[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do authorities make such an effort to identify the animal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2
File: 2016-06-16_1631.png (639 KB, 1030x820) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-16_1631.png
639 KB, 1030x820
Why do authorities make such an effort to identify the animal that kills someone? I don't understand the importance of it.

Not saying I have an opinion. Just curious. They have the body so it can't be that.
>>
>>2147231
identify and kill I should add. Are they afraid it'll crave humans?
>>
if dumbasses crash their car against a tree and die the tree is usually cut down even though the tree didn't cause the accident.
>>
I read this yesterday. It said they killed 5 gators but were going to do some sort of scientific examination on them to see if any of them were the ones that did it.

I think you're actually looking at PR and damage control. They know it's stupid and pointless, but they have an image to protect.

It seemed incredibly shitty to me that they'd go all-out genocide over it. I get that it's not exactly endangered, or cute, or rare, or friendly, but it's still a tad unnecessary to just go all Crocodile Dundee on the lagoon. Sad.
>>
>>2147236
Is that it really? Cause some people think it helps?
>>
>>2147242

It doesn't. This is central Florida. If you see a freshwater body of water, you assume there's an alligator in it. Always. This is standard knowledge. And Orlando itself is a giant fucking swamp. Disney World is built on top of said swamp. They chose that area because the land is cheap. It's like an alligator paradise all over there. Killing 5 gators means nothing. Kill 50 in that lagoon, it still means nothing, because it will repopulate in a few weeks.

Fact is, 10,000,000 people have passed through there without getting eaten by gators. Kind'a like how that kid fell into the gorilla pit after 30 years with zero problems. Sometimes shit just happens and it's not anyone's fault. However, if the news reports are accurate, this was on the tourists for fucking around in the water when it was posted that they shouldn't be.
>>
>>2147231
Humans are easy prey.

once an animal figures this out they'll often start actively hunting humans.
>>
>>2147242
People demand action, especially if a person dies. Even moreso if a kid dies. Did you hear about the incident with the kid in the gorilla enclosure? The gorilla was shot to protect the kid. it's a sucky situation all around, and people are up in arms about it. The mother is getting death threats because a gorilla was killed, the zoo had to react before the kid got hurt or else they'd have both a death and a lawsuit on their hands.

People demand action, even if it's just to make themselves feel better. It was a shit situation all around and the zoo did they best they could with the situation they had. Killing an animal is usually preferable to the whole place being shut down because it's a hazard, and all of the animals within it being displaced or straight up euthanized when the place has to shut down.

Shit sucks.
>>
>>2147252
>This is standard knowledge
there's no such thing as standard knowledge or common sense anymore.
>>
>>2147267
oh fuck off. People died to dumber shit in the past in greater numbers.
>>
>>2147242
See
>>2147253
Literally the only correct answer.
>>
>>2147287

Humans are not easy prey...

We just don't give a fuck. We're the equivalent of a fat seal just rolling around in the ocean not caring about anything whilst being watched by a killer whale.

The absurd part is that we then get pissed of at the killer whale for taking a bite out of us.
>>
>>2147253
Are gators smart enough to figure that? I understand it with big cats or bears and something like that.
>>
>>2147290
You need a some sort of safe haven in that analogy, no? I think people who go to safari or jungle understand that they're enroaching into the wild.
>>
>>2147306
That haven is called indoors.
>>
>>2147304
no, their brain is tiny.
>>
>>2147307
Well I admit I don't live in Australia.
>>
There's a book I read by Gordon Grice, called The Book of Dangerous Animals. In it he talks about how predators are taught by their parents what is good to eat and what isn't. I think he talks about how a lot of cougar attacks are made by animals that were orphaned too early, and not taught humans are a no go. I know reptiles aren't known for their parenting skills, but it makes me think of that shark that inspired Jaws, and kept attacking people. Perhaps it's food source got diminished because it was desperate? Either way, it had to go. May have been a repeat offender. Also really bad PR. Maybe the dad wanted to skin it himself.
>>
So why aren't any of you talking about this child's parent like you did with that boy and harambe?
>>
>>2147355

For one, the dad was wrestling the fucking alligator trying to save the kid. Huge points on that. Also (and this is off topic), but I was reading some Daily Mail article that pretty much copy-pasted his LinkedIn profile because they're absolutely shit reporters. It had the school he graduated from and how long he'd worked at his current employer. Like, seriously, how is that fucking relevant you piss poor excuses for journalists?

.... anyway, I don't remember reading where the mom was aside from early reports of her holding his hand on the shore which were obviously not true.

The point is, the father was there. A parent was on the scene, with the child, wrestling gators, and made the stupid decision to let the child play in the water. But he was still there and not being neglectful. He was just from the dustbowl and probably didn't know "No Swimming" meant "Fucking Alligators Everywhere"
>>
>>2147355

I am.
I am shit talking those cornfed Nebraska retards hard.
Blatant disregard for signage that clearly states "No Swimming".
As in, do not go into the fucking water.
But no. They obviously knew better than the people who put the sign up because it's fucking Florida, home of the scales. Everyone fucking knows that gators don't give two shits about whether a body of water is natural or not.
They just want somewhere to swim and chill.
And those idiots act like the fucking world was made for them.
Goddamn morons.
Their kid paid the price because of mom and dad's raging prideful incompetence.
>>
>>2147236
You cannot genocide an animal species, it's specific terminology for use of humans.
>>
Vengence is a hellaova drug
>>
>>2147253

This is not a fucking video game.

The fucking crocodiles aren't gonna suddenly go out of the water to kill human toddlers.
>>
>>2147402

They didn't "target" anyone. If you go near a fucking bear with cubs or near gators in a lake what do you think is gonna happen

jesus christ
>>
>>2147428

I bet you don't even know the difference :^)
>>
>>2147304
crocodiles in africa have figured out to walk around barricades set up for collecting water and hide on the inside

They aren't dumb and have the capability to learn, they are usually just lazy
>>
>>2147236
Why is /an/ not flooded with facebook posts about poor gators like the Gorilla?
Oh wait because they were all fair weather animal rights activists who only care about cute.
>>
>>2147434
Animals use to stand trial for crimes.
>>
>>2147548

>all animals are equal

>one of our closest endangered relatives with exceptionally high IQs compared to a decent population of reptiles..

I mean come on.
>>
>>2147498
Are you saying crocs are smart because they go into ditches?
>>
>>2147563
I am not an all animals are equal fag and do see the point that gators are far less in trouble that Gorillas.
I am just mad that the situation is still pretty much the same aka a parents being retarded with his child and an animal reacting.
With the Gorilla there was uproars because he was cute, there was uproar as well because he was endangered but not on the same scale.

Five gators getting slaughtered because a parent was retarded and an alligator acted like an alligator is just not right.

Plus I like Alligators.
>>
>>2147570

Nothing you can do sadly. People value human life really weirdly.

People can die for all sorts of shit and we won't give a fuck. Starving kids all over the globe, ISIS literally beheading and blowing shit up...one kid gets killed by an alligator and it makes international news..I mean how many fucking kids in Africa die from mosquitoes? Lions? no one gives a fuck about them.
>>
>>2147577

It's because it's rare. It's "man bites dog" reporting in a nutshell, the only reason this kid dying is of note, instead of any of the other hundreds of children that die on any given day for stupid shit, is because getting eaten by an alligator is
1) Exceptionally violent, if it bleeds, it leads.
2) Alligator attacks on people are rare. Like, they only happen once every few years resulting in death. They had one last year in 2015, and the one before that in Flordia was in 2007.

Frankly, it's the same with crime. Violent crime has gone down by like 50% over the last 20-25 years, but reporting on violent crime has increased 700% over the same period of time. As crime and murder, gun violence and animal attacks become more rare, the news will report them more when they do in fact happen.
>>
>>2147570
Florida fag here, almost every gator attack in this state is related to some dumb fucking tourist getting close to the thing. Gators are fast and can outrun most people, so they don't have problems with autistics and their children.
>>
>>2147645
Those stories make more of an interesting headline and add more ad revenue. News networks and websites are just a big business.
>>
>>2147333
>I think he talks about how a lot of cougar attacks are made by animals that were orphaned too early, and not taught humans are a no go.
This is because we're too bony, apparently.
>>
>>2147400
Fine.
>It seemed incredibly shitty to me that they'd go all-out Shoah over it.
>>
>>2147645
>2) Alligator attacks on people are rare. Like, they only happen once every few years resulting in death. They had one last year in 2015, and the one before that in Flordia was in 2007.
You mean in the US, of course.
>>
>>2147252

>Sometimes shit just happens and it's not anyone's fault.

If I'm not mistaken there were signs posted at the lake saying no swimming and the dad still allowed his son to play in the water.

If that's the case, pragmatically speaking it really was the dad's fault for not listening to the sign.
>>
>>2147700
No, that applies worldwide.
Alligators in other parts of the world virtually never (or possibly legitimately never) kill people.
>>
Any1 find it sketchy the body is intact.
>>
>>2147738
There aren't any alligators in africa.

Also to answer OP's question, it traditionally was to weed out the maneaters. It's pointless and awful to do in situations like this though. Killing animals who eat humans is only warrented when it's an animal specifically causing a weird problem. It'd be reasonable if it was some mountain lion that kept frequenting urban areas and stalking children. It isn't as reasonable when the cause is some retard dragging his child into water full of gators.
>>
>>2147231
The same reason they make such an effort to identify a human that kills someone. For legal purposes.

>>2147232
Basically, you don't want crocodiles to start preying on people regularly do you?
>>
>>2147754
Right?
>Parents were relived to find body intact
More like parents were relived to find the police belived their aligator story.
>>
>>2147548
>gorillas
>cute

Good one, anon.
>>
If you go out of your way to kill all animals that cause harm to humans, then you create a selective pressure which will gradually lead to animals which are benign to humans being the dominant ones around the world. This is best for everyone.
>>
>>2147824
I don't think this would work, since most animals even if predisposed to attack humans will never get the chance to attack one in their lifetimes, and the few that do get killed aren't very significant.
>>
>>2147824
It's policy of the FWC to hunt and kill any gator that is 4 feet or longer that poses a possible risk to people or pets, and the gator population is healthy in Florida with over a million of the things swimming around.
>>
>>2147849
Can't they get over 20 feet long and live over 200 years?
>>
>>2147645
Lol, someone watched Nightcrawler. Did you cross check those movie stats or..?
>>
>>2147885
we have no idea how long alligators can live, they all get killed by people.
>>
>>2147754
Yeah knowing Alligators the boy should be in bits or have all it's bones broken.
They can tear a huge animal to shreds by rollings and tearing it apart yet a child survives.
>>
>>2148718
Alligators are biologically immortal, they do not age, they just get bigger.
I wish someone would try and keep one alive for the longest possible.

In the wild old gators usually die from starvation because they are so big they can't feed themselves or get sick or get killed by something like humans.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3h2CA001rM
I wonder how long Cayman will live.
>>
>>2147498
>le smart but le lazy meme
It seems that crocodiles are just like the average /sci/ user :^)
>>
>>2148728
Yeah, even just a gator biting and pulling something will fuck it right up.
Go watch that boar video and watch how quickly its leg gets torn open.
>>
>>2148862
>You're a fucking moron.
Nice argument faggot maybe back up your reply with some facts rather than sperging out with buzzwords like buggy would do or maybe fuck right off.

Alligators and Crocs do not exhibit senescence which is the gradual deterioration of the body with age.
They instead exhibit exhibit negligible senescence, they show signs of aging they just keep growing bigger and bigger.
These animals are biologically immortal and will only die due to disease, predators and mostly starvation.
So gg faggot.
>>
>>2148862
>You're a fucking moron
no u
>>
>>2148988
they show no signs of aging*
>>
>>2149017
Retard, they never mentioned how it ages or if it ages
>Lifespan
>American alligators may live to about 50 years in the wild. After it is four feet long, an alligator is safe from predators except humans and occasionally other alligators.
Thats the average, I never said they live forever I said they have the potential but usually die from disease, predators or starvation.
The average lifespan is about 50 years old because they get too big to feed themselves due to needing more food and competition from other predators.
Other than they get disease or killed by something else.

They still do not age, they do not deteriorate over their lifespan like a mammal does.
A 50 year gator is as good as a 5 year old gator, he will be just bigger.

There are many sources of Alligators and crocs who live well over the average lifespan.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muja_(alligator)
This dude predates WW2.
Other sources talk about gators with American civil war bullets in their flesh.
>>
>>2149017
>Absolutely no sources to back up their fantastic claims
my only claim was that you're a moron.

asking for sources that say you're a moron would only seem to confirm the obvious.
>>
>>2149590
http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/animal-life/the-worlds-oldest-crocodile-celebrates-his-112th-birthday-in-style-333454.html
>>
>>2149590
Those turtles exhibit negligible senescence just like gators, some flounders do too.
>>2149595
Someone did my job for me.
>>
>>2147770
Alligators are significantly larger and deadlier than freshwater Crocs. Crocs can be a bit more aggressive, but they are more likely to injure than kill. Ocean crocs are legit monsters though.
>>
Because it makes them feel safer. Just like its only APBT dogs that attack people. No point reporting how more labs bite or yappy little fag dogs. I have people cross the road or pick up their child because they think my staffy will attack them.
>>
>>2147290
I'm pretty sure all animals are capable of memory imprinting. Especially something simple like a new food source.
>>
Top kek he deleted his comments.
>>
>>2147290
>The absurd part is that we then get pissed of at the killer whale for taking a bite out of us.
Killer whales in the wild avoid people but I am just being autistic since you are just using it as an example.

Though the fact that wild Killer whales seem fascinated and attracted to human beings yet don't attack has always fascinated me.
Maybe they think we are cute.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.