[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Doggy day care!! Does your dog go? Have you ever worked at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160412_111028405.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160412_111028405.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Doggy day care!!

Does your dog go? Have you ever worked at one? It's my dog's first day. I hope she's having fun.
>>
Well, like anything, it depends on where you go. Some people just board them all day and only let them out to pee. Some people claim otherwise, but don't follow through. Generally, major chains are trustworthy (as in, you can take them for their word). Smaller or private owner places, you'll have to use your instinct.

You would no better than us, really.
>>
I've never worked at one, but I hear that the dogs really like going. I'm sure she's having a good time
>>
>>2110679

Oh, right ... the best indication is if the dog wants to go back the next day. If it's digging in so it doesn't have to go in the door, well, then she didn't like it so much. How hard she tries to not go in will tell you if she just doesn't want to be away from you, or if she really hates that place. If you can't lure her in the door with sweet words and a treat, then it's probably pretty bad.
>>
>>2110678

After working at one of the top rated doggy day cares in the Bay Area i would never put my dogs in a doggy day care. I was only there for a month and saw:

>dog get loose and impale itself deeply on an unsafe peice of shelf (dog was okay after a surgery)
>dog who isn't ever supposed to be kenneled is kenneled during 4th of July fireworks and breaks 3 teeth trying to eat it's way out of the wires
>dogs super stressed out forces into cages where other dogs are coming up and harassing them
>>
My dog LOVES his daycare. They have a huge fenced area outdoors with kiddy pools in the summer. Indoors, they have 3 sections - energetic dogs in one,mellow in another, and the third is kind of like a nap section I believe. They also do minor grooming like ear and feet cleaning and trims. My dog freaks as soon as we get close, like he whines and paces in the back seat. As soon as we arrive he drags me to the door and the workers there love him. Then I pick him up and he's happy and exhausted :) he only goes once every few weeks when there's a lot of overlap within my family's schedule and no one will be home for a while
>>
>>2110771
sounds like the one I take my dog to. they're really great; they post pictures of the dogs all day on their facebook page and have webcams focused on the play areas. I work and go to night classes; I take my dog there on days when I'm doing both--usually just about once a week.

it's hella expensive though. I wouldn't do it if I had a house with a yard and a doggy door, but we live in a small apartment.
>>
I worked at one for a short time before I found a better paying job.
They advertised themselves as strictly kennel free, they only had a big yard and a big room inside where dogs would be. this caused a lot of problems for the workers as we always had to keep an eye on the dogs so they wouldn't fight. You'd have to keep moving across the yard while watching them because they would come up to you then fight each other for your attention. it wasn't the best idea to be honest.
keep in mind they do behavorial tests and more than half the dogs are rejected, but still in my first week a dog ripped through another dogs ear in a fight.
>>
>>2112458
Yeah, the one I take my dog too is $35 for a full day or 25 for half. I can't imagine paying that 5 days a week.
>>
I used to take my 2 spaz cadets to a doggy day care once a week. They got an over night and a herding training class. They freaking loved it. OMG. Best idea ever. They would lose their shit once they figured out where we were driving in the morning. I would get them back exhausted and happy. Sleepy tail wagging and nappy in the back seat. It's pretty much the only thing that got us through their puppy hood since they had such crazy amounts of energy. I couldn't leave them unsupervised at all and this was the answer. The only days that couldn't be with one of us was Tuesday and Wednesday and so doggy daycare slumber party.
>>
>>2112542
shit. mine is $27 for a full day; $21 a day if I buy a 20-day package--which I did. They have specials every once in a while where their rates are cheaper, and they do contests to win a couple of boarding nights or daycare days. I've looked in other places and they're at about your rate, though, which makes me nervous for when I eventually have to move. Hopefully I'll have a yard by then.
>>
>>2110771
>:)
>OMG. Best idea ever.

Hey /an/ why do animal lovers get a free pass to talk like morons?
They're no less unhappy or judgmental than the rest of humanity.
>>
>>2112589
Thx for keeping our 4chins safe from people who don't type the same way you do :^)
>>
>>2112589
>doesn't know /an/ is essentially an AOL chat room from 1997

@8^D
You must be new here. A/S/L?
>>
I currently work at a doggy daycare facility. I'm very overworked and underpaid, BUT ANYTHING FOR CUTE DOGGIES RIGHT? AHAHAHA. Ha.

For the most part, we all do the best we can to take care of people's dogs. However, half the staff is either 19 and it's their first job, or they're completely new, or they've been here a while and are exhausted picking up after new people. I'm the latter. It's hard to stay in a job where you're not allowed to be late even once and the place is falling apart and they won't replace anything. Meanwhile you're working for minimum wage and they keep getting stricter and stricter about the rules because fucking teenagers keep breaking them. Everybody gets tired of playing with the dogs after the first couple weeks, then they realize "I'm not here for fun. I'm here to work." And then they cut corners to make things easier. Like crating an annoying dog longer than they're supposed to. Or not taking out a dog known to be mean at all even though we're supposed to. Or scaring a dog to make it stop misbehaving. One of my co-workers has a reputation of making dogs scared of him so they don't fuck around in group. It's sad seeing them a little traumatized. He doesn't physically hurt them, he just makes weird loud noises. None of us would ever hurt a dog, but that love and passion we had in the beginning is gone and we can't care about the dogs the same way we used to.

Honestly though, it depends on the dog and you. How well have you trained your dog? Is it ready for this sort of experience? I will say that it does seem like a good deal of them enjoy coming to my job. And if your dog is chill and well-behaved, there won't be a problem. But if it's not, expect those corners to be cut like I mentioned earlier. But that's just my experience.
>>
>>2110678
is she part kelpie? Looks exactly the same as my doggo right down to the markings.

I have also considered day care due to her energy but she's only six months and has already been mauled by two staffys at the park, bitten on the face by a terrier and chased down the street and bitten by a German Shepard that got out of it's yard so I'm done with accidents with "friendly" dogs.
>>
>>2110678
Your dog's probably being abused, op.
>>
Update from OP

The daycare was great. They have a webcam so I can watch the dogs playing from my PC. They gave me a report card when I picked her up. The staff are all super nice. I'm pretty satisfied.

>>2112915
I'm not sure. Shelter said she's a border collie mix. Kelpie could be possible too.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-01-10-06-48.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-01-10-06-48.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>2110678
>doggy day care
No thanks. I would rather leave my dog with someone my dog and myself knows and trusts.
>currently puppy sitting this little guy
>>
>>2110678
My m8 left his dog in an expensive daycare facility for a few days and now his dog is vicious as fuck to everyone but him.
Good luck, op.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.