[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Trying to teach my border collie to fetch but she keeps dropping the ball. I can't get her to keep it in her mouth, she just picks it up and drops it. What do?
>>
did you try kicking her in the mouth everytime she drops it?
>>
try cutting her toes one by one every time she drops it, she might end up pawless but atleast she knows what happens when little pups like her screw up trying to pick up the ball, am I right?
>>
Some dogs are just born to be fetchers and some really don't give a shit. I had to teach my Aussie how to fetch. I started by crouching and having him directly in front of me, then rewarding him everytime he picked up the ball and dropped it in my hand. Once he got the hang of it, we increased the distance gradually over time. Now that he's actually pretty good fetcher, I don't use the food reward anymore cos the reward is throwing and chasing a ball.
>>
Start small.

Drop the ball, then when she picks it up, praise. After she gets that she had to grab it, just take a quick, excited step back when she grabs it next. More than likely, she will just follow you with the ball in her mouth. Praise!
Rinse, repeat, and gradually start dropping the ball away farther and farther away, and eventually start throwing it lightly. If she looks like she won't come back with it, run away while she had it in her mouth.

I wouldn't use treats at first, some dogs will drop whatever is in their mouths in anticipation of eating, so it might be counterproductive.
>>
>trying to play fetch
>with a fucking herd dog
I mean you can teach a dog anything but enjoy your uphill battle.
>>
>>2123618
Your parents used to post on SA? Filthy thief.
>>
>>2123812
They're not labs but teaching them fetch, or anything really is very simple
>>
>>2123812
What. Literally every herding dog I've met LOVES playing fetch. Especially dogs like border collies or farm collies that are bred to work doing various tasks, not just herding
>>
Some dogs pick up on fetch really easily and it just comes naturally to them. Some of them need to be taught, and can take a while to figure it out.

If she's having trouble with duration and distance (keeping the ball in her mouth on her way to you,) try reducing both of those things until she can succeed. Reward for that, and as she gets the hang of it, gradually increase distance and duration. Be patient because you might need to start out REALLY small. >>2123733 and >>2123788 had some great tips.

Good luck!
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.