[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My golden retriever got abused when it was younger by some little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: QcdeMoj.jpg (50 KB, 507x564) Image search: [Google]
QcdeMoj.jpg
50 KB, 507x564
My golden retriever got abused when it was younger by some little faggot now hes deathly afraid of fireworks.

Is there any way to reverse this in him?
>>
>>2160716
>implying most animals don't have a natural fear of very loud sounds and bright lights.
>>
>>2160719
The gunpowder also burns their noses. Don't forget that.
>>
My mom has a dvd with fireworks playing on repeat for like a week before big events, by the time the real fireworks goes off the dogs are accustomed completely
>>
Counterconditioning.

Ideally with a very fearful dog you'd start slow (with quiet recordings of fireworks,) but people are probably already setting them off so you'll have to make do with that.

Every time you hear one pop off, immediately feed your dog an irresistible, high-value treat. In time, your dog will come to associate the sound of fireworks with the positive experience of receiving yummy treats.

It sounds simple, and in principle it is. Just keep in mind that for a dog who's really scared, this can be a very slow process. Just be patient with him and keep at it. It might help to bring him to the quietest room of your house, too. Make a cozy area for him with blankets and stuff. Sit with him calmly and feed the treats every time you hear a firework noise outside.

Of course, if your dog is too scared to eat you might not be able to do this (which is why I suggest irresistible, high-value foods to entice him to eat.) That's why ideally, you'd start out with quiet recordings of fireworks instead and work up to the real thing.

Other tips for keeping him calm during fireworks: set up that cozy, quiet space for him in the quietest room in the house. It helps to be away from windows (or at least cover them) to avoid the flashes. If he'll take it, you can also give him a frozen Kong stuffed with yummy stuff to keep him occupied and building positive associations with the fireworks going off.

Good luck!
>>
If you had gotten a real retriever, and not an overbred, cancer seeking, woman dog, this wouldn't be a problem.

If it's afraid of loud noises, it's not a real retriever.

My Chesapeake and Brittany don't even flinch, and I've never hunted with them. They were just well bred.
>>
>>2160954
First off, OP didn't get the dog from a breeder. He got it from another person who got it from who knows where. Secondly, although your anecdotal evidence is impressive, training dogs from being gun-shy starts before the dogs are even born. In fact it starts with training the mother to no be scared. Not reacting to loud noises is not a hereditary trait, it's a learned one (unless the animal is deaf).
>>
>>2160956
It's about nerves. There is a reason nobody hunts with swamp colies anymore. They're only bred for soccer moms who know nothing about dogs and are getting something they think is kid safe and doesn't need training. Both are bullshit.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.