[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dinoflagellates in reef.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 20160710_185216.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160710_185216.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
Alright, I cannot get rid of these fucks for the life of me. My parameters are good and I've tried two 4 day blackouts with hydrogen peroxide at 1.5x doses, to no avail. It hasn't killed any of my livestock so it's benign for the most part, but it's unpleasing to the eye.
>>
>inb4 diatoms/cyano

I've dealt with both of these in the past with ease.
>>
>>2165232
they can be a bitch.
Personally I just wait them out or get animals that eat them. Usually if you've got dyno there's a lack of pods. Some fresh rock or sand with a good batch of pods might help.

Other than that try to get 0 nitrates/phosphates. Carbon dosing and solid skimming discipline might help. They often go away on their own for no apparent reason.
>>
>>2165232
a couple other suggestions in case you aren't doing them already-
run a UV sterilizer at an effective kill dose

dose vodka

fluidized bed or canister filter. Yes, they're nitrate factories but they also consume nutrients and compete with other nastier critters. A biofilter and a turf scrubber are an effective combination for starving out dino and cyano.

Passive filter carbon until it clears up.

Water changes, make sure your RO/DI is still working right.
>>
>>2165232
Ive heard conchs and other snails eat them, also what the other anon said about keeping nitrates and phosphates at 0. which starts by exporting nutrients
>>
using a 200 micron filter sock is supposed to help as well.
>>
>>2165283
I have tons of pods crawling around at night. I remember dipping the big rock full of zoas in freshwater for 5 minutes, got dozens of pods falling out.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.