[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fossil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160517_155712.jpg (2 MB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160517_155712.jpg
2 MB, 2336x4160
I got a fossil, but I don't know anything about it. Can someone help me?/ Conseguí un fósil pero no se nada sobre él. ¿Puede ayudarme alguien?
>>
>>2124159

looks like a lobster tail, or a trilobite
>>
File: trilobite.jpg (176 KB, 640x438) Image search: [Google]
trilobite.jpg
176 KB, 640x438
You found a rock that was a cute little buggy 500 million years ago.
>>
>>2124159
Looks like an enrolled trilobite anon, good find!
>>
Does it have any value?
>>
>>2124167
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.Xtrilobite+fossil.TRS0&_nkw=trilobite+fossil&_sacat=0

Not really.
>>
>>2124167
A couple pounds maybe. You're better off keeping it and marvelling at something that died at least 250 million years ago
>>
>>2124176
Pretty common. I remember there was this science-y toy store that used to sell archaeology kits for kids. One was an excavation site, that had a trilobite fossil buried in sandstone.

The fossils inside the kits were real.
>>
>>2124159
>>2124167
Like everyone's saying, it's not worth that much.
The money for fossils is in weird and rare stuff.

Best thing to do would be to put it on a shelf or in a case, and enjoy the fact that you found a nice size trilobite.

If you choose to keep it on a shelf, or anywhere it could fall, use museum gel/wax to hold it in place. It shouldn't damage the fossil, and will keep it from getting knocked off.
>>
>>2124159
Why the fuck are you posting about your fossil here instead of taking it to a museum to get it revived by a scientist OP
>>
>>2124293
Hello /vp/
>>
What did the underside of trilobites look like?
>>
>>2124295
Like a woodlouse pretty much.
>>
>>2124167
Not really, oceans were full of these things for hundreds of millions of years
>>
>>2124159
This is a species of trilobite called phacops. It lived in the Devonian period, which is the last geological epoch where trilobites were still around. It is also quite a common species of trilobite and is usually preserved very well.
>>
>>2124176
*350 million years ago
250 million years is the end of the Permian period, which marks the beginning of the Mesozoic which housed dinosaurs, not trilobites.
>>
>>2124159
phacops trilobite, worth around 5bucks
>>
File: rock 007.jpg (510 KB, 1000x776) Image search: [Google]
rock 007.jpg
510 KB, 1000x776
Anybody know what kind of fossil is this?
Found in central Florida.
>>
Take that shit to Cinnabar Island
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.