[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
mushrooms general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: blll.jpg (71 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
blll.jpg
71 KB, 600x450
I really like mushrooms, probably my favorite kind of plant (not talking about halucinogenic drugs, just eating mushrooms). I want to try to grow some at home, and was wondering if anyone here does something like that, and has any advice.
*mushroom general*
>>
File: blll2.jpg (371 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
blll2.jpg
371 KB, 1024x1024
They are also pretty, I wonder if i could manage to have one as like a potted plant?
>>
File: 2016-07-03 09.39.11.jpg (210 KB, 1121x628) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-03 09.39.11.jpg
210 KB, 1121x628
>>2160215
there's a mushroom growing in one of my Terrariums
>>
>>2160215
>my favorite kind of plant
you really think mushrooms are plants?
>>
>>2160215
>not talking about halucinogenic drugs, just eating mushrooms
what the fuck do you think is in your OP?
>>
careful what you ask for help growing online, you'll get raided by the feds
>>
>>2160243
I just picked it because it looks like a setup i could recreate. i seriously just want to grow mushrooms to cook with.
>>2160233
if thats a picture of it, you are a great photographer, and thats the type of pretty little mushroom i would like to have as plants around my house. they are elusive though, with there weird growing systems
>>
>>2160234
no, but in the laymans eyes they are pretty much plants. both grow out of the ground, can be eaten or can be poisonous and such.
>>
>>2160215
mushrooms are a pain in the ass. you need to keep them in humid substrate that itself is attractive to other fungi you do not want. you have to either keep it sterile or fuck it and cultivate it outdoors in the shade and hope for the best.
you can buy mushroom spawn online, then put it into the substrate the mushroom needs. keep it moist, keep it dark.
you can also relatively easily clone from fresh!! oyster mushrooms and grow them in straw.
>>
>>2160215
Oh boy I love them too, but they're difficult to grow. I'd also never pick them up in a forest (except pic related because you can't fuck that up) since there are many similar edible and poisonous shrooms. We get poisoned mushroom pickers often at my hospital and recently a guy with 35 year experience of mushroom picking died from kidney failure. Just buy the grown ones and enjoy. My favorite are chanterelle.
>>
begin by learning to identify mushrooms by their characteristics such as gill types, cap types, stem connections, colors and spore prints. this is very important to learn how to identify different species, spend a couple years learning before eating anything you find.
>>
>>2160217
Mot really. Mushrooms are the fruiting body of the fungus, the mycelium is the main growing and living part of the fungus. Trying to grow mushrooms like a potted plant would be like trying to keep apples on the tree.
>>
File: IMG_2074.jpg (95 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2074.jpg
95 KB, 480x640
Biology student here. I go mushroom hunting often. I haven't found shit this year, which is concerning. Last year I found mushrooms all year round. I've grown some but I don't have the adequate equipment at home to do it efficiently.

I enjoy fungi and appreciate their contributions to society and their beauty.
>>
>>2160234
>not animal
>not mineral
By the process of elimination, dear Watson, the mushrooms must be plants.
>>
What is the best tasting mushroom?
>>
>>2162954
They are not plants. They are fungi. It's completely different.
>>
>>2163027
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_(biology)

In biology, kingdom (latin: regnum, pl. regna) is the second highest taxonomic rank below domain. Kingdoms are divided into smaller groups called phyla. Traditionally, textbooks from the United States used a system of six kingdoms (Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista, Archaea/Archaeabacteria, and Bacteria/Eubacteria) while textbooks in Great Britain, India, Australia, Latin America and other countries used five kingdoms (Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Protista and Monera).
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I went to the big island of Hawaii and toured a gourmet mushroom farm. It was pretty cool. The mushrooms are known by a few different names: alii/king oyster/King trumpet

I hate how mushrooms taste but I went because in interested in mycology. I was surprised by how good they tasted. I found some at a grocery store when I got home. Very good for vegetarians, it tastes really meaty.
>>
>>2160215
They aren't plants. I did see a fairy ring once in southern Indiana. It was neat.
>>
>>2162997

cock
>>
Hi! Amateur mycologist here.

By spawn bags with filter. Use RTV silicone as self healing injection port. Buy some liquid culture of whatever you want to grow.

Use said liquid culture to create more liquid culture. Buy loads of syringes and needles, in the end you should have around 100 CCs of spore laden liquid culture. Use 30 ccs on each bag of whatever you use as a substrate. I like king oysters, and they dislike wood, so I use rye berries. Do not forget to sterilize substrate in bag either by steaming for 2 hours or pressure cooking at whatever time a guide says. Mix substrate with spent coffee grounds and gypsum.

Let mycelium growth occur
when it's mostly white and fuzzy on top, break it up in bag and roll it around.

do this twice, generally.

For oysters, generally, your indoor temp is enough. Now you have spawn bags you can use to either grow in a monotub or in a laundry basket.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.