[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/retin here in need of battle buddy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: lizzy.jpg (116 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
lizzy.jpg
116 KB, 620x465
Hello /an/ soon to be first time pet owner ( parents never let me have any pets growing up )

But I decided I want a bearded dragon, and I've watched a few videos and I've gotten the gist of what I need, but I thought i'd consult you guys about any possible complications.

Is it difficult to optimize temperature in their tanks? And how difficult can it be to clean up after them? (such as droppings and just general maintenance for their homes)

And any other advice for a complete beginner would be much appreciated. I also considered leopard geckos and crest geckos or whatever they are called. Not too sure though, as a kid I really liked beardie's
>>
I've own multiple bearded in my life time and they've always been one of my favorite reptiles aside from my sneks. As far as clean up if yiu have them on sand it's as simple as a scooper. For temperature it's fairly easy to maintain. I recommend a 40 gallon tank with a 150 wat basking spot bulb on one side and a uvb on the other side of the tank. Make sure you have a rock or something under the best bulb that will get hot. It's recommend to have a backing spot that is around 100-140 degrees. But with the 150wat on a 40 gallon it'll keep the tank around a solid 90
>>
>>2157240
Would you recommend a tank with sand? Or are regular floored tanks fine too?

I want to give my first pet as good a life as possible, moneys no problem.
>>
>>2157243
I've always done sand. It's more natural and easier to clean. 3 dollars for a 50 pound bag at your local hardware store
>>
>>2157248
>>2157240

>cue le impaction meme

Seriously though, repticarpet is safer just as easy to clean - take it out and hose it off. You'll want to get a 40 gallon tank if you get glass. I suggest a ceramic heater since they all-around last longer than any bulb on the market and don't produce any light that'll keep the dragon up.

If you do care about the impaction risk and don't get sand, look into dig boxes. The boxes are a small box with a substrate like a topsoil-sand mix that the lizard can dig around in. Useful for stress relief.

Remember that juveniles will need a protein rich diet - dubia roach nymphs are an amazing option - and that as they age, they'll rely almost completely on vegetarian foods. Foods like dandelion, mustard greens, and certain melons and berries drive them crazy. Commercial diets are also a /very/ viable food source.

Get a desert uvb with a decent perching spot and watch your fatass beardie hang around like a couch potato. They love to climb up and under things and feel protected. However, they won't use any hides that that can't completely fit them and their tails, so keep that in mind.

You'll be pretty lucky if you get one smart enough to figure out drinking from a bowl, so mist most of their food with distilled water. Give them soaks in water no higher than their "shoulders" - this helps them keep hydrated and gives them help with taking shits, since they have a tendency to go a while without excreting if they're dehydrated/impacted.

D3 is important if you plan to go cheap on the bulb - it's an easy step to feeding them. Sprinkle it on their salad or keep a little baggie with some of the vitamin powder on the side that you can put insects in and toss around like lizard shake 'n' bake.

Don't pick at their sheds - it'll look patchy and gross but that's just the way it goes. You can add textured tiles or small rocks and wood to help them rub up against. Mist the lizard thoroughly if it looks stuck.

Good luck.
>>
>>2157248

Also
>more natural
Kek.
Clay and rocks are their jam, broham.
>>
>>2157212
How are you planning on taking care of the battle beardy during the HABBENING? I assume you'd have some sort of rail mount adapter or something for it?
>>
>>2157243

No sand. It's bad for their joints. It's impossible to keep sterile. Yes, it is an impaction risk and no that is not just a meme.

Ceramic or slate tile works well. Excavator clay works for more naturalistic appearance however that is also impossible to keep clean. The new rubber desert sand mats made by exo terra would work well although I've never tried those.

As for beardies in general, sure you can keep one as your first reptile. Just make sure to follow caresheets closely on appropriate diet and don't get lazy on that. They are an omnivorous lizard and need their veg just as much as they need insects.
>>
>>2157255
ill use some carpet.

thanks memester
>>
>>2157240
>>2157243
>>2157248
NONONONONONONONO DO NOT PUT THEM ON FUCKING SAND
THEY WILL DIE
>>
SAND IS BAD

REAL BEARDIES DO NOT LIVE ON SAND
>>
>>2157256
This is correct. I had one for 5 years. I use to use tile. When my dude would poop, I'd just pick up the tile that needed to be cleaned. Once in a while I'd clean all of the tiles.
>>
>>2158473
Also, check craigslist to see if someone is giving away a beardie. They might also have a tank and some other shit. People always get these as pets for their kids and then go "oh wait wha 2 much work???"
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.