[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dog/ - Dog General: Overpriced food edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: fromm-dogfood.jpg (16 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
fromm-dogfood.jpg
16 KB, 300x300
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Previous thread:
>>2111481
>>
>>2129712
never heard of this brand
>>
What is a good way to teach a young(soon 10 week) pup not to pull the leash on walks like a madman? So far I've tried changing direction, stopping and sitting down until he calms down but it hasn't helped much.
>>
>>2130007

Gr8 b8 m8.
>>
>>2130007
You just stop in your tracks as soon as he starts pulling. Then just wait until he stops pulling. As soon as there's slack in the leash again, start walking again.

This can be tedious and some dogs take longer than others to learn, but it works. Just stick with it, be consistent and patient.
>>
>>2130021
Thank you, I'll try this. I don't expect miracles with a pup this young but not having a tractor in the other end of the leash would make walks a lot more pleasant.
>>
>>2130007
It's still a puppy, pick a method and stick with it. It will take a while, but it will take even longer if you switch it around.
>>
I feed my dog Fromm Heartland Gold. He seems to really like it.
>>
What daily medication(s) do your dog take?
>>
My dog has IHMA and is at the vet right now going through stuff. My mom and I spent almost seven hours with her yesterday and into this morning with her at the regular vet and the emergency room. Her situation was bad and around 3AM we were called and told she was getting worse but they were still trying so we went up there to see her and give the go ahead to put her down.

When we got there she was extremely responsive and alert, so my mom and I argued for half an hour on whether to do it or not. I wanted to try what we could because I can't give up on my best friend, you know. My mom didn't really want to either, so she had a blood transfusion and we took her to get an ultrasound, but we got a call that they didn't find anything. The good news is that her red cell count only dropped 2% instead of the 10% it dropped this morning, and they say she's doing way better right now. We're about to go see her and talk about options.

Did we do the right thing? Neither of us want her to suffer at all and the vet said she isn't and won't be in any pain. She'll just feel weak if she relapses or something goes wrong.

It all started yesterday morning and I don't think I've cried as much as I have in my entire 25 years as I have in the past 12 hours. I don't entirely know if we did the right thing, you know? We both said that if she had been like comatose or something when we went to decide that it would've been better for her, but we are just trying for her. She has improved and even though the vet said chances are low, I have to believe she can fight through this and it's only a passing thing for now. Am I wrong? I don't know what is best for her right now and what we should do, really.
>>
>>2130327
I don't think you're wrong personally. I would fight to the end if I saw my dog fighting too. Since your dog seemed responsive to you and your mom I don't think she wants to go yet. Of course the decision rests on you but I don't blame you because I would do the same.
>>
>>2130338

Right after I posted this my mom came to wake my up saying her regular vet (a guy that has helped our family animals for forty years now) called and said we did the right thing and that we should not put her to sleep and let no one talk us into it at any time. He said that if she does go it should be at home with us.

It is good to hear that after doubt and sorrow that we made the right choice.
>>
>>2130340
>He said that if she does go it should be at home with us.

I'm sure your dog would like that.
>>
feed my puppy diamond naturals small breed pup food is it going to give him death?
>>
>>2130345

Yeah, it happened with our other dog too. He still wanted to do stuff and we'd take him for walks and everything. He'd just be weak and when he wanted to sit it was time to rest. I'd sit in the middle of the road with him and just wait for him to be ready. He passed pretty easily one night surrounded by everyone that loved him, which I felt was the best way to go.

It's like Sam said in the LotR movies, it's only a passing thing this shadow. Soon the sun will shine and what will come to pass will come to pass.
>>
After mourning my previous dog for a while I decided I wanted to give another dog a chance to have a home. I went to the shelter and met the sweetest husky mix. She's 3 years old and has heartworm. My question is, how should I go about this? Should I have her settle in first then take her to the vet for heartworm treatment? It would feel sad to bring her in right away only to crate her for months as she's recuperating from treatment.

Has anyone here adopted a heartworm positive dog before?
>>
File: 1432757921631.jpg (71 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
1432757921631.jpg
71 KB, 500x441
You're inviting people to discuss dog food on /an/? Dear God, man, are you trying to get people KILLED?! DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!
>>
>>2130304
No medications but I have to irrigate his Anus daily.
>>
>>2129957

I've been feeding it to my cat for a few years simply because it's the most expensive brand that my pet store sells.
>>
File: 1463963820726.jpg (62 KB, 756x565) Image search: [Google]
1463963820726.jpg
62 KB, 756x565
>mother and sister want to get a dog
>it's obvious they have no clue how to take care of a dog
>it's obvious they'll completely lose interest after the dog grows out of its puppy phase
>it's obvious I'll be the one who has to do all the work despite not wanting a dog
>>
>>2130370
Hi anon.

I am going through the process of adopting a HW+ dog at the moment. She got her treatment last week, and I will be taking her home next week.

The ultimate thing you are missing is the protocols to treat heartworms do not kill the eggs. So it is possible that she gets her treatment, recovers, but for her 6 month follow-up, she is still HW+. You are gonna have to restrict her exercise if that happens, so why not just take her how now and restrict it now?

I am planning to use my girl's illness as a way to bond. Give her tons of attention and cuddles and such. You can also teach her obedience and simple tricks that won't get her too excited. You don't have to crate her. You just have to make sure she doesn't exert herself too much. The dog I am adopting is a spaniel mix, so she isn't massively high energy like a husky, though.

One last thing you have to consider is how "cute" she is. If she is really cute or really sweet, then someone else may be willing to crate her for months for her to recuperate. Think about how much you want the dog, and how hard you are willing to work to help her recover. You are embarking on a hard road... don't underestimate it. There will be a lot of work ahead of you, but you can use this has a great chance to really and truly bond with her.
>>
>>2130428
Yeah the husky part is what worries me as I took her walking and she has tremendous energy. I'm definitely not thinking of not giving it my all, I want to help her. I've just been reading a lot and some sources say crating during that period was recommended. You've helped me out a bit though, I thought I would have to ignore her to not raise her excitement but I could just stay by her to comfort her. What worries me is that she's in a real shitty shelter with a terrible reputation where they're neglected and left in terrible conditions and I don't want her to have to go through that. I just want her to be okay.
>>
File: winnie.jpg (279 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
winnie.jpg
279 KB, 1024x768
My dog has started to drag his ass along the carpet leaving shit skid marks. He's 9 years old and he never did this before. Why is he doing this?
>>
>>2130304
No medications, but some supplements. A good probiotic, some fish oil, a joint support supplement, and ACV. My pup has some issues, so I have to do all of this, but for a normal healthy dog the only thing you should add is fish oil and maybe a probiotic if your dog has ever been on antibiotics
>>
>>2130379
>Feeding a cat dry food
>>
>>2130352
It probably won't kill him directly, but it's not particularly healthy. So your dog will likely survive, but never thrive
>>
>>2130543
Possibly anal gland issues, what do you feed?
>>
>>2130543
Anal glands. Call your vet. Most will let you walk in and a tech will express them for you... won't cost more than 20 bucks and if the vet isn't busy you'll be in and out in under 10 minutes (if that).

Some groomers do it, but I would stick with going to the vet. They will be able to tell you if everything looked normal back there as well. Groomers might not be able to.
>>
>>2130558
>>2130556
>Possibly anal gland issues,
is this a chronic issue?
>>
>>2130559
Could be, could not be. It just depends. This is why you need to head to your vet and ask them to express his anal glands. It could just be a one-off random thing, or there could be something wrong.

Seriously anon. It won't cost more than 20 dollars and 10 minutes, and will make him a ton more comfortable. Odds say everything is okay, but again, vet.
>>
>>2130560
okay thanks for the advice. He was at the vet a few days ago and the vet never said anything about anal glands. He has been doing this for a couple weeks now, so I probably should have mentioned it to the vet.
>>
>>2130561
Anon, if you told your vet your dog was scooting his butt and they didn't mention anything about his anal glands... you need to find a new vet.
>>
>>2130562
Could also be worms
>>
>>2130562
I never told him, I thought it was a behavioral thing, so I'll make an appointment for next week.
>>
>>2130565
Oh it could be, which is why I told him he should go down to his vet. Impacted anal glands is just the most obvious cause of this issue, and by and far the easiest to treat, so any vet would eliminate this as a cause for the behavior immediately.
>>
>>2130566
Bah don't even make an appointment. Call them tomorrow and say he needs his anal glands expressed. Odds say they'll fit you in because it literally takes a tech 5 minutes to do.
>>
>>2130569

okay thanks
>>
Can you teach an older border collie to herd? I got a 3 y/o bitch from the pound, never been trained afaik. Want to teach her to move sheep.
>>
>>2130007
Use a front-connection harness, it redirects their strength when they pull too much.
It looks like a harness attached backwards so the leash connects to the harness on the dog's chest instead of behind the neck/back
http://www.softouchconcepts.com/
>>
>mfw I really want an american alsatian but live over seas
>getting mentally prepaired to be wined, dined and lovingly fucked by import taxes
>>
Well, my dog had a clot that they think went to her brain. We chose to euthenize her because she wasn't responding to anything at all not even when I stupidly yelled at her and tried to get anything from her just to see if I wouldn't have to let my friend go.

I feel relieved in a way because this was the most stress I have ever gone through pathetically enough. We stayed with her until the very end and I don't know what happens when we die but I hope it is something so I see her again.

For forty years we've had a dog in the house and now it's empty. I don't know if it's wrong of me to want another one so soon because there is a void now and I know nothing will replace her but I don't know what I'm trying to say. I've been pretty okay about this all day and barely shed a tear when I last saw her in her shitty condition but now I am starting to cry.

All these stupid faggots breeding dogs for looks and we should've been breeding them to live longer or something
>>
>>2130851
>we should've been breeding them to live longer or something

I feel the same way anon, I'm really sorry.
>>
>>2130817
the best way I've seen teaching herding described is like this:

imagine that your dog has a "color" assigned to each impulse. "red" is their prey drive. "blue" is their desire to listen to you when you give them a command. sometimes one color will override another. but when they're put in a situation with livestock for the first time, red and blue will come together to make purple, and they don't know what purple means. it's a totally new concept: the sheep/livestock rile up their prey drive, but the fact that you're giving them a new command, or you want them to do something with the sheep, is confusing.

probably it's best to make sure she's well-trained in basic obedience before getting into herding, so that she knows she NEEDS to listen to you and "blue" almost always overrides "red".

that being said, if she's not displaying any herding instincts at all--moving around you/other people/animals in a circle, the "collie creep" (pic related), etc.--it might not be worth it to try to teach her. I've got a border collie/golden mutt and while he does try to creep up on other animals, he's got no herding instinct at all. in fact, he baits other animals to chase him instead.
>>
>>2130835
>american alsatian
>google this
>it's a byb mutt for edgy faggots who want to say they own a "dire wolf"

good fucking lord.

>"No one knows what a dire wolf looks like, but Lois Schwarz has been breeding animals of all kinds for over 50 years and understands GODS BREEDING PLAN(TM)"
>"Our dogs need to grow 100 lbs in one year"
>"Best to feed kibbles FIRST... as our breed gets over 100 lbs, owners MUST entice the pups to eat MORE.. how to do that is to feed only kibbles first. then when they move away or you think they are done, add some type of gravy , say about a teaspoon and coat as many kibbles with it as possible.."
>this woman is repeatedly breeding half-siblings with each other
>breeding the same dog upwards of three times in a year
>recommends using a choke chain + 10ft leash on the dogs
>she adamantly refuses to socialize her dogs
>"I personally do not allow my dogs to associate with strange dogs. My dogs are fine around them, but my dogs do not care for other dogs and that is the way i like it. There is no need for my dog to have any strange doggy friends, what is the purpose of that? As they get older they accept them but no need to push my dogs into a relationship with dumb ass dogs.."
>"These are canines and the canines NATURAL instincts are to fight other dogs that do not belong in thier clan, to be leary about other dogs. Dogs are dogs and they do not have rules and laws... like, dont fight. what? Dont protect themselves? Excuse me? My dog can and will protect itself."
>"I would also NOT take my dog to any puppy classes in which the trainer lets the puppies go visit each other. mostly because you can harm your puppies trust in you and/or tramitize a pup from other animals by allowing your young pup to be placed in a situation in which you will not be in control of"

what is wrong with you anon?
>>
>>2130918

I feel like this lady is an outspoken gun-owner and zoophile.
>>
File: Capture.png (366 KB, 593x500) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
366 KB, 593x500
>>2130924
gee, you were right on the money!

take a look at her facebook page, she's nuts.
>>
File: d2319b26316cf3a56a9d68318c34cc8e.jpg (279 KB, 1280x1516) Image search: [Google]
d2319b26316cf3a56a9d68318c34cc8e.jpg
279 KB, 1280x1516
>>2130918
>People like this exist
>Euthanizing her would be considered murder

She's going to get people fucking killed if she keeps this up. Also poor dogs. What a miserable life for a dog
>>
>>2130555
what do you suggest? he's a 9 week old pem corgi
>>
File: IMG_20160526_235228422.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160526_235228422.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
Is this just a 'hot spot'? Or might it be something worse?

And yes I will take him to a vet but I'd still like to hear opinions from here. It's not raised around the edge or anything, no smell or oozing either.
>>
>>2131049
Raw, if you can swing it. Orijen or Farmina N&D, with added water, supplemented with a portion of raw or just raw meaty bones at the bare minimum. Canned is better than kibble, but for that price you might as well do raw.
>>
>>2131340
It's hard to know over the internet, going to the vet is the best option. In the meantime, make sure you either monitor him or keep him in a cone to keep him from exacerbating it.

If you have an independent pet store nearby, see if they carry Koda OmniCare, fantastic topical spray that works really well for all skin conditions. I use it when my pup gets a hot spot and it clears up in 48 hours.
http://www.keys-soap.com/ostore/product.php?productid=280
>>
>>2131340
have you seen him repeatedly licking it? it could be anything, honestly.

my dog got what I thought was a hotspot on his foot. turned out he'd likely sprained or fractured his toe (he plays HARD), and he was licking it repetitively as a calming/pain management mechanism. because the possible fracture/sprain was so small, there was nothing to do but keep him from licking it and wait for it to heal. the vet gave us some antibiotics to prevent infection and a small dose of NSAID.

dumbass fiance stepped on his front toe last week and he has another one. it's hell trying to keep him from licking it, especially when I have work and need to leave him alone. rigged a sock/bootie/cone combo to prevent as much damage as possible, but he gets around all of them. looking at where your dog's spot is, it'd probably be easy to keep him from licking it with just the cone. maybe a wrap bandage as long as you don't wrap it too tightly.
>>
How do you get one dog to stop eating the others food?
>>
>>2131387
Feed them in separate areas
>>
>>2131387
Watch them eat and correct him or do what >>2131460 said.
>>
How effective is clicker training?
>>
>>2132177
any tool's effectiveness depends on your consistency. be consistent with it.
>>
>>2129712
Is Taste of the Wild a good enough brand, or should I switch my Pyr pupper to something better? We've got him on their Wetlands formula right now.
>>
Does anyone have experience with Shiba and Peacocks?
>>
>>2132279
It's decent but my dog couldn't handle it and kept getting diarrhea on it
>>
How do you stop play biting?
>>
>>2132852

Poke finger into throat
>>
>>2132279
I use TOTW. I rotate flavors every so often. Dog seems to like pacific stream best and when he's on that particular formula his coat is noticeably softer because (I think) of the fish oil

I like it. after the adjustment period, he did fine on it. it's not the best of the best, but it's a great food for its price and I'm simply not able to spend more.
>>
>>2132852
yelp and turn away and ignore the dog for a few seconds. do this consistently.

he won't stop play-biting immediately and if he's still a puppy he won't stop play-biting at all for a few months, but he will learn to be more gentle. be consistent.
>>
>>2132279
They're manufactured by Diamond, whose qc is terrible
>>
My pup won't eat her kibble unless it's smeared with human foodstuff or in her kong. What do? She doesn't look ill either, still plays, runs, jumps and eliminates normally. She also doesn't sit like her stomach hurts. (She was ill twice and when sitting, she'd look like she was shitting, but her butt was on the floor. Guess sitting straight hurt more.)
I tried not giving her anything but kibble and taking it away if she wasn't eating, and for a few days she started eating properly again, but now she's stopped again. I put this morning's meal in her kong and she ate nearly everything.
It's Orijen Large Puppy, she used not to have problems eating it with nothing else, and just kinda stopped randomly.
>>
>>2132279
I feed the brand in the OP's picture, Fromm. It is very high quality, 100 year old company, family owned, never had a dry food recall (only wet food recall was voluntary because of a vitamin imbalance), has a grain-free and normal version, lots of flavors available, and more economical than an Orijin/Acana.

If you can find it, 100% recommended.
>>
>>2133079
feed her from her kong then. what's the problem? it's fun for her and slows her eating down.

if you're dead set on getting her to eat only kibble out of a bowl, don't give in to her. she will eat when she's hungry enough, but right now she knows if she holds out a little bit she might get something better. you have to wait her out. it's fine, especially since a large puppy (you'd have cause for concern about this pickiness from a small puppy that might go into shock from low blood sugar levels if you waited too long).

basically, your dog is spoiled and you're enabling her.

but seriously, just feed her out of the kong. there's no problem with it and it's even recommended.
>>
How do I make my dog more comfortable in places she's not comfortable in?

Two years ago I adopted an adult shih Tzu . She's 8 now and still won't stay upstairs (where I am most of the day because office). I've brought her toys upstairs and her blankets but she will never willingly sleep there or stay there for more than 10 minutes. She sleeps all day downstairs and while she'd probably sleep all day upstairs too, it would be nice to have her with me. I've played with her upstairs but whenever she gets excited she just brings her toys downstairs.
>>
>>2132852
Flick your finger on his nose, divert his attention with something he's allowed to bite on.
>>
>>2133177
>more economical than an Orijin/Acana

I live in Canada, and Acana is way cheape than Fromm here.
>>
>>2133497
Orijen and Acana are super expensive in the southern USA. About $100 for a 28 lb bag.
>>
>>2133529
Strange. Didn't Orijen/Acana build a factory in Kentucky to produce kibbles for the U.S. market?
>>
>grandma has a dog
>20lbs overweight
>she feeds her dog 3 cups and many bones ( 1 cup 2 bones in the morning, 2 cups 2 bones in the evening)
>takes her out for a walk like once a week
>tell gran to stop feeding her so much shit
>"oh but she begs sooooooo much and it's so annoying!! she'll bug you to death!!"
>"oh i'm not gonna worry about it, she'll run it off. i'm gonna visit relatives who have stairs so she'll walk it off too"
>the same relatives that feed the dog food off the table because "she's so cute lol just look at her beg :3"

I watched her dog for two weeks once and cut off that bullshit begging habit/cut her food and she lost so much weight
now she's fat as fuck again
and the vet has been yelling at my grandmother to cut it out
but she doesn't LISTEN
and i've offered/tried to take over but she gives her more food behind my back anyways
>>
My dog easily gets bad teeth.
He's raw fed and chews on different bones frequently, but his teeth are still getting plaque. I've started brushing his teeth a few months ago every night with little to no improvements. Vet suggested that my dog must just genetically get bad teeth, and I'll probably have yearly teeth scaling/cleaning to look forward to.

What else can I do? What is a good toothpaste? What about those water additives? Currently we are using this arm and hammer brand dog toothpaste.
>>
>>2133593
carrots go a long way
>>
>>2129712
what ways are there to make sure a dog doesnt grow too much?
>>
>>2133615
Get a small breed
>>
>>2131353
>raw meaty bones

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE-

Anon, please, PLEASE be careful and watch your dog if you do this. Bones are bones, raw or not, and they fucking splinter. As soon as you hear that crack, TAKE IT AWAY.

I'm sorry anon that I'm responding too, but too many times people suggest raw or raw bones without bothering to warn people about the dangers, even though it should seem obvious.

My dumbass of a friend was giving his king shepherd whole fucking raw ribs bones until I got on his ass (tried to do it kindly, but he got mad) and I warned him he was going to end up at the damn vets dropping a couple grand on surgery.

Not two fucking weeks later he's texting me saying the dog can't seem to shit, and I told him he's probably got a fucking impaction. Took it to the vets, and sure enough. The vet also warned him that if the dog had decided to break that rib bone, it would have cut his insides and he would have had a dead dog from infection.
>>
How do you introduce yourself to a dog properly? Cats are easy for me, I've grown up with them so I understand what to do. Dogs I've met seem to like me well enough and I suspect you'd have to really fuck up to make them care unless they had some issues, But I don't know what the dos and don'ts of introduction are if you want to do it completely by the book. How do I meet other people's dogs?
>>
>>2133817

Ignore the dog, if the dog approaches you too fast turn your shoulders away from him (this will not work in an aggressive situation).

After the dog has got your message you sent by ignoring it crouch down and coax the dog towards you, palm up under the dogs face and onto the shoulder, pet him softly on the side and shoulder, one hand only to start, be calm and confident and give the dog plenty of space to make an exit if it wants to.

I suspect your body language around dogs is basically saying "Im a scared little bitch". You want to project confidence and calmness which the dog will pick up on and act the same.
>>
File: DSC_1343.jpg (2 MB, 5001x3708) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1343.jpg
2 MB, 5001x3708
Can a ex-racer be trained to be off the leash. Also how do I make him sit, stubborn doggo :(
>>
>>2133593
keep brushing.

I was concerned about tartar on my dog's teeth that wouldn't go away and kept appearing (even though I've been brushing his teeth almost every night since he was a puppy) and asked the vet about it. she examined his mouth and said there'd only be reason for concern if the tartar/plaque was up along the gumline, which it isn't. stay vigilant.

however, that being said, your vet is probably right about genetically bad teeth. my aunt's husky had something similar--their vet said they'd only ever seen it once before--her teeth were basically becoming loose at the bone and 13 had to be extracted. not sure what it was, but the vet said even with tooth brushing it would've been unpreventable.
>>
>>2133593
>>2134017
also forgot to mention that the water additives don't really do anything except make their breath temporarily nicer.

vet might have prescription chews--mine does, but she says their experimental and she doesn't want to start giving them out yet--but if your dog is a power chewer, she'll likely just eat them and they won't do anything for her teeth.
>>
>>2133888
That's one fit, magnificent bastard.
>>
I have a standard poodle pup that's 10 weeks old. It's my first dog, and I'm having trouble with how much he bites my hands, toes, and legs/arms. I try yelping and pulling away from him when he hurts me, but he either keeps hangs on harder, chases, or pulls back for a second and then goes right back to biting hard.
I try saying "no" to him, but it doesn't have much on an effect. I guess I have three questions:
1. How else do I get my dog to stop biting me so hard?
2. Are there toys for dogs that move and run away? I think this is why he likes chewing me more than his toys, even when I present them as an alternative.
3. How do I help my puppy learn what "no" means, without punishment?

>pic related
>>
>>2134208
a nice penis too
>>
>>2134211
Stand up, cross your arms and leave him alone when he bites too hard.

My pup loves her kong toy, she sometimes chews it or just throws it and watches it bounce randomly.
>>
>>2134208
>>2134214
He's a big guy
>>
>>2134265
He chases after me and bites my legs if I try and leave, really hard. My legs are all covered in welts and bruises. Can I close him in a closet for 10 seconds if he keeps up, or is that not good?
>>
Elderly white man in my condo complex aggressively telling me that my dog can't relieve himself in the common area because there's grass there, which my dog doesn't do often. Instead he wants my dog to do it in my small backyard which is almost nothing but cement.

Having an actual house must be nice.
>>
File: DaDa.png (1 MB, 1244x722) Image search: [Google]
DaDa.png
1 MB, 1244x722
Could anyone help me narrow down the mix in this dog?

I think she's a mix of German Shepherd and an Anatolian Shepherd, but the fur is really thick and slightly curly. Any ideas?
>>
My doggo is whimpering to go outside(even after he just had a potty) and licking his butt a lot. He had his anal glands expressed last weekend, and today they are not particularly full.

Going to the vet tomorrow. Going to save his morning business and take it to the vet too. Anyone have any hypotheses on what could be up?
>>
I have two dogs that have a severe issue with fleas.

What's the best course of action to take here?

This is what I've come up with so far to tackle the situation:

cone of shame on both animals to prevent further issues
wash everything (clothes, sheets, possibly steam clean carpets, etc)
Treat backyard with something ( I don't know what )

Money is tight so the best bang for buck option would be appreciated.
>>
>>2134310
Try youtubing it? I learned with my pup that I had to get a rope toy and basically pry my fingers out and replace it with the toy, then gently play tug of war with the rope. It was more about making the toy more fun and interesting than my hands and ankles. You can also tie a piece of cloth to the rope and teaze it (slide it) on the ground while acting really excited to get their attention.

The other thing is this is a perfect time to start teaching leave it. Get some cooked chicken breast and cut it up into small bite sizes. Get about five pieces in each hand. Now, bend down to your dog and offer one hand with your fist securely cosed around the treat. Let the pup smell it, but not have it. While it's doing this say 'leave it' gently, and the second it backs away from your hand or stops sniffing. praise by opening your OTHER hand and offering one piece of chicken.

Now, close the hand that you just gave the treat with and repeat the -leave it- command, and as soon as he backs off of this hand, open the other hand and offer a single piece.

He should pick up on it quickly, and once you have this pretty well learned, you can then combine this with the not biting your hands. Tell the pul leave it, and as soon as he backs off your hands, grab his toy and play really excited like.
>>
>>2134718
The chewable pills from the vet are only about ten bucks each and last a full month, start with that and then doo everything else on your list. Look up flea egg and life cycles to make sure they don't re-infect your house, and vacuum twice a week MINIMALLY. Fuckwrs are so hard to get rid of.
>>
>>2134268
For a Tzu.
>>
Dog suddenly cant (or wont) hold his shit if no one is home or if I'm the only one home.

so my doxie is almost 4 years old and he's never had this problem before (until we left the country for a week)

He suddenly wont or cant hold his shit anymore.

If he needs to go, he'll tell us or we'll just take him out periodically throughout the day.

But most of my family left for a vacation and left me home alone with my little guy.

I noticed something weird when I was sitting in my room for a few hours and when I came down to feed him for dinner, and I found two shits in the main room and living room.

I didnt catch im so I couldnt scold him but, Now I'm keeping a closer eye on him.

This is unusual behavior for him.

Yesterday he was good, but only because I was on top of him all day.

But today I thought maybe I could go can do some errands, so I made sure he went to the bathroom before I left and when I came back (within the hour) there was more poop in the living room.

What is going on? Is he just acting out because im the only one home?
>>
>>2134875
Animals do not have the emotion of spite.

V E T
E
T
>>
>>2134876
yeah i just called the vet, i'll probably take him in today.

I'm just alittle upset because he's been pretty good so far...

maybe this is alittle tmi, but he's our first dog and we worked really hard convincing our hard-core muslim father to let us have him.

It's almost Ramadan and he cant be pooping in the house during the "holy month"
>>
>>2134329
>Elderly white man in my condo complex
if he's not the landlord and there's nothing about it in the rules/lease/contract, tell him to fuck right off.

dog waste laws only mention shit, not piss. as long as you're picking up your dog's poop and throwing it away in a bag in a receptacle, there's not a problem.
>>
>>2134362
>asking to go out after he's just been out
could be gastrointestinal discomfort from a variety of things

>licking his butt a lot
>anal glands already expressed
worms, likely.
>>
>>2134910
Thanks.

We just got back from the vet. He got some anti inflammatories and is having a fecal sample run. The odds of worms is pretty low, as he is on an all purpose paracitide that is supposed to be good (Sentinel Spectrum).
>>
>>2134718
>Money is tight so the best bang for buck option would be appreciated.
borax your carpets. borax is REALLY cheap. google "how to borax carpet for fleas" and proceed from there. hope you have a good vacuum. empty it out multiple times a day since fleas can hatch in it and live inside.

when you're washing everything, wash with hot water. don't forget your dogs' toys and bedding as well. don't steam your carpets; it won't do anything to the fleas or their eggs. no point.

wash your dogs frequently (it's bad for their skin, but so is fleas.). don't fill up the tub--fleas can't drown. instead, get the dog into an empty bathtub and either have a separate large bucket/tub of water on hand to rinse him with. first make a ring of soap and lather him up along his neck so the fleas can't escape to his head. lather him up good with dawn dish soap and let it sit on him for five minutes (the longer the better). this'll suffocate some fleas. make sure you get places where they like to hang out: armpits and leg-pits, butt, groin, behind the ears. rinse out the tub and make sure any fleas have gone down the drain, then plug the drain until time for next wash.

don't dry the dog with a hair-dryer, it'll just blow errant fleas around the room. just go over him with a flea comb. REALLY look for the fleas, don't just run it over him. drown the fleas in a little tupperware thing of water and dawn dish soap so they can't float. leave them in there 48+ hours so they actually drown. they'll reanimate otherwise (I am not shitting you).

sweep and mop hard floors. get under furniture with the broom or vacuum cleaner. don't vacuum twice a week, vacuum EVERY DAY. you can borax the carpet once a week.

got rid of fleas in two weeks by staying vigilant. the most important things are flea-combing and vacuuming every day, and throwing the contents of the vacuum out immediately after. I don't know what to do to treat your yard, though. I did this all in an apartment.
>>
>>2134912
>on an all purpose paracitide
interesting. has he had worms before? why is he on that?
>>
>>2134912
>>2134918
ah, I just looked it up. a heartworm medication. noticed it doesn't treat giardia or coccidia. are his poops totally normal? if so, I've got no idea. if not, I'd say it's one of those two (or both).
>>
>>2134918
He has never had worms to my knowledge. I live in Texas where heartworms are more or less a concern year around. The pill is heartworm/flea/tick/worms.
>>
>>2134920
Normal poo, if not a bit soft sometimes.

It's strange. I am just concerned in ruling out anything medical before saying it is behavioral. Hate to ignore the poor dude when he is in clear discomfort.
>>
Anyone else feel different about Raising a puppy and growing up with a puppy?

I had a min pin growing up, and he would always knew were to sleep on my arms, how I move during the night and he would reposition accordingly, he knew I'd lift my pillow up if he comes near it since he loved to be buried.

10 years later, he's gone and I have a new dog, but it feel different, my min pin felt more like a best friend while this guy feels like my kid
>>
>>2133615
Don't feed too much when they're a puppy.

Feed just enough so that they don't become skinny.

Don't increase feed amount just because it says to do so on the food packaging. Increase feed only when you touch their rib cage, and it feels bonier than it used to, indicating the current feed amount is less than their maintenance calorie.
>>
Really want a spitz breed, but struggling to find consistent information regarding apartment living. Have a small back patio with a grassy area and able to walk/exercise the dog 2-3 times a day. Apartment doesn't allow shiba inu, huskies, akitas, samoyeds, jindo, or malamutes. Any suggestions for a medium sized (30lb+) spitz dog that would do well in an apartment?
>>
>>2135352
A Keeshond.
>>
How best to keep a dog from fucking with a wound on his toe?

Dog got his foot stepped on at the dog park, hard enough to make him yelp. No limping, but over the course of a few days he's been licking his toe over and over--so much that he's licked away his fur and part of his skin to create a lesion.

Last time something like this happened, the vet said the (potential) injury was too small and in too inconvenient of a place to do x-rays, and she gave me entederm and antibiotics to keep the lesion from getting infected, and told me to wait it out. I still have a nearly-full tube of entederm and am mostly having trouble keeping the dog from licking it when I'm not around.

I've tried cones, socks, booties, socks under booties, socks under AND over booties, all of these things combined, etc. He's going to get this lesion infected if I can't find a way to keep him from getting at it. I've seen liquid spray-on bandages at the pet store, would those be effective? Or would his licking nullify the effects?
>>
File: IMAG0005.jpg (788 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0005.jpg
788 KB, 1520x2688
This is my dogger, a great Pyrenees by the name of captain Malcolm Reynolds.
>>
>At grandma's.
>Nurse knocks and enters right away, because grandma is near deaf.
>Pup starts barking.
>Doesn't stop until far from the nurse who's looking away.
>Pup looks scared.
>Barks again when nurse talks to her or look at her.
What do? Literally the first time she did that, and it's going to happen again. Usually when she meets new people she either comes forward a bit sheepishly and slowly, and relaxes when petted, or just excitedly and wanting to play, I'm not sure how she decides which.
Even seeing the nurse petting grandma's dog, she kept barking. Pup went a few times to sniff and then backed off fast. Also when the nurse grabbed a toy and threw it softly (away from the dog, I'll add), my pup jumped when it landed and made a noise.
>>
Was going to make my own thread, but this board is slow enough.

Anyway, long story short, I have two puppies; a one-year-old and a 7-month old. The issue is with the latter- He doesn't seem to grasp the concept of 'Human isn't home so I probably shouldn't pee on the floor.' He did great in the crate and I've decided to upgrade him to being able to hang out outside of the kennel with my other dog (who is 100% housebroken) while I'm out of the house during short bursts. He NEVER has accidents when I'm home, even when I'm not paying attention (watching TV, vidya, etc), but as soon as I leave, he considers it an OK thing to do. It's not anxiety...so I'm at a complete loss. I take them out every couple hours, and right before/after I come home, but I can still expect pee on the floor as soon as I come back, even half an hour later. Any ideas?
>>
>>2136647
Some dogs just don't like some people, a colleague has a dog that barks at every person of colour he sees. Correct her when she barks but let her move away from the nurse freely.
>>
>>2136941
Yeah, the nurse talks fast, kinda loud and with a high pitch, I guess my pup's just not used to it at all.
>>
How do you get a dog to stop playing so rough with another dog?
>>
>>2129712

My dog keeps running along the fence and trying to find the neighbour's dog. When he does, he barks at it - not viciously, but it's not playful either.

The other dog is, thankfully, very calm and shy (he runs away every time I say hi through the fence) and doesn't bark back.

How can I get my dog to leave this dog be/like this dog, and can you give me any advice on getting him to stop barking at other sounds in the backyard? I want him to run around and have fun but not bark all the time and annoy my neighbours.
>>
>>2136647

Seems your dog is scared and paranoid of the nurse. I'd reccomend finding some sort of treat you can give the dog when the nurse is in the room or knocks on the door. Sliced carrot bits or something? Basically something to give the dog continuously with the nurse in the room, and eventually the dog should associate the nurse being in the room with getting treats.
>>
>>2137017
Yeah but wouldn't it reward her barking at the nurse? I'll just fill a kong for tomorrow, we'll see.
>>
>>2137028
Distract him when he barks. Give him a "HEY FIDO COME HERE FIDO" when he starts to bark and reward him. Keep him busy and just keep breaking his concentration when he barks.

He'll eventually learn that he shouldn't bark at the nurse.
>>
>>2137028

Yeah, the trick there would be to not give a treat when he barks. If you can tell him to be quiet in some way and he obeys, then give him a treat. Or distract him, like above.
>>
>>2134887
He could be stressed from the family being gone and he's having a hard time holding it in, but because you guys did the common (but not good way) of training, which involves scolding for going in the house, he's learned that poop=bad, so now he tries to wait until you aren't around to go, or hides it from you.

Just for future reference, dogs can't really make the connection that inside is any different from outside until they have learned that the house is their area. This is why crater training is so affective.

You have to think of it like this-you would scold a baby for pooping, so why scold a puppy? The puppy has yet to understand what the difference between inside and out is, so the best way to teach them is limit them to a certain, often small area that they won't want to go in because it feels like their area. Then slowly as they get bigger and can hold their bladder for longer, you increase the area.

Otherwise, when you punish them for going potty in the house, all they are really learning is that poop/pee=bad, and then they learn to hold it until you aren't around, or hide it from you.
>>
>>2134990
Because it is. The min pin you weren't taking care of, your parents were :)
>>
>>2137028
Try to distract him from barking with a 'come here' or something similar, and maybe ask the nurse herself to give the pup treats while not saying anything/being quiet.

I find boiled chicken breast pieces to be a really good distracting and high value treat. Some dogs don't take to the carrots, but you could definitely try.

My friend has a blind chihuaha and I've had to slowly win her trust by just walking slowly while she's in the house, talking softly, and giving her small bits of bread/chicken/peanut butter whenever I do have to walk near her or around her.

It only took about a week and now she wags her tail when she smells me.
>>
>>2130007
Don't take your puppy for walks until it's had all its shots. They could get sick from eating some poop on the grass or licking a place another dog recently peed
>>
>>2137440
>Don't take your puppy for walks until it's had all its shots
So wait a year before taking a walk? Yeah, no.
>>
I would like some opinions.

So me and my mother, we have a little yorkie.
The thing is, we never walk her because both of us are lazy fucks. When we did do a few walks she basically refuses to walk after a little while and you have to pick her up and carry her.

My question is, is it really that bad that we don't walk her? We don't play with her much either, like 10-15 minutes of fetch a day. She does seem really exhausted after we play though so it seems she gets enough exercice. She is at a healthy weight as well.

Overall, she seems pretty damn happy. Absolutely loves people and just being lazy and eating the occasional treat. Also, we have a really big house so I don't think she feels too bad about staying inside.
>>
>>2137569

It's not bad for a dog to be inside a lot as long as it gets exercise, which the yorkie is clearly getting. I have a somewhat active dog and we were living in an apartment for forever but he was fine because we took him out every time he needed to go and played with him a lot. Never showed signs of being anxious/antsy other than wanting to play.
>>
>>2137572

Thanks, I think she's doing ok too.
Forgot to mention, we do take her with us on drives and stuff, so she does go out to see the world etc.
>>
File: 81c3ATZktkL._SL1500_.jpg (235 KB, 1500x1137) Image search: [Google]
81c3ATZktkL._SL1500_.jpg
235 KB, 1500x1137
Just to make sure, this is /an/'s anti flea of choice right?
>>
>>2137620
I use Permethrin based preventative. It's very inexpensive and I haven't seen any bugs on my dog.
>>
>>2133888
Try biking him in order to make a strong bond and drill the idea of following you rewarding him with being tired first.

After he follows your bike without straining to go where he wants to go, muzzle him as a precaution and let him off in a large empty area away from roads. Ex racers will come back, if they think you're worth coming back to.
>>
How long do I have to decide on a name once I get a puppy? I don't want to leave it too long but don't want to start calling it one name only to change it later.
>>
My dog is afraid of rain. Lightning too but plain rain as well. She doesn't cry but she just roams around the house and what sounds like hyperventilating.

How do I stop this?
>>
>>2138398
Try doing stuff with her inside that you'd normally do, don't make a fuss over her
>>
>>2138494

I'll give it a shot.
I live in Greece so it doesn't rain much here anyway but I don't want her to be upset for no reason.
>>
>Bring home new doggo
>She is already heartworm positive
>Take her outside for business
>Tapeworms
>Spend a ton of money getting flea prevention for the two cats and other doggo
Poor girl must be in a lot of discomfort.

>>2138392
You can change a dog's name. He doesn't care.

>>2138398
Try a Thundershirt. I am sure they have such products in Greece.
>>
>>2136744
>He did great in the crate and I've decided to upgrade him to being able to hang out outside of the kennel
downgrade him again. he obviously needs a stricter schedule.
>>
Just came home from a huge adoption event with a 5 month old Great Pyrenees. He's about 25-30 lbs and about 20 inches to the shoulder right now. Is this a bit on the small end for GP?
>>
>>2139276

Does it matter?

Feed him Acana to suit his weight.
>>
>>2139383

I guess it matters if the person wants to know if it will be smaller than normal as an adult.
>>
File: IMG_20160608_205748.jpg (1 MB, 3328x1872) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160608_205748.jpg
1 MB, 3328x1872
Help me /an/

I want to socialize my pup to other dogs but my neighbors dog are fucking savages. Can't even get him outside to the park without getting ripped. Have a medium fenced lawn btw.
>>
>>2140976
Go farther away.
Look up local shelters and dog trainers, they might have puppy events.
>>
>>2133888
>Also how do I make him sit, stubborn doggo :(

Some racers never learn to sit as their butts are so boney that it's a bit painful for them, teach him to lay down instead. That's what I've always done with deerhounds and lurchers.
>>
>>2134211
When my miniature poodle was in his mouthy phase as a puppy, I used to lightly close his mouth (not harshly, just a light touch with my thumb and index finger) with a firm 'no' if he mouthed me, and he got the message after a while.

Also, he might simply not be that into toys. Have you tried giving him chews for him to gnaw on?
>>
Recommend a breed? I'd like to add second dog to my family in the next 2-5 years. I'm very active with hiking and running and live in a hot tropical climate. Would prefer a large dog who can carry a backpack. I have a border collie already.

I'm interested in Dalmatians and Rottweilers.
>>
File: 51KEV6Ja1hL._SX425_.jpg (34 KB, 425x358) Image search: [Google]
51KEV6Ja1hL._SX425_.jpg
34 KB, 425x358
I'm watching a relative's dog for awhile and I don't have a pen. The dog likes to sleep in a pen. Is there anything I can do for him tonight?
>>
>>2141542
get him a box

>>2141534
get a boxer
suited for hot climate due to tight-fitting fur
and much more tolerable than rotts
>>
>>2141534

Boerboel is similar to a Rottie and was created in Southern Africa so no stranger to heat.

They can be headstrong and independent so seek a proffesional trainer to assist you in training from puppyhood and the 18 month testosterone surge if you get male shouldnt be so bad.
>>
>>2141563
This is rly vain but boxers don't appeal to me aesthetically

>>2141630
I'm off to research boerboels. Ty
>>
>>2141679
>don't appeal to me aesthetically
>Boerboel
This literally looks like a boxer on steroid

Your best bet would then be either Rottweiler or other types of Mastiff
>>
>>2141681
I had never seen a boerboel before.

I wish I lived somewhere cold so I could just get a newfie. They're my dream dog but I just can't put one through this weather. Maybe I'll move someday.
>>
>>2136647
>>2137038
>>2137064
>>2137100
Welp, now she doesn't mind as much. She still barks when the nurse arrives but calms down fast. She also goes to smell her in about calm, as long as the nurse doesn't look at her. Pup just spends most of the time with her kong for now.
>>
I have a Pomeranian mix. My dog always follows me around in an off-leash dog park area. He never wonders away like the other dogs. Why?
>>
>>2141686
>newfoundland

I've never had a newfie but you can work around by having at least a pond or a pool.

They are the swimmer dogs, even have webbed feet for that. Plus you can take them fishing on upstreams when you hike.

>>2141748
>mix
>>
Should I get a dog?
I've wanted one ever since I was a child but my parents are 'cat people'. I've been living in a flat which doesn't allow pets for 4 years but I am now in the process of buying my own home with my wife - which is about a 5 minute walk from a park, 10 minutes from a larger park (and at the end of that park is a beach/seafront). My wife is fine with dogs as long as they're not too big.

Now for the issues:
>My parents are overly controlling and very against the idea of me and my wife getting a dog.
>They gave a significant amount of money so we could afford a house.
>They say we cannot afford a dog.
>They say my wife cannot handle a dog (She has OCD)
>They tell me to ask my sister, she is a vet.
>My sister is against us getting a dog as we both work.
I work 9-5 Mon-Fri, my wife works 9-5 5 days a week (including weekends), most weeks we would have 3-4 full days available to look after the dog and 3-4 days where it would be alone for roughly 9 hours max. It could be possible if I speak to my boss to move my hours forwards to 8-4 or even having a longer lunch and doing 9-6 so I can give the dog a 20 minute walk during the day.

I am an avid walker, and I would be more than willing to do morning walks/runs at 5am, walks again as soon as I get home (my commute is only about 20-30 minutes) and another walk in the evening.

My sister will most likely provide free vetcare and insurance for whatever pet we do eventually get - she currently does this for her cats, my parents cats and my grandparents dog.

Everyone suggests us getting a cat instead, I would be fine with an indoor cat so its not going to kill or get killed, but yet again everyone has issues with it being cruel. My sister gave some non-commital answer about specific breeds and left it at that.

I feel like I have to defend myself over the idea that I would like a dog when I'm sure 90% of owners are in similar or worse situations.

Who knows
>>
>>2141766
Get a dog.

You seem to know the ups and downs of getting one. Its the people around you holding you back.
If you are committed enough having to workaround those things im sure youll be fine.

If there is a will there is a way.
>>
>>2141766
Call your parents out on their shit, you don't live at their place and you're a grown ass married man, for fuck's sake.
Can you afford 50~100$ a month? It'll need food, dog-related products (brushes, shampoo, bed, vaccines, flea spray, etc), toys, and the rest you keep on the side in case you need to go to the vet and your dog needs expensive care.
I don't see what's the problem with dogs and OCD. Just keep your grandparents' dog for a week-end and see, I guess?
>both work
I don't doubt most of the pet dogs in the west have their owners out the house most of the day. This is relatively easy to deal with. You have to teach the dog that being alone is fine, to play alone with his toys and not the furniture and that you always come back, and make sure it's tired when you go out. You'll definitely have to get up earlier to tire the dog in, so it'll be calmer by the morning, and if you do get longer lunch and walk him out around noon, that's even better. There are breeds of dogs that are fine with lazying around 22 hours a day, if they spend the rest walking and running.
Do mind that puppies *need* to get out every hour or every two hours or so, that's probably out for you. You'd probably be better off finding an adult dog in a shelter, but do remember many, many are there because of separation anxiety issues, you would need to work on that hard, you'd probably have to burn vacation days to introduce the dog to your home properly.
Pet insurance is scam like 75% of the time, they'll take your money monthly, and when your dog will need it, it'll be too old, or not covered by whatever you signed, and you'll just have lost money. Set it aside on your own or look hard and read the fine print.
If people around you think having an indoor cat is cruel, they're fucking morons. Not to mention if you don't want to be alone out on walks, you can train a cat to walk in a harness and leash, so it'll always either be at home, or out under your direct supervision.
>>
>>2141786
>you can train a cat to walk in a harness and leash
whenever i see someone do this, i instantly think that these owners are too lazy to actually own a dog and too dependent to have not have a pet
>>
>>2141766
Tell your parents to fuck off, respectfully of course. You are a grown, married man. You need to cut the umbilical cord one day, anon. And I understand that sometimes you are the one who wants to cut it.

Anyways, I recommend fostering an adult dog. Talk to the Humane Society in your county and start the process. You'll probably need to take an orientation and some classes. Should be free. It will be a good way to figure out if a dog can work in your household and if your wife can handle it. If it doesn't work, you can just return the dog... no problem. The shelter will pay for everything as well, so all you need to do is give the dog time and affection.

Also, dogs can do fine by themselves while you work. That being said, I generally go home for lunch to let my dogs out and spend some time with them. This will help a lot if you can swing it.
>>
File: IMG_6589.jpg (332 KB, 1191x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6589.jpg
332 KB, 1191x900
Hey guys! I'm about to adopt this pooch from the pound tomorrow. Does anyone have an idea as to what breed she is? She weighs about 40 lbs, and has really thick, fluffy fur. They have her listed as a lab mix, but looking at her face and markings, I'm wondering if she might have some rottweiler in her, but then again, I'm pretty bad at guessing breeds. Any help is appreciated.
>>
Got a puppy and he has bonded to me very quickly. Will come dashing up to me when I come home from work, wants to he held and pet for 15 minutes, and then lays next to me while I do my house duties. However, he's not nearly as affectionate with the SO. We always walk him together and SO plays with and feeds him, but the dog just acts kind of aloof, as if he's just being polite when SO wants to give him attention.

Why does doggo love me more? How can SO get more love?
>>
>>2142745
Post a better pic tomorrow when she is home. Congrats on the new pupper~
>>
>>2142862
animals, like people, are individuals. yours just sounds like he's the sort of dog who wants to be really attached to one person and cooler towards other people.

I have the opposite problem. dog has no qualms about rubbing his ass on total strangers and begging to be petted (except when they look poor)
>>
How to get a pup to start responding to his name? How to get her to come back when you call?
>>
I just saw worms in my dogs poop. It's been a little over a week since I had a fecal sample done on a dog I just adopted and the test had came back negative. I don't know if it's because there's something in my yard. The vet already closed and won't be open until Monday.

Do you guys think I should get an over the counter dewormer while I wait for Monday?
>>
>>2142862

Mate you need to be ignoring that pup when you get home for at least 10 minutes, when your pup is calm and lying down then go make a fuss over him.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2142745
>>2142866
Back with a better picture. We think she's got Rottweiler and gsd in her as well as a little golden retriever. She's the sweetest dog ever. Excuse the messy apartment.
>>
>>2143507
Ground raw pumpkin seeds work very well
>>
>>2143659
I had no idea something so simple would help, thank you so much anon.
>>
what's a good training technique to stop my 1 year old blue heeler gnawing on hands/wrists/arms? I understand he's only doing it from a play perspective and doesn't want to inflict pain but his jaw is getting to big I really want to break this habit. He basically just gently takes peoples wrists in his mouth and gives it a little nibble, not so it hurts but he may not be aware of his own strength as he gets older.
>>
Rescued a doggo whom the rescue organization said was treated for mange. He still seems very itchy, so I took him to the vet who prescribed some medication (he thinks that the shelter just treated the doggo long enough to get him adopted without completely eradicating the mange), but dog still itching. Is there anything I can do to alleviate his itchiness while the medication kicks in? So far I've been brushing him and using wet wipes with aloe treatment on his skin. Considering picking up some lime sulfur dip tomorrow, though I read that it smells like rotten eggs. I'm willing to put up with it, but is there anything else I can do?
>>
>>2142745
>>2143642
Cute pupper you got yourself anon.

>>2143758
You could always try one of those pet anti itch relief sprays if its not too bad.
>>
>>2143758

Lavender oil.
>>
My friend owns a small mutt with behavioral problems. He doesn't like to go out for walks, my friend says he mostly cries and he has to drag him to get anywhere.When outside he is scared shitless of other dogs. The dog is also really protective of his area and sometimes he gets into rage fits and attacks my friend or his parents. He gets really mad for small amount of time. Finally, he doesn't eat dog food from his bowl, they had to use a spoon to make him eat.

The dog is still 12 months old however my friend insists that it's not a training problem, it's because the dog was abandoned by two families while still very young. I don't think it was nurtured by it's mother. Could that be true? Does it need proffesional training?
>>
>>2143799
Take that dog to a behaviourist.
>>
Let's say I have two sofas, one for me and guests where pupper is not allowed, and one for pupper.
If I want to chill out with him on his sofa, will he accept it or will it be confusing to him? Like "that nigga's got his own precious sofa I can't touch, now wants to steal mine too?"
What should I do to ensure that my guests never have to worry about dog and dog hair when they sit on my sofa, and at the same time I can enjoy napping with my buddy on his sofa?
>>
>>2143758
Where is he itching? Any other skin symptoms? What food does he eat? What medication is he on?
>>
>>2143889
Dogs are smart, he'll figure it out
>>
My dogs ears smell unusual, a little yeasty inside. Should I do anything about it or is it fine?
>>
>>2143898
You should take him to a vet.
>>
>>2143893

Itches all over, though it seems to be most centralized on his hind legs right at the bend of the knee and his rump. Top of his head also has it rough. Not noticing any other symptoms of the skin besides a bit of redness. He did have parvo as well but that was treated, though now he is also being treated for intestinal parasites, so his immune system is probably still fucked. Medicine is ivermectin with .4cc squirt every 24 hours and hydroxyzine twice a day. One is supposed to treat mange the other is supposed to be for itching. Metronidazole twice a day for parasites/diarrhea. He eats Nutro Max puppy formula for large breeds dry food. Vet said it might be his diet, but with his history of illness he wants to try treating for mange to see if that helps first instead of changing a bunch of things so we can't figure out what works and what doesn't. I am going to start giving him Purina wet food (ran out of the Nutro wet) to see how it pans out this week. I brush him every other day, though if he's itching a lot I just use the brush on that area so he doesn't bite himself.
>>
>>2143779

Is there a particular brand that is trustworthy that dilutes the oil? I don't trust myself using essential oils
>>
>>2143992
just dilute it with a "carrier oil" like olive oil. I don't think anyone sells pre-mixed oils unless they're mixed with other essentials, and you'd still have to put them in a carrier oil.
>>
>>2143984
>Purina wet food
shit brand that does more harm than good. generally anything you can buy in a grocery store is shit.

go to dogfoodadvisor.com. look into wellness, acana, orijen, etc. I use taste of the wild because I'm on a low budget. more fish/fish oil/vitamin e in his diet may help your dog's skin; I buy the "pacific stream" flavor and my dog's coat is nice and soft and shiny.

remember to do a gradual switch of food; DON'T immediately switch him to the new food. he'll get real sick, especially since he's already being treated for other issues.
>>
There's no cat general that I saw, so if you guys don't mind I'll ask here since it's the closest thread.

Getting a kitten. What should I feed it? I plan on feeding it the 4health brand, but should it be on wet food or a combo of wet and dry?

Dry food ingredients:
>Whitefish, Fish Meal, Salmon Meal, Turkey Meal, Whole Potato, Dried Peas, Pea Protein, Tapioca, Poultry Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Turkey, Natural Flavor, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Dried Carrots, Choline Chloride, Dried Cranberry, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Fish Meal, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K activity), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Cobalt Sulfate, Potassium Iodide.
>>
>>2144078
Wet food:
>Turkey Broth, Turkey, Chicken, Poultry Giblets, Dried Egg Product, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Carrageenan, Minerals (Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Potassium Iodide), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), Choline Chloride, Taurine.

Seems like pretty good food as far as I can tell.
>>
>>2144078
>>2144079
Don't feed cats dry food.

Wet food has Carrageenan.

Look up the brand Weruva.
>>
File: coyote.jpg (99 KB, 945x531) Image search: [Google]
coyote.jpg
99 KB, 945x531
What are some domestic dog breeds similar to coyotes? Mostly in looks more than anything else. I live in california, and I dont think im the kind of person who should be keeping an exotic pet anyway.
>>
My dogs play by pawing and nibbling each other. Sometimes their paw and are really, really close to each other's eyes.

Should I be worried? Could they hurt each other?
>>
>>2144709

Yes they could but what can you do? Puppers gonna play yo.
>>
>>2144709
No.
Yes.
Then the hurt one will yelp or bark, they'll stop playing and the other will know it's a bad idea to do again whatever he's just done.
>>
I'm really sad and don't know what to do /an/. I've been planning a year long bike tour for the last few months now, and I feel it's something I really need to do at this point in my life. My original plan was to leave my dog with my parents, but my mom all of a sudden today reneged on the deal and said that he is too much work and that she can't handle him. I really don't want to give him up because I've had him for a year and he already has really bad separation anxiety. I don't want to make it worse because he has been really happy here. Should I give up my dreams for this dog, or should I try to find him a good home before I leave? Any advice? I'm not leaving for another few months.
>>
>>2144731
Do you have any friends willing to look after him? Or anyone else? If so, you could let them borrow him on the weekends so he gets used to being with someone else. Otherwise, you might be able to find a longterm dogsitter. There are a lot of reliable websites you could use to find one, although it might be expensive.
>>
>>2144731
Most of my friends live out of state, so that's not really an option. I also wouldn't trust most of my "friends" back home because they have a lot of issues (part of the reason I moved in the first place). I'll look into the long term dog sitter thing. I'm kind of poor though. I wish I could just take him with me, but because of his separation anxiety, it would be impossible for me to go resupply in any stores. I'm also going through the desert, so I would have to carry double the supplies for both of us if he came along.
>>
>>2144731
>I've had a dog for a year.
>Been planning year long trip without him for most of that time.
>He has separation anxiety.
>I'm poor.
Is this bait?
>>
>>2144775
The trip is going to be for a year. I've been planning it for the last couple months. Great reading comprehension there champ.
>>
>>2144776
Right, instead of paraphrasing, allow me to use direct quotes.
>I really don't want to give him up because I've had him for a year
>I've been planning [...] for the last few months now
>he already has really bad separation anxiety
>I'm kind of poor though.
>>
>>2144779
He came from a shelter m8 and already had separation anxiety. He has lived in the same house with my parents and I for the entire time that I have owned him, so leaving him here for a bit wouldn't be a big deal (which was originally the plan when I started planning the trip). The whole issue is my mom backing out. I work in a kitchen, and although I love my job, it doesn't pay very well. I'm also spending a lot on gear for my trip and would like to have a healthy savings in my account before I leave.
>>
Is Acana/Orijen still the gold standard for dry kibble?
>>
File: 1383893450943.png (61 KB, 535x661) Image search: [Google]
1383893450943.png
61 KB, 535x661
>>2144775
>a few months equals most of a year
>>
>>2144731
You could let someone housesit on the condition that they take care of your dog. Get your parents to check in every now and then on the house?
>>
I have a little jack russell. Wasn't my idea, but I'm learning to live with her. I've never been a fan of JR's, or any little dogs really, but this one just has a shit personality.

Anyway, she's somewhere between 10-12 months old. About what age can you start bringing JR's running/jogging? I know to start off slowly with a new dog and all that.

Also, I'm planning on getting a second dog. Probably a mature rescue dog. I'm leaning heavily toward an ex-racing Grey Hound. Anything I should be wary of with the breed?
>>
>>2145125

A flirt pole will be the greatest thing you ever make/purchase if you have a Jack Russel anon.
>>
>>2145134
Yeah, it was a godsend with my old Johnson Bulldog. That and letting him pull me on a skateboard.

I'd go for a run for 30 mins with him, let him pull me on a skateboard for 30 mins, swim for 30mins and then go home and he'd still be hyper.
>>
How do I make my dog stop hating another dog
>>
>>2145322
You probably can't. You could however train your dog not to hate other dogs that happen to look like that one.
>>
'sup /an/.
My pup's been having diarrhea on and off for the past week, this morning she even shat normally, and 10 minutes later whined to be let out and had diarrhea again.
What could it be? Anything I can do? Already called the vet since it didn't pass, appointment on saturday. Didn't call earlier because I thought she had just eaten something that didn't agree with her, and she had started getting better before having the runs again. She's still eating, playing and behaving normally, so I didn't think it was anything serious.
>>
>>2146989
Parasites, sounds like
>>
>>2146989
Parasites are the first and most natural thing to eliminate off the bat. There could be many other things (food allergies are another natural choice), but parasites are easy to confirm or deny. Bring in a stool sample (as best you can) to the vet Saturday.
>>
File: functional.jpg (99 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
functional.jpg
99 KB, 720x960
We're going on a trip!

Got him a backpack.

Now he's cute AND functional!
>>
What are your guys' stance on rawhides?

I think people who are vehemently against them should fuck off, personally.
>>
>>2147611
My pupper loves them.

I don't see the big deal.
>>
>>2147611

I used to give them to my dogs but they give them horrendous diahrrea. Then I read up a bit more about them and found they were actually a leather industry by product not a food industry by product. I dont feed my dogs anything I wouldnt eat including their kibble.
>>
>>2147611
It's not food. If you want to give your dog that shit and have to rush him to a vet to get that garbage pulled out of his throat, then go for it famolam. It is your wallet and your dog. I am not gonna stop you, but it is retarded.

I'll personally stick to nylabones and bull dick to satisfy my doggos' desire to chew.
>>
>>2147748
Bull dick costs fucking 30 dollars a piece here and Nylabones are a fucking scam product. Their "extra strength" bones are a complete joke and my dog teared through one like it was fucking paper.
>If you want to give your dog that shit and have to rush him to a vet to get that garbage pulled out of his throat, then go for it famolam.
I watch my dog chew on them, what kind of retard gives his dog something to chew on and leaves him unwatched?

>>2147627
There isn't any big deal. People are stupid.
>>
File: Hercules1.jpg (76 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Hercules1.jpg
76 KB, 540x960
this is my doge Hercules. He's 9 weeks old, purebred rottie, Trying to train him to walk on a leash but he isn't a big fan, any tips?
>>
>>2148074
You just got him.
Keep at it, you mong. He's not going to learn everything you want him to in an hour.
>>
>>2148074
Gotta keep it up up.
It would help to know what his behavior is like.
Does he act scared? Does he pull? Does he just stand around?
>>
>>2148074
he's only 9 weeks old. puppies will instinctively pull back from a leash pulling them along because it fucks with their sense of balance.

also I hope you're just walking him around in your yard, anon. going on sidewalks in the neighborhood that are well-travelled by other dogs is begging for your pup to get parvo. ESPECIALLY a rottie. rottweilers are more susceptible to it than any other breed.
>>
>>2148080
Just plops his butt down and refuses to move
>>2148116
Only in my yard. Not taking him on actual walks until he's 3 months and has his shots
>>
I never had a dog.

Any good dog breeds/crossbreeds that are loyal and protective ,easy to train?
I want a dog that loves and wants to be loved back.
>>
>>2148146
goldens are very eager to please you and consequently pick up on what you want them to do pretty quickly.

can't say much about loyalty though. if you mean "I want my dog to love me and only me," goldens are pretty shitty for that. they want to be friends with anyone and will happily plop their asses in a strange lap if the lap seems welcoming enough.

but if you're just looking for a high love given/love received ratio, goldens are the best.
>>
File: Japanese-Akita.jpg (77 KB, 480x355) Image search: [Google]
Japanese-Akita.jpg
77 KB, 480x355
I want a Japanese Akita. I'm a relentless hard-ass when it comes to training and living with dogs, and the thought of having a total bro that'd love me, be loyal to me, and chill with me while looking cool is very appealing.

However, my bf is a huge cat lover, and I cannot, in good conscience, buy an Akita and have it live with a cat. I've read far too many horror stories.

What do?
>>
>>2143549
>Mate you need to be ignoring that pup when you get home for at least 10 minutes, when your pup is calm and lying down then go make a fuss over him

Can you elaborate this further?
>>
>>2148356
>and the thought of having a total bro that'd love me, be loyal to me
Is your bf not enough for you?

lol
Get a mastiff or any other related gentle giants that work well with cats.
>>
>>2148356
if you get a puppy i'm sure you'll have no problem.
>>
>>2140976
It might cost you 15-30 bucks for a day but you could always try dog daycare. Do your research first though.
>>
>>2143642
Lots of dogs have those markings so it really could be just a lab mix, or rotty, really.
>>
>>2148404
I am not a big fan of constant drool, so mastiffs are probably a no-go. Got any other suggestions?

>>2148408
Are you sure? I'd love to believe that, but having my animal hurt (or worse) my boyfriend's cat would not be good. For a lot of reasons.

For reference, I have experience in training a border collie and a mentally challenged mutt, and they both listen to me without question. The amount of times I've had to teach the retard how to use his legs to go down the stairs is practically uncountable at this point.
>>
>>2148356
Even if you get a puppy and he is socialized around cats from a very young age?>>2148356
>>
I am midly concent with my 6 months old weimaraner
She seems to be a bit small compared with other dogs, she is just 49 pounds (22.25kg) and 24 1/2 inches (Arround 63cm)
Is this right?
>>
File: Puppers.jpg (673 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Puppers.jpg
673 KB, 1080x1920
The short haired one is called Harry, his son is now 10 weeks and just came to me from the guy who owned the bitch Harry had his way with.
He's called lucifer but it's a shit dog name so I want to rename him while he's young but I have no idea what would suit him.
I'm considering Charlie as it's a definite boy name but still flouncy enough for a dog with ears like his... I did consider ziggy but people would ask if it was a bowie reference and then I'd be forced to tell them to fuck off.
Any suggestions for a name he might suit?
>>
File: diesel.png (4 MB, 2400x1600) Image search: [Google]
diesel.png
4 MB, 2400x1600
Here's my dogger.
>>
>>2148827
Peanut
>>
File: IMG_20160425_191407.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_191407.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>
File: IMG_20160324_153659973_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_153659973_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
>>
File: IMG_20160121_062858847.jpg (908 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160121_062858847.jpg
908 KB, 1456x2592
>>
>>2148827

Harley. Alliteration with doggo dad
>>
>>2148782
Newfs, rotties, beagles, Bassett hounds, papillons, Chinese crested, chihuahuas, pugs and dachunds.

Newds and rotties are only suitable if you know what the fuck you are doing and can give constant supervision.

Nip food aggression in the bud from a very early age and make sure the cat is always fed first.

Dachunds are the best option.

Akitas are not good with cats sadly though they are certainly not the worst.

What kind of cat do you have? Siamese and tonks do great with dogs as do Maine coons.
>>
>>2148997
We currently have an ancient cat, so she won't be around by the time I get to getting a dog. He likes adopting, so probably a moggie of some kind.
>>
>>2149007
Trouble is cats can do serious damage to a dog and that can lead to the dog fighting back.
>>
>>2149015
I agree. It's a complicated issue.
>>
Is 6 months too young to take a pupper on short (1-2 hour) hikes every other weekend? Is it too young for him to carry his own pack? He's 37 lbs now (projected to be 85-100 lbs when fully grown) and I'm getting him booties.
>>
>>2150357
>6 months
>37 lbs

He'll maybe hit 50 lbs, tops

Anyway, with regards to your question, he'll be okay to start wearing an empty pack, but you shouldn't put anything in it until his growth plates close around 1-1.5 years old
>>
>>2143898
Ear infection. See vet for meds.
>>
>>2150358

He's a great pyrenees who (I was told) had mange and parvo couple months ago, so I assume he's underweight from those events. Though I wouldn't be opposed to a little Pyr. I'll work with the empty pack until he's older. Thank you!
>>
I adopted a HW+ positive doggo. She had the protocol to treat them about 3 weeks ago. So she is on low activity for 4-6 months.

Also turns out she is a little bundle of energy. What are the best ways to exhaust a dog without exerting them? HW treatment means her pulse cannot be high for long, so I need a way to poop her out without making her little heart work.
>>
>>2150518

Training exercises? Teach her some commands maybe?
>>
>>2129712
You don't like Fromms OP?

>>2131049
Check out dogfoodadvisor.com That is the site I use when comparing dog foods to find a good one that is in my price range.

>>2131353
I wouldn't feed my dog bones. Anecdotal but one of my dogs got a slab fracture on one of her molars from chewing on a raw bone.

>>2132177
Works really well at capturing behaviors. I taught one of my dogs to bow, yawn and to scratch her nose using a clicker.

>>2138263
Is that safe for dogs? I know I've used permethrin on clothing before to keep ticks and stuff away, and it always warns to keep off of skin.

>>2140976
I know my local petsmart or petco has "puppy play" that is free. During the winter months it is normally packed, gets less full during the summer. It was great for socializing my puppy.
>>
>>2143751
You could start putting bad tasting things on your wrists like bitter apple or something. That'd probably deter it, or whenever he puts his mouth on your wrists yelp in pain and ignore him, basically like teaching a puppy not to bite.

>>2143889
I've got a dog couch and a non-dog couch. They figured it out pretty quick and have zero issues with it. I just didnt allow them on my couch and would scold them if they did. You could put a sheet over the dog couch for the dog hair?

>>2144078
>>2144083
I recall an anon on /an/ that was making their own cat/dog food brands. Seemed to be pretty legitimate and going well, this was a year or two ago though. Any idea if they are still going for it?
>>
>>2145042
I fed my pup Orijen, then he started getting diarrhea from it so I switch over to Blue Wilderness and he has been fine since. I'll probably hop back to TOTW or Fromms or something else in a few months.
>>
>>2150586
Same, my pup started having diarrhea randomly. Vet recommended switching to the adult version instead of puppy. Been fine ever since.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.