[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been wanting to get this asshole a friend. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20140403_035850.jpg (348 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140403_035850.jpg
348 KB, 1536x2048
I've been wanting to get this asshole a friend. I'm terrified of if they don't get along and I'm not quite sure how to ensure that they do. Any suggestions on how I should go about finding a suitable friend?

My cat is about 3 years old and spayed, if that helps.
>>
File: IMG_0197-.jpg (3 MB, 3687x2765) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0197-.jpg
3 MB, 3687x2765
>>
>>2164310

What is his personality like? Is he playful, reserved, friendly, not friendly etc.

In general, its best to get an adult cat for an adult cat, generally around the same age. 2-6 is a good range for you to look in. I encourage people to look at the older part of that range, because they tend to be chiller and they have a harder time getting adopted. If he's really playful and active I'd recommend getting him an outgoing male of a similar personality. If he's more reserved and likes to cuddle I'd get an older shyer female.

he's a cutie btw
>>
>>2164310
>>2164528

Also as far as getting them to get along, the best thing to do is a set up the new cat in a side room, and let it chill in there for at least a week. That gives the cat time to adjust and calm down, and it gives both of them time to sniff each other under the door while still being safe and having their own designated space. After at least a week, you can open the door and let the cat explore the house at his own pace. Monitor their interaction, but don't get too involved. They may hiss and swat at each other, but that is fine. As long as they aren't seriously fighting, its best to let them work out their boundaries on their own.

Letting the cat chill in a room for at least a week is very important. I used to work at a shelter and it broke my heart the amount of cats that were returned in 2-3 days. 100% of the time the person would admit they let the cat roam the whole house and didn't put it into its own space. I guarantee you can acclimate any cat to your own/other animals with 1)designated safe space and 2) time.
>>
>>2164310
A kitten (uni) or an older calmer male
>>
Keep in mind, some cats will never get along. Some cats really just hate other cats and the best you can hope for is them to tolerate one another.
>>
>>2164532
To be very clear, even if you introduce your cats very slowly and cautiously, there is still a very high chance of the two's relationship will never build above mutual avoidance/toleration. It is IMPOSSIBLE to know how either cat will respond until you do it as well.

So if you are prepared to do things right, be patient, and accept they might never ever be bros, then go for it. You just HAVE to be prepared that getting him a friend might backfire, and all you've done is give him a cat to be annoyed at.

>>2165870
DO NOT GET AN OLDER CAT DO NOT. NO. The older cat WILL fight for dominance and try to establish himself. It will be messy, and it will be way, way stressful for the current cat.

A kitten is the way to go, 100%. It will be tons, tons easier than introducing two adult cats. With a kitten, you have nature working on helping you establish the hierarchy. Adult cats are also way less likely to view kittens as huge threats like a new adult cat. All and all, if you are going to do this, get a kitten and NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT another adult or senior cat.
>>
>>2165873

OP, do some basic research and you'll find out that this person is 100% wrong about everything.
>>
>>2165883
Agreed
>>2165873
Anon you are tarded faggatron
>>
>>2165872
This. My old, spayed female, despite growing up with other cats and dogs her entire life hates other cats and dogs. But she tolerates them. The dogs don't bother her and ahe will tolerate other cats that dont bother her/try to play enough she will let them lay next to her.

On the other hand, I have a 3 year old neutered male who LOVES other cats so they squabble here and there. I've fostered kittens and calm cats here and there and it kills me he does not have a permanent friend. Our last roommate had another cat with us and he was a weird, perfect mix. He bothered neither of them, but he also didn't mind my male cat following him around and playing with his tail.

Also fuck >>2165873
Older cats is fucking fine and its entirely reccomend by fucking everyone you get cats around the same age and similar personality. At least an adult cat can take a beating(introducing new cats most often than not, you will have fights) and a kitten cannot. A kitten will bother an older cat and will most likely live in terror from getting the shit kicked out of it all the time. Dominance is bullshit. So great. Now you will have two shitty cats while at least the kitten had the potential of living with another one it could actually play and bond with. Kittens are tempting but with an adult cat you just aren't sure. If you are adopting, be sure to let the shelter or rescue know what you are worried about and looking for. Unfortunately it could take days, weeks, or months before cats may or may not get along.
>>
>>2165883
>>2165889
>>2165904
I rescued a 10+ year old cat when my other car was 5 at the time (rescued her at the age). I was speaking out of personal experience. The two cats fought for dominance for months. Eventually the old cat came out on top.

I love older cats a lot. They are great. But I cannot recommend introducing an older cat to an adult cat. Yes it is very easy to have a kitten adopted out, but tons of people side with me that a kitten is the best route for getting another cat with a current cat
>>
>>2165918
Great, you have ONE experience. I have owned, rescued and fostered('officially' through rescues and shelters for 12 years) for probably longer than you've been alive since I'm an old fuck.

There is no sure way to figure out how two stranger cats are going to react, regardless of age. Feel free to give out your own personal experiences but based on your one, single experience(that goes against basically everyone) and act like its the only way is not helpful and can just as easily give people more problems. OPs cat may get along with a kitten. Who knows. OP may try but needs to be aware that it may work out very bad and will have to get rid of it. General rule of the thumb is, similar age and similar personality. This also goes for an adult cat he gets. It may work, it may not. It may be the personality of the cat, or OPs cat may never get along with another cat. Can't predict the future.

Its not so much as dominance as it is turning your cats life upside down by introducing another cat which can be extremely stressful and can go tenfold if it's a cat that is constantly stressing and chasing the other cat. Which can lead to other bullshit like pissing and shitting outside the litter box, hiding 24/7, fur loss, etc. Kittens will absolutely bother other cats because like toddlers, they just 'look' for death. Be shitty if it took weeks, or months of another cat beating it before it gets the picture.
>>
File: dahmer.jpg (51 KB, 500x487) Image search: [Google]
dahmer.jpg
51 KB, 500x487
>>2165918
>but muh personal experience
>>
>>2165937
Yes, it is still a crap shoot introducing two cats. Yes, it can still go wrong when you do everything right. But ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, bringing a kitten to an established adult cat plus following the proper routine sets you up for the highest chance of success.

Is it the only way? No. Does it guarantee success? No. Does it give you the best chance of success? Yes.

>>2165942
>implications
https://www.animalhumanesociety.org/training/adding-new-cat-your-household
>The typical adult household cat will accept a new kitten much more easily than he will accept a new adult cat

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/considerations-when-getting-a-second-cat/216
>One piece of research carried out in Switzerland showed that adult cats are more likely to accept the introduction of a younger individual than one of the same age or older. Therefore, it would probably be sensible to think about a kitten or a young adult for the new addition to your family

Fuck off you faggot.
>>
File: 1466948035211.gif (3 MB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1466948035211.gif
3 MB, 360x360
>>2165943
Just let it go nobody gives a shit!
>>
>>2164310
Why do you want a "friend" for your cat? Even if you're never home, cats are pretty much soulless and it's way, way, way more likely that the two cats will fight and hate each other.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.