[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people have cats and dogs when most people can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: e6cf2e_5691894.jpg (495 KB, 1944x1944) Image search: [Google]
e6cf2e_5691894.jpg
495 KB, 1944x1944
Why do so many people have cats and dogs when most people can't even take care of a fish or hamster? They can't bother to buy a 5 gallon tank and filtration system for a fish, and if they do have these things they have a bunch of fish crowded in it instead of the one or two fish that should be kept in a 5 gallon tank, and putting hamsters in hamster tubes and not providing the 10" or so of burrowing space hamsters need, and these are just basic necessities for these pets that the vast majority of owners fail to provide

People don't regularly empty their cats litter boxes, and instead of playing with them or walking them they just let them outside to be a pest to everyone in their neighborhood and probably get hit by a car

People don't properly train their dogs, causing them behavioral problems and also fail to play with and walk them as often as they need. Most people free feed them cheap and shitty kibble too instead of food that's actually good for them

Why are most pet owners so shit?
>>
>>2116195
>Why do so many people have cats and dogs when most people can't even take care of a fish or hamster?
I own cats, dogs, a hamster and fish.

the fish are by far the most difficult of those four to care for.

just sayin.

also, if you think a 5g tank is good for any fish you're somewhat misinformed.
>>
>>2116198
theres nothing wrong with a 5g for a betta
>>
>>2116202
there's also nothing particularly right about it.
>>
>>2116204
My friend won an inch long molly at a fair (I didn't even know they still did that) and she didn't want it so I offered to take it. I have it in a 5 gallon tank currently since I don't have any place to put a bigger tank, and I feel bad about it but I doubt I could find anyone to take actual care of it
>>
File: 1625.prd.s.alt.002.jpg (26 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1625.prd.s.alt.002.jpg
26 KB, 480x480
>>2116225
I have a really nice 1.5 gallon tank he could stay in for a bit.
>>
>>2116198
Agreed. My 20gal tank is far more high maintanence than my dog.
>>
Cats and dogs are easier than fish, and hamsters are generally assholes
>>
>>2116260
>dogs are easier than fish
What the fuck?
>>
Cats and dogs are companion animals that are easier for humans to read and interact with.
But agree that most pet owners are fucking stupid and unwilling to do research on anything.
>>
I dont think you realize how low maintenece most cats are
>>
Cats, cheap fed and or unneutered especially, are unhealthy. Their kidneys, respiratory system, uterus and teeth is a time bomb. The best part you will never even know they were sick if you don't care enough. Not long ago overheard some woman bragging how long her cats live. "10, even 12 years!". Yea... comparing to 3-5 years of strays, it's sure amazing.
Good thing about human overpopulation is that culling strays will again become a norm in the nearest future (I think).
>>
>>2116195

I swear you're trying to shitpost but I can't find anything regarding hamsters and 10" of burrowing space. Burrowing space in general I can understand but 10" of it? I'll need some very reliable sources for that.
>>
>>2116225
You could just...you know, at least buy a 10 gallon tank. They're not even expensive. It's like 30$ for one with everything except the heater but I highly doubt you have one in your shitty 5 gallon.

Don't blame others for your apathy.
>>
>>2116266
Dog:
Water and food in bowl. Walk whenever. Clean occasionally.
Fish:
Water levels, chemical levels, food levels, cleaning water, size of tank, other fish, water temperature, filtration systems, delicate, can't play with, short life span and may occassionally just feel like dying for no reason.
Fish are some picky mother fuckers.
>>
>>2116441
I live in a college dorm and have no where to put a 10 gallon tank. Money is not the problem. Of course I have a filter, heater, and I maintain the heat and pH of the tank

I didn't want the fish in the first place but if I didn't take it my friend would have probably just flushed it down the toilet. I would never go out of my way in my current situation to get a fish since I don't have enough space for an adequate tank
>>
>>2116409
My teacher had come over to my house once and she was amazed at how healthy and active my cat was. She could barely believe it when I told her he was 12 years old. Her sister keeps cats and always lets them outside, even though they've been hit by cars and mauled by animals before. She told me the oldest cat her sister had was 6 years old
>>
>>2116483
Why not a healthy dose of indoor and outdoors for cats?
>>
>>2116195
>he thinks that keeping fish is easier than keeping dogs and cats
You're not in the position to judge anyone.
>>
>>2116266
I don't have to check the levels of my dogs or cats water or grow plants in their bowls. Plus vets actually see them, so chances are if their is something wrong with them they won't die in a day.

One minor thing can ruin a whole tank.
>>
>>2116488
She did keep her cats inside and only let them out during the day. I have a three seasons room I let my cat into and I have a harness and leash I walk him on
>>
>tfw you probably don't play with your cats as much as you should.
My baby girl always likes to play (she is almost 7 but still has the energy of a kitten... she must have been a horror ad an actual kitten), but my old man is never really into play time. Sometimes he will I'd he seems my girl playing, but he would rather nap or just get pets.
>>
>>2116629
How old is your older cat?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.