[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turtles Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
I'm thinking of getting a pet turtle. Are they high maintenance pets? What's a great turtle to start with? How to keep them clean and comfortable? Do they need supplements? How do turtles show their love for you?

Post your turtles /an/.
>>
File: Japanese_Slider.jpg (15 KB, 620x407) Image search: [Google]
Japanese_Slider.jpg
15 KB, 620x407
>>2160901
This is my japanese slider. He needs a very big enclosure and is quite destructive. You also need to supply him with other equally large rivals so he can fight for dominance.
>>
does anyone just watch the turtles?
>>
Don't get a turtle until you can actually bother to look up required knowledge on them.
>>
>>2160908
Is he friendly with children?
>>
>>2160944
It depends on his mood. I think he is fixated on young schoolchildren.
>>
>>2160901
My sister has a turtle, it moved a lot for like a week, running and hiding in corners and shit, now it feels like a year of nothing, he sometimes eats, moves like a meter from his terrarium and basically that's it
I've heard he gets pretty lively when outside
I'm not sure they can show love and afaik they also don't hear human speach, so naming them is only for you
>>
>>2161204
Some turtles can recognize who usually feeds them and that's it. Reptiles aren't exactly bright.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467678857984.jpg (37 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467678857984.jpg
37 KB, 720x540
>>2160901
The definite answer is that it depends. Water or land turtle? Starter or exotic? No matter what, you are going to need a lot of space and some Equipment beside the enclosure/Tank (hibernation etc)
Read up on it, it's a lot more than some anons can just spoon-feed you in a couple posts.
Pic related, it's Clyde, one of my chinese pond turtles (both 27y now). Took her to Uni that day, got lots of attention. Bitches love turtles.
>>
>>2161368
>water or land turtle?
>land turtle
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467681728210.jpg (29 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467681728210.jpg
29 KB, 720x540
>>2161379
Not a native speaker, my bad.
>>
>>2161379
Box turtles are land turtles, smartass
>>
File: tough-cookie.jpg (979 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
tough-cookie.jpg
979 KB, 1632x1224
Most of the time, the setup is the most expensive, high maintenance part of it, since they need a lot of space. Largely, depending what you get, upkeep is pretty easy, just gotta do some manual labor.

If anything, most water turtles are basically on par of caring for a large fish except much less sensitive to water chemistry. Just keep the water from being overly shitty by water changes and have strong filtration (since they're messy as fuck, it's best to get a filter much stronger than the amount of water your tank holds or else you will have to chnage the water more frequently) and you're good to go.

They're very neat reptiles though, they will recognize you and even the containers used for food, and some can be docile enough to let you pet them on the head or rub their shell gently. Care for them really good, and their your buddy for life

Also pic related is my 11 year old RES, Cookie
>>
>>2161408
Your Cookie looks like my turtle. He is not docile at all, always tries to bite me when I handle him and hisses too. He do recognizes me when he sees me, but reptiles do not have "feelings" like we mean them.
>>
>>2161869
that is true, don't expect turtles to be like a dog or anything that actively likes to be cuddled.

It all really depends on each individual, some really aggessive species can have really docile individuals or calmer species have one that's aggressive as shit. RES seem to be on the middle of both docile and aggressive, just depends on your luck.

Mine just fidgets when she doesn't want to handled or handled too long, she's only ever bitten me when she was hungry and had my arm in the water fixing something once. Scratched me alot though when fidgeting
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.