[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anybody got issues with introducing puppy to an old dog ? here's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 20160118_150040.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160118_150040.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
anybody got issues with introducing puppy to an old dog ?

here's my situation:
currently living in new flat and bought a lab retriever (female)
i have a 9year old female (sterilized, never had puppies) german shepherd in my family house (with huge yard)

im visiting family about twice a months for the weekends, and the german shepherd is very agressive towards the lab. as in she tried to bite her twice, not playful or "dominance bite" but literally tried to murder her (managed to pull the pup away). i havent let them loose around each other ever since. the shepherd is always barking, growling and sometimes squeling when she sees her.

i have no idea what to do.

things i tried:
first meeting was at neutral ground
both dogs are getting same amount of affection
several walks with both dogs at the same time (a bit better than at the house)
they've spend the night at house together but in different rooms
currently im swaping them, as in one is outside one inside.

also what might be important the german shephard never had much interaction with other dogs, she spent first 3 years with another female german shepherd, which was a bit hard on her, so maybe that influenced her ?

>pic related, its the puppy
>>
>>2109515
and here's the shepherd
>>
>>2109515
You're going to have to get rid of either the dog or the puppy.
>>
>>2109522
thats not really an issue, i can just NOT bring the puppy to the old house, she can stay at my inlaws, or at home with wife's sister.

or i can just keep swapping them inside/outside
>>
>>2109541
Do you really want to go through all that trouble, though?
>>
>>2109541
Don't swap. Because that will lead to an accident. Accidents will happen, and every time I hear people doing this, where they set up a routine so the dogs never interact with each other, it has always ended in a serious fight. As your dog gets older, it will be harder to keep them seperated. Your life will be a routine on who has to come through which door at what time. It's also a bad idea to be socializing a puppy around a dog that, by the sounds of it, wants to completely destroy it. Puppies go through many 'fear' stages, so it's very important that they don't become fearful of dogs in those periods. You already have one very dog aggressive dog, let's try not to make it two.

And fuck the people that say you can't do dick about dog aggression, that it's genetic etc. It may be harder to socialize a genetically dog aggressive dog, but it's not impossible. It just means you have to work a lot harder and more frequently with socialization. And sometimes, people simply don't have the time to do that, and that is fine. But don't chalk it up to a failure on the dog's part
>>
>>2109515

>dog aggressive German Shepard

I'm shocked...

There is no way to introduce them. You have to fix the GSD.
>>
>>2109547
im obviously not going to get rid of any of the dogs.
>>
>>2109553
strange thing is, the shepherd is otherwise the calmest dog ever. at least when it comes to people. as i said, she had barely any contact with other dogs. And she's completely obedient to me, my father or my wife even.

im thinking of trying to get them together once the lab is older, and shepherd cant fucking eat it in one bite.
>>
>>2109580
Dog-aggressive dogs don't mean they will be bad towards people, just dogs. Dogs see people differently than other dogs. If you are just going to wait, you should start training your dog aggressive dog to get used to at least being near other dogs, and socialize your puppy with dogs that are good with dogs while he's still young. Just dropping one dog aggressive dog on top of a dog that's never interacted with dogs is going to result in two very high vet bills.
>>
>>2109629
yeah, the puppy is getting plenty dog-dog interaction. im living in a flat , and taking three walks a day, one of them at least hour long. there are always some dogs to meet there.

and she never acted in a weird way, so thats fine.

i guess im going on some walks with the shepherd too (which wont be fun, as she never even been on a serious walk before)
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.