[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do I get my dog to listen to me outside? Inside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1457089272208.jpg (213 KB, 1080x1776) Image search: [Google]
1457089272208.jpg
213 KB, 1080x1776
How the fuck do I get my dog to listen to me outside? Inside he does great, and will usually respond within three commands. He does sit great, shake, stand, down, leave it, watch me, stay... he does all the basics.

But outside he just doesn't give a fuck. I've tried treats. I've tried being a goofball with a toy he likes. I've tried saying his name and commands he knows when he is inside. If I yell and get upset it will get his attention, but I know that is counterproductive.

I love him to pieces, but I get so upset when we are out on walks and he just doesn't give two fucks about me. I don't know what to do. I just want him to not eat garbage on the ground, stay calm around other dogs, and leave a scent trail when I tell him to.
>>
Start with a group obedience class, work toward getting his CGC. If he still has issues work one-on-one with a professional. You are lacking a lot of training experience, this will help.
>>
>>2118885
I tried a professional one-on-one trainer once. It didn't really help him. I have taught him more on not pulling than I did with the trainer.

I don't want to sound cocky, but I don't know what a trainer would do.
>>
>>2118914
maybe try a different trainer then? they can be pretty different
>>
i agree with try a different trainer but if you insist on doing it yourself remember that being outside is a greater reward than anything you've been able to come up with, so you need to use that in your favor
>>
>>2118914
You sound cocky. Also, you're wrong.
>>
A vibration collar.
>>
>>2118861

I wouldn't get too upset. This is exactly how 95% of dogs act.

You're taking him from a low stimulation area that's completely under your control, so he's a bit bored and everything you do interests him, including listening to commands. To a high stimulation area where there is a million different smells and noises. There's always going to be an issue of keeping his attention.

The best solution is just keep training him on the lead while you're walking. It takes time and patience. Also don't worry about the marking, that will be hard to stop.
>>
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to call some places on obedience classes, and I am going to re-train him on our walks.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.