[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
moving with cat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 0506162323a.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
0506162323a.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
I'm moving and have some questions about whether to take my cat, Erdos, or not.

Last year some dick like 4 or 5 blocks away moved and left their cats (6 I think) with an open large bag of dry food to fend for themselves. One found its way into the trailer in the backyard that I was living in, so I named it Erdos ( after the mathematician noted for randomly showing up to stay on his peers doorsteps) and built a cat door for it and left food out for it and it hung out with me a lot and really seemed to like me but would sometimes not show up for a week.

I lost that place, but the landlord promised to keep food and water for the cat in the garage (and let the cat in during the winter if need be). But I only moved a block up the alley and I have a door to the back yard and even though he doesn't like my roomates dog Erdos shows up maybe 3 nights a week to sleep on my chest and purr and eat the food I leave on the shelf.

Now I'm moving maybe 7 blocks away and I'm going to miss Erdos so bad. The thing is, its a 3rd floor studio and can't figure an easy cat door setup.

Erdos is almost a 'barn cat' but I really want to grab him and lock him in my new place ( with a litter , of course) so he's familiar with it and then,let him,out and try and train him to use the downstairs neighbors window as a,way to my place. Or at least he'll know where to find me - it's well within his range from my original place where he still has food and,shelter.

So, is trying to turn an outdoor, independent cat into a mostly indoor one an idea that can work or am I just being selfish?
>>
I have never had a problem with turning an outdoor cat not an I door. The first night or two yeah it tends to be terrible but give them attention, care, and it should be no issue. Honestly the first night is the worst buy after converting five of them, I've had no issue after the first one or two days.
>>
>>2137900
How 'outdoor' were they? This is basically a stray that adopted me.

Even before moving from the trailer he moved into hen it wasn't serious winter (by which I mean northern plains -15 below before windchill) its not unusual to go a week or two without seeing him - and I'm only assuming he will use a litter box (he did poop inside once, the first week I had him when I accidentally locked him in for 15 hours - I built a ramp to an open window that very night)

I also think, that after even say 10 days locked inside when I do let him out, he'll run off and have no way back in. I know he can get by by himself and dont want to lose him, but i don't want to hold him prisoner all the time either especially since I work a lot, and in the future may work hitches (14 days away fro home in the field, 14 days home) and don't want him to lose his street smarts and connections he gets by on now
>>
second day bump:

Is it difficult to train a, say, 2 year old outdoor cat to use a litter box or will it be more of less natural?

I can't be having Erdos shitting all over my new pad, It's the nicest place I've had in years
>>
>>2138087
It shouldn't be a problem, cat's are pretty natural with litter boxes.
You could do a dry run now; shut him in your current place with a litter box and see if he uses it.
Though it sounds like he'll be happy with whatever, as long as he's with you.
>>
>>2138087
You might want to set up a litter in every room to be on the safe side. Also you should probably apply a flea treatment when you move him indoors, and schedule a vet checkup, get him chipped and such. He's your cat, don't half-ass it
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.