[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Furniture pets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9
File: whips.jpg (168 KB, 627x576) Image search: [Google]
whips.jpg
168 KB, 627x576
I have a spare 3 gallon tank and finally have spare money at the same time to pay for something to put it in. I'm pretty into inverts and feel bad keeping something like a reptile in a box anyway. I'm trying to decide between something like a mantis/tarantula/scorpion/whip scorpion/centipede. Which do you consider the most interesting to own and least likely to just hide under a rock the whole time?
>>
>>2093636
All of those are going to be likely to hide under rocks, save if you have a preferred low lighted environment for them. Mantises will forage around more than the others,however. an emperor scorpion can be fun to show off and handle if you enjoy that kind of interaction, plus, you can use a blacklight in the dark and watch them come out and glow.
>>
>>2093643
Yeah I was kind of leaning toward a bigger scorpion, but I feel like it would be more fun to watch a mantis or a whip scorpion feed. I assume all have similar spans or a year or two? I could actually do my own research but.
>>
>>2093648
Not that guy but I have a whip. They are nocturnal and total bitches about light. I probably only witness 10 percent of her feeding. Shes basically a pet rock 2.0 lol
>>
>>2093648
Mantises are the only ones that will live for under a year. Emperor scorpions can live over 10, maybe significantly more if you get a baby, though they will take a while to grow large. Tarantulas range from 7-30+ years depending on genus, sex and your feeding habits. Whips can live between 5-10 years I think. Centipedes 3-10 maybe depending on species.

Tarantulas like green bottle blues (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) will usually stay outside in their web and are pretty active. Others like Cyriopagopus lividum will burrow and you may only see them once a week sitting at the edge of their burrow. Brachypelma albopilosum is my favorite beginner species. Cute as balls and docile. Ravenous appetite and always outside. They are on the upper end of medium sized tarantulas and live for over 20 years.

Emperor scorpions are not common or cheap anymore. Their export was banned so we only have existing wild caught specimens that people hang on to and rarely sell for less than 100 and captive bred babies for 40-50. Heterometrus, the forest scorpion genus, is the new cheap import. They can be much more defensive and hard to handle, but they are active and 6-7 inch adults can be had for $15 still.
>>
>>2093636
A dwarf tarantula species would be pretty nice for this size enclosure. Many tarantulas sit out in the open and don't mind the light. They are also excellent eaters.
>>
File: phyllocrania_paradoxa.jpg (274 KB, 800x524) Image search: [Google]
phyllocrania_paradoxa.jpg
274 KB, 800x524
>>2093636
Ghost mantids are amazing. In bigger tanks they can be kept in groups without a problem, pretty sturdy and easy to breed.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (83 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
83 KB, 1280x720
>>2094803
>3 gallon tank

Dwarf like a Hapalopus or Phrixotrichus? If pic related is a 3 gallon, that's a pretty large tank for one. Most 5-6" medium tarantulas would do well in a 3 gallon, but I'd go smaller for dwarfs unless they're a good webber.
>>
>>2093636
Fuck that shit son that would get stepped on then lit on fire.
>>
>>2094886
Does your mother know that you're a pusspuss?
>>
>>2094923
I'm a girl. It's in my blood.
>>
>>2094886
>Bragging about wanting to hurt a small harmless animal because you're scared of it
>>
File: tumblr_n4oo3dwYv41sq1114o1_1280.jpg (135 KB, 796x550) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4oo3dwYv41sq1114o1_1280.jpg
135 KB, 796x550
>>2093636
jumping spiders
>>
>>2094886
>I hate small animals!
>all small animals must die!
What are you even doing on an animal themed board?
>inb4 arthropods aren't animals
>>
>>2094927
Na you were trained from birth to be deathly afraid of things. Presumably other women.
>>
>>2094927
nah, you're just a weak ass punk. it has nothing to do with your vagina
>>
>>2094927
Your pusspuss is in your pants, anon. Not your blood.
>>
Hijacking in progress:

What's the approximate up front investment for a small, but good, mantid setup?

Also what is the general level of upkeep required? Semi interested in keeping 1-2 adults in a sort of vivarium setup, but will probably just go with a plants only terrarium type thing if the mantids would add much complexity
>>
>>2095267
They aren't
>>2095268
>>2095296
>>2095298
You're just a small dicked fat boy
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (56 KB, 800x886) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
56 KB, 800x886
>>2095352
Depends on species. I kept my shield mantis in one of these (http://www.ebay.com/itm/12x10x10-Screen-Reptile-Cage-DIY-CAGES-SC-mini-FREE-SHIPPING-ALUMINUM-NEW-/121674490564?hash=item1c545d62c4:g:uLMAAOSw7aBVFesm).

$45. Cheaper if you go for a 10 gallon standard tank or similar. Maybe $20. Coconut fiber or similar is $5-10, potted plants like Pothos are around $5. Get your own sticks outside in the woods and disinfect in the oven. Shouldn't run you more than $50.

Upkeep for most hardy species is just feeding them. Nothing to it. Room temp and ambient humidity for many is adequate. Just make sure you research the species you end up getting, as a Chinese Mantis is very different from an Idolomantis diabolica, which will take much more preparation to keep. Ghost Mantises are a good communal species that aren't hard to keep and don't look as boring as Chinamantises.
>>
File: 1457145198250.webm (3 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1457145198250.webm
3 MB, 720x404
>not interacting with your pets
>>
File: 20.jpg (189 KB, 1647x1094) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
189 KB, 1647x1094
>>2095373

that's neat
>>
>>2095358
Thanks helpful anon

I was thinking ghost or orchid.

Orchid seem to require a little more temp/rh control but I'm envisioning a vivarium setup with a phalaenopsis as the center piece, which I already have experience keeping, and the plant and mantis have similar environmental preferences. Would add baked twigs and some leafy cover plants as well.

Ghost look amazing too and I think would be an easier starting point, as well as cheaper/ easier to find

Either way, would a coarse barky substrate work for the mantids, or does it have to be a fine product?

What about a semi coarse mulchy dirt with fine pebble or river pebble on top?
>>
>>2095373
i saw that guys stuff on youtube, he's a dick. he harasses this amblypigid and breaks the antennae arms off of another. not screaming animal abuse or saying there should be laws about mistreating arthropods, just saying this specific guy is a dick
>>
>>2095381
Mantid's don't give a shit about the substrate. not like they're gonna be on the ground
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.