[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Two puppers one person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7
File: Resized_20160618_112851.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160618_112851.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Hi /an/

I'm looking for your advice even tho I know it ultimately comes down to my decision.

A coworker is looking to rehome her dog (pic related - one on the left). She is 9 months old and potty trained and all that good stuff and my 1.5 year old (the one on the left) gets along with her and they love playing with each other.

Money isn't really a concern and I have a big fenced yard so they have plenty of room to play but I still have reservations about taking another dog into my home and ruining the dynamic I currently have.

Would the pros outweigh the cons? How much more work is two than one?

Any advice would be welcome especially if someone has been in the situation where they've taken in a second dog.
>>
File: Resized_20160618_094958.jpg (793 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160618_094958.jpg
793 KB, 2560x1440
Oops! I meant to say that my current doge is on the right, not the left.

These were taken today...the family left her at my house to spend time with my current dog and I.
>>
File: image.jpg (755 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
755 KB, 3264x2448
I was in a similar situation with my cat. I debated for months on weather if I should get her a companion. One day I decided to go for it and it truly couldn't have worked out better. The cats love each other! I'm relieved that she has a "friend" and I feel it brings a more peaceful aura to my home. I'm confident bringing the dog into your home will bring you mostly joy. It looks like the two get along from your pictures. They are also both close in age.

If you have the money, resources, and time then I'd say go for it! For me the only draw back to having the second cat is more messes to clean up.

Just ensure if you make a decision to stick to it. It does no justice to the animal to adopt it and then give it away.
>>
>>2149086
introduce your dog to hers several times. also have them interact in your home. a dog may be friendly towards another dog on neutral ground but might be guarding in its home. if they well being around each other after several visits i don't see why you shouldn't adopt her.

i'm not saying that they'll always get along or that there won't be any bumps in the road because that's to be expected
>>
File: IMG_20160619_151439.jpg (665 KB, 1442x1442) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160619_151439.jpg
665 KB, 1442x1442
We have 2 dogs, I get home at 4:30pm and my gf gets home about 6 so I do most of the "work" with them and dont struggle. Definantly would be easier walking them if they were evenly matched for size.
>>
File: Resized_20160618_131230.jpg (791 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20160618_131230.jpg
791 KB, 2560x1440
>>2149121

They spent around 8 hours together at my house today and a few the other day.

Drank out of the same water bowl together. My current dog was staring her down when the other one was chewing on one of her toys but didn't seem like she was being aggressive in any manner.

My biggest concern would be my relationship with my current dog...I don't want to lose the bond we have now just because there is another dog in the picture.
>>
>>2149125
make sure to spend one on one time with each of them then. do training for like 10 minutes per day with each of them

i think what you need to ask yourself is if owning a second dog is more important to you than having a bond with just one dog
>>
File: Snapchat-49102666847936187.jpg (964 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-49102666847936187.jpg
964 KB, 1440x2392
>>2149125
We got a second because our first was sitting on the corner of the couch sighing, we took it as a sign of loneliness and an excuse to search for another dog. The first one is 5 years old on the left and the new guy is only 2, they ignored each other when they first met, are now awesome together, don't argue over toys, play all day while we're gone, and I have two waggy guys to come home to. Combined they weigh about 170lbs, 60lbs more than me, and I don't struggle with them much. I think two is better than one. The first still has the bond he developed with us, the second one is still getting acclimated but doing fine, they're both giant babies.

But do you really want your friend's dog just because your friend is looking to give it up? Or would you rather have a different one? Tee bee aych I wouldn't take a dog in just because a friend couldn't have it anymore. I would get whatever dog I wanted or fell in love with at a shelter.
>>
I was just in your shoes a few weeks ago, when I adopted a new dog. I have a small dog (15lbs, but she should probably be 18), and a medium sized dog (45lbs). The small one is the new addition. I am a single dude in a small-ish condo.

Two is definitely more work than one, but it is more logistic increase than linear or exponential. It is more work, yeah, but 1 - 2 dogs is way less work than 0 - 1.

There is a definite learning curve to walking two dogs. It is way harder than it seems. You can expect both the dogs to forget everything they know about walking nicely too. There are products to supposedly make it easier, but just use two leashes man. It's easy once you figure out how to adjust the slack in the leash to suit each individual dog. Having two dogs of similar size would probably make it easier, but again, not bad once you figure it out.

Also, you don't need to worry too much about losing the bond with your first dog. My two were best of friends the moment they met, so they are fairly inseparable from not only each other, but me. Whenever one is getting attention from me, the other has to scoot over and make sure to get attention too, and I have gotten plenty of kisses from both at the same time. Your dog will still love you all the same, but he just has a new buddy.
>>
>>2149086
You have on shitbreed dog now you want another stupid fuckingbull dog... go for it.
>>
File: 1465499758959.gif (41 KB, 413x334) Image search: [Google]
1465499758959.gif
41 KB, 413x334
>>2149657

Thank you for your well thought out and informed opinion :3
>>
>>2149125

You won't damage your relationship with your current dog. If anything, you will improve his life by giving him a buddy that he already gets along with.

2 dogs is really not harder than 1, if anything it's a little easier because they can play with each other and get energy out, so it's not always up to you to walk them/run around if you aren't feeling up to it on certain days. The only harder thing I can think of is grooming; you'll have to give 2 baths instead of one.

You seem like a nice dog owner, considering the things you are concerned about. If you have the ability to give a dog a nice, stable home with a dog friend he likes and with a nice person who will love him and treat him right I would encourage you to adopt the dog.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.