[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So we got a cockatoo as a pet about a week ago. My dad thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 720x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 720x900
So we got a cockatoo as a pet about a week ago. My dad thought it would be a good idea to bring it outside and sit on the hammock with my mom (to get the bird in on the Mother's Day action too). The bird flew away and hasn't come back. Mom hasn't stopped crying since.

Any tips on getting it back? Lol
>>
when your dad ends up getting a new bird because he basically just freed that one

clip it's fucking wings
>>
File: 1461211810428.png (86 KB, 283x262) Image search: [Google]
1461211810428.png
86 KB, 283x262
I don't know what he expected to happen.

You'd be lucky to find its body, let alone to actually get it back alive.
>>
>>2118181
He was a bit intoxicated. I think he's a little more sad that he just basically threw away $1,000 over losing the actual bird.

>>2118179
My mom didn't wanna clip the wings because it was inhumane. I kind of agree.
>>
>>2118182
well, i would argue the inhumane thing is keeping it as a pet in the first place. since it's already indoors and lives in a cage, clipping its wings won't really matter.
>>
>>2118190
I see where you're coming from but taking away a function of it's body is a little different from giving it protection from the wild and being a domesticated pet.
>>
File: 0-7645-5311-9_0603[1].jpg (47 KB, 525x680) Image search: [Google]
0-7645-5311-9_0603[1].jpg
47 KB, 525x680
>>2118182
>My mom didn't wanna clip the wings because it was inhumane. I kind of agree.

Clipping wings is just giving it a haircut/feathercut on a few wing feathers. They grow back. Nothing inhumane about it.
>>
>>2118194
Well now it's most likely dead. That's kind of permanent, unlike wing clipping.
>>
>>2118194
Not looking to start an argument, I've had a pet parrot myself, but as for what you said- it's highly unlikely a cockatoo is able to think "well, I might be bored out of my mind, but at least there aren't any predators here". All it knows is that it's bored, especially for cockatoos which are very intelligent and need constant stimulation. Also pet parrots are handraised and tamed, but not domesticated, so it's less ideal for them.

As for clipping the wings, it doesn't turn the bird into a flightless rock, they can still fly for a few meters until they get tired and simply descend to the ground.
>>
>>2118182
This isn't the same as declawing a cat. Your bird isn't going to be able to fucking fly away if you clip it's wings in the first place.

And they grow back 100% which is why you have to keep doing it.

If you don't clip your bird he is going to fucking fly away one day and you'll never get him back. Just one day you're bringing in groceries and walking through the door the next he is fucking gone.
>>
Wing clipping is like a haircut, but the bird can still fly a bit while humans cannot fly with their hair at all, both hair and feathers grow back
>>
>>2118218
That's do the it's person though. If you're gettin a parrot it's the same as raising a human child. They need constant attention and care. The bird can and probably will kill itself if you leave on vacation for a few days. Odds are it will at least hurt itself really badly because of the stress.

People don't fucking understand this when they get a pet. Most of them can't even care for a fucking cat let alone a bird that can live for 25 years.

clipping a birds wings is for it's own good the majority of the time. Unless you have an aviary where the bird has enough room to fly then you need to clip it's wings or it will hurt itself and/or escape and get killed within a day by a cooper or redtail.
>>
>>2118182
>>2118171
your family is fucking retarded.

Congrats, you just killed a $1000 bird.
>>
>>2118240
I couldn't imagine the responsibility of a cockatoo, let alone one of the longer lived parrots like Macaws that run the VERY real potential of outliving the owner.
>>
>>2118243
>>2118171
To add, DO NOT FUCKING GET A NEW BIRD.

You and your family are too fucking dumb and lack the responsibility to care for such an animal. I guarantee after a week you are just going to close the doors on it's cage and the only time you will ever do anything with it is when you feed it and clean it's cage once a year.

Do some fucking research. If you honestly think clipping wings is "inhumane" then you know fuck all about birds and shouldn't be getting one as delicate as you did.
>>
>>2118245
They don't live as long, but honestly, cockatoos are even more demanding than macaws in my experience. When you get to the big parrots, it's more like adopting a permanent toddler than anything else, it really is that high a level of commitment to do it right.
>>
>>2118245
people just piss me off so fucking much. There is nothing inhumane about owning a pet. It is inhumane to fucking get a pet and neglected it like the grand majority of people do.

Even owning a cat or dog is incredibly time consuming. You need to play with your anime and exercise them to keep up a healthy mind and body. Feed them properly. Don't give them fucking hamburgers and fries as "treats" and other table scraps.

The people that buy a dog that do nothing with him and wonder why he is so high energy and tears up their furniture is amazing. Then they either keep him chained up outside in his own filth or lock them in a cage for 22 hours a day.

I have a cat and a bearded dragon. The dragon takes a crazy amount of effort to insure her habitat is stable and the cat I play with 2 hours a day. Finding a new apartment is a pain in the dick because they don't allow pets but there are people in the world that would give up their family member just because their new apartment doesn't allow animals is a sickening reality.

People that give pets they have had for 8 years they give to a shelter just to have it killed in a week makes me want to murder those fuckers.
>>
>>2118249
at least with a toddler you can have a friend or something watch them for you over a weekend or whatever.

A cockatoo will practically cut it's wrists if you leave for a couple days.
>>
>>2118252
there are only 2 reasons you should ever get rid of a pet.

1. You are too sick to care for them
2. You Died.

Anything else makes you a terrible person.
>>
>>2118256
I don't know, I feel like if you are a mature enough person to see you got a pet you simply can't provide for whatever reason, not just too sick, for example, too extensive care, not enough money, etc., then find it a good home and don't get another one, that's fine too.
>>
>>2118256
Unrealistic
>>
>>2118258
You can usually tell that within a week though. That I guessssssssss would be ok but come on. If you are too dumb to google "how to take care of XXXX" and see what you are in for then you probably shouldn't get them in the first place.

it's not like having a baby where you got pregnant on accident or it's born with a mental illness. You know EXACTLY what you're getting into when you buy or adopt an animal. The papers they make you sign before hand clearly state that "I have done the research and know how to take care of this animal" before you hand over the money.

Just going out and buying an animal you know nothing about is the opposite of mature.
>>
>>2118265
>papers they make you sign
Where the fuck are you living? There's plenty of ways to get an animal without signing jack shit here.
>>
>>2118262
a pet is a family member. Your child.

if you wouldn't put your child up for adoption for any other reasons.

if you would dump a child at a shelter because your new apartment doesn't allow kids you're a shit person.

If "animals aren't human children though" just fuck off. If you and my cat were in a burning building you're going to burn to death. A human life is no more important than an animal that can live just as long as you.
>>
>>2118266
>animal without signing jack shit here.
Literally every petstore or shelter is going to make you sign some papers for anything more than a fish or reptile or rodent. Cats, dogs, large birds, ect.

Yes you can adopt a cat or dog from a friend but I'm pretty sure you need a license to breed birds and dogs in some places. If you live in a city animal populations are strictly controlled dipshit.

If you don't have to sign papers that doesn't mean you shouldn't do research before taking in an animal.

You're an idiot. Grats.
>>
>>2118267
I'm saying you are or aren't right, but it's still unrealistic because 99% of people don't see things that way and would consider that viewpoint pretty extreme. It's a fact that the vast majority of people see animals as tools and decorations that can be disposed of when problems arise.
>>
>>2118269
and I'm saying those poeple are shitty.

People that use animals as "tools" generally have a strong connection with their animals. Horses, dogs, mules, ox, cows, whatever. They know how much care is needed for that animal and do their best to keep it in good health and mind.

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a person that trains dogs for cops or as guide dogs treat their animals badly? Those type of people are going to be the ones that treat them the best.
>>
>>2118268
>literally every petstore or shelter
Shelter? Yes, there's paper work.

All pet stores though? Nah, maybe the big chains, but there's lots of little ones that don't. And those big chain's paper work? That's legal shit to cover their asses if the animal makes you sick or harms you, not a binding promise to take care of the animal, you dumb fuck.

You are way too fucking optimistic about how much people and businesses actually care about animal rights.
>>
>>2118272
>Animal rights
Oh boy...
>>
>>2118272
christ you're an idiot.

You legally have to prove you can own an animal before you can buy them. As in, your have to bring in your lease if you live in an apartment or they won't sell them to you.

Your head is so far up your own ass you can't see reality.
>>
>>2118272
>>2118278
as well, where the fuck do you live?

have you ever bought a pet in an urban city? Like, ever?
>>
>>2118278
You must live in some fucked up city because most places in America you don't gotta provide shit, just the money to pay.
You're the one assuming it's the same everywhere as where you live, I'm telling you the reality is that most places don't care.
>>
>>2118282
>fucked up city
>proving you can own and provide for an animal is fucked up

What are you even arguing against right now? You go from saying "yeah well the shelters and big chains have paperwork" to now saying you don't have to provide shit for anything everywhere anyone has ever lived.

Go to a shelter and try to adopt an animal without having to provide papers. Go to a petstore and try it.

Dogs, cats, large birds all have paperwork involved almost everywhere. You have to legally have your animal vaccinated/rabies and if you don't you get a fine.

This isn't the case EVERYWHERE but if you live in an area with a large population the chances are pretty good there are laws for such things.

But whatever. You're an idiot and literally nothing will change that.
>>
>>2118267

This is fucking ridiculous. Animals are great, pets are awesome, but youre a fucking joke
>>
>>2118292
>proving you can own and provide for an animal is fucked up
it actually is pretty fucked up when you realize it just takes pets away from poor people, and you and most of /an/ will be poor people if you ever move out of your parent's house.

I mean, let's take pets from the young, the elderly, the handicapped and the terminally alone.

you might be peta.
>>
>>2118296
You don't have a right to own a pet, pleb.

I think that if you don't make 6 figures you shouldn't be allowed to own an animal.
>>
>>2118298
>You don't have a right to own a pet, pleb
of course I do.

I live in the US, we take property rights very seriously here. You need a court order to take them away from someone.

>I think that if you don't make 6 figures you shouldn't be allowed to own an animal
it's good to think things.
>>
>>2118299
>Implying you should be allowed to get one in the first place.
We'll just create required liability insurance to make owning animals out of your financial rich, peasant.

It'll be great, because then you'll be required to pay ME dividends to own your silly little bird as I'll be a shareholder in these insurance companies.

I can just imagine it now...
>>
>>2118302
funny, but of the two of us I'm the only wealthy one.

I get what you're saying though. And I agree, laws requiring you to prove you can provide for a pet are no different than saying only aristocrats can own hounds.

this is essentially why the US revolted against Britain in the first place.
>>
>>2118305
I doubt you make more money than me.
>>
>>2118292
What part of it isn't like that where I live do you not understand?
We have rabies vaccination laws and shit, but they aren't ever enforced out here. That's how in is in a lot of places, and I've never said ALL places.

You have been the one saying all these regulations and rules are in place and enforced everywhere, while all I have been saying the whole time, is that it's not like that everywhere and you seem to be assuming so.
>>
>>2118307
doesn't matter what you think.
>>
>>2118171

>Lol

yeah
>>
>>2118267
It's illegal to turn someone away from an apartment/home because they have a child, so your entire argument falls apart right there.
>>
>>2118256
It's also fine if you can line them up a decent home.

It's not shitty to get rid of a pet, it's shitty to release it or dump it at a shelter.
>>
Fuck you OP. I hope the bird is ok
>>
>>2118179

even with clipped wings birds can fly, my green cheek once got mad at me for asking her to step up while we were outside... and she jumped off me and flew into a tree top, she wouldn't come down, flew from tree top to tree top for about an hour flock calling to me every time i lost sight of her 'til i'd find her again and then finally jumped on something low enough for me to reach her (she had gotten across the road and well past someone's house, she does know how to fly i let her wings grow out in the winter)

after all that she jumped right onto my my shoulder and cuddled into my neck and stayed there while i crawled through bushes and walked home... so i was lucky, and so was she cuz there's hawks around here...

but if a bird is outside clipped wings or not it should have a harness... she's been outside with me hundreds of times without one (which is why i clipped them for spring), and just was in a mood that one time... so you just never know, and trusting something unreliable is pointless

clipped wings only (somewhat) limit what they can do indoors, they can still fly around and even make turns and get a fair bit of distance they just can't get the same height... mine still does loops and goes across rooms and such... she just doesn't also hang onto doorframes and ignore me when i ask her to get down
>>
>>2118267

Reptiles/Bugs/To some extent some birds if they're not tamed/Turtles do not give a single fuck about you.

It's only dumping cats/dogs that it's an issue because they form intense emotional pacts with people.
>>
>>2118353

>cats
>emotional bonds
pick one
>>
>>2118353
The vast majority of cats/dogs do just fine.
The only animals that regularly get serious problems from that are parrots and primates.
>>
>>2118338

no, it is shitty to rehome an animal.
>>
Contact all the local shelters, put up posters, etc.

The usual stuff.
>>
>>2118361
Congratulations, you obsess over "muh feels" you made up without any actual knowledge of animal psychology or husbandry!
>>
>>2118294
I'm not agreeing with that anon, I do believe that it's absolutely ridiculous to anthropomorphize animals into retarded human children in fur suits.

However, in the case of parrots, and other intelligent birds, there is SOME (not a whole lot, but still some) validity in comparing them to human children.

Isn't there an african grey parrot that was hand raised in a lab/scientific study somewhere that was taught how to speak human words and is regularly given IQ tests and thus proved itself to be the intellectual equal of a human five year old?

If certain bird species have been proven to literally be as smart as our own human children then treating them like a piece of furniture or a status symbol is pretty fucked up.
>>
>>2118377
Birds need a lot of social activity and I like to use the child comparison just to emphasize how much of a commitment it is. The average person can't be arsed to walk their dog twice a day, let alone spend hours a day bonding with a bird. In the case of cockatoos, you literally need to spend most of the day, every day with it or it's going to get stressed and develop behaviors like feather plucking and screaming. That what happens when you take flock animals and neglect their social needs.
>>
>>2118370
try to dump a bird onto someone new and see how it acts.
hint: It won't be pretty
>>2118330
christ you're a fucking idiot. Laws =/= morals. learn to separate the two.
>>2118294
you're a fucking idiot that's all there is to it. If you're the type of person that would get rid of a pet because it inconveniences you a little bit then you can go fuck yourself with a cactus.
>>
>>2118171
>Any tips on getting it back
other than going around the neighborhood calling for it, you can go on lost bird websites and post your info there and hope someone finds your bird and posts it up there too.
>>
>>2118370

i don't think they're 100% right, but with a bird you should know exactly what you're getting into cuz rehoming can be damaging for them particularly if they're bonded to you...

even with a green cheek which needs less than a cockatoo my s/o and i have talked about how things like travel ideas would need to be altered to include her since she doesn't even like him going to work no way could she handle something like a vacation she couldn't go on (luckily she's loves car rides and going new places and is used to a harness) we also do things like only go out for a couple hours and then check back for a bit before going back out unless we've put them to bed... so there is validity to that

as for the child comparison, i really don't agree with it for most pets, but if you've ever spent time simultaneously with a child and a parrot you can actually see the ways it's valid... my green cheek and my one year old niece actually have a lot in common with their responses to things and the things they like... of course she's a bird so she's not exactly the same, but comparisons can just mean "similar to" not "exactly the same as"

and they're right in the sense that if you choose to bring an animal home as a pet, then you ideally should look at it like you're investing in its entire lifespan and alter your life accordingly cuz of that choice... that is the ideal just like research beforehand is ideal as well... expecting other people to always do what's ideal and thinking they're a piece of shit for mistakes is unreasonable though... especially cuz unforeseen shit can happen, and it's not responsible to keep an animal that you're incapable of taking care of just for the sake of keeping it... the possible damage is shit, but the chance of having a better home and bonding to someone else is still there

it's not a black and white thing, but i agree with them in a "that'd be ideal" sense
>>
>>2118256
Just a touch idealistic. Best thing you can do is know what animal you want, what you can realistically care for, and wait untill you're financially capable and stable. Unfortunately though, sometimes life just shits on you. You could lose your job, your home, end up in crippling debt, the animal could become aggressive... Just to name a few scenarios.

>op's dad is still an impulsive alcoholic manturd
>>
>>2118234

this is a little bit untrue... i had a pair of budgies that were only semi tame and fully flighted, they got out into my garden once (their cage was already outside the door slipped), one never left the garden and let me pick her up and put her back... the other flew past my neighbor's house and was back less than 5 minutes later (i kept calling and whistling to him) behind the garden fence where he let me pick him up and bring him back inside

a bird getting out and being fully flighted is unlikely to come home, but it does happen... and i imagine at least some of the time people don't find their birds cuz they see them fly off and don't bother going to look for them or calling to them...

the necessity of clipping wings really varies based on the individual bird, and living situation... it isn't inhumane as long as it's done properly, but it isn't the only choice either

my conure has clipped wings, my current 2 budgies don't
>>
>>2118267
>>2118256
>>2118252

People like you also piss me off.

Your insane, unrealistic expectations of people and even more extreme words are not only out of touch with reality, but also indicate a willingness to murder people.

Have you considered joining an ecoterrorist group?
>>
>>2118194
>domesticated
>>
>>2118457
>Laws =/= morals. learn to separate the two.
>incapable of understanding anything actually being said
>>
File: 1462673070385.gif (102 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1462673070385.gif
102 KB, 450x450
UPDATE

After hours of waiting, the bird is back in our sight. She's chilling up in a tree far back in the woods of our back yard. We've left the cage out in the woods with food and other treats that might lure her in.
Hopefully it works, but all we can do is wait and hope she doesn't fly away again.

I'll keep you updated.
>>
>>2118714
good luck
>>
>>2118757
Thanks. She's still up there. We still have hope, I mean she has to get hungry and fly down eventually right?
>>
>>2118759

I don't want to say anything because I don't want to jinx it.
>>
>>2118171
>>2118171
>Any tips on getting it back?

Put the cage outside and leave it with the door open

He'll get homesick for his little prison and come back

Trust me
>>
>>2118591
>even more extreme words are not only out of touch with reality
>indicate a willingness to murder people.
huehuehuehue

you're retarded.
>>
>>2118370
you're fucking hilarious

I see it all the time. dogs being put through rehoming roulette on Craigslist is really shitty for them. the number of times we scan a dog for a chip, only to find out the info from it is years old and it turns into a chain of "hurr we gave the dog away years ago, the people seemed nice" to that person giving the dog away again, then it happen again, and again, the cycle continues. are you actually implying that it's not harmful for animals to go through multiple homes/families?
>>
>>2119101
>are you actually implying that it's not harmful for animals to go through multiple homes/families?
Depends entirely on the species/individual.
>>
File: 1431989083116.jpg (29 KB, 249x265) Image search: [Google]
1431989083116.jpg
29 KB, 249x265
>>2118252
>play with your anime

this got me more than it should
>>
File: 1462477171303.jpg (100 KB, 855x720) Image search: [Google]
1462477171303.jpg
100 KB, 855x720
>>2118759
UPDATE

She's gone again. She's probably still in the same general area but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Her "little prison" is still sitting out there full of her favorite food but she hasn't seem to have been tempted by it yet.
>>
>>2118591
>unrealistic
Nigga, that's like giving your kid up for adoption because you don't want to go through moving him from one school to another
>>
>>2120308
Animals are not people, bruh. Stop pretending that you owe the same obligation to one as your offspring.
>>
>>2118265
>You know EXACTLY what you're getting into when you buy or adopt an animal

The problem is that situations change, often times unexpectedly. The dog I currently have came from a home where the owner lost his job and had to move to a new area that didn't allow dogs. He wasn't just pawning this pup off on some one else when it became a hassle: he started crying when he gave it to us.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (87 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
87 KB, 740x740
FINAL UPDATE

The bird is back with us and in it's cage. She got back totally safe after almost 4 days of being gone.
She flew outside my little sisters window and my mom crawled out of it with her hand reached out. The bird walked right onto her arm and the rest is history.

Fuck y'all who said she wasn't coming back.
>>
Great! Now clip her wing feathers before she flies away again!
>>
>>2120788
We're getting them clipped very soon! :)
>>
How to clip wings video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjHkce5ImCk
>>
>>2120792
My parents are taking her to the vet to get it done.
>>
File: 1460419481863.jpg (182 KB, 636x477) Image search: [Google]
1460419481863.jpg
182 KB, 636x477
>>2120778
congrats anon
>>
>>2118256
>Anything else makes you a terrible person

So I'm horrible because I lost my job and had to give my cat away to a family that could afford his flea meds and wet food and attention he craved?

Fuck you dude. Seriously, FUCK

YOU
>>
>>2120798
it's weird how you can still afford internets and a phone.
>>
>>2120488
We almost had to do this with our dog because we had used up all the favors we had, were getting kicked out, and NO apartments near us accepted any mixed breed that fell under the pitbull category, even labs are considered pits because of their head shape unless you have papers.

We got real fucking lucky when our buddy got his house, but all three of us were crying at one point when we were making phone calls to family and friends to try and find her a home.

People definitely do not always give up pets willynilly like.
>>
>>2119121
then I'll clue you in. for most animals from a social species: YES IT IS. same reason kids that get put through multiple foster homes are so messed up
>>
>>2120800
I can NOW you judgemental prick.

I'm not going to contact that family and be like 'hey, I'm in a better spot now, can I have my cat back even though you and your kids are really attached?'

I'm not going to do that to them or the cat. I'm not getting any other pets, and even if I could get the cat back, there's a chance this job could possibly not work out and I would have to do it all over again and risk the cat getting put down.
>>
>>2118457
I'm not the type of person to get rid off my pet because of minor inconveniences but I am the type who would save a human life over my own pet. I'm not some fucking out of touch psycho who clearly is devoid of regular social interaction like yourself; you're a waste
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.