[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /an/ any chance you could identify this caterpillar?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /an/ any chance you could identify this caterpillar?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Here's the cocoon of one just above it
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
Also I found a bunch of them doing this on a tree for whatever reason

First pic
>>
>>2148141
eastern tent caterpillar or forest tent caterpillar.
not sure which.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Second pic (it didn't post for some reason)
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (49 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
49 KB, 800x1200
Back in the early 90s in NY, outside and far away from NYC, you guys should have seen the amount of trees with these guys in them. Destructive things, but very cute.
Oh, how they all danced in the wind. The trees were like cotton-candy from the top of the canopy to the bottom.
>>
Put it in your Asus. If it stings, it's not a silkworm
>>
>>2148141
That's Steve. He likes eating leaves and long walks on the beach
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 480x388) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 480x388
>>2149592
Looks like they stay cute even as adults
>>
File: 71364894.jpg (245 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
71364894.jpg
245 KB, 1024x577
They're army worms. Although they're usually harmless, but if they multiply too much, it can be bad. If you see a bunch of these nests (shown in pic) in one spot, destroy them. That might sound harsh, but that can fucking destroy plantlife, ultimately killing an entire ecosystem (also shown in pic)
>>
>>2148141
Be prepared to have your life taken over by them.

That's an army worm. They come by the billions.
>>
Those are poisonus actually. They walk in a army-like composition and infest trees until they kill it.

They are harmful for dogs and humans. Dogs can be killed by their poison, and humans can get bruises on skin

Source : I got my dog injured by them, but hopefully my vet saved him

Stay the fuck far from them, and if they infest your propriety call the firefighters to cut their nest out of the tree they decided to destroy
>>
Their name is: Processionary caterpillars
Poisonus and dangerous
>>
>>2151420
>harmless
domestic animals get killed by sniffing them since they're poisonus
>>
>>2152815
Oh
Well, that's good to know I guess
>>
>>2148141
Those are Tent worms.

They're pests.

Kill them.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3744x5616) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3744x5616
>>2152814
>>2152815
You expect me to believe that? They might look a little similar but the differences are clear
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.