[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is getting your dog desexed the right thing to do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (19 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19 KB, 384x384
Is getting your dog desexed the right thing to do?
>>
>Desexed
It's not changing their gender, it's just removing the important bits so they can't have offspring.

And yeah, it absolutely is.
>>
File: 20160322_184718-1.jpg (3 MB, 1925x2597) Image search: [Google]
20160322_184718-1.jpg
3 MB, 1925x2597
>>2145458
I just took my boy in. Feel terrible for some reason.
>>
>>2145462
You're a moron if you do. They behave much better when you get them fixed.
>>
>>2145454

Yes.

/thread.

>inb4 some fuckwit comes along.

This goes double for cats.
>>
>>2145462
I felt bad dropping off my little guy for surgery but ultimately it is the right thing. He hasn't changed except he doesn't hump toys or try to fight other males.

It's the best thing for your pup
>>
>>2145462
It's okay. He'll be a better and healthier doggo, and also not live in perpetual sexual frustration because he cannot get his pupper dick wet.
>>
Bob Barker certainly told us so. My parents went along with it and got our two spayed and neutered a while ago, but since then they've decided that they wish they hadn't. These dogs are some of the best animals they've known their entire lives, up their in the ranks of childhood friends and a holocaust companion.

They frequently regret fixing the two of them, so I suggest you live with whatever you're considering for a while before you decide you don't want more of them.
>>
>>2145544
>They frequently regret fixing the two of them
They're idiots. The dogs are the best animals they've known because they're fixed.
>>
>>2145544
We're they the best dogs before or after fixing? If they were the best dogs after, odds say the neutering helped a lot with that.
>>
>>2145546
>>2145550
Not sure but they seem to have the same personalities since before their operations
>>
>>2145546
>>2145550

He means his parents regret not being able to breed them.

>BYB
>>
>>2145565
Oh.

I suppose it is natural when you have a girl and boy doggo to have passing thoughts on what the puppers would look like, but to regret giving your dogs a better life because your wanted to breed them is pretty dumb.
>>
>>2145462
supposedly it does all these things for behaviour but it didn't do shit for my dog

he still humped shit still ran away and liked to explore and roam

didn't make him a better dogo

but thats just my personal experience
>>
OP here. Turns out my poor doggo also has osteoarthritis. He's 9 and a half months old. Could have been him growing too quickly or playing too roughly one some occasions they're not sure. Vet is reccomending a surgery which I'm obviously going to get but does anyone else have experience with this? I don't want him to be in pain his whole life. Will the surgery sort him out until he's old or is it just making it slightly better sometimes?
>>
>>2145748
That's because its 90% training, 10% hormones.

>>2145565
If you can ensure homes for all the pups, what's wrong with breeding your dogs to have one of the pups? There's no laws against it as far as I know, and we did this once with an old girl of ours who had a very sweet temperment. We bred her to a rottweiler and the puppies turned out great, and a couple are still kicking with old family friends.
>>
>>2145776
Don't have any advice but just want to say I'm so sorry for your pup. That's awfully young to get a long term disease :( hopefully the surgery helps him out
>>
>>2145792
>If you can ensure homes for all the pups, what's wrong with breeding your dogs to have one of the pups?
In my opinion, it's unethical to breed dogs that have genetic disorders/health problems, or poor conformation that they could pass on to pups.

So the problem with people breeding their dogs is that usually they don't do so with the health/genetic robustness of the future generations in mind.

That said, if someone ensures that the dogs they are breeding are healthy and robust, I see nothing wrong with breeding them as long as they can guarantee homes for the puppies.
>>
>>2145748
>He thinks fixing your dog is supposed to train it too
>>
>>2145792

True and if we lived in a society that didn't have millions of stray/abandoned/abused dogs I would agree with you. But we do, so I have a blanket ban on any BYB. It just fucks me off.
>>
>tfw my pup doesn't have any behavior issues
>tfw the breeder told us to get him neutered between 12 and 18 months
>tfw it kinda breaks my heart, but it's probably for the best
>tfw he's 8 months old now, so only about 4~10 months before he will be neutered
>>
>>2145929

It's not just "for the best", which it is. It's also a form of security.
Breeders put time and money behind getting their dogs to express a certain set of genetic markers that they specifically breed for and consider desirable.
They're protecting their money.
Since they can't copyright genes, they make you sign an agreement to sterilize the pupper asap.
Free market, amirite?
>>
>>2145776

Yep. He outgrew himself.
Poor pupper.
>>
>>2145454
>>2145458
that's fucking terrible, they get fat as fuck,
>>
Yes and no.
I get my females spayed primarily for convenience and security. I don't want to deal with blood or the potential of her getting pregnant. It also makes it so I don't ever have to worry about pyometra occurring.

However, you're still altering hormones. This may have other effects, though it seems to carry more problems for males and larger breeds.

I don't neuter the boys. If they are well trained and managed, the "sexual frustration" meme shouldn't be an issue. There are females in heat where I work often and my boy comes to work with me every day. There are also unaltered males in kennels right beside the in-heat females. It's not that big of a deal.

You up their risks of prostate cancer and get lower their testosterone. Think of the effects low testosterone has on human men; similar applies to dogs. My 10 yr old, unneutered male still has good muscle tone, energy, etc. and despite being a lab is not flabby or overweight (part of this is due to proper management though). In larger breeds the altering also risks the chance of bone cancers (which large breeds are already more prone to), so that is to be considered also.

Here is a good PDF: http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
>>
>>2146146
>Calls spaying and neutering "altering"
You're just as bad as those anti-vaccine nut jobs.
>>
yes.

the individual health effects are irrelevant, there's way too many dogs and the pet overpopulation needs to be fixed while it's still possible.
>>
>>2145454

Some times it helps with their temper, some times it doesn't.

The best to make a dog a functional member of the family is to take it in early, train it properly, and provide stimulation and activities.

With male cats, it absolutely helps quite a bit, but for dogs, it doesn't always, and even things like them humping random peoples' legs isn't always gonna stop.
>>
>>2145914
I think that's why they chose the rotty they bred her too, he was a stud of a dog and pretty athletic. They also had all the pups spayed and neutered before giving them away, so I don't think they just did it lightly, I think they just REALLY wanted a pup from her.
>>
>>2146152
That's what it's called??
When I license my animals they say something like "non-altered animals: $fee". It includes both spaying and neutering in one term. Idg the issue.
>>
Depends on the breed, my mastiff for instance will look like a 60 year old lesbian if I neuter him.
>>
>>2146154
This can be achieved by PROPERLY TRAINING AND MANAGING YOUR FUCKING ANIMALS SO THAT THEY ARE NOT FUCKING ANIMALS.
>>
>>2145792
>If you can ensure homes for all the pups, what's wrong with breeding your dogs to have one of the pups?
Shelters are overflowing with dogs of all breeds and mixes. Healthy well behaved dogs are being euthanized daily. Any BYB puppy that goes to a home is a dead shelter dog that could have been adopted.
And the puppy that you bred might also have the same fate, as many people are idiots who get cute puppies and don't realize the amount of time and care they need and destruction they can cause, and once they're not cute puppies anymore get rid of them.
>>
Just go for a vasectomy/ovary-sparing spay, it's harmful to a dog's body to completely remove those hormones
>>
>>2146553

>animals
>making them not animals

I don't understand.
Accidents happen.
No trainer or dog is perfect.
What about this upsets you so much?
>>
>>2146565
But those shelter dogs are not my fault nor responsibility. If I'm taking the time to ensure that twelve pups have good, stable homes before they are even born, and I'm using my own money to spay and neuter them, and I'm taking health into consideration as well, then why is it still wrong? Just because you feel bad for a few shelter dogs that couldn't get homes? Sure, I might have been able to save maybe one or two dogs by not having pups, but that doesn't fix the actual problem of irresponsible, misinformed owners who go through dogs like they go through trash bags.
>>
My chocolate lab is 8 now, still has his balls, I think because my dad is stubborn. Honestly, he's very well behaved and calm. He loves to play and wrestle. He has had some fur/skin problems but I really hope that's unrelated. He is a pure bred so it's common.
>>
>>2146637
If you are making dogs for the sake of making dogs, that is shitty. If you don't understand what that means, then you're guilty of it.
>>
>>2146666
>making dogs for the sake of making dogs.

I don't intend to do this (yet, maybe never), but did you not read any of my previous posts? I feel like your just arguing your point just to argue because it 'doesn't feel right' to you.
>>
>>2146595
>so they are not fucking animals
>fucking means sex
>so they do not have sex with other animals
>>
File: 1454212047988.jpg (280 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1454212047988.jpg
280 KB, 2048x1365
>>2146553
>training animals not to have sex

Yeah, good luck with that. Next you can train them not to salivate.
>>
>>2145963
Only if you sit on 4chan all day instead of exercising them, you fat fuck.
>>
>>2146872
Training so they obey recalls, do not roam, etc.
Managing so they are not left in a position where an intact dog and in heat female are unsupervised.
>>
>>2146872
Introduce them to 4chan. Guaranteed they will become permavirgins
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.