[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know that invasive species are bad 99% percent of the time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1437525476704s.jpg (11 KB, 201x250) Image search: [Google]
1437525476704s.jpg
11 KB, 201x250
I know that invasive species are bad 99% percent of the time but if you had to introduce a species into a continent/country it didn't inhabit that you thought would help the ecosystem or not do any harm what animal and place would you move it to. I would put tapirs or cassowarys in the rain forests of Africa.
>>
>>2142300
I'm curious, why?
>>
>>2142300
There's no point putting anything in Africa, it'll only get poached. Rainforests are high-biodiversity habitats and there are probably too many variables that will affect getting a species established (also cassowaries primarily eat specific blue fruits, they don't exist in Africa). Deserts are a little simpler though, just look at all the feral camels that took over Australia.

To answer your question, I suppose I'd introduce highly venomous spiders to China, South Asia, the Middle East and Africa, just a little bit of population control. That definitely counts as helping the ecosystem.
>>
I'd put koalas in california.
There are a shitload of invasive eucalyptus here. I mean what the fuck consequences could something as specialized as feral koalas have?

>>2142453
Seeing as spiders virtually never kill humans, that probably wouldn't work great.
>>
>>2142300
While most invasives are bad, some are thought to replace an extinct niche or will accidentally fill an unknown niche that has helped the environment.

In many parts of Florida and eastern North America, Quaker Parrots have become the most successful parrot introduced into the wild. Although they are non native, some speculate that they've filled the empty niche of the extinct Carolina Parakeet.

In parts of North America, again, the introduced Italian Wall Lizard has grown in steady populations. These guys have filled niches in areas that natives don't usually go to. This allows both native and non native to coexist. And as well as that The Italian Wall Lizard is not ignored by predators, it is still at the same level on the trophic mode as all the other lizards and it's population stays in check.

These are VERY rare coincidences of non natives not wrecking an entire environment, which is usually the case. I do not recommend intentionally introducing animals non native to your area for the repercussions that could follow.
>>
>>2142300
I would introduce garter snakes to Ireland.
>>
>>2142523
How the fuck did that place go for so long without native snakes?
>>
>>2142300
i'd probably introduce endangered animals in areas they could live easier? It's hard to tell since they wouldn't be used to the areas they live in
>>2142469
koalas don't eat nearly enough to kill the trees, but it might be nice to see their population grow
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.