[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get a dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Two-Cats-Tattoo.jpg (53 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
Two-Cats-Tattoo.jpg
53 KB, 500x337
Hi /an/
Lately, I've been seeing people with dogs, or hearing about people's dogs, and they sound like really amazing, loving pets. I never really considered a dog for myself, but now am wondering if I should adopt one some time in the future.
Here is my situation.
>have a pet bunny
>depressed and have eating disorder, I wonder if a dog would be able to help at all with this
>unsure about housing situation in the near future, I'd only get a dog once it was certain that I'd be able to keep it for its entire life

So, I know nothing at all about dogs and want to see if I'd be fit for one someday. What are good ways to figure out what sort of dog would be good for me, without just getting one? None of my friends have dogs. :(
>>
>>2114741
A dog will help you with depression definitely
>>
>>2114843
Or the responsibility makes OP hate and neglect it. It seems to be a sort of trend with people who have never owned dogs. Add mental illness into the picture and it shakes up their 'routine' and irritates them.

OP you can try fostering a dog. It's temporary and you'll learn as you go without the commitment of having it during it's entire life unless you adopt it.
>>
>>2114741
Op could stop being a little bitch and toke a fat blunt
>>2114741
>>
>>2114843
>>2114864
Yes, I definitely would want a breed that would not be miserable with a 20-minute walk daily, and not too high energy, so it won't be sad during hard days for me. A local shelter has doggy visiting hours that I can go to, I think this will be my first step, so I can just play with them. I like the idea of fostering!
Are dogs like cats, in that they change in personality from puppy to adult? Should I only be looking at mature dogs?

>>2114868
>implying I know how to get weed
I am a good girl you see.
>>
>>2114896
I would definitely recommend an older dog as a first dog. Dogs do tend to change as they get older. Plus, older dogs don't get adopted as easily so you probably be saving it's life
>>
>>2114906
Ok, so I know that a lot of those "what breed is right for you" type quizzes match me with a whippet, greyhound, or an airedale terrier. But what if I want a mutt? Do they still have the personalities of the dogs they're mixed with?
>>
>>2115247
Just get a dog from the shelter. Getting a greyhound/whippet as your first dog is kinda retarded. And yes mutts do inherit some of the temperament from their parents but it is a gamble.

OP for the love of god run with your dog. It'll do wonders for you (I used to do judo and lift with depression, then started running, running euphoria lasts longer. helps but doesn't cure, but being undepressed after running gradually becomes a habit and extends into other areas). It's also needed for your dog because they want (and need) to fucking roam to stay sane and healthy. Ideally let it run without a leash because it will want to fuck around and sniff crap until it sees you keep running and follows.

20 min run at a good tempo can be enough to make your dog tired desu, especially if it's a shelter dog that didn't exercise much.

Also get a fucking budgie so it can keep company for your dog when you're away. Budgie + dog combo is an experience.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.