[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dog scraped skin under eye
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: verypain.jpg (3 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
verypain.jpg
3 MB, 3024x4032
So I was taking my dog outside before bed and on her way back she smacked her face on a wooden porch post running full speed. Luckily her eye is unharmed and it only scraped off skin under the eye. What can I do for her tonight before I take her to the vet tomorrow?
>>
File: fuckthisporch.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
fuckthisporch.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
Porch post she hit
>>
>>2167290
Calm her down as much as you can. Use hydrogen peroxide to sterilize the wound, and keep applying pressure before and after the sterilization to make sure the tissue and blood do not move more than they should.
>>
>>2167290
I am also very sorry to hear that. And, Check em'.
>>
>>2167300
Thank you for your reply, I have used hydrogen peroxide as you said. The bleeding has stopped and she is now resting.
>>
>>2167309
I wouldn't bother going to the hospital if that were my face.
I might consider it for my dog though.
>>
>>2167309
great
>>
>>2167290
Man reminds me of my dog, been there done that. She ran into a tree stump at full speed once and cut up her chest really badly. The major take away I got from the vet on it is for cleaning up doggo wounds don't use dettol but use betadine instead (the brown one) and clean it often.

Looks pretty nasty from the photo. How deep do you think it is? Might need a stitch. I would be concerned because it's so close to the eye and if it gets infected that could be bad.

My dog had a cut in the exact same place once but not as deep, the hair took forever to grow back. We called it her teardrop tattoo.
>>
>>2167309
You shouldn't use peroxide. It can actually slow down the healing by killing her platelets since H2O2 is such a vicious oxidizer. Use a topical antiseptic if you choose to use one at all.
>>
>>2167459
Bullshit. Anything is better that an infection.
>>
Peroxide can cause blindness if it gets in the eye. It also slows growth as it kills the cells. Alcohol should also not be used. Eyes are very sensitive.

Soap and water + neosporin.

I see this was posted yesterday, hope she's feeling better!
>>
File: better.jpg (4 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
better.jpg
4 MB, 3024x4032
The scrape is looking much better today. It doesn't appear to be deep at all. I bought betadine today and will be using that instead.
>>
>>2167459
>>2167579
Generally speaking, if the wound is at bigger risk of infection than anything else and isn't deep/open (ie, shallow wounds, raw skin, scratching/licking rash, no excessive bleeding etc) it's okay to apply peroxide if you cannot get better meds or a vet.
Wound closure will be delayed but germs will be killed. Also, if a wound heals with germs and debris inside it can easily cause an abscess, which is why it's better to clean/kill everything in it before worrying about healing.
>>
>>2167593
>betadine

Excellent! You may want to dilute it to 5% since it's so close to her eye.
>>
>>2167597
Will do
>>
>>2167594
PEROXIDE CAN CAUSE BLINDNESS IF USED NEAR THE EYE

Do NOT use peroxide or alcohol for first aid near the eyes!!
>>
>>2167593
Looks heaps better.

If you don't want to go in you can always phone your vet for advice. If it's your regular vet it shouldn't be a problem and it might put your mind to ease better than an Internet forum.

>>2167594
Dogs are not people. Antiseptics suitable for them cost a couple of bucks. I don't see the problem just using stuff vets recommend.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.