[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/cat/ Cat General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88
File: if-i-fits-i-sits-01.jpg (172 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
if-i-fits-i-sits-01.jpg
172 KB, 500x375
Last thread
>>2100457

Post cats and cat accessories
>>
File: 20160118_182424.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160118_182424.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Kitty couch time.
>>
>>2118846
My mom has a retarded kitten too. Well, he's a cat how. A feral cat that got pregnant as a kitten is super possessive of him and always grooms him and sleeps with him and takes care of him. Her other cats tend to pick on him for obvious reasons, and ever since she got close to him she's protected him from the other cats and no one bothers him anymore. Even though he's years old and my mom still has two of the kittens from her litter, she looks after him like he's a baby. It's the cutest thing
>>
File: X cat.jpg (3 MB, 1768x2828) Image search: [Google]
X cat.jpg
3 MB, 1768x2828
So over two months ago my roommate X got a 6ish month old cat and everytime I look at her (the cat), she runs away. X keeps the cat inside her room all day even when not home and the few times she does leave her outside, she apparently won't explore even when I'm not home. When the cat is outside her upstairs room meowing to go in (as her owner's out), I've brought the cat downstairs, gave her water, and pet her to show I'm not a threat but she still shies away from me if I haven't picked her up or otherwise cornered her. Roommate Z has dogs that Xcat hates and the few times they're both out and about they like chasing her under my bed, so is that why her cat acts like that?

I live in the living room and when my other roommate Y had her cat around (she's moving out so she put him in her parent's place) she let him out all day and he'd always chill in my room when she wasn't home because it has water, more light, and I'd play with him or pet him. He came as a kitten so I can understand that he got more used to me.

Basically I'm asking if X's cat being weird or if that's typical of cats? X would go to Y's room even though they hate each other to feed Y's cat even after she got caught/lied about it before she got her cat (probably why she got her own). She's certified crazy so I'm wondering if it's a bad thing the cat doesn't leave her room? Like are there adverse effects of not exploring, socializing, or etc for cats? Could she be abusing her cat?

She hasn't told the apartment management and the idiot cat pokes her head out the front facing window of X's room and I don't want to be held accountable for it, especially if it becomes some anti-social monster.

Am I just being autistic?

Pic related: Xcat after me interacting with her.
>>
>>2118892
I thought it was bonsai kittens
>>
File: 20160510_021339.jpg (3 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160510_021339.jpg
3 MB, 3984x2988
This guy started hanging out at the house a few weeks ago. Pretty comfy on the couch in the garage.
>>
>>2119055

Cats hate change. Having room mates and tons of animals in the house is terrifying for a cat. I would just leave it alone. Play with it a bit in her room if she lets you, but don't force interactions with the dogs.
>>
Dogs r better xD
Lmao I kills cats for fun!
>>
File: 20160510_021623.jpg (1 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160510_021623.jpg
1 MB, 3984x2988
>>2119102
>>
File: IMG_20160428_162046.jpg (1 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160428_162046.jpg
1 MB, 2340x4160
Kot
>>
>>2118892
Why do cats do this?
>>
>>2119129
comfy
>>
File: Freeloader.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
Freeloader.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
>>
File: thewarpovertakingme.jpg (78 KB, 699x670) Image search: [Google]
thewarpovertakingme.jpg
78 KB, 699x670
kat
>>
>>2119118
Wew look at all that floof.
>>
File: 0510161014b~3.jpg (171 KB, 960x1250) Image search: [Google]
0510161014b~3.jpg
171 KB, 960x1250
My kitkats
>>
File: sarahbutt.jpg (69 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
sarahbutt.jpg
69 KB, 539x960
>Visiting your parents under the guise of missing them but really you just miss the family kitkat

I mean, my parents are wonderful folks and all, but...
>>
Wish I could have a kitty
>>
Planning to get a cat around July. Is there a super good guide out there? I've had cats growing up but basically just did everything my parents dictated in terms of care and I want to do it properly this time.

Already read up on food and it will have a wet food diet, hopefully BFF if I can find it. I'll read up on harness training as well. Also I'm not sure what it's called but I want to be able to bathe it without stressing it out (not regularly, just for when it gets into something or shits itself).

I want this cat to be as healthy and happy as possible. It will just be some mutt from the shelter but I want to give it a good life. I don't know if a super extensive guide exists but if any anons know some pretty good ones I'd like to read them too.
>>
>>2119251
I feel cats are fairly easy to take care of. Some tips:
>Shallow layer of liter is the tray; the cat may not like a lot of it
>Don't deodorize the litter box with perfume, especially anything smelling strongly of citrus; he'll stop using it.
>If a cat stops using the litter box, he may either not feel well and associate defecation (and the litter box) with pain
>Or feels that using the litterbox puts him in a corner of unsafe space
>Scratching post, get pls
>Toys and play make for great exercise
>Patience is a must, but that's true for any animal

I'm sure you'll do great!
>>
File: old cat.jpg (454 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
old cat.jpg
454 KB, 1600x1200
hey guys, I don't know which thread to post this in, but I figure this one will do

>go to vet with my kitty cat for teeth surgery
>inside the waiting room sits an elderly couple
>wow they are old, have white hair, very cute wrinkly skin
>they have a hard time walking but still lumber on.
>the old woman holds something close to her, wrapped in blankets
>she turns slightly, and this droopy, sad pained face of a persian cat looks at me
>his mane is so great, white and orange with a weird dash of gray at his tail, which leaks out of the blanket
>he's so weak he can't even hold his head
>the reason why they didn't have him in the cage is because he could barely move
>just laid there limp in her arms like a new born
>mom tells me later she talked to them
>the cat was 14 years old, got teeth surgery and got an infection they couldn't stop even when they put him through steroid treatment
>totally lost his will to live
>old man says " he's just not the same... it's just not working"
>they were there to putting him down
>they had to wait in line to essentially kill their little ball of fluff after him suffering immensely for three weeks

hold me /an/
>>
File: feelguy.jpg (79 KB, 450x800) Image search: [Google]
feelguy.jpg
79 KB, 450x800
>>2119247
Same
>>
Guess this is the place, I have a cat question. Mine over the last two days has lost control of his bladder and six times today has made a mess on the carpet. It's easy to clean up and doesn't smell or leave a stain, but it's still becoming a problem, and this is a rental unit I can't afford to have re-carpeted. He has kidney problems but I don't want to put him down yet because he still has good days. Is there anything I can do? He will use the litterbox, but more often than not the accident just happens before he can even get up to go to it.
>>
>>2119247
I've got three of the shits that follow me around whenever I walk out my back door.

You want one?
>>
>>2119521
a diaper maybe? cloth one, change it twice a day.
>>
File: banda.jpg (277 KB, 1156x712) Image search: [Google]
banda.jpg
277 KB, 1156x712
Just wanted to post a before and after of my little gordita.

She's a lot more active now and seemingly happier.
>>
>>2119598
nice weight loss progress, very sleek looking now
>>
File: 2016-02-18 11.37.10.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-18 11.37.10.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
How do I get my cat to be more cuddly? She's not totally antisocial but most of the time when I approach her she runs away (not out of fear though). When she does let me pet her it's not for long, she doesn't tolerate being held for more than a few seconds, and I have never once been able to get her to sit beside me and she will not cuddle even a little bit.

It's gotten me to the point where I wonder, what's the point? She's cute, but I want to actually cuddle her and enjoy her company and yet she's not reciprocating in the slightest. I care about her but she won't even indulge me a little bit, let alone seek it out like I want her to.
>>
>>2119648
its a living creature anon, sometimes they just dont want what you want
>>
>>2119648
my cat is the same way, and honestly i don't think you can change her. much like people cats have personalities, hers is more distant. think of it like this, you wouldn't force another person to cuddle against their will would you?
>>
>>2119653
>>2119663
But never wanting to cuddle ever? I mean, I understand if she's a bit distant but I'd like her to show a bit more love.

I know she has it in her; she seems to sense when I'm really down but usually doesn't want to get too close. I'd just like to see some more of her or to at least have her sit beside me.
>>
File: miso groceries.png (570 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
miso groceries.png
570 KB, 720x540
>>2119701
Cats will mellow out over time. My cat's around 6 years old now, and she's gotten more friendly over the years. Now she'll cuddle with me and demands attention at times, especially in the mornings. She still doesn't like being held though.

Maybe you just need to give it some time.
>>
>>2119706
Maybe. Luna is still a kitten so that might just be the problem. She's not afraid of me, she's just aloof.
>>
>>2119701
The older she gets, the more she'll calm down and the more she'll want cuddles and pets. It is the cycle of cat life. Kittens are destructive play monster, older cats are cuddle puddles. As they grow older, they play less and become more affectionate. If you want your cat to be omg, awesome affectionate, play with your cat constantly now. The more you interact with your cat, the cuddlier the cat will be as it ages. Think of it as an investment. Put in play, build up later cuddle time.
>>
>>2118892
>cat general
Who else is over 30, childless and single here?
>>
File: 0217161958.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0217161958.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
The little bastard and little brother I never had: Cas.
>>
If you guys wanna read some good cat retribution and horrible owners getting BTFO, this thread has it.
>>2116286
Turns out that OP had a kitty for 5 years without proper vaccinations or even a lick of general care. But once the cat was given to new owners by his sister, flea-ridden and missing patches of hair, he decided to post here about how much he "missed" his companion of 5 years and ask about ways to get her back, despite basically ignoring her basic needs for so long.
>>
>>2119764
>>>/reddit/ is that way
>>
>>2119721
I'm 27, childless, and single.
>>
>cats get fed the same amount
>get played with roughly the same amount in addition to playing with each other
>one has the body of a cat, the other looks like a loaf of bread with legs

why is one cat fat and the other not ?
>>
>>2119904
Different genes, just like why two people with the same diet and fitness levels can have different bodies. Your fat cat just needs more exercise and less food than the other to be slim
>>
>>2119721
I'm 18 and my boyfriend just broke up with me. One of you please be my sugar daddy
>>
>>2119721
Wizard here
>>
>>2119920
>Asking people in a cat general to be sugar daddies
Can't, too busy buying stuff for my cat
>>
>>2119920
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>2119721
yo, 33
>>
>>2119721
38, f, gloriously single, no kids
>>
>>2119721
I'm under 30, single, wish I was a dad but never will have kids. But I love my cats and weasels
>>
Daily reminder that every cat in the world wants to be drummed on the backside:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiVyueMFyqU
If you don't own cat drumming paddles yet you can do it with your hands.
Try out different speed, positioning and strength.
>>
>>2120099
Cats and weasels are better than kids anyway.
>>
>>2120134
Kids
>Cry constantly
>Want to borrow your car
>Want you to help pay for college
>Leave you when your old

Cats
>Independent
>Love you for you
>Won't die if left alone for 5 minutes
>>
>>2120134
You gotta have kits to raise the next generation of cat and ferret lovers
>>
File: peppercat.jpg (102 KB, 533x707) Image search: [Google]
peppercat.jpg
102 KB, 533x707
>despise housecats because they're environmental scourges, the weeds of the animal kingdom, that only exist in such dangerous numbers because people think they're cute
>love my own cats to the point where I'd die to protect them

h e l p
>>
>>2120101

I'm pretty sure that you're jacking off your cat.
>>
File: cade.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
cade.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
>like taking pictures of my cat because he's handsome as fuck
>only have a shit phone camera
>can't justify spending $100 on a camera for the sole purpose of taking photos of a cat
>>
>>2120211
>hating an animal for being evolutionarily successful even though it's symbiotic to the species you belong to

Somebody has drank far too much of the /an/ cat hate koolaid.
>>
>>2120211
>blaming a kot for being the best at what it does (achieving merciless slaughter of all living things that fly, walk, and crawl upon the earth.)
>>
>>2120219
>can't justify spending $100 on a camera for the sole purpose of taking photos of a cat
...You can't?
Also, cute kat
>>
>>2120219
It can take pictures of other things too anon
>>
>>2120219
like hell you can't
>>
File: ChgFicNW0AIZLtg.jpg (66 KB, 600x488) Image search: [Google]
ChgFicNW0AIZLtg.jpg
66 KB, 600x488
How the FUCK can I get my cat to stop scratching my furniture up? He's literally a perfect pet otherwise. Is it true that he'll keep scratching if he can smell his own scent on it? If so is there a way to remove that damn scent? I REALLY don't want to have to give him away :(
Yes he has several scratch posts that he uses

pic related, mfw I catch him ripping the couch up
>>
>>2118892
>tfw the store I work at some cat gets "adopted' every week but they always decide at the last minute to return him or just not pick him up.

Looks like me and kent have another week together.
>>
>>2120278

Why would I take pictures of things that aren't cats?
>>
File: two-cats-eating-watermelon.jpg (40 KB, 500x304) Image search: [Google]
two-cats-eating-watermelon.jpg
40 KB, 500x304
My kittens make a mess when they eat and get food all over the floor.

One dives in the bowl (and smells like food).. They won't eat from two different bowls, or even two different spots from the same bowl.

Is there anything I can do now or will they learn on their own over time?

They're eating dry food from a rectangular bowl about as big as one of them kitties.
>>
>>2120341
I guess it's not socially accepted anymore but I always got my cats declawed, because my mother before me had all hers declawed too. I'm glad I did, because there's no way I could've had them for almost 20 years if they continued to rip everything up. If it came down to having a cat with no front claws or no cat at all, I'd take the declaw. Maybe it's not an option for your or your cat is too old, I don't know, but just wanted to say don't be bullied by vets or society into not having it done potentially. My cats have all lived very healthy and happy lives without their front claws so I don't regret it. Whatever you do I hope you can keep your cat and find a solution.
>>
File: IMG_20160511_204144.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160511_204144.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
This fluffy little guy never leaves my side
>>
>>2120391
DELETE THIS
>>
/an/ my cat was really sick. We took him to the vet but nothing was wrong with his blood, other than him being dehydrated and anemic. I know he doesn't have FIV because hes never even been in contact with another cat since we've had him. He's about 15-16 now; I thought it was his thyroid, but now knowing that his thyroid, liver, and kidneys are fine, I think it might be lukemia. He got super skinny over the course of a few days and lost his appetite. He stopped drinking. Now the vet gave him perscription food and some steroids to boost his appetite. He's eating well, but I mix the steroid and water in a syringe and force it into him. How do I get him to drink? I change the water bowl frequently so it's not dirty, and it's not right next to his litterbox. Right now I'm keeping a tally of his good and bad days, because if he isn't doing well soon we'll have to put him down.

tl;dr how to get a sick cat to drink/eat well? How do I know when it's his time?
>>
>>2120391
It's not socially acceptable because you're amputating the part of the toe that the cat walks on. They have to relearn how to walk. It's not just their claws that you're taking out, it's a very important part of their paws, and it can cause behavioral problems that commonly lead to people getting rid of their cats, like litterbox issues, biting, or general neurotic behavior. It's better for the cats to just get a few scratching posts and encourage them to use those instead of your furniture.
>>
>>2120516
He should be getting the majority of his moisture through his diet, do canned food and add a little water. Cats will only drink when they are at least 80% dehydrated
>>
>>2120525
That's what I have been doing. A little water in the canned food. I set out a bowl marked where the water is so we can tell if he's drinking. I assume he'll still have to drink a little? He got fluids at the vet- he was super dehydrated and I don't want to see him go through that again.
>>
>>2120522
That depends on how you get it done. When I got my cat declawed, I went to an expensive vet that uses a laser for the surgery. This allows them to cut out the claw without damaging the paws, and the laser cauterizes as it cuts, cutting down on the chance of infection or phantom pain.

My cat's paw pads are completely in tact and he didn't have any trouble walking right after. He still "claws" on all the surfaces he usually likes to, and somehow manages to tear up the cardboard somehow. Recovery takes a matter of hours. The vet insists on keeping them crated for at least a day or two afterwords because the cats want to run and jump around on them as soon as their bandages are off.

If you do your research ahead of time and don't cheap out, it's no more inhumane then neutering. Both of these procedures result in long term side effects, but are still better then the alternative.

But that's just like, my opinion, man.
>>
found a very young cat, had it about a month now It has finally learned not to cross the road and come back at night.

supposed to go to the cottage to do some work tomorrow. My dad wants to take the cat so it can kill some mice.
Not sure if its a good idea or not, but i thought about.

Thought it might run away and become lost and a snack for bear or other wild animals.

Is my thinking right? i know they rely on scent to get back home and i am concerned that she may not get enough scent around the area in the time we are there to come back.
>>
>>2120211
Fuggen
>apples
>>
>>2120766
I wouldn't risk it. There will always be time to catch mice later when it's learned more of its surroundings. Keep it safe for now until it's better experienced.
>>
My cat died yesterday anons. I don't want to bring the mood down and don't want any attention, it just felt like somehow he needed some kind of acknowledgement, I can't really explain it and didn't know where else to really post. But if there's one thing I regret it's that I didn't take more pictures of him when he was in his prime. Almost 16 years and 75% of the photos came from the last month when he was starting to already go. To >>2120219 get that camera, it will be well worth it to take HD pictures, and more importantly HD videos, of your cat. I only had a really tiny 3 megapixel camera until last year so I only have three grainy short videos of him from before and now wish I could've gotten a lot more. I got a Canon point and shoot last May for $135 and it's completely worth it. Someday you'll really wish you had more.
>>
>>2120581

I used to work at one of those fancy, expensive vet clinics that did the laser declaw.

Unless something has drastically changed in the past year or so, laser declawing still removes the toe at the last digit, not just the claw. Removing just the claw is ineffective because they grow back. So it has a quicker recovery time, the wound is cauterized as it's made, but you're still amputating an important part of the paw, and running the same risks of lameness, back pain, neurosis, and all that not-so-good stuff.
>>
>>2121349
I'm sorry to hear about your cat, anon. I had to put a cat down last year. He had cancer and was going fast. He came to me later in his life, so we didn't have a very long time together. I got a kitten today and I'm reminded of how my old cat and I bonded when I pulled out a bagel and he really wanted a bite.
>>
File: small kot.jpg (51 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
small kot.jpg
51 KB, 960x540
>>2121484
Also, my kitten.
>>
File: Feels-Good-Man-Frog-02.png (133 KB, 354x363) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Good-Man-Frog-02.png
133 KB, 354x363
Is it weird that I absolutely love the smell of my cat's breath? I seriously can't get enough of that sweet, hot, fishy smell.

She gets pissed when I stick my nose in her mouth when she yawns, but whatever.
>>
File: 1463174235390551575348.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
1463174235390551575348.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
My little dude got neutered today and im sorta freaking out ive read at lesst ten different guides and each one is different do you guys have tips?
Also should he lick himself? He was doing it alot earlier but hes calmed down now, im still worried tho
Hes only been home an hour
>>
>>2121565
He's probably fine. I've volunteered at several veterinary clinics and the procedure literally takes 5 minutes. If something seems REALLY wrong take him to the vet again or just wait a few days and take him to the vet if he still acts weird after that
>>
>>2121526
operant conditioning.
>>
>>2121487
Are you going to introduce him to blinis?
>>
>>2121484
Thank you. I guess the full reality hasn't hit yet, since it's sad to look over at the bed and not see him there, but often he would be out in the other room basking in the sun so I half expect him to come trotting down the hall any minute. The vet said it was a combination of cancer and kidney failure, and he fought it very bravely the last four months but was getting extremely weak so I had to make the call. I still don't know if it was the right decision or if he could've gone another few days. I just hope he forgives me and understands.

Your new cat is cute anon, cherish him. The bagel bit reminds me of how mine would eat tiny pieces of pizza crust or cheese. He'd go nuts for that, and start running all around when he knew I had it.
>>
Always cute
>>
>>2121618
>I just hope he forgives me and understands.
Anon, those last few days would have been terrible for him. I believe you did the right thing.
>>
Other than ensuring the two get acquainted and socialize together during training, are there any big things I would have to do if I got both a cat and a dog to live together?
>>
why does my cat always sit on my phone when it's on my desk it's not warm and doesn't have a fancy case or anything it's just a black phone. it always chooses the spot where my phone is
>>
>>2121642
Thanks anon, I hope so. I put it off as long as I could. I justified it every which way that he had some more good days left in him, even on the day before he went, but by that night I knew it was just lying to myself.

This weekend I'm going to write down as many memories as I can think of so I don't forget. I've forgotten so much of the average everyday stuff over the years that now I wish I had either written down or gotten a photo of. To everyone here, document everything, even if it is just something seemingly boring like your cat sleeping on the bed. You'll be glad you had it some day, even if it's just to remember him/her in their typical mundane state.
>>
File: 20160502_104738.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160502_104738.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
Danny
>>
>>2121804
Do you like your phone? It's because your cat likes you and is jealous of it.

Do you dislike your phone? Your little buddy's trying to remove it from your sight.
>>
>>2121844
>It's because your cat likes you and is jealous of it.

Not that guy but mine would do that. I couldn't read a book or he'd come over and get on my lap and push the book out of the way. He could be in a dead sleep and I'd go get the book and within two minutes he'd wake up and be on me.
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 400x306
I've got a cat who has seemingly forgotten his house training, what do?

>4 year old fixed male
>had him two years, moved into new place last fall
>before that the only time he'd ever go outside his box was if I neglected to clean it for like a week or more
>in new house he craps outside it everyday almost, only does it while I'm at work, only poop, never urine outside the box
>have always cleaned the box every 2-3 days and that seems good enough for him until new house

I love my cat and I don't want to get rid of him but if I can't get the nigga to start using his box again it's either he goes or I lose my security deposit.
>>
>>2121869
A cat is worth more than a security deposit.

I clean my box every night. 2-3 days seems like a long time but maybe his tastes have changed and he wants it cleaner now. If he's using the carpet/floor in the same place every time put a second box in that spot too.
>>
>>2121869
V E T
E
T
>>
>>2120219
Most good cameras cost several hundreds.
>>
>>2122016
Why don't you tell me why you think I should do so instead of making a low effort shitpost?
>>
>>2122030
My apologies, I guess my post was not clear enough. I think you should take your cat to the fucking vet.
>>
>>2122032
Why? What makes you think I should take my cat to the vet just because he's too lazy to use his box?
>>
>>2122017
there's plenty point and shoot cameras that can take decent pictures, they're like 50-100 dollar.

I used to have one before I bought my Nikon.
>>
>>2121869
You may have put the box in a place that the cat feels is unaccessible or unsafe (e.g. dark place he can't see much at night, the household has the scent of a previous cat or other cats visit regularly).

It is also possible (but very rare) that your cat has constipation or some other bowel issues that causes him to experience pain when he shits, and he associates the pain with the litterbox instead.

Cats are also autistic as fuck creatures and it may never have readjusted from the move.

I recommend that for now you get a new litterbox somewhere else that is closer to the daily living quarters of yourself, even if the idea of it is offputting, and see if the cat takes to that or if the cat shits outside of THAT litterbox too.
>>
>>2122059
The box is already in my bedroom and isn't unaccessible in any way that I can imagine unless it being a covered box might be a factor. My roommates do have two small dogs and their house training also leaves much to be desired so I generally keep my cat in my room with the door closed so I don't have to worry about them using it as a bathroom as well.

I will purchase a new litterbox and try cleaning it daily. What can I do to confirm if my cat is constipated (besides vet) and remedy it if that is the case?
>>
My cat trills and vocalizes a lot. This is healthy, good behavior that I don't need to worry about, right?
>>
>>2122090
Yeah. Unless you think they're expressing pain or something, some cats just like to talk a lot
>>
>>2122092
That's good to hear. She makes her noises reliably when certain things happen, like entering a room, jumping up, or "greeting" people.
>>
>>2122094
Yup, that's normal. Sounds like my cat. He always has something to say
>>
File: miralax_LeftBanner_Img[1].png (96 KB, 223x298) Image search: [Google]
miralax_LeftBanner_Img[1].png
96 KB, 223x298
>>2122062
>covered box

Try uncovering it. Maybe he feels cramped inside or can't fit the way he needs to anymore. Or just the build up of smells inside there is too strong for him now. I babysat my friend's cats once who used a covered box. I couldn't stand it. Stuff would get on the walls and their tails would inevitably brush against it and they just felt dirty to me. Maybe he does too and can taste the grime when he grooms himself.

For constipation my vet recommended I give a small scoop of MiraLax powder in his wet food each morning just to keep him regular. I'd ask your vet first if they want you to do that, because I had another vet tell me they didn't recommend it, but two others I've gone to strongly recommend it. I've been doing it about 2 years, nearly every day, and noticed no problems. He's 19 almost now. Some dissolved in his water bowl works too, I used to do that for awhile. The vet against it just cautioned not to over do it because their systems are sensitive. He recommended feeding the cat straight plain unflavored canned pumpkin. I tried that but mine just wouldn't eat it. My mom's old cat would love it and would eat that every day, so try pumpkin first over MiraLax since it's like all fiber and natural.
>>
>have two cats that used to be best buds
>move away, can only take one with me
>3 years later, move back and reunite the two
>the one I brought with me is fearful, hisses and runs away from the other
>because of this, he chases and terrorizes her
>can't leave them alone
What do? It's been two weeks and it isn't getting any better. I kept them in separate rooms for a few days. I tried playing with the aggressive one to distract him from chasing her. I've tried letting the scared roam the apartment to gain some confidence. Tried feeding, playing with, and giving them treats together. Nothing has worked. How can I make it so the scared one isn't afraid to walk around and the mean one will leave her alone?
>>
One of my cats won't stop peeing on my clothes and my shoes, and my roommate's bedding. She also peed in my box of game controllers and accessories, ruining a good chunk of them.
I've taken her to the vet and she doesn't have a UTI, vet said it's behavioural. I've tried changing the type of litter we use several times, we scoop it daily, and we have two boxes.
I don't know what to do, I'm at my wit's end. Is there something I could spray on our stuff to get her to stop peeing on it or any other advice?
>>
>>2122149
I don't think cats like citrus scent, so you could put maybe an orange or lemon airfreshener or maybe even some peelings near the spots you want her away from. They do make dog diapers if you need some temporary fix while you work on it and they're good for cats too. I don't know how to fix animal behavior but my mom kept a water bottle on hand to spray hers with when they did something bad and eventually they stopped. Negative reinforcement for areas she shouldn't go, positive treats for when she uses the box right I guess.
>>
>>2121869
Do you only flush the toilet twice a week too?
>>
I need advice on how to take care of two orphaned kittens.

They are a bit thin, but it doesn't look like they are dangerously malnurished. Their eyes are open and they run pretty fast. They also meow a lot whenever they see anyone until they exhaust themselves after 15 minutes or so.

I wipe their genitals and anus with a slightly wet toilet paper and immediately after that I feed them warm cow milk via a needleless syringe every two hours (except at night). I keep them outside in our garden in the hot weather because my mom won't let them stay inside. I left them a carton box cushioned with a small blanket in the shade to sleep in.

Anything I'm doing wrong? Anything else that I should do?

Also, at what age do they become independent enough to survive on their own and what is the best way to get rid of them? My mom won't let me keep them.
>>
>>2122216
>I feed them warm cow milk
CEASE!
Got get kitten replacer milk (the preferable option) or at least goat milk
>>
>>2122191
No I live in a barn, I poop in a bucket and wipe with moss, any other dumb questions?
>>
>>2122216
>>2122219
Also, check if they have fleas. If they have a lot, you may need to gently give them a bath with dawn dish soap.
I'd really suggest bringing them inside. WHy is your mom so against it?
>>
>>2122219

I'll drive to the veterinirian tomorrow morning to get a KMR.

>>2122228

>Also, check if they have fleas.
I didn't see any so we are OK in that department.

>WHy is your mom so against it?
She is really allergic to them.

Thanks for the help.
>>
>>2122237
Buy her some allergy pills. Keep cats.
>>
>>2121526
Well I don't know about sniffing your cats breath, but I fucking love just laying my head on our cats and sniffing their fur in general. Or sniffing and giving head kisses. Ahh simple joys in life :)
>>
>>2121869
Definitely clean it every day to start. We had a cat randomly start doing that and we thought he was upset with new smells or just angry with us in general as they can do that too, but turns out he wasn't feeling well (chronic kidney failure that didn't present enough to see til too late). So maybe take him to the vet if this keeps happening just to make sure he's doing ok - no blockages or whatnot. And also like others have said maybe another litter pan?

Has anything else changed in the new place since the move? New anything? They are creatures of habit and their routines getting messed up can cause issue too. Did he start the poopin immediately when you moved or a while after?
>>
File: disgusted_kot.jpg (51 KB, 604x550) Image search: [Google]
disgusted_kot.jpg
51 KB, 604x550
>>2121869
>Not cleaning the litter box every day
Do you like the smell of shit coming from it or enjoy forcing your cat to step in his own feces?
>>
how is a ragamuffin, I would like to get one sometime in the future and heard its pretty healthy
>>
>>2122399
>chronic kidney failure that didn't present enough to see til too late

How old was he and how late did you detect it?
>>
File: image.jpg (410 KB, 1664x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
410 KB, 1664x1080
Bruce
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 640x1136
>>2122503
Bruce and Selena
>>
File: image.jpg (111 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
111 KB, 640x1136
>>2122505
Dave and Bruce
>>
/an/ my cat is amazing, her name is Trubel, she appears to be a maine coon but im not exactly sure. anyway

im wondering what to do. i'm struggling to find a job, and i have some sort of mental issue where doing anything is exhausting so i can never bring myself to clean the litterbox more than once or twice a week, and so im running low on food and eventually litter. i don't want to give her away to a stranger, but the only other person i can give her to is just as poor as i am, if not worse. wat do?
>>
>>2122610
correction, she might be a ragdoll.
>>
>>2122610
Get a therapist
>>
>>2122616
how does that help my cat?
>>
>>2122610
I'm sure you love your cat and don't want to give her away. Just make the effort to clean the box more. It only takes a couple minutes, how exhausting can it be? You can get cheap cat food to hold you over temporarily, but I don't know about litter. I guess WalMart might have some budget litter or you can ask the vets if they have some spare they can loan you. Do you have parents or friends that can loan some money? If you tell them it's for food I'm sure they'd help.
>>
>>2122626
i have grandparents but its difficult to get to them. it costs me money every time i want to make the trip and eventually i won't have any transportation. they'd probably help.

its not that things are physically exhausting, its more like...doing things takes more effort. cuz life sucks n shit. but my personal problems arent the issue. it's how im going to take care of cat due to problems

thanks for helping m8
>>
>>2122627
I hope it works out and you get stabilized soon. I haven't had a job in years so I know what's it like, but no matter what I'd give up anything else before my cats. Just hang in there, your cat needs you. You're all she's got.
>>
>>2119417
;_;7
>>
File: DSCF8059.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
DSCF8059.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
This is Erebus playing with one of our improvised toys. He had a nightmare earlier today, moaning in his sleep, was poofy-tailed and hissing when I shook him awake. But he recovered just fine and is happily spazzing up and down the hall at the moment, knocking a pop bottle lid around from the sound of it.
>>
>>2122503
>>2122505
>>2122506
Good kots, good names.

>>2122692
>Erebus
HEY GUY. All grown up!
>>
>>2122503
>>2122505
>>2122506
Your cats are really photogenic, esp Bruce in that last pic
>>
What is the appropriate amount of cats to have?

My grandmother always said two, so one could keep the other company. Any more than that was nuts.

Was she right?
>>
>>2122961

One is fine if you've got the time to play/snuggle with it daily to keep boredom from setting in. And there's always the small chance that two cats will end up hating each other, plus that more than doubles the amount of cat litter needed if they're indoor cats.
>>
>>2122965
If I just got one I'd worry how lonely he'd be if I was at work all day.
>>
>>2119118
"Kot" is a word for shit in german
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 400x477) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 400x477
My Maine coon cat "Moe"
>>
>>2122968

If you're set on getting two cats, adopt two that have lived together before. Many cats don't like the company of their own species and while most of those will eventually learn to tolerate another cat, it kind of defeats the point if they were supposed to keep each other company and instead they carve your household up into separate territories and ignore each other's existence at best for the rest of their lives. One cat is also perfectly fine provided they're not neglected when you're home, cats tend not to be very clingy animals and they're generally fine spending some alone time fitting in some of their many grooming and sleeping hours.
>>
File: WP_20160515_18_19_45_Pro.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160515_18_19_45_Pro.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1456
Hi, my cat has been sleeping a whole lot lately, and the way she sleeps is pic related, with her head resting on the ground. Should I be worried?
>>
>>2123114
No, that cat looks perfectly content. You just wanted to post a picture and brag about your handsome cat didn't you?
>>
Is there any place that lets you make custom lapel pins of your cat? I wanted one of my mom's cat to give to her but the sites I find that do them only sell them in batches of like 100 at a minimum. I just need one.
>>
File: ringo.jpg (593 KB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
ringo.jpg
593 KB, 1936x2592
This is Ringo. He's a shithead.
>>
Welp.

I found a cat outside my apartment like march or some shit. Female, young, hungry, no collar.

It got attached to me and then one day it got out in the early spring and had an adventure for a weekend.
Neighbour apartment said he saw it early in the morning with a tomcat. Sure enough he was with her at like 4 am the next morning by the shed.
Soon as i went out they split ways but she came back next day.

It has been like 3 weeks since and have feared she is pregnant. Eats a bit more. Got bigger. Affectionate (always has been).
Nipples are a bit pink but not any bigger.

I dont mind taking care of a stray. But not her and a litter of 6 more. Place is too small and money is too tight around here for that.

I know i cant kill the kittens but what are my other options? My thought was wait like 2 months and bring them outside near town let em loose.
Or call the shelter soon after they are born where they will probably be euthanized sadly.

Didnt intend for it to happen like this but it did.
Gotta get her spayed now. She wont go on the high way any more and comes back at night.
Ran out onto the yellow line on busy road outside (basically highway due to traffic). Nearly got nailed then refused to cross again. Hasnt gone near the toad since...

Wut do /an/??
>>
>>2123255
Also inb4 "you're a horrible owner and a giant fagget"
I dun goofed so have at me.
>>
>>2122620

Its generally not the best idea to get a weak old lady to help pull you to safety from a cliff as you will probably fall or worse both of you.

Point we are making is this: start with your own health and well being so that you can take care of your loved ones. Including your animals.
>>
>>2123255
A cat's gestation period is like ~65 days. Schedule a spay within the next week or two and they'll just abort the kittens during the surgery. Much better than letting them loose to go breed countless more ferals.
>>
>>2123163
fuck you he's a cutiepants
>>
>>2123114
Does she have a fever? Have her eating habits changed? Is she pissing or shitting in an unusual way? Is she walking funny or licking/chewing abnormally? Is she exhibiting hair loss or some other skin condition? Is she refusing to play when she normally would?

I'm guessing the answer to all of those is "no" or else you'd have mentioned it. Cats sleep all the fucking time, unless she's gone full narcoleptic it's probably not a big deal.
>>
>>2123027
So if I live alone and work a 9-5 is it fine to get a single cat?
>>
>>2123163
He's a cute shithead

>>2123358
I'm gone for 6 hours a day for school and 3 hours for work and have one cat so I'd say yes, depending on the personality of the cat

My cat grew up in an only cat household since I was a child and hates other animals and he does get super affectionate and cling to me when I am home and on the weekends, but he's not depressed or anything. He's also 12 but he's fairly active and he definitely doesn't sleep all day

If you're only getting one cat, adopt an adult one that has been raised alone
>>
File: ragdoll_cat[1].jpg (21 KB, 700x560) Image search: [Google]
ragdoll_cat[1].jpg
21 KB, 700x560
Are health problems a big thing for cat breeds from certified breeders?
Specifically thinking about getting a ragdoll.
>>
>>2123358

Yeah, after kittenhood the vast majority of cats are fine being alone during the working day, they sleep for around 16 hours a day so they quickly learn 9-5 is a good time to nap in the sun and then they can be more active in the mornings and evenings when you're about. It really depends what you want - if you want two cats, it's not difficult to find a pair that enjoy each other's company, if you want one, you'll have your pick of dozens of cats that would be quite happy as the only cat in the household.
>>
>>2123412

Yep. Apparently, ragdolls have such a dulled fight-or-flight response that they just let themselves get mauled from time to time.
>>
>>2123444
Is that a problem if they're kept inside? Since that's what you're supposed to do anyways

And any breed of cat or dog will have health problems since they have a limited gene pool and selective breeding does away with the whole survival of the fittest, but some breeds are healthier than others. They don't suffer problems like Scottish folds or munchkins do
>>
My wife finally pressured me into adopting a second cat and our first cat (14/f, had her since she was ~10) is absolutely livid.

New cat is a 3yo male, real friendly and lived with other cats at the shelter but old cat isn't keen. She got up just as I went to bed last night, started scratching on the door of the room he was sleeping in and slapped him through the gap under the door. New cat is roughly twice her size (she weighs 5lb or so) but is really placid.

Only the second night with him here, so it'll take some more time. He was keen on exploration last night but after the slap incident he doesn't want to go out, I've been familiarising him with the apartment by locking the old bag in the bedroom and forcing him out into the main room so he has a walk around.

Anyone got a name idea for that big black bastard on the left?
>>
File: kots.jpg (371 KB, 1418x950) Image search: [Google]
kots.jpg
371 KB, 1418x950
>>2123482
And I forgot the image. Might get a better photo when he's up and about more, at the moment he usually lies on his blanket next to the toilet and stares.
>>
File: DSC_0166.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0166.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
So it's been a couple of months sense I adopted my cat now, 2 months now I think. I really get the felling that she likes me seeing how she spends most of her time in my room, will stroke my hand 8/10 times when I extend it to her and took a shit and piss on my bed for being away for a couple of days.

However she does not seem to like my enough to sit in my lap, be next to me in my bed or spend much time at all on my bed (when I first got her then she spent most of her time on my bed). Cat's are weird
>>
>>2123358
It just depends on the cat. Some are super clingy and need attention all the time and others are content just to be alone even when you're home. When I would leave for even a little bit my dad would tell me my cat would yowl because he missed me. You won't know what happens when you're gone, but I'm sure to some degree they will miss you. Just don't get a high maintenance cat if you plan to be gone most days.
>>
Is it normal for female cats to have kind of a protective sack between their stomach and their girl parts? I had her spayed as a 6month old kitten and from what I've looked up a saggy belly could also be worms. I've felt down her spinal area as worms could also eat the fat sacs from there and felt no sharp bones poking out so I hope she doesn't have them.

It kinda looks like this only a small bit less protruding.

I'll post images I could capture as best I could in the next reply
>>
My friend just got a cat. I'm more of a dog person, although I like cats too, I just don't know a lot about them.

What are some of the best cat foods I can recommend to him? He wants to feed a combination of dry and wet food (and "lots of meat nothing with junk they don't need") if possible.
>>
File: IMG_0521.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0521.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2124576
2/3
>>
File: IMG_0526.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0526.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2124580
3/3
>>
>>2124576
That's the primordial pouch. It's normal.
>>
>>2124586
Ah thanks, it really does seem close. Probably gonna take her to the vets either next week or at the end of the month either way for her dental check up and her general check up just in case and to make sure everythings going well with her.
>>
>>2124579
I give mine Nature's Instinct for dry.
>>
File: IMG-20160517-WA0009.jpg (115 KB, 959x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160517-WA0009.jpg
115 KB, 959x1280
Sup anons, I was getting home and this cutie showed up next to me, to be quick, it just strolled around a bit and lazied around me, had the chance and petted it. I really like cats but due to part of my family being allergic to fur I can't adopt one.
Anyways this and some other 2 cats have frequently been here at home. My questions are: What are the health dangers of being with those cats?(diseases aren't cool) Any tips for "making their stay more comfortable "? As they're always here thought I could get some love and maybe actually even lure more cats.
>>
>>2119326
To add on this, do NOT EVER get a kitten. They may have the sweetest gentlest personality in the world, but as soon as puberty hits they could become as antisocial as they can get.

As a general rule of thumb, if they are old enough to be spayed/neutered, then they are old enough to have the basics for their adult personality already built in. So look for a somewhat mature one that is sweet and affectionate. They will be so for the rest of their life.

Unless you are stupid enough to fuck the poor cat up somehow.

Also, on the issue of the litterbox, you should always have one more than the number of cats you own.

So, since you will have a single cat, you should have two litterboxes.
>>
>>2124634
>That cat
CUTE!

Well, they probably have some fleas. As long as they don't bite or scratch you, you'll be fine. If it cozied up to you so much, I suspect it might be someone's outdoor cat. Just watch for signs of sickness. If you're sure they don't belong to someone, maybe get em fixed if you can.
>>
>>2119701
>>2119648
Just smoke some good indica with her, anon.
>>
>>2119721
27, single, still living with my mother. No kids of my own.

Do I win?
>>
>>2119721
>tfw I raised one of my cats from the time her mother died after giving birth
>tfw she's just as much of an ingrate as any child
>tfw I still love her
Feels good
>>
>>2122142
Take a damp cloth (NOT moist, only damp) and use it to gently rub and pet the scared cat all over her cheeks and head. Take this cloth covered in her scent over to the aggressive cat. Repeat process. Take the cloth back to scaredy cat and repeat process.

Do this multiple times a day until they are both smothered in each others scent.
>>
>>2123163
is he a good drummer?
>>
>>2122692
Damn he's almost a year old now
good job m8 keep posting pics
>>
Why haven't these been domesticated? They look like so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oSh_zOaVFk
>>
>>2124754
Has anyone bred an ocelot hybrid? The ocicat isn't actually related to the ocelot before anyways mentions them
>>
File: DSC_0614.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0614.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
I recently discovered this bald spot on my cat's neck.
Anyone know what this could come from?
>>
File: DSC_0613.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0613.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>2124791
Another picture.
>>
Hey lads, got a problem here. I saved a 4-5 week old female kitten from a car engine, she got her first controls at vet and now she is home for 3 days. i got a male cat but he isn't neutered yet, he is a year old. i did introductionary stuff with using scent, an isolated room etc. i finally made them meet. they didn't hiss, they didn't scared, hanged around some time like 30 year old pals. but then my male cat tried to fuck her no matter how many times i push him apart.

my question is -i know female cats can't be pregnant before 4 months-, should i let him fuck her? i don't have money to neuter him atm. can she handle it or should i wait till i neuter him?
>>
File: 1412208708384.jpg (97 KB, 533x725) Image search: [Google]
1412208708384.jpg
97 KB, 533x725
>>2124806
wait you stupid cunt
>>
File: the weak should fear the strong.jpg (138 KB, 684x653) Image search: [Google]
the weak should fear the strong.jpg
138 KB, 684x653
The older one's name is Lego.

The smaller one, my wife wanted to name her Pixie or Pixel, but it turns out personality-wise that she's kind of a spastic retard, so I call her Pickles.
>>
>>2121484
>>2121349
This is why I don't want pets, I can't handle stuff like this
>>
>>2124576
It's pretty normal, one of my old cats had a real large one since she got spayed. Thought it was swelling when i adopted her (still had the stitches in) but never really went down.

Didn't matter, she was a great cat. She lives with my brother's gf now, at least she cares for her more than my mum did.
>>
File: 4607_90510789221_7084517_n[1].jpg (28 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
4607_90510789221_7084517_n[1].jpg
28 KB, 604x453
>>2124823
>>
>>2124808

she is literally chimping at other room "pls let me out", guess im gonna stop being a jew and neuter my male cat
>>
>>2124576

It's the primordial pouch and it's a normal part of cat anatomy.
>>
>>2124806
>should i let him fuck her?

So you're asking if it's okay for your adult cat to rape a kitten? Get the fuck out of here before I call animal protective services.

Get both of them fixed for the love of god.
>>
What's going on with my cats?

I recently got a new one, we brought her home with the food she was eating at the kennel. Shots and health all updated. Every other day she would throwup after eating. I just assumed she was eating to fast, especially in presence of my other cat.

About a month ago my original cat started throwing up after eating (not as often). He has never done this.

They both haven't lost any weight. They are both just as active. They still scurry for treats. And they both still get excited for feeding time. (three times a day 6 hours apart)

The food has no grain.
>>
>>2124983
My cats did this.
One barfs with free feeding, eats to much.
The other barfs with planned meals, trying to hog all the available food.

I just said fuck it and free feed. Id rather let my cat get alot of food then make the other feel like there wont be enough,
>>
>>2124806
Stop being a cheapskate and get them neutered like you should have in the first place

There are many spay/neuter programs for people who cannot afford to get their pets fixed and provide cheap/free surgeries or financial help to get your pets fixed, just Google it. If you can't find anything call your local ASPCA/shelter/vet about places that provide cheap/free spaying and neutering
>>
>>2124983
>>2124994
They might be sick so if they display other symptoms you might want to take them in. The kennel might have missed something

And for both of you, you could try a slow feed bowl. My cat used to throw up but stopped after I got him a slow feed bowl

If one of them hogs all the food then feed them separately. But then in different rooms to eat, and I've seen cats trained to sit inside a carrier/cage to eat to protect them from the other cat (you just let them out after they're finished)
>>
File: Whiskers.jpg (24 KB, 417x381) Image search: [Google]
Whiskers.jpg
24 KB, 417x381
My cat died this morning, what should I do with the body
>>
>>2125029
I'm sorry anon. In my area almost all there is is cremation since it's a big city and they don't have places for animal cemeteries. If you don't want to do that or can't bury him/her where you live, like in your yard, one thought I was contemplating was driving far out into the country and finding a nice spot, somewhere isolated and calm where there would be no disturbance and doing the burial there. I ended up not doing that because when I move out of the area I don't want to feel like I'm abandoning him and leaving him behind. At least with the ashes I can take him with me and set up a memorial in a room in the house.
>>
My cat Mia. Adopted her from the shelter. We wanted a kitten at first but she was so friendly with us that we took her with us. :) She acts like the boss now that she is used to our home and us, doesn't like petting very much but loves to sit on everyone's lap.
>>
>>2119712
My old guy was like that. Sort of.
We got him way too young as a rescue and he was beyond affectionate. Then puberty hit and he got rowdy and aloof. He's 3 years old and has done a complete 180 in that regard. Every morning he nuzzles into my arm, he regularly demands attention during the day and when I get ready for bed he's sitting there impatiently so he can cuddle into my legs.
It was impossible to hold him for more than five seconds between him hitting six months and 2 years of age as well. But now he's ridiculously patient with everything.

The little cat made a similar development so far, being seven months old. Super extremly cuddly when young, getting more aloof as puberty looms, currently affects to hate all physical contact (until she's tired, then all bets are off and how dare you not give her attention...). I fully expect her to calm down a hell of a lot in the next few years.
So yeah, be patient. And like the other anon said: invest in play time now, the pay off will be tons of cuddles later.
>>
>>2121565
Let him mourn in peace, man.
>>
File: harry.jpg (698 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
harry.jpg
698 KB, 2592x1936
Decided to call this big bastard (handsome) Harry. He's alternating between hiding next to the toilet (old hiding spot), hiding under the bed (new hiding spot) and walking around with the occasional stare-off with the new cat.

Took him to the vet and he's a bit skittish since, was shaking like a leaf in there. Weighed him and he's a bit over 13 pounds, while my old cat would barely be tipping 5.
>>
>>2125338
I love Harry's socks and cravat!
My cat is named Harry too and is similar weight and color.
>>
File: catyawn.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
catyawn.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1440
Caught my cat mid-yawn.
>>
File: 1356604281200.jpg (722 KB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
1356604281200.jpg
722 KB, 3648x2736
Look how big my cat is!
>>
File: 1437040931610.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1437040931610.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
My family's cat passed away yesterday. He was 13 and we had him since he wandered in as a stray kitten from god only knows where. Apparently it was lung cancer that went undetected until a week ago when he began exhibiting symptoms. And by then it was way too late. Even though I moved out of the house years ago, and I hadn't seen him in a while, I was still pretty attached to that cat. So, it's hitting me hard. I've cried it out, and now I just feel empty and depressed. I'm sitting in front of my computer, and I have shit to do, but I don't want to move. If I could, I would call in to work tomorrow. I loved that cat. He was a cool, badass tom who once chewed one of his own paws off to get out of a beartrap; he was also very loving. Before I heard that he was sick, I was thinking that I should go back to the house and visit him. But I can't. He's gone.
>>
File: 00h0h_iiD7SrnqoKE_600x450.jpg (27 KB, 600x448) Image search: [Google]
00h0h_iiD7SrnqoKE_600x450.jpg
27 KB, 600x448
Lol, I found this disheveled mess on CL a while back. he was gone the next day.
I still regret not getting him.
>>
>>2125445
I'm sorry, anon. Just remember all the good times you had with him, that's what's important now.
>>
File: 1451806733908.png (848 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1451806733908.png
848 KB, 1366x768
>>2125445
Sorry, man.
>>
File: CAT.jpg (32 KB, 400x533) Image search: [Google]
CAT.jpg
32 KB, 400x533
can someone tell me what breed is this guy. this guy is from NZ
>>
>>2125476
Looks like it might be a cat.
>>
>>2125476
we have been together with my partner for 3 years, but now that my partner has left for china and I may also leave NZ in a few months time. I'm thinking about transporting him over to china to join us. Any tips about importing cats?
>>
File: missy.jpg (812 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
missy.jpg
812 KB, 2592x1936
>>2125386
Thanks! He seems good natured but still needs to settle in. He and the old cat are starting to get along, no yowling or fighting but they aren't cuddling up to each other yet either.

Trying to get the two cats on a roughly equivalent diet. It's hard because one's almost 3 times the weight and used to wet food, while this old bat is 14 and normally only on dry food except for a treat. Now that he's getting wet food she has to get it too.

>>2125445
>>2125467
This. Remember the good times you had with him. Give yourself time to grieve and when you think you're ready, make a visit to the shelter and find yourself a new buddy.
>>
How come my friend's cat acts so ambivalently towards me?

If I feed the cat she's happy to eat off my hand, doesn't immediately run away if I'm holding her or she's somewhere safe, and lets me pet her (if she doesn't run).

But if I approach her (even on knees or low to the ground) and she isn't on the windowsill or under something she'll run and hide. She sleeps practically all day and is lethargic with me but energetic and playful with my friend. She makes zero noise at all with me but meows alot with him.

One thing I did is that when she first came I'd pluck her from her weird hiding spots and try to put her in places where she'd see more of house. He had kept her in his room for a long time before letting her explore and she doesn't seem to have much interest in exploring now even though the one time he let her out before she was more curious. Did I fuck up and make the cat anxious, or is this cat just not socialized well?

Also whenever other friends brought animals they'd mostly interact in my room. So she probably associates my room (and me) with scary (overly playful but kind irl) dogs and rapey male cats.

What do?
>>
>>2125445
I just went through that too, there's no answer. I just sat at the computer randomly clicking things because I didn't know what to do. It doesn't feel appropriate to go back to normal activities like nothing ever happened, but slowly you do. Just because your routine returns to normal doesn't mean you've forgotten him, though it kind of feels like it.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>2118892
Cat yin yang
>>
File: IMG_2048.jpg (4 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2048.jpg
4 MB, 2448x3264
>>2125445
I feel you anon. My cat, who's only 8 years old, has bone cancer in/by his brain stem that we just found out about a week ago. He'd been sick for a month and been to the doctor multiple times. They thought it was a cold and so did we, then he started eating very little and having trouble walking, plus tilted his head and had one eye noticeably less open than the other. The local vet reccomended an MRI from a neurologist and that's what we did. They gave him 4-6 weeks and I was beyond shocked and horrified. We got steroids to help with the tumor suposedly but every since he got the MRI he's just continued to go downhill. He's like a ragdoll almost, and has mucus slowly coming from his mouth, helping him not want to eat.

We're taking him in for one last doctor look today, then assuming they agree his condition's as bad as it seems, we'll probably have to put him down tomorrow. I wanted to put it off as long as possible to let him squeeze every bit of life left in him out, because he's too young to die. But now that he's getting worse and worse I suppose I can't.

Pic related, a pic from a couple years ago of my best friend. I wish you luck on getting through this, and same to myself.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Can anyone take a guess as to what's wrong with this cat?
He gets fed regularly and eats quite normally, and the owners tried deworming pills only to eventually find out he does not have worms anyways. That was a couple months ago.

Leukemia? Cancer?
>>
>>2125659
Update:
Just managed to catch him pissing.
His piss is frothy and foamy which leads me to believe it's kidney failure as well.
>>
File: pACE3-6324267dt.jpg (54 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pACE3-6324267dt.jpg
54 KB, 500x500
>>2118892
This is my favorite cat accessory.
>>
>>2125659
Being alive might be it's first problem
>>
>>2119055
Euthanasia might make it less shy, anon.
>>
>>2125668
Vet.

The cat needs blood work and a urinanalysis ASAP to determine the state of his kidneys. Generally, kidney disease is an end of life condition for cats, so prepare for the worst.
>>
>>2125679
Its not my cat but I informed them of my general knowledge of the situation.
They're more inclined to go straight to euthanizing, The cats apparently 16 (which is way older than I had thought).

All of my neighborhoods pets are fucking dying. Put my two dogs down in November, friend across the road put his down 2 months ago, other neighbors just found out their cat has brain cancer.
>>
Hey /cat/

dont normally post on this board but my cat of 14 years is currently at the vets, and were going to see her and put her down tomorrow
she out of nowhere stopped eating, drinking and moving, so we took her to the vet and she was almost in a diabetic coma
yesterday they told us if she improves we'd take her home by the weekend

today we went in and our vet told us she hasn't improved, and is likely brain damaged since she doesn't respond

im really sad guys

how do you deal with this
>>
File: DSCF8063.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
DSCF8063.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
>>2124751

Here he is kinda pissed because I kept lightly holding his tail. He can get pretty vicious when playing but stops completely when we're done. He doesn't go out of his way for petting or ear-scratching at all, but always has to lay by my head when we go to sleep and stays in the same room as me about 80% of the time.
>>
File: DSCN0068 - Copy.jpg (2 MB, 2576x1932) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0068 - Copy.jpg
2 MB, 2576x1932
>>2126023
get another cat
>>
>>2122692
Oh man, feels good to see Erebus again. He's gotten so big!
>>
File: WP_001960.jpg (260 KB, 1296x972) Image search: [Google]
WP_001960.jpg
260 KB, 1296x972
my cats

does the right cat's face look weird?
I'm worried that he might have something even if the vet saw them and said they're ok
>>
>>2126023
I'm sorry to hear that, man. Unfortunately, there's no quick-fix to dealing with it. The best you can do is mourn and look back at happy times. When you're ready, another cat might be able to help you with it.

>>2126113
His left eye is held a bit closed (in this pic), but I don't think it's anything to worry about. It'll probably go away as it gets older. Even if it doesn't, it's most likely only cosmetic. Just watch for signs of vision impairment that might cause him to change how he holds his eyes open.
>>
>>2118892
why are some catowners such dicks?

Moved across the hallway into a bigger apartment and wasn't informed that the previous renter was a cat person. They had a litterbox and mat in the bathroom on a sealed concrete floor. I'm 99% certain that this mat got piss soaked and when they peeled it up it took the seal off where it was fucking BOUND to the floor. Now I have unsealed concrete and cat piss smell that the idiot maids had no idea how to clean up, and the landlady sent the SAME MAIDS to try and clean it. I'm allergic to cats, I can't have any piss odors in my bathroom from them.

So I'm buying a goddamned blacklight and some enzyme cleaner to hopefully rectify this.

OH and I found a cat turd under the doorframe. Thanks cats, you're the best sometimes.
>>
>>2126219
I wouldn't say it's a cat owner thing, just a faggot that happened to have a cat, and thus was a dick owning their cat.
>>
>>2126174
>>2126051
Thanks anon. Just got back from the vet. Got to spend a few moments with her before the injection. She was barely lucid and it was painful to watch. After he injected her and said that she's basically non-responsive, she wasn't even very different from before. I'm not sure if she even recognized my entire family. It really fucking hurt, man.

Does getting another cat really help?

I have another cat and a dog, and even though I always thought I'd just get a new cat if one passed, I'm starting to understand the whole "won't replace her" feeling. Maybe I just need time, and a new cat would be nice. My other cat is the daughter of the who passed, so I worry for how she's going to feel when she notices she's not around. I don't know if I'm even really asking for advice. Just really sad and I know you guys probably understand this feel seeing as how it's a /cat/ general.

Please pet your cats in memorium for Aniojek, even for a random anon for me.
>>
>>2126252
Mourn like you lost a family member, because you did. Remember the happy times, and have comfort knowing that you did what you could to minimize theit suffering.

Do what you feel is right. We all mourn differently. Listen to your heart.
>>
>>2126261
>Mourn like you lost a family member, because you did.

Thanks for saying this. I'm glad I haven't had to hear the whole "at least it was just a cat" thing from someone yet. She was my first pet at age 6, and now she was 20. Really loved her so much, and I'm gonna miss her greatly. It helps to know that people out there understand. I'm prescribed benzos for anxiety and they've been helping already in keeping my mind off of it, but I still can't help but break down when I see a photo or favorite item of hers. Feel even worse for my mom, Aniojek slept in her bed every single night for around 15 years. I can't imagine how she'll feel tonight.

It'll be a rough while but I'll just try and channel what I'm feeling into time spent with my other pets. Thanks again.
>>
>>2126275
>>2126275
>now she was 20

now I'm 20*
>>
>>2126045
So cute! I love black cats.
Speaking of which, I got this little guy about a month or so ago. He is about 3 months old now, and not neutered. He's definitely a lot different than my last cat. He's way more energetic, play bites alot (I've been working on it) and is very very vocal. Super cuddly though. Any tricks on getting cats to stop biting other than ignoring it? Also, is neutering him that important? My mom insists it is because he will probably spray, but I think I want to wait and see.. I just really don't want to put him under and get his balls chopped, it makes me feel so bad to think about.
>>
>>2119055
the real question is why do you care so much?
>>
>>2126023
Sorry about your cat. There's no easy way to deal with it especially when it comes up out of nowhere. Just know you did everything you could reasonably do for her but this came up suddenly and without warning limiting your options. If there really is no other choice but to put her down at least know on some level you're helping her still by not letting her suffer with the brain trauma.
>>
>>2126275
I just lost my cat too. I had him just about half my life. I knew him better than I've ever known any person. Just from looking at him and his body language I could tell what he wanted or how he felt. I didn't cry when my grandparents died, I guess because it was a long time coming and they had a full 80+ year life, it's different with people, but with a cat who only lives to be plus or minus 15 it hurts more because you wish they could've lived longer and still had so much more to experience. But when my cat died I cried every day for four days, and then it tapered off but still that first week was really hard. He was just about 16 and I was around him every single day for at least 15 and a half of those years. The only time we were apart was maybe a maximum of 3 days at a time when I was on a vacation and that final semester of college when I had to leave him with my dad for four months because graduating and moving out was stressful. I've never spent so much time with another living creature so it was really hard to lose him. They really are family, not pets.
>>
File: 1460941847470.jpg (84 KB, 500x419) Image search: [Google]
1460941847470.jpg
84 KB, 500x419
Where do you all buy kittens from? Maybe it's because I live in North Dakota, but I can't find a single pet store anywhere. Back when I was little and lived in New York I'd see pet stores everywhere, I think they even sold pets in K-Mart at one point. Did the internet and video games crush the pet store industry? Is there some amazon for pets website I don't know about?

I'm looking to get a Persian or Maine Coon kitten for my wife. We already have a 4 year old ragdoll cat.
>>
File: WIN_20160223_163153.jpg (54 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160223_163153.jpg
54 KB, 640x480
A kitten we fostered named toasty
>>
>>2119105
Are you even trying?
>>
>>2119648
just let your cat be themselves
>>
>>2120341
try deterent spray
>>
>>2120385
they will probably grow out of it
>>
>>2120516
if they won't drink put them on an iv
>>
>>2121737
yes
>>
>>2126346
don't buy kittens, adopt
>>
How long should I wait to declare a missing 19 year old outside cat dead?

Been almost two weeks and he's nowhere to be seen. Not in his usual hiding spots, not at our neighbors where he sometimes goes because they feed him.

For the past few months he's been really lethargic, almost never going past the driveway.

I'm kind of guessing he either got ran over (I live across the street from a highschool track & field and its track season and shit) or crawled into a hole somewhere and died.

Just wondering when I should start packing away the food and take out his bed and stuff from my front porch.
>>
>>2126313

If he's an indoors-only cat for sure, get him neutered. You don't want him trying to tear through the window or dart underneath your feet through the door constantly because he smells a female half a mile away. If he can go outside it's more complicated: neutering prevents future kittens from being born and starving to death in the winter, but your cat'll get his ass kicked if there are uncut cats around, and more prone to disease-carrying scratches. I'd still say neutering is the best option, myself.

As for biting, just be sure he has plenty of toys or string, and emphasize playtime with those instead of your bare hands. I still invite my cat to try and tear up my hands and he knows to quit after playtime, but most people don't like an assload of scratches so I can't recommend anyone doing the same.
>>
>>2126423
>For the past few months he's been really lethargic

And you didn't take him to get him checked out?
>>
>>2126435

He wasn't vomiting, there was no signs of pain, his shit looked fine, and he was eating normally, there wasn't really any signs that something was wrong with besides enjoying laying around all day.

And when I say lethargic he'd still still get up to follow me and shit. He just wouldn't move for people and would 't get out of the way when I'd try to park in the driveway for instance.
>>
File: Steve.jpg (569 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Steve.jpg
569 KB, 3264x2448
Why does my cat refuse to enter the other half of my house?

My house is basically 2 halves connected by a hallway. One half has the living room, entrance and kitchen, and the other has the bedrooms.

I swear there's a forcefield keeping my cat out of the bedrooms, because he'll follow me around everywhere in the house, but as soon as I walk down the hallway, he'll freeze in his tracks and refuse to go forward. Sometimes he'll lean his neck over the "force field" but thats the most he'll do. He'll stare at me and meow as i walk away from him, but he wont ever follow me. If i try to carry him to the bedrooms, he immediately walks back to the same spot on the opposite end of the hallway to meow at me.

almost forgot to mention that I've had him for like 5 years now, and this has always been the case ever since he was a kitten.
>>
>>2126530
Wrap him up in a blanket and bring him along to the other side.
>>
>>2119648
Have you tried euthanizing it? I guarantee you can cuddle then.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 88

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.