[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you feed your cats cat food? I'm thinking of getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 1459422451350.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1459422451350.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
Do you feed your cats cat food? I'm thinking of getting one but I dont feel like giving it a mass of industrial gruel to keep him alive will make him happy.

What do they eat normally and that one could easily feed it? Tuna?
>>
Cat food is made in a lab to have everything a cat needs to survive. Buy fancy feast if you think your pet is too good for dry food.
>>
>>2137633
Or kill it a songbird or a vole every morning. Up to you.
>>
>>2137633
>survive

yeah i know but would you be happy eating some bland gruel like soylent or the matrix meal?

>>2137634
yeah i know they eat rats and birds... but something more doable in our context.
>>
>>2137626
Just let your cat outside and let it catch a squirrel or something.

It's a win-win situation.
>>
>>2137637
Cats will eat literal garbage. I've never seen a cat not be fucking thrilled to wolf down a can of wet food.
>>
>>2137626
My cat won't shut the fuck up if he isn't eating dry food 24/7
>>
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/your-cats-nutritional-needs-the-basics
http://fnae.org/basics.html
>>
>>2137626
>>2137637
Cats or dogs eating food made for them eat better and healthier than their owners most of the time.
>>
Cats aren't people. They don't have the same feelings you do. Stop personifying them, it's not good for you or any cat you potentially own.
>>
>>2137640
yah that seems a good option but only if living in a farm or something

>>2137641
well thats the other extreme. they might not get all they need by eating trash.

>>2137642
here where i live they have cats and they make noise all the time. all their owners do is give them food and nothig else. sometimes when they are making quite a scandal i let them into my room and all they fucking want is attention. to play. some contact. they just rub themselves against me or the wall and try to cuddle in my bed. what is wrong with people?

>>2137677
im not saying theyre people but that doesnt mean theyre objects. do you even empathy?
>>
>>2137684
Go ask a vet if you don't trust randos on the internet. They will tell you to feed your cat cat food like a normal person.
>>
>>2137647
thanks that seems very informative and useful.
>>
>>2137686
well yeah of course, how else would they make a living? im not saying thats false but thats just using the damn cat as a toy. i dont want a toy, im over that.
>>
>>2137690
90% you're trolling at this point, but if you're just really dumb, please don't get a cat. It'll end up dead from malnutrition.
>>
>>2137626
>What do they eat normally and that one could easily feed it? Tuna?

A diet of tuna will leave cats severely malnourished and eventually kill them. It may seem pure and natural to you, but cats do not live in the middle of the ocean and catch 7ft long predatory fish that outweigh them by hundreds of pounds. It's nutritionally incomplete and should only be given as a treat, or in the form of commercial cat food which has the missing micronutrients added back in (the fact cat food is made in a factory isn't just because they're adding scary-industrial-processed-byproduct-woo-woo-chemical-bullshit, they also add essential amino acids like taurine that cats actually need in their industrial gruel so they don't go blind or die).

Cats eat small birds and rodents. You can feed your cat frozen chicks/mice/baby rabbits/etc if you have the time and money to do a whole-prey raw diet, or you can just buy them a good quality cat food, but don't just feed them exclusively human-quality meat/fish under the impression you're doing something nice for them. They're supposed to eat small whole prey, and good cat food will replicate that better than a steak or a can of tuna.
>>
>>2137694
>>2137702
yah i dont think ill get one at all anyway...the thought just crossed my mind cause there not well treated here. maybe ill go live in a farm someday.
>>
File: 1207131402-00.jpg (218 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1207131402-00.jpg
218 KB, 1280x960
>>2137684
Nah, I live in the suburbs and my cat loves to eat game she catches. She brings it to the backdoor and even shares with me.

I feel sorry for all you schmucks that don't get to experience such true companionship.
>>
File: 1207131402-01.jpg (281 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1207131402-01.jpg
281 KB, 1280x960
>>2137711
What a classy lady, right?
>>
File: 1207131502-00.jpg (280 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1207131502-00.jpg
280 KB, 1280x960
>>2137712
She left me the worst part, but it's the thought that counts, right?
>>
>>2137715

so do you eat it?
>>
File: 0714130941-01.jpg (354 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
0714130941-01.jpg
354 KB, 1280x960
>>2137716
I'd be rude not to!

I didn't eat the mouse though.
>>
>>2137711
cool cat man. im jelly.
>>
Cats usually eat the brains of their small prey first because they are loaded with taurine and cats need a lot of taurine. After that, they usually go for the entrails next (minus the gall bladder). Lastly, the muscle meat. The entrails have the most nutrients. Please do not feed your cat a significant amount of tuna. It is not good for them.

Go to a "boutique" or mom n pop pet store (mostly just avoid big chains like PetCo or PetSmart or whatever because they usually don't carry the better brands) and start reading labels. Ignore the pictures of cats bounding through green fields and ignore the brand names ("Healthy Cat" or "Best Friend" or "If You Really Love Your Cat You Will Buy This Food" or "Actually Just A Small Tiger" or whatever con-artist name they can come up with).

The best foods for cats won't have any grains in it (cats don't eat ANY grain and some of them are allergic to it) and will have the first ingredient be some kind of animal protein. But not "meal". For example, don't choose a food with the first ingredient as "chicken meal". That is a code word for "shit-tier floor sweepings from the McDonalds factory".

"By-products" are just fine (even though they sound gross) because they are entrails, which - as we noted earlier - are the cat's chosen food.

There are actual industry-wide definitions for many terms you will find on the label. You might be surprised.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/selecting-a-good-commercial-pet-food/
>>
I feed my cats the store brand cat food that Costco carries. Kirkland Signature "maintenance cat" in a blue bag, I think. It actually has really good ingredients for a food that comes off as being fairly generic. Bonus points: as far as I know, they've never been the subject of a pet food recall which, at this point, is pretty rare.
>>
>>2137722
She's so whiny, lazy, fat, and hates most people and nearly every other cat or animal. I do love her very much, though. She loves me petting her, will come whenever I start calling, refuses to jump the fence to go into the backyard and insists upon me opening the front or back door and letting her walk through to the other.
>>
>>2137684
I love on my cat alot, but we both enjoy being alone too so it's cool
>>
Cats don't have the same tastebuds as humans. As long as they eat, they're content. And you can always give treats or mix up different kibbles sometimes.
>>
>>2137640
>A third to a fifth of life expectancy
>Win-win
Yeah, no.
>>
>>2138483
[citation needed]

In either case, if your cats keep dying when they go outside, raise smarter cats.
>>
>>2137626
I do a small can of wet food twice a day, dry food available all the time, chipmunks whenever he can be bothered to go out and catch one.

He's a fairly large cat though, if your cat is smaller they might get fat.
>>
>>2138485
average lifespan for an outdoor cat is 1.

average lifespan for an indoor cat is 13.

outdoor cats lose 92% of their lifespan.
>>
>>2137633
Is there human food made in a lab to have everything I need to survive?
I'd love to not have to think about food anymore.
>>
>>2139132
https://www.soylent.com/
>>
most of my ferals like eating dead birds and rats

they also enjoyed killing all of my grandmother's Koi not eating just bringing em out of the water to watch em suffocate

my cats are indoor outdoor ferals I've tamed normally I just leave em a cup of cat food and they're all happy granted one is overweight because we neutered him too soon (its fuckin hard telling a feral kitten's age sometimes) and the other is a crosseyed killer who brings us dead animals and once brought a fucking live bird from who the fuck knows where, all I know it aint native to the california valley. the third is a black cat who knows that if she meows I'll come pet her and giver her food and the last is a kitten I call Tiger because of his stripes

just play and love your cats and they'll be happy as long as you don't feed them nasty shit I'm pretty sure they'll enjoy what you can get them unless your cat has the personality of Gordon Ramsay.
>>
>>2139008
What about in/out cats that come and go as they please in an area without heavy traffic or predators?
>>
>>2139136
Can you actually survive on a diet of nothing but Soylent and water?
That'd be very interesting to try
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.