[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Killing cowbirds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: cowbirdegg.jpg (2 MB, 1959x1469) Image search: [Google]
cowbirdegg.jpg
2 MB, 1959x1469
Coming here because of this thread: >>>/r9k/29124864

Op found a nest with a cowbird egg and apparently if he removes it the mother might sperg out and hurt the other eggs. Is there a normal way to remove cowbirds? Someone suggested boiling it and putting it back.
>>
A what?
>>
Why would you remove it? It's just a natural part of the cycle as any other thing. You don't purposefully kill any birds of prey you see to save bunnies do you?
>>
>>2140583
No clue either, sounds like a cuckoo situation.

Also got to agree with the anon above, don't fuck with nature. Leave it alone.
>>
>>2140590
it's a parasitic dick bird. you don't leave tapeworms in dogs do you?
>>
>>2140608
These wild birds are not your responsibility like your pet dog.

Cowbirds are not an invasive species. They are not a detriment to the environment. They help keep it in balance by keeping the number of other birds in check.

Again, removing them is as silly as killing predators to "save" prey animals.

Don't let your feelings cloud rational judgement.
>>
>>2140615
there's nothing rational about your judgement. you just have an arbitrary attachment to noninterference like i have an arbitrary attachment to saving non dick birds from dick birds
>>
>>2140621
So I guess hawks are "murderous dick-birds" because they kill other birds.

Your aversion to cowbirds is simply based on emotion and anthropomorphism. You're projecting your human feelings and morals onto them. Sure you might "save" a few sparrows, but you also kill the cowbird, and in turn affect the balance of the natural ecosystem.
>>
>>2140625
>So I guess hawks are "murderous dick-birds" because they kill other birds.
nah they're honest about it

>Your aversion to cowbirds is simply based on emotion and anthropomorphism.
Yes. Your aversion to killing cowbirds is simply based on emotion and listening to too many hippies.

I really doubt that brood parasites are the lynchpin holding birds down and there's nothing else that can shift into that niche. If they go all hitchcock on us after cowbirds are wiped out then I'll apologize to you.
>>
>>2140625
>Your aversion to cowbirds is simply based on emotion and anthropomorphism.
OP basically claims ownership of birds who live on his property. Is there a problem now? He wants sparrows, not a cowbird living beside him. But it is known that cowbirds may destroy the nest altogether if he removes the egg. So is there a way to avoid that?
>>
File: bluebird_hosp_attack_lg.jpg (133 KB, 838x687) Image search: [Google]
bluebird_hosp_attack_lg.jpg
133 KB, 838x687
leave it

sparrows are dicks that we need less of

here's the type of damage sparrows do to other birds just to steal the nest
>>
File: 1465335743273.jpg (471 KB, 1348x996) Image search: [Google]
1465335743273.jpg
471 KB, 1348x996
>this thread
>>
dont fuck with the cowbird egg.

if you remove it there is a real possibility that the cow bird will destroy the nest , in order to force the host bird to re nest and it will then deposit another egg in that nest.
>>
>>2140709
won't the baby cowbird kill the others anyway?
>>
>>2140719
nope. that would be counter productive to their breeding strategy. .
>>
>>2140720
there are definitely other brood parasites that do. birds are too dumb to stop feeding you even if you push all the other babies out of the nest
>>
>>2140654
Wait is it a sparrow nest in question? Aren't they actually the invasive species?

>>2140632
The OP could just cut out the middle man and destroy the nest.
>>
Are you people seriously discussing how to murder a baby cowbird because of what it's mother did? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Capture the mother cowbird and keep her locked up in a cage for a few months as punishment for her crime. In the meantime take the cowbird egg to your vet and try to find placement in a foster family
>>
File: image.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
>>>/r9k/29124864

>all of those robots saying "wow even BIRDS cuck other BIRDS LOL WHO KNEW"

>cuckold
>cuck
>cuckoo
>cuckoo bird
>>
>>2140615
>These wild birds are not your responsibility like your pet dog.
you are man, ruler of the world. Deciding who lives and who dies i what we do in a daily basis, we hold the power to destroy the world ten times, those who pose a threath to us suffer mercyless deaths.
Take your place in the food chain as the bird god, take or give life as you please
>>
>>2140566
dude, leave the fucking birds alone. jesus christ. they're not bothering anyone. if you cared about the environment you would live completely differently. you just wanna kill animals
>>
>>2140740
>We hold the power to destroy the world
>'we'
No, you don't.
>>
>>2140740
>>2140632
Nah pretty sure it's probably illegal to do any of that where you live
>>
File: cowbird threads.png (351 KB, 1305x892) Image search: [Google]
cowbird threads.png
351 KB, 1305x892
>>
>>2140740
*teleports behind you
*unsheathes katana
>tch....nothin' personnel, kid
>>
>>2140740
Kek
>>
>>2140615
>They are not a detriment to the environment. They help keep it in balance by keeping the number of other birds in check.
you stupid shit, due to farming and land development cowbirds are doing unnaturally well for themselves and an unnatural amount of damage to other songbird populations.
>>
>apparently if he removes it the mother might sperg out and hurt the other eggs.
that's not a thing
>Is there a normal way to remove cowbirds?
take the egg and put it literally anyplace that is not a birds nest. mission accomplished.
>>
>>2141878
>It seems that brown-headed cowbirds periodically check on their eggs and young after they have deposited them. Removal of the parasitic egg may trigger a retaliatory reaction termed "mafia behavior". According to a study by the Florida Museum of Natural History published in 1983, the cowbird returned to ransack the nests of a range of host species 56% of the time when their egg was removed. In addition, the cowbird also destroyed nests in a type of "farming behavior" to force the hosts to build new ones. The cowbirds then laid their eggs in the new nests 85% of the time
>>
>>2140739
I dont know if you know this but the world cuckhold comes from cuckoo birds.
That may be the point you are trying to make though.
>>
File: character eric.png (111 KB, 311x348) Image search: [Google]
character eric.png
111 KB, 311x348
>>2140740
What is megalomania?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania
>>
>>2142043
That's exactly the point. Robots are so stupid they don't even know the true meaning or origin of a word they love to use every sentence.
>>
>>2142070
Well /r9k/ is a containment board.
>>
>>2140739
holy kek
>>
>>2140625
Hawks are absolutely murderous dick birds and should be wiped out wherever they're found. The recovery of Red-tailed hawks was one of the worst things possible for wildlife, not to mention farm animals like chickens and pets. Nature is not muh Lion King magic circle. Most predators are nothing more than useless parasites upon ecosystems. Also, non-interference to benefit parasites, predators and death is the stance of a sociopath and a coward. You're not a morally superior person because you allowed nature in all its flawed ways to make yet another creature's life a living hell or end it entirely. This is literally a justification for slavery, rape, murder and cannibalism and it holds about as much weight.
>>
>>2140659
thanks mate I had a laugh
>>
File: House Sparrow Nest.jpg (113 KB, 940x705) Image search: [Google]
House Sparrow Nest.jpg
113 KB, 940x705
>>2140625
>>2140632
>>2140654
>>2140723
Those aren't House Sparrow eggs, which the species I'm guessing you guys are implying. I'm pretty sure those aren't ANY Sparrow eggs. They look like House Finch eggs, which may or may not be native, depending on where OP lives.
>>
wait will the baby cowbird kill the sparrows? will the mother kill all the sparrows if OP lets the cowbird egg stay in the nest?
>>
>>2142029
Well the solution is simple here: shoot the adult too. Asshole behavior like this should not be tolerated.
>>
>>2143092
They're not Sparrows, but the Cowbird chicks tend to be larger than the host's and will rob them of food, starving them to death.
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 225x225
>>2143078
>complains about murder and death
>advocates for more murder and death in the same post

How about you just kill yourself. That would probably be exponentially more beneficial than killing a single cowbird egg.
>>
>>2143101
Do you kill every animal you deem having "asshole behavior"? Do spiders that cannibalize their mates count? Gorillas and lions because they commit infanticide? How about straight up any and all predation?
>>
Jesus Christ all you fucked anons that get all worked up over shit like wanting to kill a goddamn cowbird (a fucking dick bird if there ever was one) make me want to wretch. Anons??? More like pussies!
>>
>>2143119
>Hurr u not allowed to kill a murder to stop murder
Why do faggots still exist in 2016? Haven't we found a cure for you yet?

>>2143120
>Do you kill every animal you deem having "asshole behavior"?
No, mostly because I have my own life to live, not because I agree that nature should be left to its own sadistic and carnal devices.

>Gorillas and lions because they commit infanticide?
Absolutely. Infanticide is intolerable. I've always hated brown bears and lions for this. But the thing is, it isn't necessary to exterminate them. They could just be retrained. Many animals are kept in captivities as friends and companions as this thread shows. But what a lot of you edgechildren don't understand is that this happens in the wild also. Not everything is always trying to kill everything else. That's a bullshit view of nature you picked up from watching too much horror (gore) fiction.

>How about straight up any and all predation?
I would love to see that ended on this planet. At the very least in the megafauna. I realize that pisses off you edgy children to the high heavens though, even though most of you don't give a rat's ass about the ongoing species extinctions occurring because of your own daily actions. You faggots just like predators, because you're like them.
>>
>>2140740
John Hammond pls..
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.