[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Centipedes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8
File: Scolopendra20hardwickei.jpg (107 KB, 864x648) Image search: [Google]
Scolopendra20hardwickei.jpg
107 KB, 864x648
Any centipede enthusiasts on /an/?

I want to buy one but I'm not sure what species is good for a beginner. Looking for something relatively easy to care for that's not too aggressive and has relatively mild venom. Also preferaby something that doesn't spend its entire life burrowed.
>>
>>2161010
cut your nails cokehead
>>
>>2161034
That's Google Images ya dingus
>>
>>2161010
Looking to get a centipede too.I'll be getting a millipede soon for my Gecker vivarium tho.
>>
>>2161010
I have a few, some Scolopendra alternanas, S. dehaani, S. viridis, S. polymorpha, Rhysida longipes, and Alipes sp. They're neat, but kind of a pain.
>easy to care for
They're all about the same, pretty easy across the board
>not too aggressive
I wouldn't say any are 'aggressive', they don't go out of their way to bite you, but if you fuck with them, they'll defend themselves.
>mild venom
They'll all hurt if you get bit, it's best to just never give them the chance. They're definitely a look, don;t touch kind of pet.
>doesn't spend its entire life burrowed
lolololololol

I you do get one, make sure you have a secure container for it, they can be escape artists. I've found that large jars with screw-on lids work best to prevent escapes.
>>
>>2161189
Cool collection anon, got any pics?

Alipes are flag tails, right? Always wanted one of those, the noise they make is neat.

So do all 'pedes stay burrowed all the time? Do they come out? I heard that if they're happy they'll come out of hiding and crawl around the tank quite frequently. Is this true?
>>
>>2161010
1000 minus 7???
>>
Centipedes are definitely on the wishlist

Saw a momma pede with her babies and it was so darn cute
>>
>>
>>2161010
ive been trying to get people on here from more exotic countries to send me some cool species. no takers so far. and if you do your rsearch and prepare for it you can get whatever species youre willing to throw money down for
>>
File: images-6.jpg (37 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
images-6.jpg
37 KB, 511x288
>>2162207
South African here. I've seen these guys around a lot, they're pretty cool but not that big. What I really want is to find a Tanzanian blue. I heard they live in some parts of the country. If I ever found one I'd catch it and keep it though that would probably be cruel.
>>
File: 16836087841_f74ae73115_h.jpg (898 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
16836087841_f74ae73115_h.jpg
898 KB, 1600x1067
>>2161010
I'd recommend Ethmostigmus trigonopodus. They're rather chill, not that fast and at least 2 of mine regularly come out. The other 2 stay burrowed a lot though.
Activity in general is kinda random with all pedes and so far I haven't really been able to say "species x is definitely more active than species y". Sometimes they come out every night, even if they're well fed and search around, sometimes they stay in their burrows for 2 weeks.

One thing I noticed though is the bigger they get the less fucks they give. My big S. galapagoensis girl stays on the surface and sometimes even moves around during the day even though she has plenty of burrows and hiding places.

The best thing you can do is install some red LEDs above your enclosures and stay up late. If you have 10+ pedes at least one will be out every night.

Also the aggression thing is a meme. I don't know what the fuck people want to do with their pedes but if you don't act retarded you should be fine. Just make sure your enclosure is 110% escape proof. I can't stress this enough.
>>
>>2162402
Thanks for the advice, friend. I was thinking of getting an ET actually, I like the colouration. The other 2 I was interested in were S. hardwickei and Alipes (purely appearance-wise).

Tbh I never quite got what people mean by "escape artists". If I keep them in a tank with a glass lid, that is higher than their length, is there a chance they can climb up the glass and push off the lid? Otherwise I was thinking of keeping them in this massive screw-top glass jar that my mom uses to make sauerkraut. Could they chew through a plastic lid?
>>
File: IMG_8309.jpg (460 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8309.jpg
460 KB, 800x1200
>>2162432
>S. hardwickei
Good luck finding one. Even more so for one that isn't extremely overpriced.

>Alipes
Pretty easy actually. Just give them some bark to behind and keep them a bit drier.

> I never quite got what people mean by "escape artists"
They're very fast. Anything front opening is unsafe because they can very quickly run out. They can also squeeze through thin gaps.

>is there a chance they can climb up the glass and push off the lid?
They can't climb clean glass, no but give them any foothold and they'll get up there. And like any invertebrate they're surprisingly strong, they can push open loose lids.

>Could they chew through a plastic lid?
Only if it's thin. A big pede (15+cm) can get through the plastic box that crickets come in. They also chew on the silicon gluing, pic related.
>>
File: Trump Collage.jpg (4 MB, 2280x2736) Image search: [Google]
Trump Collage.jpg
4 MB, 2280x2736
>>2162189
underrated.
>>
I found 6 millipedes outside my home (i live in texas) throughout about 2 weeks, i found one and left it alone at first, then saw a second one, I keep inverts so by the second one i had already done a lot of research on them and i was interested, I picked it up and went out every other night to pick up more, they were healthy for about two months then throughout one week 5 died, I was left with one that Ive had for almost a week, pretty sad that they died on me i feel guilty but I dont know why they died
>>
>>2163906
pic related, not mine i got it off google but same species and they always had food and water, looked neat having so many together even though im usually a tarantula and scorpion guy
>>
>>2163906
"almost a week"
I meant almost a year
>>
Ok if I'm living in Michigan right now would I be able to care for wild centipedes caught in Hawaii? I'm trying to convince my sister to catch some for me.
>>
Not a centipede, but I saw this Cyanide Millipede yesterday.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.