[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spider Identification
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9
File: Image 046.png (94 KB, 298x292) Image search: [Google]
Image 046.png
94 KB, 298x292
What type of spider is this? Sorry these are the best photos I can get. I live in central Texas.

The legs are hairy and it has a big black mouth(?) that looks like boxing gloves. Seems smaller than a Hobo Spider though(?)
>>
File: Image 043.png (150 KB, 326x322) Image search: [Google]
Image 043.png
150 KB, 326x322
>>
File: Image 043 (2).png (238 KB, 500x442) Image search: [Google]
Image 043 (2).png
238 KB, 500x442
>>
File: Image 044.png (265 KB, 460x464) Image search: [Google]
Image 044.png
265 KB, 460x464
Also I've seen a bunch of these little things in my apartment, usually on the walls/ceilings.
>>
File: lynx spider.jpg (34 KB, 560x387) Image search: [Google]
lynx spider.jpg
34 KB, 560x387
>>2112376
Male lynx spider perhaps.
>>
File: Image 045.png (126 KB, 292x308) Image search: [Google]
Image 045.png
126 KB, 292x308
Any help IDing is appreciated, thanks.
>>
>>2112381

Hm yes it seems to fit pretty well. Especially the mouth/legs.

I have it captured in a tennis ball can. I guess I'll keep it as a pet, what should I put in there for habitat? How should I feed it?
>>
Just put some little beetles in there with him. He pounced on one pretty quickly! Looks like he's on top of it, holding it, and the little beetle is still alive, so idk if the venom just takes a while or what.
>>
>>2112376
Brown Recluse
>>
>>2112738

Don't think so. Way too small.

Of note, he finished his meal on the little beetle after a few hours and is now active again. There's a bigger beetle in there with him. continuing to monitor.
>>
to hijack your thread I just saw a little guy in my cabinet while getting some food.

He was about the size of a nickel or quarter(including his legs, so not terribly big), and was a brown-tan-kinda sorta on the reddish side. He had a oval butt.

>>2112738
I keep looking online to find what it is but literalyl the only thing that he resembles is a brown recluse. What are some spiders that look like a recluse? I live in indiana.
>>
File: brownrecluse4.jpg (32 KB, 500x528) Image search: [Google]
brownrecluse4.jpg
32 KB, 500x528
>>2112748
to add, he didn't have any markings I could see on elongated part. His color was a lot like pic related.

Yellow sac spider is the wrong color and shape. It's legs aren't quite right. The one I saw had.. the straight out pointed legs like a star or whatever.
>>
>>2112748
>>2112754

Smooth and no markings would indicate brown recluse. But, are you sure about that? Because many common, harmless house spiders look VERY similar.

I mean, obviously don't take chances either way, but just know that it's pretty hard to tell a recluse apart from harmless spiders.
>>
>>2112756
I am 100% he hand no markers on his long section. He was around for a bit, but I didn't exactly want to put my face close enough to see if he had the violin marking. The things I remember most are his long, light colored abdomen with no markings, his quarter size, his reddish brown-orange color, and his legs having those sharp angles with no markings on them either.

I'm not one to cry worlf or jump to conclusions. Spiders don't really bother me at all. I work in my garden all the time and have come across all kinds of spiders. In my shed in a dark corner was an adorable black widow I let live all year.

But this guy is living near my bread and cookies. He has to either be a recluse or yellow sac spider. They are the only ones that match but the color is definitely favoring the recluse.
>>
>>2112762

Well if that's the case, he is likely/plausibly a recluse. aka, be very cautious. Kill it if possible.

If you want to try to be humane, capture it and let it go far away from you. But don't mess around with it.

Shoes + socks + long pants + gloves + long sleeves will (I think?) give you protection from it. Don't take my word on that (inb4 you get bit through jeans and die and your family sues me)
>>
>>2112748
Kukulcania hibernalis males can look almost exactly like brown recluses with the only noticeable differences being the eye pattern (obviously) and the goofy long pedipalps. And they're way more common than recluses.
>>
>>2112918
>pedipalps
I don't remember this guy having those goofy ass things bu he might be.

I'm staying in my parent's house while they are away and I asked them if they ever encountered a recluse here before. Turns out, a few months ago my dad was bitten by something pretty bad.

He was bit by something in the house and it ate up a good portion of his lower leg and foot that's still noticeable a year later. He had a failed back surgery a long time ago that removed all the feeling in his legs. He can still walk, but his legs are completely numb. He's always breaking his toes on accident on furniture. He couldn't find what it was exactly that bit him because he couldn't feel it when it happened or the pain someone would normally get after. He only found out much later that night when he started to feel kinda sick and changed clothing and saw a nasty ass bite on his ankle. It ended up looking like those extreme cases picture you see online with black dead tissue and a big hole where he got bit.

Sooooo there's a good chance it's a recluse.
>>
>Live in Texas, have arachnophobia
>Over the 16 years I've lived in this house we've gotten 3 Brown Recluses among other really venomous spiders
>Last week see the the tell-tale signs of a nesting Brown Recluse laying random web strands
>Go into panic-mode, get the bug spray ready for tomorrow morning
>Storms keep happening, eventually forget about it
>Go to back of house this evening, see something in the corner of patios ceiling
>It's a fucking web with eggsacs
>spider drops down and goes under the wall
The worst part is that I can't even spray because it's going to rain again tomorrow.
>>
>>2113472
Also, the worst part is that there might be two of them.
>>
>>2113472

Tell me more about the random web strands...I'm in Texas and I also have web strands around my apt, like up on my light on the ceiling.
>>
>>2113477
The previous times they would always quarantine an entire area with web strands before laying eggs. Twice they've covered the entire patio with web strands, even the dog had enough sense to stay away from it.
>>
>>2113478

Ah, mine doesn't seem to be that then.

I've always wondered how common the "dangerous" spiders really are or aren't. Like, what % of houses/apts have them?

Also I'm OP and my little pet spider is doing okay. He ate a little beetle yesterday. Today I caught a grub/larvae and put it in there for him, but he doesn't seem interested in it. Maybe because he's not hungry yet, or b/c the larvae is bigger than him so he's scared.
>>
File: IMG_0672.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0672.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I would like to know if this specimen is a loxosceles laeta. Please tell me.
>>
>>2114711
it is.
>>
File: IMG_0679.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0679.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>2114712
thx for the info.
>>
>>2114716
np
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.