[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your pet and a random stranger is stuck in a burning building.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12
File: 1459349952104.png (861 KB, 905x737) Image search: [Google]
1459349952104.png
861 KB, 905x737
Your pet and a random stranger is stuck in a burning building. Who do you save?
>>
File: 1417288673492.gif (856 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
1417288673492.gif
856 KB, 300x240
Pet. No question.
>>
>>2092025
Pet probably
>>
both of them?

Why is there an implied limit?
>>
Both if possible, but I'd definitely save my pet first, especially if I knew I might not get a chance to save the other.
>>
>>2092025
Both if possible. Human first though. My own species always comes first in a life or death scenario.
>>
I'd save a lot of things before a person.
>>
>>2092118
You'd save a pet over a child? Are you evil or just crazy?
>>
I would chose the pet , only because I couldn't live with myself knowing I betrayed a friend
>>
Depends. How old is the stranger, are they disabled? I'd probably rescue a baby or small child over my pet, but I'd feel super shitty about it. I don't see myself rescuing an adult because they're too big for me to carry. Anyone old enough to take care of themselves is on their own.

It's not unlikely that I'd go back in for my pet and die with them, though. You don't really know until these things happen, but I imagine myself freaking out over the guilt of leaving the pet behind and running back in.
>>
pet
>>
File: TEMP.png (48 KB, 407x504) Image search: [Google]
TEMP.png
48 KB, 407x504
>Old stranger?
Go for the pet.

>Young stranger?
Go for the pet.

>A babby?
Go for the pet.

It's not my fault I love my rabbit so much.
>>
pet
>>
>>2092119
the person in question could very well be an asshole , it is a stranger after all. Imagine the possibility of preventing WW3 because you killed neo-Hitler
>>
Both, but pet takes priority.
>>
>>2092151
Preventing WWIII isn't part of the moral dilemma. The random stranger in question is just as likely to be the person who will cure cancer or save the world or something. But that doesn't matter, either. I will always choose to save a random stranger over a pet from a burning building, even if they are a shitty person who wouldn't do the same for me. I love animals very much, and I have saved many of them from death and suffering, but humans are my species. I share a connection with all of you. Imagine the possibility of a world in which more humans care about each other. I think non-human animals would fare better in that world, too.
>>
>>2092168
"muh species"
shut up earthling , your sentimentality makes me puke
>>
>>2092170
Selfishness and lack of empathy for your own species strongly correlates with selfishness and lack of empathy for other species and the earth itself. I'm sorry if you disagree. I'd still save your life.
>>
>>2092025
If anyone would pick a random stranger over their pet (especially if dog or similar) then you shouldn't own that pet. Take a spider or snake or something that loves you as much as you love it.

Morals are bullshit made up rules and you stick to them just because you were told to. Do people actually still believe that morality is some objective good?
Either way, I'm edgy and I don't enjoy people nearly as much as I enjoy being around animals, especially my own pet because I'm attached to it and she is my best friend. Yes, I have autism.
>>
Both.

I'd probably fuck up and end up killing us all anyway.
>>
>>2092181
I've heard that around 60% of the time, people would pick their pet over a random stranger, assuming that it's a cat or a dog. If it's a pet fish or spider, people would always pick the stranger.
>>
>>2092170
Fuck off aylmao. You can't even puke.
>>
Neither. Walk away and buy a new pet that won't go getting into building fires
>>
my dog is 14 years old. I hope that I would save the stranger, but I cannot say for sure that I wouldn't save my dog.
>>
i would save my dog without question. the person is a stranger anyway, so my life would be no different if they died
>>
I'm not leaving without my doggo
>>
>>2092249
Unless people knew you saved a dog over a human, in which case you'd be ostracized.
>>
I value both lives highly, for some reason, granted I know the person isn't some serial killer. I would try to save both.
>>
>>2092252
This.
>>
To everyone who said pet:

Same question but the whole thing is televised and it went viral on youtube. Now the whole world knows you picked the pet over the human. You get a do over. You don't know what type of person it is.
>>
I'd save the stranger and go back in to die with my pet. I want to die.
>>
>>2092279
I'd still save my pets.
>>
>>2092279
That's a bogus question. Anyone who chose their pet would most likely never go in the burning building in the first place. If they wouldn't save a human life if they could, they don't have a shred of the heroism required. Civilization would collapse if this were the only type of person. They probably find the idea awesome. They might swear up and down they'd rescue their cat or whatever, but they wouldn't. They'd wait for the fire department, who would rescue the person first, then try to save the pet if it didn't endanger their own life. Domestication of animals and having animal pets came along with civilization.
>>
>>2092317
You don't understand how much some people love their pets and hate people. Being brave or heroic has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>2092317
You underestimate some pet owners. The bond is nearly like that with your own child, so a random stranger would mean much less. You'd have to be delusional and brainwashed as hell to risk your life for another person before your own family or family simulators.
>>
Little kids or a pretty woman I will rescue over my pets. The pretty woman only because I might get a chance to get laid. The kids are obvious choice unless you lack empathy. However, everyone else I don't give a damn over my pet's safety. Realistically if such a thing occurred I would not know how I will react. Fear and adrenaline makes it hard to have rational thinking.
>>
Yea, I'm not responsible for the jackass who cant get themselves out. I am however responsible for the well being of my animals.

I'm kinda biased though I don't like strangers and usually enjoy the company of my animals more than most people.
>>
File: pepe 51.jpg (68 KB, 526x400) Image search: [Google]
pepe 51.jpg
68 KB, 526x400
Neither
>>
>>2092025
There are very few circumstances where I would ever save the pet over a human being.
>>
>>2092317

You have no understanding of human psychology.
>>
Lol who cares about some random person.

If the family is mad, say you didn't see anyone else. Problem solved.

Also, why is some random stranger in a burning building with my dog...seems shady. That fucker gets what she deserved.
>>
>save the stranger
>tellhim he is your pet now
>>
>>2093340
>save the pet
>tell it it's a stranger now
>>
My pet is old and I've been preparing for her death mentally for a while. I'd probably go for the stranger since my pet's had a good long run. If I actually saw her in pain, though, that would probably override any rational thoughts and make me go for her first.
>>
If my pets and some random stranger are in a burning building together this person either broke into my house and set it on fire, in which case he deserves to burn; or he stole my pets and where he was keeping them is now on fire, in which case he still deserves to burn.

I'm going for my pets
>>
>>2092025
My pet, no questions asked. I've raised him since he was a kitten; he's practically my kid. I ain't picking a random stranger over him.
>>
>>2092025
I would never save a human over whatever animal. Of course if possible i would save both, but i would help the helpless first, the animal in that case!
>>
>>2092025
What's the gender of the random stranger?
>>
>>2092279
I would still choose my animal, mosr humans are capeable of getting out themselves unless its a baby and then i would be able to save both. Anyway if i should resuce my animals i would have to go in a couple of times or more, i own 13 animals so it could take some time !
>>
>>2092285
Aw i'm sorry.. What makes you want to die? :(
>>
i would save my cat first every single time. but then i would go back and try to save the human if i could.
>>
>>2092117
>My own species always comes first in a life or death scenario

this is bullshit logic. You know and are friends with your pet, how do you know the person isn't a huge dick?
The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb.
>>
File: IMG-20160303-WA0001.jpg (464 KB, 1556x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160303-WA0001.jpg
464 KB, 1556x2592
Not even a choice.
>>
>>2092025
You save the person, because human life takes precidence over animal life. People who disagree are out of touch with reality, and immature, as well as blindingly ignorant.
>>
>>2093800

>human life takes precidence
>my clothes are literally made by slave labour
>I gorge myself whilst people starve.

I fucking hate this bullshit logic.

People fucking hate people. There's millions of us. My neighbour could die tomorrow and I would not give a single fuck.

This "human life take precidence" is bullshit hero propaganda. There are too many of us for human life to be precious.

Genetically speaking we are only wired to protect family and mates. That's it.
>>
>>2093801
Genetically speaking rape, cannabolism, and pedophilia are normal biological actions as well.
Knowing the difference between right and wrong is what separates us (some of us) from the animals you would choose over your fellow man.
>>
>>2093807
but humans are animals?
we're no different we can just speak and build stuff.
we treat each other like shit and people don't care.
animals care about their owners, they depend on you, they depend that you give them love and take care of them. They also give you a ton of love back, they don't care how you look or smell they just love that you love them.
animals are ten times better than humans, and i would save an animal over any human besides a child, but only because children aren't totally damaged yet.
I prefer animal company over human company, they are way nicer
>>
>>2093807

>Genetically speaking rape, cannabolism, and pedophilia are normal biological actions as well.

Actually they're not. Most people find the idea of cannibalism completely repulsive. Most would not rape a woman and most are not attracted to children.

That's not a choice...

>right and wrong

There's no such thing. No god, everything we are and will be is a bunch of cells.

Don't try and be intelligent. If you can't understand why someone would save the life of their beloved pet, and we're speaking a dog who may have been with them since childhood over a random stranger who may not even speak their language or be of the same race. you are a fool.

I've already pointed out the hypocrisy of your argument. Everything you use is at the expense of other humans. So why are you pretending like you care?
>>
>>2093807
Yes, but at the same time selfishness and prioritization are why we can have friends and family instead of being completely alone. So I'm going to burn some clean conscience and get my dog first.
>>
>>2093808
>we're no different
>animals care about their owners,
> prefer animal company over human company, they are way nicer
How old are you?
>>
>>2093811

Good lord. Even if you do reply, i'm not going to argue with you. 95% of your arguments are literally "i'm right and your wrong" "now im going to insult you"
>>
>>2093811
He's probably older than you.
>>
>>2093809
>don't try and be intelligent
>says the person trying to argue that it's ok to let another HUMAN die for the sake of "muh pet"
I understand this is 4chan, but honestly you really are out of touch with reality if you honestly believe you are in the right.
And before you go clamoring for a source or proof, you should know that the ability to choose from right or wrong, or good and evil, is instilled in to us from the very morals you claim don't exist. This is simple shit a child knows, how your thought process became so skewed is none of my business, but don't try to project your bullshit as the status quo, thankfully you are in the minority.
>>
>>2093814
>he
>thought process of a preteen girl
>>
>>2093817

Bro, take the fedora off.
>>
>>2093813
>95% of your argument is I'm right your wrong
I have that luxury when the argument in question is human life vs animal life
>>
>>2093819
Now who is resorting to insults? Oh, and to remind you, you are the one arguing that animal life is more important than human life.
>>
>>2093811
I like how you dont respond to my answer in a whole, but take out bites and state "how old are you" if you want to argue why i should choose to save an adult human over my pet, i'm open minded and want to hear your opinion. But what you're doing are just plain stupid
>>
>>2093821
I feel like you're mixing multiply people i can tell you, you're at least having three that disagrees with you, so don't mix us together.
>>
File: 1454697202145.gif (1 MB, 680x570) Image search: [Google]
1454697202145.gif
1 MB, 680x570
>the overriding sentiment of 'animal before human' in this thread

Fucking state of our species.
>>
>>2093853
More like "friend before stranger", really.
>>
>>2092252
That's the problem with today's society. No one minds their own damn business anymore.
>>
>>2093800
Except human life has no more worth than any other creature except for what the individual decides it is.

I don't give a fuck about strangers and dislike most of the ones I come across.
>>
File: katze-milch-600.jpg (98 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
katze-milch-600.jpg
98 KB, 600x450
>>
>>2093853
considering how endangered humans are, we really have to work hard not to go extinct
>>
File: 1420365016345.gif (2 MB, 341x321) Image search: [Google]
1420365016345.gif
2 MB, 341x321
>All this moral relativism
>>
the stranger is my pet, yes son 2 birds I am stoned
>>
File: 11182015070948.jpg (43 KB, 728x577) Image search: [Google]
11182015070948.jpg
43 KB, 728x577
>>2092025
>Pet fish in a 20 gallon.
I scoop the fish in a cup and dump the tank out on the fire.
Next
>>
>>2093765
Points for knowing the real phrase anon
>>
>>2092025
is the random stranger a hot chick who will fuck me senseless as thanks? who am I kidding save the pet always the pet
>>
>>2092106
to test whether you value humans or your animal more you stupid fuck.

and the answer is that your pet > 99% of humans.
>>
>>2092181
You don't have to keep attempting to discredit your own feelings by saying you have autism or that you're edgy.

Literally any normal family that owns a pet would rather save their pet than a stranger. Some would be less willing to admit it than others because they'd fear going against the "moral" thing to do. Of course as you say, what's moral is completely subjective.
>>
>>2092025
humans first.
>>
I save the random stranger. My pet shouldn't haven't even of been near a burning building much less in it. The stupid fuck.
>>
>>2092119
Yes
>>
>>2092801
This. Fucker probably stole my dog. They fully deserve what's coming to them.
>>
After reading this thread I can't decide if it's a reflection of how bad society has become, or if the typical poster ITT is so out of touch that they can't accept the fact a humans life is more important than their fucking cat.
No matter how attached you have become to your pet, it doesn't change the fact that it is a choice between human and animal.
>>
>>2095822
surely you've got a compelling argument other than legal consequences as for why you should choose the human?
>>
>>2092025
My pet
Lifelong loyalty can't be measured against a random stranger who I might be able to come back for or who might be able to save himself
>>
>>2095822
Sounds like you've never had a good dog then
I pity you
>>
>>2095826
>needs an explanation as to why human life is more important than animal life
>>2095828
>still can't understand that no matter how attached you are to you pet, human life is more important than animal life
Well, I guess I got my answer, /an/ is just full of idiots who can't accept a very common and standard view of the importance of human life.
And no, I won't be wasting my time trying to prove something already universally accepted by people who are not mentally chsllenged.
>>
>>2095834
It seems like one side of this argument can explain their decision, while the other provides an empty "because I say so" argument.
>>
>>2095838
If you haven't figured it out by now, why should I waste my time explaining it. Do you need to know why the sun is hot? Do you need an explanation as to why water is wet? Asking for a detailed answer as to why your precious cat takes a back seat to a human being is no different anon. This is a very basic principal, and widely accepted across the planet, just not this board apparently.
>>
File: toy-story-popcorn.gif (2 MB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
toy-story-popcorn.gif
2 MB, 250x231
Let's see. It's a criminal penalty in my country to abandon a person in a situation like that (if you are already inside but choose not to help, the thing depends entirely on how crazy sad family of diseased is and only the jury could help) . And it's nearly impossible for a shit cardio neet to make it into burning building and stealthily save only the pet, do the 360 and walk away. So I guess it's a painless CO2 death to me before the fire even gets me.
tl;dr Like some of the most useless human shits of course I'm prideful as fuck and would go for the both just to fap to the memories later and as a result just would die along with them.
>>
>>2092025
if the stranger is a negro or a spic, then pet.
Asian or White? I can always get another pet
>>
>pet run away, third party building
pet + myself
>pet was stolen, the fucker's house
pet + myself
>they are burning on my property
they are both on me
>>
>>2095734
Pet.

If it were a situation where I actually knew and/or cared about the person, obviously I'd take them. The cat will probably jump off of the balcony or some bullshit before I can get it anyway.
>>
File: 1417968327207.gif (77 KB, 774x690) Image search: [Google]
1417968327207.gif
77 KB, 774x690
>>2095840
Racism is widely accepted as a bad thing, yet most people still are racist to some degree, even though they would never admit it to anyone they know.

We're just being honest here.
>>
>>2095941
And nobody would expect you to validate that racism is a bad thing. Much in the same way nobody should expect an explanation as to why human life is held to a higher standard than animal life.
>>
>>2095952
Zoophobia and racism is literally two sides of the same coin. People who have a disdain for the "bestial" have a tendency to degrade people by attributing them with bestial traits, which is very symptomatic for racist rhetoric. If you hate animals, you are very likely to also hate people from other races, while also comparing them to various animals.

The only valid answer to this problem is to save whoever you care about the most, regardless of whether it's an human or a non-human.
>>
>>2095962
>The only valid answer to this problem is to save whoever you care about the most, regardless of whether it's an human or a non-human.
I respectfully disagree. How much you care about the person or animal only makes the decision an emotional one, because I feel that logically the answer is already provided, society demands that the human is of more importance. Like it or not we are all held accountable.
>>
>>2095968
>How much you care about the person or animal only makes the decision an emotional one
Fine with me, considering humans are emotional beings. The notion that human life is categorically more valuable than a non-human ditto is just as emotional. I'm not saying it's wrong to care more about humans. When choosing a non-human friend over a human stranger gets stigmatised, however, I have a problem.
>>
>>2095968
>logical answer
>society demands

lol anon, social norms have nothing to do with logic, quite the contrary. The only logic that could be applied is that animals are more helpless, therefore they need someone else's help. If it's your pet then there's also emotional reasons.
>>
>implying I couldn't save both
what do you take me for?

but if I had to choose then my pet first, just because I have personal connection/a relationship with them. I do not have that with a stranger
>>
>>2093800

implying humans arent animals
>>
>>2092317
I agree with this anon.

>>2092519
These people have a small and warped sense of reality.

It's just selfish not to try and save the person.
>>
All you people who think they're taking the moral high ground by saying they'd save the human sadden me. I would save my pet over some people I'm acquainted with because people are fucking scumbags and I love my pet unconditionally just like my pet loves me, you don't get that from a majority or any people for that matter because were all selfish. The problem with humans is we think were above animals because of our conscience when the reality is; individually our lives arent anymore important than other organisms.

p.s I'm not some dumb vegan hippie libtard I just look at the world for what it is
>>
For those of you just joining us in this thread, allow me to summarize:

>I would choose animal!
Good choice! You're a compassionate and logical person!

>I would choose the person!
YOU'RE AWFUL
>But....but I legitimately value the human life over my pet....
NO U SUCK, AND I'M ABOUT TO PSYCHOANALYZE YOU AND TELL YOU WHY YOU'RE WRONG HOOMANS ARE TRASH AND EVIL
>>
>>2095982
Not really. From what I read, it's the other way around. Literally no one in the thread has moralised against those who chose the human.
>>
>>2095979
Couldn't have said it better.
>>
>>2095990
Kek, almost all of those answered someone who attacked them for choosing the dog.
>>
>>2093903
the chinese will make up for the lack of population
>>
All lives are equal but I obviously have more of a bond with my pet.

Answer: Pet
>>
>>2092025
I carry my pet and tell the human to follow me out of the building.
>>
>>2095899
>Good Samaritan laws

kek what? I thought that was just in Seinfeld
>>
>>2095840
The sun is hot because of nuclear fusion constantly taking place at its core, releasing immense amounts of energy as heat.
Water is wet because of hydrogen bonding between individual molecules, allowing it to stick together, but these bonds are weak enough between 0-100 C that it retains a fluid form, so to you it appears as a liquid and feels "wet".
The fact that you don't want to know why these things you take for granted are the way they are shows your ignorance. You keep screaming about HUMANITY!! But you fail to realize that it is human nature to question everything around us. This is the basis of science and philosophy.
We've all explained why we think a stranger's life is less valuable than that of our animal companion's, and I've even answered your inane examples. Now explain to us why human life is more valuable, without using the circular logic of "human lives are more valuable because it's just more valuable and I don't need to explain it." Otherwise, it kinda sounds like you're just treating the value of human life as an unquestionable dogma, and are too afraid to think beyond what society tells you to.
If you believe human life is 'universally more Valuable', you imply that we are the central focus of the universe; that other species should value us above themselves because, as a law, we are fundamentally more important. What you are overlooking is that we are raised to believe this from birth, in the same way every species is. It's a social technique for a species' self-preservation. If you choose to blindly follow this antiquated notion that human life must always be preserved, just realize you are clinging to an ancient ideal developed when were struggling against other species for survival and were ironically no better than animals ourselves.
>>
>>2095979
I'd save your life over my pet's life, even though you wouldn't do the same for me. You can feel saddened about it while you go home and receive unconditional love from your pet while mine is dead. I don't think I'm a better person than you, but I do think you're a person like me. I'm sorry people have hurt you. People have hurt me, too.
>>
>>2096302
Your argument holds up if you are completely independent of, and have never benefitted from another human being or human society. Otherwise, it is very hypocritical. Since you are on the internet, and if you are the owner of a pet, I assume your argument to be hypocritical. You benefit from humans, but will argue against giving benefit.
>>
My cat, because fuck you. If people knew... Still my cat, because still fuck you.
>>
>>2096250
Oh, my bad. Your post is helpful. Actually, one of the mandatory criteria is if I'm responsible for this exact person or his shitty situation. And OP said, a stranger.
>The deliberate abandoning without aid of person who is in a state of danger to human life or health, and who is deprived of the possibility of taking measures towards self-preservation because of his young age, old age, sickness, or in consequence of his helplessness, in cases where the convicted person had the possibility to render aid to this person and was obliged to take care of him, or who has put him in the state of danger to life and health, shall be punishable by a /more text/.
>>
a better question would be if you would save your pet over a child.

i still imagine most people would pick their pets, but it'd be harder.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.