[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What to ask/do when buying a dog
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: beagle-puppy444.jpg (18 KB, 582x354) Image search: [Google]
beagle-puppy444.jpg
18 KB, 582x354
Hey /a/, I'm thinking of getting a dog for the first time since I was a kid, this will be my first dog alone so I have no idea what to do and ask for when visiting someone that happens to be selling their puppies (assuming not everyone is a breeder)

Can you suggest some basic questions and things I should be concerned of or observe?

How do you even choose when presented with about super nice puppies? Sounds hard.
>>
I would ask how big they will get, average energy level of each puppy, genetic problems, and the history of the mom and dad.
>>
>>2131283
Oh and also vaccine status/fixed status.
>>
>>2131284
How old do they need to be before vaccination? I asked this fishy ad on Craigslist with only one picture to tell me if the puppy was vaccinated or if he even had more pictures.

Got a "No puppy 2months" as response
>>
>>2131289
Well they aren't vaccinated that young if I remember right it starts at about 3 or 4 months also if you want a puppy, I would check shelters first because it's puppy season!
>>
>>2131282
Pick a puppy that's curious, makes a lot of noises, jumps, runs and doesn't mind being handled, don't take the one pup that stays alone in a corner unless you'll have extra time for socialization and will take him to puppy classes and stuff. Don't do that bullshit alpha roll thing.

>>2131289
>>2131290
>3 or 4 months
pls
7~8 weeks is when they should have their first vaccine. Then there's a bunch more every month or so, or more often, that'll depend on your vet I guess.
>>
>>2131289
Are you just wanting a mix puppy? If so go to the pound. If you are buying a purebred dog of craigslist you are already doing it wrong.
>>
>>2131290
Already checked what's up for adoption in my city and there are only four or five real old dogs. Honestly I don't think I could handle and old dog with some kind of condition, even if I love the idea of adopting an old one and give them some quality life in their last years I don't think I'm there yet.

>>2131322
It doesn't have to be PURE blood but I'd like a Siberian Husky I don't mind much if they are mixed but I've seen a couple ads with pictures of the parents and the other pups and such. Where do you think I should look?

Last time I wrote to a breeder it set off some red flags and it ended being a scam. The email was hilarious so maybe I'll paste it here.
>>
>>2131322
Email from the scammers mentioned here
>>2131435

---
Hello!
I am the one you contacted regarding the Sweet quality Siberian
husky puppies that i placed on adoption.

Thanks for contacting me regarding my puppies .They each come
registered,Wee wee pad trained,Shots are up to date. They love people.
Really sweet puppies,3months old.They have wonderful personalities,and
are very sweet.They are very well natured, and hardly ever barks and
they just love to kiss people.
I am trying to place them in a very loving home as soon as i find one.
They are still available and they are male and female

Just would love to know how their new home will look like so i will be
very glad if you could provide me with more info's about your family.

Thanks and will be expecting your reply as soon as possible
Regards.
>>
>>2131435
>Siberian Husky

You understand what you're in for right? They are sled dogs, and as far as breeding goes, where not really bred for much else, so they don't look to their handler for guidance/learning.

So you are combining extremely high energy with not great willingness to pay attention to you. Not a good choice for a somewhat first time owner.

Honestly, something like an off colored german shepherd would probably fit you better. They are a little high energy, but not nearly as much. They are also very willing to please and they still got that wolfish quality look about them.
>>
>>2131439
That's actually signs of a good breeder, them wanting to see your home. It means they care about where their puppies are ending up which means they'll be less likely to end up I'm the pound later. Three months is also right around the time when their critical learning period is over and they've learned sone bite inhibition, and they are potty trained.

I don't see why you thought they were a scam unless the pups are like $400 or less. Just make sure she can provide documents and ask about the parents health records.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160526-223421.png (312 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160526-223421.png
312 KB, 1440x2560
>>2131443
It's a well known con tactic I've seen around before but not with dogs.

They ask this and then send you pictures of the dogs that are free to adopt, you only have to pay the shipping generally through wire transfer. Also checked the email online to be sure and found pic related
>>
>>2131289
They can get distemper vaccines at 2 months old (you should not be buying a puppy any earlier than that). You would need to get 3 distemper shots; the initial, the booster and the 1 year, all roughly 2-3 weeks apart. Puppy immune system is weak, and not getting worked up to the one year shot would leave the dog at risk of getting parvo.

Rabies shot can not be administered until 3 months of age, again due to weak immune system.

If you are buying a puppy with no vaccines and not spayed, don't pay more than $50. No kidding. You can get one with all the works for $200.

>>2131435
Where do you live?
>>
>>2131488
Quebec, Canada. There's a site more popular than Craigslist here called Kijiji where I can find puppies but I've seen to ran out of luck as most are already taken, scam or too far for me to go (no car)
>>
>>2131541
>no car
If you don't have a car, how would you take the dog to the vet in an emergency? This just doesn't sounds like a good idea at all for you right now.
>>
>>2131652
I'm sure he's got people he could call or roommates.

I don't have a car, but I have ten people on my phone I could call up in the middle of the night, and my vet has given me her home number if ever I needed it. And that's not including neighbours.
>>
>>2131657
Or taxi, which is not that crazy either in Canada.
>>
>>2131657
>>2131666
Most of the time that would be okay, but in extreme emergencies (GDV comes to mind) waiting for a ride could be the difference between life and death
>>
>>2131724
The vet is three buildings away but I see your point.
>>
>>2131541
Kijiji are 90% scams and the rest are dogs from mills or similar situations where their living space is so horrific that they need to ship puppies elsewhere so people don't see where they come from.

If you are serious about a puppy,s far as I see it there are three options; shelter puppy, a puppy from a responsible breeder, or finding a free puppy. If you are paying money for a puppy from a shit breeder you are only making that practice more profitable.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.