[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it cruel to keep hermit crabs as a pet? I want to get a large
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 11077-004-F484C7FF.jpg (36 KB, 550x433) Image search: [Google]
11077-004-F484C7FF.jpg
36 KB, 550x433
Is it cruel to keep hermit crabs as a pet? I want to get a large tank with maybe 3 of them but I read that they can often die in a single year in captivity...
>>
>>2092784

Only because no one knows how to fucking look after them.
>>
>>2092784
be more specific, there are thousands of species in many Genera

Some marine, some brackish and a few terrestrial

Tell us which species you want. Otherwise it's like saying:
How do I care for a snake?
>>
>>2092787
Basically ones from a local petstore?
Not sure of the species honestly. But I'm Australian and live in Cairns, so it's pretty warm and humid which seems to be what they generally like.
>>
>>2092789
Terrestrial or marine ones.
You should be able to tell

But it seems you mean terrestrial hermits.
These are all (except Birgus latro) Coenobita species.
Maybe C. variabilis. As soon as you know the species, I can tell you how to keep them.
But here are some basics:
About 15 to 30cm high dubstrate (Playsand mixed with coco peat)

2 Waterbowls, deep enough for them to submerge fully in the water, one with saltwater, one with freshwater

Humidity at least 75%, Temp. depends on species but 24 to 30°C during the day should be fine

lots of stuff to climb on and hide under

food:
Fruits, raw fish, shrimps, different seeds and plants
you should be able to find a safe food list online

NO painted shells
Every species prefers different shells of species of snails. But Turbo species are a good guess for all except C. violascens and maybe C. compressus

At least 3 of the same species required
>>
>>2092804
substrate*
god damnit
>>
OP, search google for "Land Hermit Crab Care Guide" with the quotes. The first result should be a facebook link. Read all of that.

I want to post the link directly but the filter accuses me of posting spam.
>>
>>2092784
I recommend checking out hermitcrabpatch.com great info site and online store. Also a good place to buy spare shells.
>>
I consider them one of the hardest animals to keep. They live for decades. If they've lived only a couple years for you, you probably fucked up. Getting them to molt right is a pain. Sometimes they'll drop legs and starve to death. And captive breeding is next to impossible unless you have industrial water circulation capabilities, so they're never not wild caught.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.