does this so I do this so he falls over so I stomp him" overchoreographed bullshit. Reactions to strikes are NOT predictable. People get dropped by seemingly light punches then take accidental, full force groin kicks in a later spar and keep going until someone stops it. Shit's weird.
>Standing wrist locks
Well... this falls under the Aikido vs Judo/BJJ comment. Um, somewhat usefull for restraining people non violently, so not totally horseshit.
>Axe kicks
Nah, fuck that, you just can't use em properly (me neither, I feel your pain). You calling Andy Hug a liar?
>Spinning back fists
Again, nope. Low percentage =/= useless
File under dirty fighting.
See "dirty fighting"
>Kata/Forms
Depends. Enshin, Ashihara, Judo and Kendo have things that are more like "2 man sets" or "shadowboxing" than they are a dance. Most of them are dumb though, but even then, Kyo guys do them and they end up ok at fighting. Depends how much emphasis is put on them.
>Board breaking
Agreed, parlour tricks.
>>
>>1043431
>No sparring
Agreed, fucking joke.
>Point sparring
Somewhat useful as a teaching tool. If it doesn't lead up to light/medium contact sparring, it's a fucking waste of time though.
>We don't compete
Depends. Usually a bad sign (particularly in arts like TKD when some schools produce athletes at least, if not exactly "fighters" but you've found one that claims it's not the "honourable way".
Fucking horseshit unless maybe they're using knives and shit.
Unless this is taught from a perspective of "you'll lose unless you cover and run", it's a fucking fantasy that could get you killed.

Tl;dr this is actually a pretty good list of "red flags", but remember a red flag isn't immediately a black flag, it's just a warning. If your school does 1 or 2 but is otherwise good, whatever. If your school does 10 get out. If you guys do all of them, stick around pls and then post about it on /asp/ cos I could use a laugh.

Oh also, OP, you forgot fucking weird belt colours like camo and shit.
>>
i like where your coming from but the list needs to be revised
>>
>>1045122
>but the list needs to be revised
Screw that.

The list needs to be stabbed, cut, shredded, compressed, stabbed again, cut again, shredded again, and then burned.

A small amount of the ashes could be used to create a better list.
>>
>>1042447
It depends on how OP views martial arts.
Technically, boxing is a competitive game about punching, not a complete combat system.
>>
>>1040992
McDojo = The Jitsu Foundation in UK
>>
>>1041112
>wat is kata
>>
File: 1334360453478.gif (651 KB, 500x422) Image search: [Google]
1334360453478.gif
651 KB, 500x422
>>1040992
>Axe kicks
>Palm strikes
>Kata/Forms
>Board breaking
kyokushin

literally excludes all bladed martial arts, as well as most weapons.

krav maga

thai boxing

>Standing wrist locks
jujutsu

>Spinning back fists
mma

in conclusion; op is a tool.
>>
>>1041144
every technique is a kata, moron. learn2japanese. whether it's practiced one technique at the time, or if the techniques are strung together like in karate, it's still kata. so unless you're just rolling around on the ground hoping you'll do judo at some point, then you have to do kata to even learn the techniques. because the techniques are the kata.
>>
>>1040992
/asp/erger
>>
File: 3252461413535.jpg (6 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
3252461413535.jpg
6 KB, 261x193
>>1045424
He's right you know
>>
>>1045434
Japanese for technique is "waza"
>>
>>1045590
anon...wow...just...wow...
>>
>>1045590
Japanese people don't just translate everything directly from English into Japanese, they have they own way of using words. Kata literally means shape or form, and it can be short or long. Like in kenjutsu, some styles have long kata, like katori shinto ryu, which consists of many techniques strung together. Other styles have like niten ichi ryu have kata which consists of only one or two techniques, yet it's called kata all the same.

Waza and kata are very loose terms and they can often be interchangeable, but waza is better to think of as "skill", hence henka waza, etc.
>>
>>1045424
>literally excludes all bladed martial arts, as well as most weapons.
Escrima has competitive fight, but they are so removed from reality, due to armor and shit, that they are laughable.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.