[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ferret General >How many ferrets do you have? >How old
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 18
File: IMG_20150612_151859342.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150612_151859342.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Ferret General

>How many ferrets do you have?
>How old are they?
>What is your favorite thing about them?
>How did you get your ferret?
>>
File: raoul anniv.jpg (276 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
raoul anniv.jpg
276 KB, 2048x1152
>>2103821

Thank you kind Anon, I find it sad that the Mustelid/Long mammal/ferret general keep on dying. :/

>How many ferrets do you have?

2 big bad boys named Isisdore and Raoul.

>How old are they?

Isidore is nearly 3, and it was Raoul birthday yesterday, he turned 2. Happy birthday to him!

>What is your favorite thing about them?

For Isidore it is that he's always so playful, full of energy. He's very muscular and always seems to be doing some kind of mischief. He's also the best at ferret war dance.

For Raoul it's that he's so affectionate and cute. He's always giving kisses, climbing me for hug, he loves to be with us humans.

>How did you get your ferret?

From a ferret' shelter. I first chose Isidore back in april 2015, he was beautiful and playful, but was also bitting a lot. Nobody was interested in him for that, and I think nobody beside me would have picked him. That's not the reason I got him, I really loved him, bitting or not. But I'm just happy to know that I offered a chance to a ferret that had 0% chance to be adopted.

Following that, in july/august, Raoul arrived at the shelter and was incredibily popular. I was planning on getting only one ferret, but you know how it is... I just couldn't resist.

They're getting along very well and are living with us since september. Here is a picture of Raoul since it's his birthday.
>>
>>2104228
He's so cute!! I don't have any ferrets but I'd like to have one someday.
>>
>>2103821
>>2104228
Man they're so adorable but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to take good enough care of them, such is life I guess.
>>
Any vidya?
>>
File: 20160329_212423.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160329_212423.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>2105160
Thank you! You'll see, they are truly great.

>>2105184

What are you afraid of exactly? Financial problem or just life with them in general? I don't think you could go wrong on the life aspect given you read enough material and ask about (like here) before. They need to be at least 3 hours out of their cage per day, they need some toys (nothing fancy, they will go crazy over anything) they need meat based kibble or prey/raw. That's pretty much it, in the big lines. I admit it's not as easy as a cat at first because you have to ferretproof everything and be vigilent, but they're not the hardest pet ever.

Pic: Isidore.
>>
>>2105214
How much do your ferrets weigh? Weird question but I'm curious.

That tongue! So cute.
>>
>>2105214
Mostly money, and that I already have four cats in the house. They look so adorable though.
>>
>>2105224
They're both approximately the same weigh, so 1,2kg (2,6 pounds) in summer and 1,5 (3,3 pounds) in winter. But Isidore is longuer than Raoul, and where Isidore has muscle, Raoul has fat. So their morphology is not the same.

And thank you! It's sticking out all the time. That makes him adorable (wich is rare for this biting, vicious creature)

>>2105226

For the cats, it would be possible for the ferret to be accepted if he's young, but yeah I can understand your fear. Most of the time the ferret annoys the cat so he's always where the ferret can't get him, but there were case of fight between cat and ferret, so you never know.

For the money yeah you must be cautious. Starting 4-5 years old the problems can appear and escalate quickly. You could always put a little money for them each month, in case a big vet bill pop unexpectly.
>>
>>2105235
My cats tend to be pretty docile as well, and I have three floors to work with so I'm sure I can allocate a room or two just for ferrets. Though I was under the impression that ferrets were generally quite healthy so that's a surprise.
>>
>>2105249
Then you have a solution if it doesn't work with your cats, that's good!

Well... Sure you'll find ferrets that will live a peaceful life without problem, and that's all I hope for mine. But I just want people to realize that they can get sick, like seriously sick, and that they must think about it before taking one.

Especially in America with their Marshall ferrets, Bob Church has a theory partly based on their genetics saying that there is more chance for them to develop adrenal disease. But there is also insulinoma (big chance that it's caused by (bad) kibble), adrenal glands cancer (if your ferret is neutered too soon, or maybe neutered at all. We think more and more that the implant is the way to follow) and that's it for the principal diseases.

Now I don't have exact informations, I can't say to you "there is 50% chance that your ferret will get a cancer", because ferret documentation is still a big work in progress, a lot of people, and even a lot of VETS don't know exactly what is caused by what. But like I said earlier, I can't tell you "Oh yeah ferrets are healthy as fuck, go for it!" because there will be people that will get them thinking they will do fine all their life, and then ditch them somewhere or just let them die when the disease will be there. There are already too much ferrets being abandonned.

Genetics are surely very important in this matter. Avoid Marshall ferrets if you're American. Go for a very good breeder. I would love to say to you "go to a shelter", but it's really a bet. I prefered getting mine there for various reason, but I don't know anything about their lineage. That is scary sometimes.
>>
>>2105732
That's great to hear, I did find one guy just outside of town who breeds them for their fur who would at least let me buy two or three of them, and reportedly he hasn't had any health issues but I doubt they live long enough for that anyhow.
Though it turns out here in Denmark you apparently need a permission to house them, and then they need access to the outdoors on a daily basis. Making sure my garden was fenced properly enough to make sure the cats don't escape constantly took years and was a huge chore, I can't imagine how it would be with ferrets which sucks because you know, if I could save two or three from getting killed like that I'd love to.
Maybe some day soon though, but I appreciate the information.
>>
>>2105771
Breed for the fur... That is so sad, I had no idea ferrets were victims of this atrocity too.

Oh I heard that there are great breeders in Denmark, you have big ferrets of 2 or 2,5kg, very vigorous. I had no idea you had that kind of legislation for the outdoor, huh. I mean for example, my Isidore is litteraly terrorized by the outdoors. I don't find it a life necessity, but oh well.
If your fence is good enough (and go underground, you know they dig), then I see no problem. But think twice before taking them from the "fur breeder". If he get them for the fur, I don't see why he wouldn't go for consanguinity (I mean, they will be killed in 6 months or so anyway, so it doesn't matter to him probably) and surely he doesn't educate them at all. 3 ferrets is also a bit too much, I would suggest taking one at first, maybe two tops. Especially if you take them young, getting them litter trained, educated etc is hard enough with one.

If you take them in a shelter when they're already educated, then two is fine.

And no worries, I love talking about them!
>>
>>2105793
I do apologise but I genuinely made a mistake and thought ferrets were called mink in Danish, and not ilder. But yeah I do feel bad for the mink, I had a look at the place and it doesn't look very humane. Although I did find a breeder like three hours away with ferret pups that have barely just gotten eyes, although I don't have a car so that might be a problem. The law for those isn't that they need to be outside as well, and thankfully I do have plenty of space inside. Not that the fence doesn't go underground, but my cats haven't been very dig happy so I figure for ferrets it's not deep enough.

I'm very delighted though, I've always wanted ferrets since I was little. I guess I just gotta save up and plan for the future now, I wouldn't want them end up in a shelter because I suddenly have to leave or anything.
>>
I fucking love ferrets!
>>
>>2105814
I haven't seen your posts in a while. Glad you're back.

If anyone has info on breeders from the EU that will ship kits to the USA please post. I'm interested. :0
>>
File: DocnRecks.png (208 KB, 493x232) Image search: [Google]
DocnRecks.png
208 KB, 493x232
>>2103821
>2
>Under a year
>Their facial expressions and personalities
>Went to Petco, bought on whim, got responsibilities'd hard and don't regret it, hardest I've worked for anything in a while
Right guy's a bit fat, hard to get him to lose weight.
>>
>>2103821
>>How many ferrets do you have?
two neutered females
>>How old are they?
They are both about 7 years old
>>What is your favorite thing about them?
They are amazingly fun and loving creatures and they use the litter box!
>>How did you get your ferret?
my first Milkshake i got from a shitty cheap breeder when i got her she could barely walk

the other one Rosie i used about 540 dollars on to make sure she came from the right place, her mother is the most beautiful ferret in the country for about the last forever, but Rose doesn't really like others than me so i can't have her at competitions because she most likely would bite the judges
>>
>>2106308
Mine pee and poop next to the litterbox outside their cage, and upturn and throw around any litterbox I try to put in their cage (I just clean the spots off the bedding)
how do you litterbox train them?
>>
Don't they smell? I live in a townhouse and I'm afraid the whole place will smell.
>>
>>2106341
They do have a musky smell but if they're taken care of properly, it shouldn't be overbearing or cause any problems like that.

Basically, feed them good food, scoop their litter boxes at least once a day (more depending on how many litter boxes/ferrets you have,) and wash their bedding (any blankets, beds, hammocks, etc.) once a week and you're good to go. This all keeps the smell to a minimum. Oh, and the MAXIMUM you should bathe them is once a month, otherwise you end up with their skin overcompensating for the oils being stripped from their coat, and they will start to smell more, not less.

The animals themselves and their cage will still have a ferret smell (and again, it shouldn't be overbearing,) but the rest of your place should be fine.
>>
>>2106317
mine doesn't live in a cage and honestly i don't know how i litter trained them, i just bought some boxes and some cheap litter box stuff that doesn't dust and they just did it automatically, when they poop next to i also put it in the box and clean the area with Rodalon, i have no idea what it's called in english, sorry, but that removes the smell so they don't think they should do it there again.
now they just don't do it :)
>>
>>2106317
Use square litter boxes if you're not already. None of mine were good with corner litter pans
>>
Anybody have experience in freeroaming ferrets? How much did you have to modify your home? I don't have a ferret, but it's a future possibility, and I already own a critter nation two level, but I'm curious on how destructive they really are. I've heard some crazy things.
>>
File: CAM00424.jpg (3 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
CAM00424.jpg
3 MB, 4208x3120
>>2103821
>>How many ferrets do you have?
Two males.
>>How old are they?
One is about 3, the other is about 5-6.
>>What is your favorite thing about them?
They're really fun to play with, even if they are shits.
>>How did you get your ferret?
Shelter. I can tell they're Marshall because of the tattoos.
>>
File: 32.jpg (466 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
466 KB, 800x600
>you'll never own an angora ferret
>>
>>2106439
Mine mostly freeroam in the basement/my room. Worst problem I ever had is some dig the carpet a lot. They have a thing for scratching outlets too so put protectors in. They are not chewers like rodents

Continuing with my sadness

>you will never be a big-time ferret breeder who can compete with Marshalls
>>
>>2106656
So pretty. I would love to pet that fur.
>>
>tfw can't own a ferret because my dog is a bloodthirsty fuck
>>
>>2108474
If you have a bigger house it's not an issue. My dog stays downstairs and my ferrets stay upstairs.
>>
>>2106317
What Russian Ferret Guy said, and put some clothes/toys where you don't want them to poop. Normaly they will not do it on the clothes (most of them are "naturally" clean, so they won't poop where they could sleep), so they will search for another place to poop, hopefully in the litter this time.

When you see them pooping at the wrong place, you can grab them quickly and put them in the litter. And if they go to the litter by themsleves, give them a little treat.

>>2106439

Mine are almost always out when I get up, and I put them back in their cage for the night. I had to put my plants elsewhere (some plants are dangerous for them if they chew on them, and they LOVE digging, so they'll always make a mess with it), I put a barrier between my living room and the kitchen (they loved scratching my sofa...), and that's basically it. Close the door to the toilet (ferrets will sometimes dig in the toilet and drown), pay attention to windows if they can get access to it (they're very creative), be cautious with the bleach, cleaner products etc. (like for a small child, put them somewhere they couldn't get to), and I think it's good. Well basically, arrange your house like you would arrange it for a small child.

I wouldn't say they're very destructive (ok, mostly with the plants, like I said put them elsewhere), it's more of a security thing, for their good. When you'll have one you'll quickly see what he's interested in, and if you forgot this or that.
>>
File: 2015-10-30 13.34.19.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-30 13.34.19.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>2105800
No problem, it happens, english is not my native language either. Mink are so beautiful, but I heard they're still very "wild". They couldn't be as affectionate as a ferret.

Maybe you'll find a friend or a family member to take you to the breeder? Three hours is a long way, but still do-able if you're really committed!

Well I'm very happy that I could help you, even a little. I really hope this works out for you. Good luck with saving up!

Here is Isidore using Raoul as a blanket to motivate you!
>>
File: 3 (2).jpg (8 KB, 213x160) Image search: [Google]
3 (2).jpg
8 KB, 213x160
>>2109251
Let me correct you good sir/ma'am. Mink can be very affectionate. Watch Joseph Carter's mink videos on YouTube. He's had very sweet mink. But he warns that most mink will bond so strong to him that they may be mean to others people. I had plans to adopt a baby mink this year but I got shit to sort out.

Thanks forr remembering my litter training advice

This is Cookie, his owner sadly passed away and so I adopt him from very nice couple who knew the owner. He is a dork. He deepthroats the spout on the water bottle. Pip doesn't like him
>>
Are ferrets as affectionate as rats?
>>
>>2111418
No. They will give licks and sometimes sleep with you for warmth, but ferrets mostly are about play play play, eat, sleep. I admire how simple they are that way, yet really clever
>>
File: IMGP8168.jpg (904 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8168.jpg
904 KB, 2048x1536
>>2109393
Oops, I just met a owner one time, and read some things on the net. I suppose you can't really know unless you have one for yourself! So could a mink possibily be mean and jealous of other animals too? A mink is way bigger than an average ferret (well, mine at least) so I think they could do some real damages if they want to...

And no probl! Cookie is so beautiful, my god. When you say Pip doesn't like him, is it very bad or does she tolerates him at least?

>>2111418

Well I didn't have rats for a long period of time like Russian Ferret Guy, so I can't really compare to a rat. A ferret can be affectionate though. My Raoul climbs me when I greet him in the morning, just to have his hug. He licks me often, and will often "ask" for hugs or attention. They can sleep on you too.

But please, PLEASE keep in mind two things :

One, each ferret has his own personnality. You'll have ferret that only likes to play, ferret that like both hugs and playing, ferrets that are more calm and love cuddling with you. Like us, or any other animal, they have a personnality, and trying to change it is meaningless.

Please, if you (for all general Anons reading) take a ferret, don't be like : "Oh, it's been two days that I have my ferret and he's not very affectionate, what can I do?!" Even if your ferret is an affectionate one, it will take time for him to open up to you. Give him at least a month or two to show his true character. You wouldn't believe the numbers of people who are whining after a day or two because their ferrets are not begging to go on their lap. Er people, you know that maybe your ferret will NEVER hug you or lick you, right? This is not an automatic thing? Maybe they think it's a cat or something.

Pic unrelated of Raoul just waking up, look at that goofy face.
>>
File: 0428162202b~2.jpg (157 KB, 1256x960) Image search: [Google]
0428162202b~2.jpg
157 KB, 1256x960
>>2112526
Good advice. I like the pic, he's totally not ready to wake up.

Pip is really hissy, it's her way of talking. But she has nipped him too hard when he tries to snuggle with her. She is old and getting cranky and he's young and wants a friend. I am thinking of giving her the own cage and get Cookie a buddy.

Pic is the closest Pip will let him sleep to her. Its sad
>>
File: isidore2.jpg (285 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
isidore2.jpg
285 KB, 1024x768
>>2111921
Oh, and Russian bro, I remember sometimes on a old thread, you were talking about your rats' loss and how it made you move to ferrets, even though then you had your ferrets dying at young age.

First of all, I know it's obvious and you know already, but it was just really, really bad luck for your ferrets. Maybe they had shit genealogy, you seems to take real good care of them so it was surely that, just bad luck and/or shit lineage... You didn't go into details, but even if it was by another cause, I'm sure it wasn't caused by you.

About your love of rats, I don't really know what to say. A part of me want to say "If you love them, go for it, take another one"!, but I can only imagine loving intensely an animal only for seeing him gone after 2 or 3 years. It must hurt, and hurt often given you have 2 or more at a time. So... I don't know. You know better. You know if your everyday joy can help you overcome the loss, or if it's just too hard. You're not the only anon that stopped having X or Y animal because it was just too hard. I'm so sorry for your loss, ferrets and rats altogether.

I just hope your little dooking family will live as long as possible!
>>
File: raoul 2.jpg (332 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
raoul 2.jpg
332 KB, 1024x768
>>2112532
Thank you, you're too nice. It just bug me a lot... it's not a one time thing, basically every beginner I see cry because their ferret are not affectionate.

Well females can be like that. :p Yeah, being an old ferret seeing a young thingie boucing everywhere... I suppose it gets on her nerves. I think separating them and giving him a young friend is the way to go!

That is so sad yeah... Poor Cookie, I'm sure he's desperate for her attention.

Here is Raoul a little more awake!
>>
File: 0424161643a.jpg (594 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
0424161643a.jpg
594 KB, 1280x960
>>2112533
Thanks man. It really was rough especially my last ferret Koivu dying, his complications seem so easy to cure but he succumbed to weakness and exhaustan. I treat my pets better than literally everything. My world is about my kit cats and weasels.

I got 2 patchwork rattled whose lives with my friends rats at his place, I help get supplies. My cat is not mean but spooks the rats I just wish they were here at home

It's easy to spoil rats and ferrets rotten when you know they live so short lives

Here's pip
>>
File: 2016-04-29 23.33.50.jpg (768 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-29 23.33.50.jpg
768 KB, 1836x3264
Nice to see another ferret thread! Here is Cocoa Nib enjoying some emu oil.
>>
>>2112834
Adorable

I love ferret feetsies
>>
Is it OK to get a single ferret? I've only ever read that you should get two because they want company.
>>
>>2112547
Ferrets can be so fragile... Again, I'm so sorry. But I'm also glad to see someone who cares so much for his pet.

That's nice to hear that you have rats again! It's surely better for the rats to not be stressed by your cat (and possibly ferret I presume).

Pip is so lovely, she doesn't look like a grandma at all! You have really beautiful ferrets, I know it's not that important but still, they're very nice.

>>2112834
Aaaaw she's like a big baby. What is emu oil exactly?

>>2113175

I know I say it a lot, but it depends really. If you spend enough time with it, it should be fine. Some ferrets don't like the company of other ferrets too. The better thing to do is certainly to take one ferret first. Bond with it, see if he's getting bored easily (go back to his cage by himself, sigh, lie down, only play/is active 1 hour or less a day). If he's bored, give him a companion. If he's fine... Then it's fine.
>>
>>2113245
Thanks for the compliment. I am kinda of picky about ferret looks honestly, I like only certain colors, patterns, and face shapes. I got 2 more cute lil dudes for Cookie coming soon, still thinking of should I put Pip alone but I think she is tolerating Cookie ok.

Pip is pretty old I think, I never knew her real age. She looks young up front but her backside is very gray, she lost her "pants" and tail color and getting more gray. But she's so hyper it's cute. So feisty

What's your favorite ferret color? I like cinnamon with brown or freckled nose and black eyes.
>>
File: best.jpg (35 KB, 320x192) Image search: [Google]
best.jpg
35 KB, 320x192
>>2113256
Black with white under the mouth, mitts and eyebrows. I've only seen one or two besides this picture, and never in real life.
>>
>>2113375
Cute, I never seen one irl either. I wish I could get a black mink with white chin.
>>
File: 2016-04-29 23.33.32.jpg (813 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-29 23.33.32.jpg
813 KB, 1836x3264
>>2112892
I know, right? Their paws are so so cute.

>>2113245
Emu oil is from the fat of an emu (big bird, like an ostrich.) Similar to salmon oil or other fish oils, it's good for ferrets for skin and coat, and also helps prevent hairballs.

I just use emu oil as an alternative to salmon oil because I don't like fish smells. It's a bit more expensive but it's not too bad. They really like it too, so it's a good treat!
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.